Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Tom Guycot posted:

How do mods even work with an online only game? What are you going to mod that isn't going to break it for other people who don't have the mod?

i imagine everyone in the session would probably need to have the same mod loadout for anything more than replacers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Oh its going to be small scale individual servers type thing? This whole time I was under the impression it was more MMO.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh its going to be small scale individual servers type thing? This whole time I was under the impression it was more MMO.

Afaik yes but all servers are run by bethesta and you get assigned one at random.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Conot posted:

I'm not sure why any PR exec would even mention WGWL while trying to promote their Steam-alternative, given most gamers would recoil in horror at recalling that poo poo.

Cream of plenty'd again.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah idk if we have enough specific details yet but there is some degree of instancing going on bethesdas servers so you're randomly assigned a server but can hop to another instance your friends are on, or something

with private servers (and mods) coming after release

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
gently caress steam though

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
People falling for Cream-of-Plenty's poo poo has to be my favorite part of this thread.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

dogstile posted:

Wasn't this because they basically tried to do that and then walked it back very loving quickly when people weren't happy?

They can try and chip away at the barrier forever, but other game studios aren't doing it and have thriving modding scenes, whereas I imagine it's a little bit stale on the creation club. Hell I had a quick look through fallout 4's club and all I saw was some lovely recolours and some guns that any tosser could put together.

No. They've taken a few different swipes at getting paid mods off the ground, but they've never tried to take away or prevent free mods from being a thing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

guessing when mods are allowed the scene will probably be a little different because it will be hard to find another individual that wants to replicate your personally curated 250 .esp monstrosity

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

People falling for Cream-of-Plenty's poo poo has to be my favorite part of this thread.

In fairness it's sometimes difficult to differentiate it from normal bethesda.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Berke Negri posted:

it has vats just without the slow time effect i think, given its multiplayer

Oh sweet, had to google this because everything I've seen have been angry post from super-salty people that fallout 76 will be multiplayer. Turns out there is VATS after all!
https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-will-have-real-time-vats/

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Quick FO4 question: once I've cleaned a place out, and it tells me (CLEARED) on the map, does that mean I've gotten all the magazines, bobbleheads, etc that are there? Just trying to make sure I don't miss anything while exploring.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

that means youve killed all the baddies in there

respawn rates are different depending on whether a place is [CLEARED] or not, with it taking longer for a cleared spot to respawn

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

OK so the only way to know if I missed something is to use a guide. Trying to avoid that if I can. Oh well.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

uuuuuusually anything super important (like a magazine or bobblehead) will be in a pretty stand out spot, like at the "end" of a POI like where you find a big chest

some are a bit harder to spot than others though (the sneaking magazines sometimes just look like folders to me under certain lights)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Berke Negri posted:

some are a bit harder to spot than others though

Like when you use a mininuke to clear the forge

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Does anyone know if dogmeat can find collectibles? I just used the wiki because I don't respect 4, but he might be an option for people who don't want to do that.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Maybe if Dogmeat was a huge nerd.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Put the doggles on him and tell me he's not. :colbert:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Berke Negri posted:

uuuuuusually anything super important (like a magazine or bobblehead) will be in a pretty stand out spot, like at the "end" of a POI like where you find a big chest

some are a bit harder to spot than others though (the sneaking magazines sometimes just look like folders to me under certain lights)

Except the strength bobble head. That's in an obscure was place.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tom Guycot posted:

Nobody is really sure and what we've been told doesn't make a lot of sense (which is a running theme with Fallout 76, it seems). I believe it's individual servers that you're randomly sorted into, with Bethesda saying you won't even notice a server entry or have a browser. The map is something like 2 to 4 times larger than the Commonwealth, but with only about 25 players so nobody is really going to see each other unless they try. Private servers and offline play (with the potential for mods) will be added at an indeterminate point in the future.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
So I've been traveling around a lot lately, and was looking for something to play on my aging laptop. I ended up with Wasteland 2, which I am nowhere near completing but loving so far. I'm looking for something to continue my apocalyptic binge when playing at my desktop, and was thinking about Fallout. Problem is, I can't decide where to start.

Playing the first two games while playing Wasteland 2 at the same time seems like overkill, so I'm reading Let's Plays on those to catch up on the setting. I played Fallout 3 in highschool when it came out, but that game is almost a complete blank in my memory. I vaguely remember a gigantic robot called Liberty Prime, something about a VR Vault, blowing up a town and enjoying it a lot until I reached an ending that was so godawful I turned the game off and never came back. Apparently the DLC changes that last part.

My question is, which game would offer me the best starting point? I've been thinking about giving F3 another shot, since it seems to be the basis of Bethesda's style and would probably give me a good introduction to the various factions. Besides, it can't be as bad as I remember. On the other hand, I've never been a great fan of Bethesda's writing and love westerns and hardboiled narratives, so maybe I should jump straight into New Vegas. Or I could start with F4, since it apparently features a character that (like me) missed the narrative for a couple of hundred years and has actual good shooting. Then again, I tried getting into Skyrim last year and just got bored out of my skull. Mind you, I generally don't go for sword-and-fantasy unless it's Zelda, though.

As someone who is looking for a game that can make me love this series, what would this thread advise?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

New Vegas, hands down

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you haven't played 4 and liked 3 except for the writing then yeah new vegas is probably the best option for you by miles, it's got some really good writing in it.

4 does have much better gameplay but the writing is back to being kind of shite, so I'd say NV is the best one to start with because you might have trouble going back to it afterwards and it deserves to be played through.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
If you're enjoying what you see in 1&2, skip to New Vegas. 3&4 both occur on the east coast and have little in common (and virtually no lore/plot relation) with the west coast games aside from some superficial similarities.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

They're all fantastic games if you ignore the main quest for as long as possible to delay the ending.

