Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is that the movie where they went "This water looks too clear people with think it's CG, uh let's dump a bunch of milk and poo poo into it to cloud it up!" ?

Yes it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is that the movie where they went "This water looks too clear people with think it's CG, uh let's dump a bunch of milk and poo poo into it to cloud it up!" ?

From what I recall reading in a Cinefex mag, they just used regular rear end paint in the water to cloud it up, and everyone got horrible eye pain if they were in it for longer than an hour.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Tenzarin posted:

Alien Resurrection is a good movie.

please don't troll

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

For people who want to see more of David's crazy drawings from 'Alien Covenant', this is coming in September:

https://www.amazon.com/Alien-Covenant-Drawings-Dane-Hallett/dp/1785659243

It's a compilation of all the artwork done for David's bestiary along with another book where the artists talk about their design process. I'm really stoked for this.

As a follow-up on this, Amazon has added some new pics of some interior artwork. Some of it is existing stuff we've seen, some of it is new, but all of it looks awesome.

I also noticed that Amazon has some sort of $3.07 coupon that wasn't available when I placed my preorder, so I canceled my preorder and re-preordered it with the coupon. I don't know if it made a difference, but it couldn't hurt.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Davros1 posted:

Don't follow this thread much so don't know if this was posted:

https://twitter.com/thecreativepenn/status/1023408782632775681

Is this script where Ripley finds herself on a floating temple made of wood in space and it's inhabited by Monks or whatever?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is this script where Ripley finds herself on a floating temple made of wood in space and it's inhabited by Monks or whatever?

This was the one where they're on like a Soviet space station has lots of Hicks in action hero mode and the aliens like explode fully grown out of people. IIRC Ripley is missing/abducted/something for a lot of it and it's mostly about Hicks.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

s.i.r.e. posted:

That’s Vincent Ward’s script. He has a graphic novel of sorts of it on his (amazingly slow) website.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

s.i.r.e. posted:

No, that's alien 3.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That script would actually more enjoyable then Alien 3, so no.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

s.i.r.e. posted:

That script would actually more enjoyable then Alien 3, so no.

Alien 3 assembly cut is better than Aliens, hth

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I’m not sure that I’d go that far, but the Assembly Cut *is* loving awesome.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

William Gibson’s script was terrible.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

William Gibson’s script was terrible.

We ended up with aliens birthed from ox and dogs. Is that really any different? He thought of airborne aliens first.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I didn't like Gibson's script for various reasons even though it kept Hicks and Newt alive. I liked the wooden planet though I feel like it's thematically connected to the version we got.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If I recall every last one of the unused Alien 3 scripts gave the creature some inexplicable new ability or characteristic that they'd apparently always had and just never bothered to show us before. I believe the Gibson script has them reproduce through spores.

Also, despite the "on Earth everyone can hear you scream" none of the scripts take place on Earth.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

lizardman posted:

If I recall every last one of the unused Alien 3 scripts gave the creature some inexplicable new ability or characteristic that they'd apparently always had and just never bothered to show us before.

Yeah, but basically every film did the same. First there's the Alien, then apparently that was a drone, and now there are warriors and queens. And then the thing can be born basically fully formed and skip the chestburster wormsnake phase. And then they can spit acid and their legs are bent backwards and the chestbursters pop out shortly after being implanted. And and and and....

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Assembly Cut makes the film decent, but it's still terrible.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, the Hicks and Newt thing is really interesting to me because it kind of shines a light on there being two different "sides" of the Alien fandom, with two very different conceptions of what the series should be to them.

Like, there's one group that's pretty much fine with every Alien movie being wildly different from the last, and there's one group that pretty much wants Aliens But More. It's sort of funny to me that the franchise basically split in two after Aliens, with the movies largely catering to the former crowd and the "expanded universe" (games, comics, books) catering to the latter.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Wilks and Billie FTW

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

s.i.r.e. posted:

Assembly Cut makes the film decent, but it's still terrible.

Alien 3 Assembly Cut was loving awesome

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
At least Alien 3 is scary no matter what cut you watch. The assembly cut adds in some good character development and focuses the film more on the prisoners. The ending with the tunnels freaked me the gently caress out when I saw it the first time

Aliens is just schlock and always has been. Everyone just overlooks it because of "badass space marines" or whatever. It's better than Resurrection but that's not saying much.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What happened to make you unable to feel joy? Did Aliens kill your dog?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

At least Alien 3 is scary no matter what cut you watch. The assembly cut adds in some good character development and focuses the film more on the prisoners. The ending with the tunnels freaked me the gently caress out when I saw it the first time

Aliens is just schlock and always has been. Everyone just overlooks it because of "badass space marines" or whatever. It's better than Resurrection but that's not saying much.

