Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

TjyvTompa posted:

Yes. You can also get blueprints from base scanning mission and the science console but to get all blueprints you must visit the manufacturing buildings, there is no other way. Also there is a set list for each species so once you stop getting blueprints from 1 species systems you need to switch to another.

I'm not sure about the abandoned object part but one extremely irritating thing is that different animals can have several different types of "animals". If you put down the scanner immediately after scanning an animal it sometimes says "Animal scanned but it is of the same species as one I already scanned before" or something like that. Think of it like first scanning the puppy and then the full-grown animal and the game counts them as different animals but not different species, which is what you need to scan all "animals". Yes, it's confusing, annoying and frustrating. It was waaaaay more common at release to find these kind of duplicate animals so I thought they had been removed but I got one yesterday so....

Yeah they were just dupes of existing animals except with a whiter nose. I did finally just find the last animal which was a rare large creature that somehow evaded all attempts until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Some more Starcraft Overlords.

These guys were predators. That gazelle looking thing is hosed.

Thankfully these are not as I share my main base's planet with them. Gross but harmless.

Another planet newretrowave.

One of these planets.

Space is pretty.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

1.54 is out on PS4

Nothing too significant but hey, stability updates. :shrug:

Well, poo poo. I have to see if my names came back or if I should the Great Name Reversion as a new bug.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

toiletbrush posted:

This isn't to cause an argument, I've just been interested in procedural generation for years and discovering how limited it is in NMS is disappointing.

No. You might see your fiftieth 30-eyed jumping pineapple monster and think it's unique because it's a different colour, but others say 'oh, one of those again' and wish we could see even just a 31-eyed jumping pineapple monster. But sadly the procgen just isn't that deep.

There's a small number of prebuilt biomes, each with a small number of prebuilt assets for textures and flora. Ships, fauna and weapons are all built from a small number of prefab parts also. The procgen cobbles these things together, but doesn't do anything to create additional variety other than palette shift some textures and change the scale of the flora and fauna. This is a shame, first because the actual number of assets is very small, and secondly because systems for generating flora, fauna and other things from scratch have been around for decades (look up L-Systems, for example), as has procedural texture generation and systems to distort and modify existing models to create more variety.

The terrain gen is impressive as hell though.

I'm enjoying the game for real this time, but apart from the other issues you mention, I've been reflecting on how disappointing the terrain gen is. Not talking about planet variety or colors, strictly the topography - as far as I can tell your options are:
- oceans (Y/N)
- (very rare) rivers (if you have oceans; awkward long pebble gullies in terrain otherwise)
- choose one: gentle rolling hills / slightly sharper hills with frequent lakes / irregular bumpy eggcrate. Your planet may have proper oceans, but it will never have proper continents, just vast swathes of tightly interspersed hills and lakes
- 1 'wacky' terrain feature: donut plateaus, tapered cylinders, pointy bunny ear things, wide floating pancakes

I wish there was better variety there just in the basic gen, nevermind the weird bits. Some planets that have terrain more like sand dunes, canyons, buttes, proper continents, craters, cliffs not due to artifacting around installations. Very rarely the terrain gen will make something that looks distinctive (nothing I'd call genuinely impressive, mind) but 90% of the planets of a given type have really, really similar settings on the noise functions generating the basic landscape. Moreso than seems appropriate.

For example, as ice planets go, I can only distinctly remember 3: 1 because the plants weren't the generic alpine forest, and had blue leaves; 1 that had an especially nice view of 3 planets over a lakeside and truly hellish blizzards constantly; and every other ice planet which also had identical terrain to the first two. Now, that terrain is pretty, but it's not at all varied. No glaciers or snow drifts, it's all an endless ski resort overlooking a lake.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Okay, I continued down the main storyline a little planning on earning some money through missions in the stations along the way, and the story space anomaly has a 23-slot B-class gun in store to buy for me, while the station in system has an 18-slot C-class gun.

