Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Platystemon posted:

You’re not wrong, but Bucchere should keep his mouth shut in public.
He should have done that from the very start. Even if the dude had lived, he'd have been sued into oblivion based on his statements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The number of people convicted just because they couldn't keep their loving mouth shut is staggering.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Is this enforced for UPS? The last guy rolled up to my house with AirPods in.

Yes, but once you've been driving awhile, it's generally only if someone complains. Just like the "all doors must be closed while the vehicle is running" rule - you can spot the newbies when they close the (cabin) door a few times. Once they've been on the truck more than a day, those doors only get closed when it's raining or cold.

You have no idea how amazing it feels to have your leg hanging out just enough to catch the breeze when you're doing 60 mph in one of those tanks. :getin: Though the ball sweat stench will probably cause multiple wrecks behind you..

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I honestly hope it's not enforced. If you're dealing with a big non-air-conditioned vehicle on public streets all day you deserve to listen to your own music while you're on the clock.

This too. Even Fedex trucks are (mostly) air conditioned, and USPS is moving that direction. The LLVs aren't, but they at least have fans (something UPS drivers may or may not have, depending on how decrepit the truck is). Their current bidding for the LLV replacement includes AC, and a lot of letter carriers that have to dismount (walk the neighborhood instead of driving mailbox to mailbox) are now driving either Dodge Caravans or Sprinters.

Funny enough... the LLV's original replacement, which was based on the Ford 4.no SOHC Explorer drivetrain, got phased out really quick, it's pretty rare to see one today. Pretty sure they got killed off because of the horrific timing chain setup. Sad that the 80s S-10 the LLVs are based on just keep going (when they're not bursting into fire).

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I used to run a package car operation for UPS and the most certainly have GPS in the vehicles tied to their DIADs which can provide directions to their next stop.

A driver with 25 stops has something like 15 trillion trillion different routing options to choose from- most drivers are expected to make around 120 deliveries a day and their peddles are planned by an algorithm the night before. Deviation off route by more than a mile is a big deal so no, nothing that isn't hard wired to the vehicles ECM and feeding delicious analytics back to the home office.

edit: meant to quote the other guy, agreeing with you

Good to know; the guy I rode with last swore up and down the DIAD couldn't do anything to help. He'd ignore the "cross this major road multiple times into the same neighborhoods" routing to avoid the no left turns rule, but that didn't seem to deviate enough to set off any alarm bells. But he would also plan u-turns well enough that he only spent 1-3 seconds in reverse - usually pulling into someone's driveway, giving it reverse just long enough to get it moving, then back into neutral to coast back to the road.

He claimed he was generally expected to make about 200 deliveries off peak, up to 400 during the holidays. We'd have to offload to other drivers who finished early several times, but I was just a seasonal helper for 2 holiday seasons. He was driving a much older truck though - I had a picture of the build tag (can't find it now), but it was a 1995 with an International + 5+1 Muncie (granny low). Odometer was stuck at 399,999 (driver claimed it'd been that way for well over a year), and it would chuff its way downhill if you didn't yank the parking brake as if your life depended on it on even the slightest incline.

Guessing he was more of a creature of habit than anything if the DIAD could actually provide routing. Then again, he was also an external hire, and had only been with them for less than 2 years.

Phanatic posted:

I kind of wish you could turn this on with Waze. A few times it's taken me to make a left turn across a busy multilane road where I have a stop sign and nobody else does, when there's a traffic light a block away.

This is where the "make a right turn, then make the nearest legal u-turn" comes in handy. It's a strategy I use multiple times a day. :v:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I worked for FedEx from 2010-2012, none of the trucks had AC unless you were in a box truck. The routes didn't have right turns only and I think they were just getting new computer thingies with gps but it wasnt there yet.

That job was poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yield signs: how do they work? The answer may surprise you, if you're the driver of the dark grey minivan that nearly slammed into me yesterday afternoon!

If you have a yield sign from a right-turn lane, you must yield to traffic that has turned left and is now on the road your exit lane intersects with. So simple, but so many people get it wrong.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

STR posted:

Yes, but once you've been driving awhile, it's generally only if someone complains. Just like the "all doors must be closed while the vehicle is running" rule - you can spot the newbies when they close the (cabin) door a few times. Once they've been on the truck more than a day, those doors only get closed when it's raining or cold.

You have no idea how amazing it feels to have your leg hanging out just enough to catch the breeze when you're doing 60 mph in one of those tanks. :getin: Though the ball sweat stench will probably cause multiple wrecks behind you..