FO3 has its moments and there's a lot of the wasteland to explore - of course as you know the ending is pretty meh, but the DLC has changed it to be slightly less meh. There's a lot of DLC, some good and some not as good. The gunplay is pretty bad.

FONV is usually called The Best Fallout by some purists as your decisions have an impact in how the game finishes up - your choices matter. There are an incredible amount of quests. The DLC ranges from exceptional to okay. There's less to explore than in FO3 despite the larger map - you're in the desert so don't expect packed city blocks at every turn. The gunplay is still pretty bad but has some improvements over FO3.

FO4 took the game in some new directions. You're more... on rails or guided towards the main quests/objectives. There are fewer quests than in the other games (definitely fewer than FONV, maybe on par with FO3) but the gameplay is much improved (if a little bit simplified) and the art/acting is indisputably better than the previous games. The voiced protagonist leads to less of an RPG and more of a Shooter on Rails, which some didn't enjoy - but to each their own. The workshop and settlement building is love it or hate it - it's a good way to put all that scavenged loot to use and gives dungeon crawling and loot hoarding a purpose, as the game really lends itself to exploration. The amount of mods out there so you can build your garbage-hill juuuuust right is staggering. If you enjoy Minecraft-esque timesinks, maybe you'll like settlements too.

Personally, I installed "Tale of Two Wastelands" which is a player-created mod combining FO3 into FONV's framework allowing one to jump back and forth between the two games. I made it for about 30 hours into FO3 (and not getting into the FONV worldspace at all) before the lame gunplay made me reinstall FO4, a game I had played for over 600 hours since launch. For reference, I have a few hundred hours in both FO3 and FONV as well.

TL;DR: They're not paid mods, they're mods you pay for

Otacon fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 7, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

fnv is a bit more on rails than 3 or 4 imo. not that that's bad, it's why it has a tighter narrative flow while 3 & 4 are kind of more about wandering and sticking your head into some abandoned building hoping to find glorious, glorious tv dinner trays

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Berke Negri posted:

fnv is a bit more on rails than 3 or 4 imo. not that that's bad, it's why it has a tighter narrative flow while 3 & 4 are kind of more about wandering and sticking your head into some abandoned building hoping to find glorious, glorious tv dinner trays

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm starting to think that fallout 4 doesn't have better gameplay. The melee is rear end and the gunplay basically obscures how it is just like the other games.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I'm starting to think that fallout 4 doesn't have better gameplay. The melee is rear end and the gunplay basically obscures how it is just like the other games.

Agreed. The melee feels worse than Skyrim imo. And the gunplay blows because there is little difference between weapons besides damage number. Imo NV is still better gameplay wise.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

In New Vegas, I liked how it let you craft your own motive. There's a part early on when you're following Benny's trail, and an NPC asks why you're looking for him. There's a couple of different answers you can give, I can remember one being straight up revenge, and another was getting back what he stole from me. Up until that point, I didn't really stop to think about why I was after him, besides It's The Story. Just having that question of why was a really good detail for me.

I haven't been playing FO4 for long, but I have next to no interest in chasing after a baby that I have Zero personal investment in. Hell, dip that baby in FEV, and give me a super mutant sidekick, and I might be more interested in finding him.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Searching for my baby, found my father.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Berke Negri posted:

I would agree that New Vegas is more linear than FO4 (you're more or less guided on a certain path, with optional sidequests to your left and right, though it does open up more later). On rails can mean you don't have a lot of choices, though, and that's where New Vegas excels; there's dialog options and sometimes quest branches for just about everything you can think of. In FO4 you can go wherever, but when you get there it's mostly just a matter of doing whatever whoever's there tells you needs doing.

Just different ways of looking at it, I guess.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Thanks for all the replies everyone! One of my favorite RPG's is Alpha Protocol, so ''linear landscape where your choices have massive impact'' sounds fantastic. I also really like East Coast settings, so that should probably make New Vegas my first stop. Might get A Tale of Two Wastelands after that, if I feel like giving 3 a shot afterwards.

I'll let you guys know how it works out :clint:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Zombie Guy posted:

In New Vegas, I liked how it let you craft your own motive. There's a part early on when you're following Benny's trail, and an NPC asks why you're looking for him. There's a couple of different answers you can give, I can remember one being straight up revenge, and another was getting back what he stole from me. Up until that point, I didn't really stop to think about why I was after him, besides It's The Story. Just having that question of why was a really good detail for me.

I hate the DLC for new vegas because it removes all of that and defines your entire character, backstory, and motivation for you

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
No it doesn't

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

I hate the DLC for new vegas because it removes all of that and defines your entire character, backstory, and motivation for you

It adds a single random package delivery you forgot about to your backstory.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Are the starred loot items I get from Legendary enemies randomly generated? I'm assuming yes, since they mostly seem to have adjectives for the name, instead of a unique singular name.

I looted a .45 rifle off a raider that also did radiation damage, and it's bonus ability was stacking even more radiation damage on top. I upgraded a few parts, and christened it Ghoul Maker. It does a lovely job of taking out Mirelurks.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The Zombie Guy posted:

Are the starred loot items I get from Legendary enemies randomly generated? I'm assuming yes, since they mostly seem to have adjectives for the name, instead of a unique singular name.

I looted a .45 rifle off a raider that also did radiation damage, and it's bonus ability was stacking even more radiation damage on top. I upgraded a few parts, and christened it Ghoul Maker. It does a lovely job of taking out Mirelurks.

Yup! Nice find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

Isn't the point about ulysses that his obsession with you might be entirely made up cos he's a nutter?

The Zombie Guy posted:

Wait how does it kill mirelurks, aren't most animals immune to radiation damage?