Since both of these are still way out of my range, I'm assuming the most reasonable thing is to aim for the C-class gun to at least be able to use some upgrades, and then save up for the 22-slot A-class gun in my starting system? The item leveling in this game seems kind of weird, since even a small upgrade of my most basic tool is constantly out of reach for me.

Also, I've been reading up on the upgrades, and it seems I hosed myself by not putting the scanner upgrade in a slot adjacent to the actual scanner? The item stats say I'm only getting a 10% bonus to range, while the description on the upgrade from the merchant said there'd be a range upgrade AND a significant increase in value to scanning...except I'm only really seeing the former.

I guess I could easily just destroy my terrain transformer, re-craft it in a different slot, and then install a new scanner upgrade, but this time adjacent to the scanner?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 7, 2018

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

After killing the walker the sentinel searching stopped counting down at zero and never went away so I got out and reloaded. I was on a mission to raid a planetary harvester which I did. Reloading deleted the mission.

The way I've found around this was to launch into nearby space, which resets the wanted level to 1 for space combat. Immediately fly back down, land, and hide for the new countdown. It should fully countdown and end properly.

I've also noticed the planetary harvester missions don't like you using your spaceship to destroy the buildings, and don't give you credit if you explode things with spaceship guns. I suspect it's an oversight and/or bug, but it makes a certain stupid sense.

"Grah! Destroy planetary harvester, interloper! Make planet run red with sentinel blood!"

"Okay" *spaceship missile missile pew pew missile*

"Grah! Wrong, you must kill sentinels in personal combat! It's the Vy'keen way, the only way!"

"Okay!" *Abandon Mission*

"Grah! Your standing with the Vy'keen has decreased!"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, I've been reading up on the upgrades, and it seems I hosed myself by not putting the scanner upgrade in a slot adjacent to the actual scanner? The item stats say I'm only getting a 10% bonus to range, while the description on the upgrade from the merchant said there'd be a range upgrade AND a significant increase in value to scanning...except I'm only really seeing the former.

I guess I could easily just destroy my terrain transformer, re-craft it in a different slot, and then install a new scanner upgrade, but this time adjacent to the scanner?

Depends on the level of the mod. C or B class might not have all the upgrades. A and S are what you want. Don't waste nanites on C or B stuff imo.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah, only buy S class stuff and put them in a contiguous block with their primary system. As far as multitools go, the essentials are:
- 3 S class scanners - first thing you should spend nanites on as a newbie. plant scans wind up being ~60k each and animals 200 - 600k ish depending on rarity
- advanced mining laser
- terrain manipulator
- plasma grenade launcher + 1 s class upgrade will take out anything short of a sentinel in 1 shot. also yourself if you misclick. even before you can make the ammo yourself (which is cheap) it's easy enough to buy in space stations

That's what, 10 slots? And that has 85% the utility of an endgame 24 slot tool.

Past that, the nice to haves:
- S class mining upgrades are nice but don't make mining substantially faster, mostly just more fuel efficient
- Shotgun is real good for basic combat.
- Boltcaster is decent too.
- Blaze lance or whatever it's called isn't that great for normal use. Slow chargeup and there's no real need to snipe things in this game. Biggest advantage is not having to carry around special ammo.

I've never found a need to use my installed multi tool shield and the zoom scope is poo poo. Haven't tried the geology grenade since I'm not sure what the point is, and I've never seen the loose deuterium you need to make the energy blaster.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 7, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Depends on the level of the mod. C or B class might not have all the upgrades. A and S are what you want. Don't waste nanites on C or B stuff imo.