It's better than the theatrical version but still has the same problem that once the first act is done, and they've established the setting and characters, they clearly have no idea what sort of film they want to make, and the story runs out of steam pretty quickly.

When I re-watched it last year (because of this thread), it struck me how little Ripley has to do until Brian Glover gets eaten.

EDIT: Gibsons script loving owns btw. It's glorious trash.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

this post reserved for WY propaganda.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, the Hicks and Newt thing is really interesting to me because it kind of shines a light on there being two different "sides" of the Alien fandom, with two very different conceptions of what the series should be to them.

Like, there's one group that's pretty much fine with every Alien movie being wildly different from the last, and there's one group that pretty much wants Aliens But More. It's sort of funny to me that the franchise basically split in two after Aliens, with the movies largely catering to the former crowd and the "expanded universe" (games, comics, books) catering to the latter.
It’s worth pointing out that while you’re not entirely wrong in that there’s a big subset of the fandom that wants/wanted Aliens 2: More Aliens and Marines, it’s not nearly as pervasive as you’d think, and that subset of the fandom has tapered off quite a bit as time has gone by.

The EU, on the whole, is about as diverse as the movies are (if not more so). Colonial Marines blasting Aliens happens from time to time in the comics and novels, but it’s very far from a majority. It happens more often in the video games, but that’s sort of a byproduct of the medium. It lends itself really well to being a Marine and shooting Aliens, but thankfully the FPS games tend to understand the movie’s message that just because you’ve got an arsenal of weapons doesn’t mean shooting Aliens is an escapist power fantasy like in other FPS games.
In hindsight, Alien Isolation seems like such an incredibly obvious direction to take an Alien videogame, but I think it took games like Amnesia/Slender/Outlast to sort of “prime the pump” before devs woke up and realized the potential in an Alien game.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think people, when thinking about Aliens, remember the bravado and badass attitude of the Marines more than anything else. They forget how the Marines get their asses kicked, how they're just a hair away from death at any point, and that they know it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Leavemywife posted:

What happened to make you unable to feel joy? Did Aliens kill your dog?

No, Alien 3 killed the dog.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

At least Alien 3 is scary no matter what cut you watch.

What... ?

I mean, liking the film or not aside, I've never heard anyone call Alien 3 scary.

Open Marriage Night posted:

No, Alien 3 killed the dog.

You're watching the wrong version.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The fanbase is definitely split between the horror and existentialism of the original, and the action, explosions, and firepower of Aliens. I prefer the former because action movies and blockbusters in that genre seem so ubiquitous these days. I don't think the fanbase is nearly as divided as the Star Wars fanbase, though.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

s.i.r.e. posted:

What... ?

I mean, liking the film or not aside, I've never heard anyone call Alien 3 scary.

You're watching the wrong version.

The part in the tunnels at the end where they have no idea where it's at... just as "scary" as the first film. I mean I'm not scared at all by any of them anymore but I sure as heck was as a teenager.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Slutitution posted:

The fanbase is definitely split between the horror and existentialism of the original, and the action, explosions, and firepower of Aliens. I prefer the former because action movies and blockbusters in that genre seem so ubiquitous these days. I don't think the fanbase is nearly as divided as the Star Wars fanbase, though.

well, i wouldn't really call it a division because both of the ends of the fanbase tend to basically be okay with each other aside from griping that stuff pandering to the other side gets made.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

well, i wouldn't really call it a division because both of the ends of the fanbase tend to basically be okay with each other aside from griping that stuff pandering to the other side gets made.

Even that barely happens because there tends to be enough new material to satisfy both ends of the fan base. Yeah the ‘Aliens’ fans were unhappy when Blomkamp’s movie imploded, but they didn’t really hate Covenant (aside from the rumors that Ridley personally terminated Blomkamp’s project). It wasn’t Covenant’s mere existence that was the problem, it’s the possibility that its existence derailed another project.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Went searching for games in development and was sad to learn no plans for Alien Isolation 2 but apparently a shooter is in the works so I'm psyched. Always thought the source material lined up perfectly with video games and offered so many ways to go about it. I'd like to see an Alien game somewhere in between that''s mostly survival horror but lets you fight a bit more than A:I, if not as much as, say, Alien: Trilogy.

