Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

some next level stuff right here

https://www.reddit.com/r/Barca/comments/93pqd6/the_elephant_in_the_room/

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

quote:

I am just going to say it outright, “The Barça way is a spectrum and not a point.”
Well the first part of that quote is certainly correct.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Agree 100% except for Morelos comment. Aye he did flick a leg out but ffs that’s never ever a red for any other team in our league and we all know it. It’s time to stop all this paranoia bollocks, the officials have put a marker down the day, as they did for our first game last season in the hibs game. It’s well beyond the point of question, it’s loving out and out cheating.

No oval office will convince me otherwise

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Windass dived and all

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
https://twitter.com/evening_tele/status/1026792694461415426?s=21

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Here’s Billy Haisley’s novella on a player he’s probably never seen play outside of a YouTube clip

https://deadspin.com/the-best-dribbler-in-the-world-is-back-in-the-premier-l-1828229389

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm a fan of Adama but he gives the ball away a lot. Haisley is loving stupid

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

blue footed boobie posted:

Here’s Billy Haisley’s novella on a player he’s probably never seen play outside of a YouTube clip

https://deadspin.com/the-best-dribbler-in-the-world-is-back-in-the-premier-l-1828229389

oh my god lol

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

This all checks out.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Lol no wonder univision can't find a buyer for this shitblog

During the 2017-18 season, Adama amassed 243 total dribbles in league play. The next highest dribbler in the Championship, Luke Freeman, completed 135 dribbles. And Freeman played almost twice as many minutes as Traoré. Even more stark than his total dribble numbers are his averages. Per 90 minutes, Adama successfully executed an average of 9.6 dribbles. That’s an average of three entire dribbles more than the next player who played at least a couple hundred minutes. If we restrict it to players who were on the pitch for at least 1,000 minutes, Traoré’s 9.6 is more than five dribbles up on Jeremie Boga’s 4.6 average.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Everyone else at Deadspin is good

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

African AIDS cum posted:

Have you met our parent company, Univision? Well, let me tell you about Univision: it’s a shoddily run TV outfit owned by a deranged media baron who makes awful TV shows for hyperactive children. It is terminally incapable of making money and is located in the absolute shittiest part of Miami. You might say the Univision is the Miami Dolphins of TV networks. Or perhaps that analogy is even better if you turn it around.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Everyone else at Deadspin is good

A wicka post

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

An [I don't even remember if you had another username because you are insanely one-note and forgettable] post

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Why do American football writers love numbers so much?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Chas McGill posted:

Because it makes the sport seem more like baseball.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

They also heavily rely on stats because they don't actually watch very much football or know what they're talking about.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Wait for my Medium.com thinkpiece on the precise angles of Guardiola triangles and the passes therein.

code:

FERNANDINHO
       DE BRUYNE
         STERLING
        AGUERO
          SILVA
       SANE

Subscribe on Patreon!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Kimoa Kid posted:

They also heavily rely on stats because they don't actually watch very much football or know what they're talking about.

When did you start writing for them?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

When did you start writing for them?

Right thread

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Chas McGill posted:

Opportunity, really. The market for writers for the major American sports is saturated, and there’s no reason to read some random dude’s blog, so you end up with dipshits like Haisley trying to pass themselves off as soccer writers in order to actually make some money and gain a following while writing about sports.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Opportunity, really. The market for writers for the major American sports is saturated, and there’s no reason to read some random dude’s blog, so you end up with dipshits like Haisley trying to pass themselves off as soccer writers in order to actually make some money and gain a following while writing about sports.

also, over the past 10 years the sabermetrics movement has totally consumed US sportswriters, partially because they identify more with GMs (who like them went to elite educational institutions, are "smart", and share similar socio-cultural trappings) than coaches or athletes, and thus everything has to be about numbers, Advanced Stats, and showing you're not like those "old" people

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/bar...-perfectly-fine

La Liga level editing right here

quote:

It's a strong bet that those trying to assess how Philippe Coutinho might flourish at Barcelona this season will first draw conclusions from his goal and assist in last season's Copa del Rey final, the La Liga winners' medal already in his possession and the absence of legend Andres Iniesta, whose "space" the Brazilian will be asked to occupy.

There's another, probably more significant, way to assess Coutinho: his mentality, the greatest value he can now offer the Spanish champions.

In winning La Liga, Ernesto Valverde returned an almost flawless first year's test score to his employers.

A league and cup Double, a 17-point cushion on rivals Real Madrid, 93 points, 99 league goals and within one match of an unbeaten season. Ultra-robust.

That single defeat, however, was mind-boggling.

Levante, Valencia's "other" team, had spent most of the season as whipping boys, four games earlier had been fourth-bottom, were still in relegation trouble, and hadn't registered a home win against Barca since 1964.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

lol it's like they forgot what they were writing about after two paragraphs

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Weaponized Cum posted:

Have you met our parent company, Univision? Well, let me tell you about Univision: it’s a shoddily run TV outfit owned by a deranged media baron who makes awful TV shows for hyperactive children. It is terminally incapable of making money and is located in the absolute shittiest part of Miami. You might say the Univision is the Miami Dolphins of TV networks. Or perhaps that analogy is even better if you turn it around.

My wife and I ran through a list of all the things that we every watched on that channel, and it was almost exclusively content from Televisa

And now Sabado Gigante is gone, lmao

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Billy's doubling down

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I like how now it's "his claim" instead of "my claim"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ban me when he compares this dude to LeBron (unless he's already done so, in which case please don't ban me, it's gonna happen at the end of the F1 season anyway)

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Did this actually happen?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Brony Car posted:

His son Paolo is 3. So... no? But sorta yes in that Paolo is a form of Paul?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Brony Car posted:

I vaguely remember him saying that he regretted not playing with Paul Scholes, and it really seems like something he'd say. Don't know about the rest of it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Crazy Ted posted:

I vaguely remember him saying that he regretted not playing with Paul Scholes, and it really seems like something he'd say. Don't know about the rest of it.

I thought that was Xavi

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

there was a big story years ago about how all the barca boys had to draw straws to decide who would switch jerseys with him in the Champion's League final.

and the Xavi interview where he said...

quote:

Paul Scholes! A role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. I've spoken to Xabi Alonso about him. He's spectacular, he has it all: the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I can kind of buy Scholes being a "players player" in that players who played with or against him rate him really highly because of his football knowledge and awareness but most of that comes when you don't have the ball. There are a ton of footballers who have been brilliant in moments on the ball but are total numpty's if the ball isn't at their feet. That's not taking away from Scholes being a very technically good player, his long range passing and shooting was excellent. He always struck me as a player who was never out of position when he played and in his early years he scored a ton of goals as a second striker making late runs into the box. Shite tackler though and I always wonder what would have happened if that air punch at Xabi Alonso had landed.

The whole "only regret/and that player was Paul Scholes" meme stuff is still funny though.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

pik_d posted:

I thought that was Xavi

Yeah the hyperbolic Scholes quotes are usually attributed to Xavi.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

BWV posted:

there was a big story years ago about how all the barca boys had to draw straws to decide who would switch jerseys with him in the Champion's League final.

and the Xavi interview where he said...

im glad those guys - xavi, iniesta, messi - are all dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Brony Car posted:

Yes, this did actually happen