Well, it was a C-class upgrade with a 10% scanning bonus, and I just tried out what I posted, except I bought a new C-class upgrade that only had a 6% scanning bonus that I missed, so welp
Also, placing it adjacently to the scanner apparently gave me a 3% bonus over the scanning value the previous upgrade module gave me, but then again, I don't really understand the mechanics of this game for poo poo, soooo

In any case, I grabbed an S-class scanning upgrade from the station I just came from, I'm assuming I should save that up for the 18-slot C-class gun rather than cramming it into my current multitool? Or is that valuable enough to save it up for the A-class gun on sale in my starting system?
This game really is confusing on item progression

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I think it's worth installing the 3x S class scanners on your 2nd tool, sure. By the time you're ready to drop 2 million on a 24 slotter (which you will get much faster with those scanners installed) you can afford to rebuy them, what with the scanning missions you should be accepting at the same time as you are scanning stuff for credits.

I personally wound up settling for an A class 23 slot gun as my 'final.' I maaaaay wind up upgrading it to an S class when I see one, but I've visited 50 or so systems and still haven't come across one yet :sigh:

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 7, 2018

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Okay, I continued down the main storyline a little planning on earning some money through missions in the stations along the way, and the story space anomaly has a 23-slot B-class gun in store to buy for me, while the station in system has an 18-slot C-class gun.

Since both of these are still way out of my range, I'm assuming the most reasonable thing is to aim for the C-class gun to at least be able to use some upgrades, and then save up for the 22-slot A-class gun in my starting system? The item leveling in this game seems kind of weird, since even a small upgrade of my most basic tool is constantly out of reach for me.

If you're looking to make money to afford these things, and since you mention you have the terrain manipulator, it's time to get into archaeology.

Grab all the navigation data you can, there's usually a few to be snagged in every space station. They can be found on planetary outposts as well, as well as rare spawn outside on planets (they will show up in your scanner with a yellow marker as "Ancient Data Structures"). Go to a hospitable planet, drop a signal booster, burn a navigation data to find an alien artifact. If you get a monolith, try again. If you get a ruin or a plaque, activate it and choose the second option (seek knowledge of the past). This puts a buried ruin on your map. Fly to that ruin, use your scanner to find three small boxes either on the ruin or buried underground. Grab three keys from the small boxes, find the large chest roughly in the centre of the ruin (again, usually buried) and open it for an item. This item has no purpose but to be sold, and will sell for a random value, as low as 100k to as high as several million units. Then drop your signal booster and find another ruin to repeat the process.

In addition to giving you loot that you can sell for cash probably faster then space station missions, you will be flying to and fro around planets, picking up resources, scanning things, finding other points of interest. Do this primarily in vy'keen systems if you can, as they have a couple unique events when talking to vy'keen NPCs which can straight up give you a multi-tool for free. It might be worse, it might be better; even if it's totally busted if it's worth more then your existing tool you can take advantage of that to cut the price of a purchasable multi-tool.

As far as scanning is concerned, while C upgrades won't be that useful I think scanner upgrades in general should be the first use of all nanites you're picking up, even if you're not jumping immediately to three S-rank scanner upgrades. Get three upgrades so you get more units from scanning flora and fauna, go explore worlds, scan everything. Upload what you scan from the Discoveries menu to make back the nanites you paid. Meanwhile enjoy the dramatically increased unit rewards for all the scanning you were probably doing anyway.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
^^^^ yes do that.

Also, it seems like the signal booster's free scan is biased towards finding the same type of landmark as the one closest to you (assuming there is another one), so if you're hunting monoliths (or crashed ships or manufacturing facilities, whatever), after you use your nav data to find your first one, go there, use it, then drop your signal booster and scan again before you leave. Good chance you'll find another one.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

metasynthetic posted:

^^^^ yes do that.

Also, it seems like the signal booster's free scan is biased towards finding the same type of landmark as the one closest to you (assuming there is another one), so if you're hunting monoliths (or crashed ships or manufacturing facilities, whatever), after you use your nav data to find your first one, go there, use it, then drop your signal booster and scan again before you leave. Good chance you'll find another one.

I'm pretty sure that the free scan just shows you what's within a certain range of the booster.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

SpazmasterX posted:

I'm pretty sure that the free scan just shows you what's within a certain range of the booster.