I remember being put off Alien Resurrection on PS1 back in the day because back then the dual stick console controls were too much to grasp and master, but watching some Let's Plays of it, it looks ok.

An Alien game that lets you fight but still makes resources scarce and makes you run away a lot seems like a good, balanced approach.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

BiggerBoat posted:

Went searching for games in development and was sad to learn no plans for Alien Isolation 2 but apparently a shooter is in the works so I'm psyched. Always thought the source material lined up perfectly with video games and offered so many ways to go about it. I'd like to see an Alien game somewhere in between that''s mostly survival horror but lets you fight a bit more than A:I, if not as much as, say, Alien: Trilogy.

I remember being put off Alien Resurrection on PS1 back in the day because back then the dual stick console controls were too much to grasp and master, but watching some Let's Plays of it, it looks ok.

An Alien game that lets you fight but still makes resources scarce and makes you run away a lot seems like a good, balanced approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdVedBa0-mk

Obsidian was working on pretty much this, a squad-based survival horror thing, but the game was cancelled in favor of Colonial Marines. So that was certainly a decision someone made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Even that barely happens because there tends to be enough new material to satisfy both ends of the fan base. Yeah the ‘Aliens’ fans were unhappy when Blomkamp’s movie imploded, but they didn’t really hate Covenant (aside from the rumors that Ridley personally terminated Blomkamp’s project). It wasn’t Covenant’s mere existence that was the problem, it’s the possibility that its existence derailed another project.

I have to admit that watching Blomkamp's Aliens 2 get thrown in the trash heap as Ridley put out a Hammer Frankenstein starring David as Dr. Stein was extremely satisfying.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Crappy Jack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdVedBa0-mk

Obsidian was working on pretty much this, a squad-based survival horror thing, but the game was cancelled in favor of Colonial Marines. So that was certainly a decision someone made.

Seems to me they could pace it like Wolfenstein does; having some freak out firefights and poo poo along with some sneaky stuff. I enjoy both approaches so that works for me. Maybe make it a 2 part game with part 1 being scavenging and survival and the second chapter being more balls out machine and pulse gun stuff?

Could even tie them together where things you did in part 1 effect how part 2 goes (stuff you leave behind, doors you don't seal, nests you don't torch, secrets you don't find) and then maybe reverse that dynamic for New Game+ or let you decide which order to play them and still have them intertwined.

Just spitballing here

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I understand it's mostly a shorthand for certain aesthetic differences but I've always hated the idea of this big dichotomy between Alien 'horror' and Aliens 'action' (especially since to me Aliens is easily the scariest installment of the series). When you get right down to it, the only real difference between them is the number and size of the aliens and weapons.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

lizardman posted:

I understand it's mostly a shorthand for certain aesthetic differences but I've always hated the idea of this big dichotomy between Alien 'horror' and Aliens 'action' (especially since to me Aliens is easily the scariest installment of the series). When you get right down to it, the only real difference between them is the number and size of the aliens and weapons.

There's a lot that goes into just changing the number though. The xeno is scary in Alien because the situation itself is scary. They picked this thing up on an unknown planet, they're trapped with it on a ship in the middle of space, etc. etc.

Aliens is about running from and trying to survive a horde of monsters. That's a different kind of horror and it leads to completely different situations than the type of things that are scary in Alien. And that's a big part of what makes it good, Cameron didn't try to just make Alien again.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was also made back in the day when horror could actually scare people. Everyone is so desensitized to that now you almost have to go towards action if you want it to be successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Basebf555 posted:

There's a lot that goes into just changing the number though. The xeno is scary in Alien because the situation itself is scary. They picked this thing up on an unknown planet, they're trapped with it on a ship in the middle of space, etc. etc.

Aliens is about running from and trying to survive a horde of monsters. That's a different kind of horror and it leads to completely different situations than the type of things that are scary in Alien. And that's a big part of what makes it good, Cameron didn't try to just make Alien again.

Yeah, I have always loved Aliens for taking the logical response to “monster ate people and is now back” by sending a team of trained soldiers in this time... and they STILL wind up in a horror situation despite their best efforts. Really sells your monster if even lacking ignorance and being geared up/prepared for it is not enough to save you.