This too. Even Fedex trucks are (mostly) air conditioned, and USPS is moving that direction. The LLVs aren't, but they at least have fans (something UPS drivers may or may not have, depending on how decrepit the truck is). Their current bidding for the LLV replacement includes AC, and a lot of letter carriers that have to dismount (walk the neighborhood instead of driving mailbox to mailbox) are now driving either Dodge Caravans or Sprinters.

Funny enough... the LLV's original replacement, which was based on the Ford 4.no SOHC Explorer drivetrain, got phased out really quick, it's pretty rare to see one today. Pretty sure they got killed off because of the horrific timing chain setup. Sad that the 80s S-10 the LLVs are based on just keep going (when they're not bursting into fire).

Oh Iron Duke engines. No power, decent mileage, and built like a cockroach: they don't die.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Speaking of the Iron Duke, what killed off the Quad4?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

iospace posted:

Oh Iron Duke engines. No power, decent mileage, and built like a cockroach: they don't die.

Plus the sound of one wheezing up the hill or across a completely flat road is the eternal signal of "oh, the mail's here."

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Colostomy Bag posted:

Speaking of the Iron Duke, what killed off the Quad4?

NVH

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, read they were always struggling with NVH but figured there was something else that really did it in.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

On the flip side, it did replace the iron duke eventually and ran from 88 - 02. So it lived a decent life.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, read they were always struggling with NVH but figured there was something else that really did it in.

They always had issues with oiling, head gaskets, water pumps (timing chain driven, even), and timing chains. They just weren't long-lived engines.

The first and second generation of Ecotecs that replaced it also had a timing chain driven water pump. :ohdear: Not sure if the newer ones still do.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

STR posted:

They always had issues with oiling, head gaskets, water pumps (timing chain driven, even), and timing chains. They just weren't long-lived engines.

The first and second generation of Ecotecs that replaced it also had a timing chain driven water pump. :ohdear: Not sure if the newer ones still do.

TBH I just read about that chain driven waterpump today before your post. One of those...egads, hold my bear moments.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Wait, why is chain driven water pump a bad thing? I thought chains were better than belts

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Door Frame posted:

Wait, why is chain driven water pump a bad thing? I thought chains were better than belts

Front seal leaks on the wp, chain won't be happy.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

The Door Frame posted:

It's basically a countdown to milkshake instead of oil.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

Water pumps don't always last the life of the engine.

In addition to what Colostomy Bag mentioned, the bulk of these engines were in FWD vehicles - making a water pump replacement an engine-out job (can't get the timing cover off with the engine in the car, at least not easily... it's easier to just drop the subframe).

If for some reason the water pump were to lock up, you can also kiss your valvetrain goodbye.

Alkydere posted:

And yeah, thank gently caress Texas police are still too into tradition to do sneaky poo poo like that shadow-text. All of their cruisers and SUVs are black and white with visible lightbars, and the sherrifs are in brown.

Not so fast there buddy.

There's a city on I-45 that does shadow text on their speed trap cruisers, and they're dark brown or black to begin with (they're city cops).

Richardson PD used to use exclusively blue cars. Dallas PD uses a mix of white, black/white, and black. Arlington uses blue and white. Plano uses a mix of all black, and black and white. I've seen TONS of Frisco, Plano, and Garland cops with hidden lights and no markings, and even saw a Frisco cop in an Escalade before, hidden lights galore. Dallas County Sheriff uses white cars, IIRC. Even DPS (highway patrol) has mostly switched to almost all black (with a white hood). Corinth has at least one shadow text vehicle, I wouldn't be surprised if Hickory Creek does.

Austin, so far, seems to have very bland, traditional cars that just say "POLICE". They have a shocking number of Crown Vics still on the road here too, I'm having to re-train myself to watch for Crown Vic headlights behind me.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 6, 2018

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
San Antonio has ghosted traffic enforcement units. They drive around busting people for speeding in areas where they can't run roadside radar.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I can tell you that unless its one of their main fleet vehicles that come with a factory package (taurus/explorer/charger/impala/crown vic/whatever), you will have a very hard time telling unless you get a good look up close or know where and what to look for. Typically most jurisdictions will buy a bunch of random vehicles off lease, sometimes not even american cars, and if their install shop is worth a poo poo you'll have no idea until you're getting pulled over.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I noticed two strange unmarked cars on my commute yesterday in Salt Lake City, one a Hyundai and the other a Toyota. Only way I could tell at all was that they had already pulled someone over so their hidden lights were going. They stood out because I think it’s the first time I’ve seen cop cars that weren’t an American make. Most of the cop cars here are Chargers or Tauruses with a few Darts in the mix.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

GutBomb posted:

I noticed two strange unmarked cars on my commute yesterday in Salt Lake City, one a Hyundai and the other a Toyota. Only way I could tell at all was that they had already pulled someone over so their hidden lights were going. They stood out because I think it’s the first time I’ve seen cop cars that weren’t an American make. Most of the cop cars here are Chargers or Tauruses with a few Darts in the mix.