Maybe the terrain gen is biased to generate the same feature in clusters? Either way try it, it seems to work for the specific categories I mentioned at least.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I feel slightly better about my crappy Class C welfare freighter, because my welfare multitool is an S-class with 24 slots. I'm slowly repairing them as I feel like it, to clear space for scanner upgrades. I've only seen one S-class scanner upgrade and I put it on my original multitool about two minutes before swapping it for the better one :D

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I've been wanting to retry this since I haven't played since launch. But now when I try to start a new game(PC) it crashes right at the start when it's loading shaders. Sometimes to desktop, sometimes it crashes to a black screen and I'm forced to restart my comp.

Is there a fix for this? I've tried everything I've seen so far, delete shaders folder, delete files in settings folder, download this mod, delete all mods, delete all saved data and nothing is working.

I just wanna explore the stars and name a planet ASSTANKTOPIA

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1026791312723456001?s=19

I mean we all figured that was the case, but nice to have confirmation.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

RBA Starblade posted:

I found some dragons on a lifeless radioactive planet. Swing and a miss on that one scanner!

You were probably just imagining them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Big McHuge posted:

:rimshot:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Big McHuge posted:

Took me a moment to get the extra step in that one. Well played.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Saw that this had an update, loaded up the game and all my upgrades are obsolete and my ship was out of fuel. Then I warped one system away and fought some bandits and the ship I was defending gave itself to me. Then I just turned it off because it was too much to learn right away. The update looks nice though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ending the day mostly through Artemis missions and at the second Atlas seed. My A-class tool has 3 s-class scanner upgrades (obnoxiously laid out in a way that can't actually connect to the scanner, oh well, good enough), my A-class fighter that looks like an X-Wing with TIE Fighter panels on the side basically can't lose now, and my exosuit has a lot of room to do whatever but I had to scrap some life support upgrades for an advanced mining laser to mine stuff in a red sun system. It feels like once you can get any upgrade you can get every upgrade, it's real all or nothing. My frigates are surviving finally too! Too late to give me anything I need, but whatever.

It sort of feels like I've seen just about everything the game has to offer in 12 hours, a few quests aside.

Big McHuge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTLtFDkyryI

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
This landed in front of me as I was about to leave.

S17:6 exotic, 50 to 70% increase on shields, damage etc

I'd almost finished repairing a C34:8 that I got from a distress call and just had enough on me to cover the difference. Yeah it's a bit low on cargo slots but it moves so well and it's fast. I have a 2nd, near identical C34:8 in my freighter to repair too so I can use that one when I need a lot of slots. Plus I just hopped my freighter into a system with emeril planets - gonna fill my boots with chromatic.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm getting the Base Computer Archive bug now, except, I don't own a freighter like most of the people I have seen posting about it. It isn't pointing anywhere is the problem. Every where I go it tells me my Base is in another system, I tried making new bases like it says but it didn't care. Was I supposed to upload the bases? Do I need to warp to an entirely new system and throw a base down there? Should I get a Freighter just to see if it locks onto the Freighter and then I can do the warp fix with that? Incredible how so many baseline quests from the early game are just flat out broken.

Is the mission supposed to be labeled on the teleporter list menu? Because none of my available systems have the mission logo showing. However, there are two discovered systems in my old save that are not connected to me for some reason, that is, I cannot port to their stations. Is it possible the quest automatically defaults to your starting system? Because I can't port there, I would have to set a waypoint and try to warp there after filling up.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 7, 2018

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ratzap posted:

This landed in front of me as I was about to leave.

S17:6 exotic, 50 to 70% increase on shields, damage etc

I'd almost finished repairing a C34:8 that I got from a distress call and just had enough on me to cover the difference. Yeah it's a bit low on cargo slots but it moves so well and it's fast. I have a 2nd, near identical C34:8 in my freighter to repair too so I can use that one when I need a lot of slots. Plus I just hopped my freighter into a system with emeril planets - gonna fill my boots with chromatic.

I love this!
I've got a little S-class exotic too, but it's kind of dopey looking. Its 'wings' stand straight vertical. It looks a bit like 'lol'. But its colours coincidentally match the colours I made my uniform so it is mine now.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

DogonCrook posted:

Ive been thinking about this but if there were so many configurations it always felt unique it seems like it would be impossible to ever check it wasnt generating a bunch of edge cases that were broken. Like procgen seems like little changes can have far reaching effects so you have to be super conservative you dont break anything. Like it seems like a nightmare to generate a economy out of procgen resources especially if you want it to feel like anything is possible. I mean i dont really know about this stuff it just seems like it will take a long time to come to grips with procgen. Whats the best use of procgen so far?
This is all true. But, as long as they were edge cases, finding planets you couldn't land on or safely navigate because they were too hosed up for whatever reason would actually be cool, no? And something that was also hinted at.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
feels like they could tweak some values and make some truly insane planets spawn at like a 2% rate, but idk if the community is clamoring for it

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

So how common are things like metal fingers, floating crystals, and curious deposits? I've found 3 groups of metal fingers within 1k of my base on a verdant planet with "sporadic" resources and one of those had 2 groups of floating crystals only a couple hundred meters away.

Like I go over a hill to snag a buried technology cache and oh hey free 3000 uranium and 1500 gold. This is on top of what I had from my quick visit to the radioactive planet in this system because I found a big group of fingers near where I landed.

I can probably plow under all my cactus plants and just dupe what I have with all the pyrite I can make.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

So how common are things like metal fingers, floating crystals, and curious deposits? I've found 3 groups of metal fingers within 1k of my base on a verdant planet with "sporadic" resources and one of those had 2 groups of floating crystals only a couple hundred meters away.

Like I go over a hill to snag a buried technology cache and oh hey free 3000 uranium and 1500 gold. This is on top of what I had from my quick visit to the radioactive planet in this system because I found a big group of fingers near where I landed.

I can probably plow under all my cactus plants and just dupe what I have with all the pyrite I can make.

I found a planet that had floating crystals, alien artifacts, metal fingers and a crashed freighter, all so close together I could have easily put them in the same screenshot. I'd have built a base there if not for the constant boiling storms.

Speaking of. How do you get inside a crashed freighter? I think I'm missing something obvious, because I cannot find the way in at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's no real inside, just the beacon that marks the location. The buried crates contain all the loot.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

haveblue posted:

There's no real inside, just the beacon that marks the location. The buried crates contain all the loot.

Ah, okay. That makes a lot more sense. Thank you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You mean the broken-in-half wrecks? Cause you can’t.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKkzoGd9mfc

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My overseer just gave me something called a Whittled Flint Spade, which is a Lost Artifact worth 890k. Do I just...sell this?

I need a guide to tell me "yes this is ok to sell you'll find a shitton" or "no, you idiot, never sell this" or "this item is only for selling, go nuts" because crafting games make me paranoid.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm getting the Base Computer Archive bug now, except, I don't own a freighter like most of the people I have seen posting about it. It isn't pointing anywhere is the problem. Every where I go it tells me my Base is in another system, I tried making new bases like it says but it didn't care. Was I supposed to upload the bases? Do I need to warp to an entirely new system and throw a base down there? Should I get a Freighter just to see if it locks onto the Freighter and then I can do the warp fix with that? Incredible how so many baseline quests from the early game are just flat out broken.

Is the mission supposed to be labeled on the teleporter list menu? Because none of my available systems have the mission logo showing. However, there are two discovered systems in my old save that are not connected to me for some reason, that is, I cannot port to their stations. Is it possible the quest automatically defaults to your starting system? Because I can't port there, I would have to set a waypoint and try to warp there after filling up.

I've had my base computer missions jump around between systems where I have a base, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wants you to go back to your old base that you can't get to any more.