Some places use seizure and drug forfeiture cars.

RollsRoyce
Feb 11, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

GutBomb posted:

with a few Darts in the mix.

You may not outrun Motorola, but you're sure as gently caress getting away from Dart

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Long Francesco posted:

I can tell you that unless its one of their main fleet vehicles that come with a factory package (taurus/explorer/charger/impala/crown vic/whatever), you will have a very hard time telling unless you get a good look up close or know where and what to look for. Typically most jurisdictions will buy a bunch of random vehicles off lease, sometimes not even american cars, and if their install shop is worth a poo poo you'll have no idea until you're getting pulled over.

University Park TX currently (well, as of a few months ago, but I've seen it several times in the past year) has an unmarked Ford Fusion with both driver side doors caved in (probably purposefully; no paint damage, looks like they were kicked). No markings, just dark as hell tint (which UP would pull you over for the moment you hit their jurisdiction), and when the light hits just right, you can see the LED bars in the back window. I saw that car pull people over a couple of times.

Lewisville TX used to have a riced out 99-00 Civic Si (this was in the early 00s) - I'm guessing they'd seized it from someone in some kind of bust. Dropped, loud exhaust, 17's, dark tint. If you revved at them, they'd rev back, the light turned green, you'd take off, they'd pull up next to you and hit the lights. I, uh, used to have a bit of fun baiting people if I saw that Civic at the same light (since I also drove a riced out Civic at the time... shut up I was 22).

Carrollton TX used to have a 1st gen Ford Aerostar with peeling paint and plenty of patina (this was in 2000, but it was an early Aerostar with the sealed beam headlights).

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

A close call from this morning:

https://youtu.be/otcRxaktiF0

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

What kind of enormous vehicle do you drive that they comically didn't see at all?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That would imply they ever checked their mirrors.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
As a dumb teenager with a six-month-old license, I almost did that once.

Once.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
*daffyduckishly* Woopth! Had the thilly thing in reverth-th!

RollsRoyce
Feb 11, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

flightless greeb posted:

What kind of enormous vehicle do you drive that they comically didn't see at all?

Looks like a Wrangler

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Hey cool I get to use my dashcam twice in a single day!

https://youtu.be/4tQihScI9l8
(I stopped and gave them my info so they could get the video)

flightless greeb posted:

Big white Jeep that is also invisible at the same time.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
how noticeable a car should be is inversely proportional to how noticeable it actually is. my eye searingly yellow and stupidly loud Neon would nearly get hit probably once a day. my hyper boring gray escape? its like moses parting the Red Sea

idgi

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

tuna posted:

A close call from this morning:

https://youtu.be/otcRxaktiF0

https://youtu.be/TsodSKsdRMk

Jump to 55 seconds (can't figure out how to embed time while phone posting.)

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 7, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beach Bum posted:

As a dumb teenager with a six-month-old license, I almost did that once.

Once.

:same:

I pulled out of the car park enough to see around a hedge, then saw a pedestrian on the pavement and immediately started backing up for them.

Someone had pulled up behind me and boxed me in but they were quick on the horn.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

This one isn't anything spectacular, just a dangerous pass but it incensed the really cool looking 240z in the lane next to me to give chase and I think it looks cool as he takes off lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyaGbKVJG7g

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

how noticeable a car should be is inversely proportional to how noticeable it actually is. my eye searingly yellow and stupidly loud Neon would nearly get hit probably once a day. my hyper boring gray escape? its like moses parting the Red Sea

idgi

Target fixation?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hey fuckwit, if you take offence to being honked at, pay loving attention at red lights so you'll notice when they go green.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
These are the pedestrians you share a freeway with! (sorry about the laugh)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EgAzfjSVwg

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PT6A posted:

Hey fuckwit, if you take offence to being honked at, pay loving attention at red lights so you'll notice when they go green.

I actually, no joke, yelled at a car stopped at a formerly red light today while on my bicycle to move through a green light.

iospace fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 8, 2018

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
It figures, one of the only assholes in this town using their turn signal and he's left it on by mistake. Serves me right for looking ahead before taking off, instead of taking off with my head cranked left the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P-iBmOPCsU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw in PYF:

https://i.imgur.com/8g9SiHT.mp4