I'd say put down a new base computer, upload the base, then save + reload and see if the mission points you to the new base computer.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Meiteron posted:

If you're looking to make money to afford these things, and since you mention you have the terrain manipulator, it's time to get into archaeology.

Grab all the navigation data you can, there's usually a few to be snagged in every space station. They can be found on planetary outposts as well, as well as rare spawn outside on planets (they will show up in your scanner with a yellow marker as "Ancient Data Structures"). Go to a hospitable planet, drop a signal booster, burn a navigation data to find an alien artifact. If you get a monolith, try again. If you get a ruin or a plaque, activate it and choose the second option (seek knowledge of the past). This puts a buried ruin on your map. Fly to that ruin, use your scanner to find three small boxes either on the ruin or buried underground. Grab three keys from the small boxes, find the large chest roughly in the centre of the ruin (again, usually buried) and open it for an item. This item has no purpose but to be sold, and will sell for a random value, as low as 100k to as high as several million units. Then drop your signal booster and find another ruin to repeat the process.

In addition to giving you loot that you can sell for cash probably faster then space station missions, you will be flying to and fro around planets, picking up resources, scanning things, finding other points of interest. Do this primarily in vy'keen systems if you can, as they have a couple unique events when talking to vy'keen NPCs which can straight up give you a multi-tool for free. It might be worse, it might be better; even if it's totally busted if it's worth more then your existing tool you can take advantage of that to cut the price of a purchasable multi-tool.

As far as scanning is concerned, while C upgrades won't be that useful I think scanner upgrades in general should be the first use of all nanites you're picking up, even if you're not jumping immediately to three S-rank scanner upgrades. Get three upgrades so you get more units from scanning flora and fauna, go explore worlds, scan everything. Upload what you scan from the Discoveries menu to make back the nanites you paid. Meanwhile enjoy the dramatically increased unit rewards for all the scanning you were probably doing anyway.

Got it, I'll get on to it tomorrow. Cheers for the advice.

Also, are adjacency boni actually a thing, or is that outdated info from a pre-NEXT version I stumbled across while googling?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

EC posted:

My overseer just gave me something called a Whittled Flint Spade, which is a Lost Artifact worth 890k. Do I just...sell this?

I need a guide to tell me "yes this is ok to sell you'll find a shitton" or "no, you idiot, never sell this" or "this item is only for selling, go nuts" because crafting games make me paranoid.

Is the item border green? If so, it's vendor trash, sell it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

For selling stuff, the item will usually give a very specific use if it is used in anything. Like telling you what it is made of and/or what it can be combined with to make something else. If the description is vague or is just flavor text, sell it. "Highly sought after" also means sell. Also, craftable items share one of a specific set of colors. Green items usually mean trade commodity, aka, sell it. By Green, I don't mean the green that Ammonia or Sulphurite is, but rather the green that Relics are. Also Larvae I guess?

Thundarr posted:

I've had my base computer missions jump around between systems where I have a base, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wants you to go back to your old base that you can't get to any more.

I'd say put down a new base computer, upload the base, then save + reload and see if the mission points you to the new base computer.

Yeah I just realized that my OG base, even though I claimed it on a new planet, might still "exist" and be what it is pointing to. I hate that, as with everything, it can't just tell me what planet/system it wants me to go to, because then at least I would know for sure. But yeah, I am going to try to upload a base and reload. It sucks because I dropped a base in a spot I didn't really like just to get this done and it didn't work, but I didn't' upload it. But people are saying deleting bases doesn't remove them from your lists so I am going to have that thing confusing me indefinitely.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 7, 2018

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
If I'm under attack by pirates does warping in my capital ship help or is that a bad idea?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Fojar38 posted:

If I'm under attack by pirates does warping in my capital ship help or is that a bad idea?

My understanding is that your cap ship turrets don't actually do any damage, only you do damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Jaxyon posted:

My understanding is that your cap ship turrets don't actually do any damage, only you do damage.

Will they at least distract them? I'm bad at spaceship combat you see