Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Douk Douk posted:

This season is going to get loving ugly. It tore me apart to see Howard look so broken and defeated.

gently caress. now that I think about it, there's no way that Jimmy will leave Hamlin alone because he's a constant reminder that Chuck killed himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
What was everyone's take on the way they shot the phone conversation between Hamlin & Jimmy? There were a lot of sudden cuts mid-sentence, and at one point it was like Howard was doing a mock-recitation of the eulogy rather than reading an obituary. Howard in his suit, standing behind his desk in this massive towering apartment (office?), and Jimmy hunched over his kitchen counter in a t-shirt. What do you think they were going for with all that?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

timp posted:

What was everyone's take on the way they shot the phone conversation between Hamlin & Jimmy? There were a lot of sudden cuts mid-sentence, and at one point it was like Howard was doing a mock-recitation of the eulogy rather than reading an obituary. Howard in his suit, standing behind his desk in this massive towering apartment (office?), and Jimmy hunched over his kitchen counter in a t-shirt. What do you think they were going for with all that?

It was a time filler piece. They spent like 2 minutes on something that could have been done in 15 seconds. They cut it to fill the space they needed filled.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

InfiniteZero posted:

Mike was given a fake job so he could launder money but was bored so he decided to actually do that fake job instead. The whole scene was confusing but had a great payoff when it was revealed what he was doing. I love that so many of Mike's scenes like this are silent. They're little vignettes of pure cinema on television. Without these scenes, the show turns slightly more into regular level television and we don't need another loving Walking Dead that's all soap opera exposition.

I mean if you think TV in it's purest form a man looking at things, then yeah, Better Call Saul has a lot of pure television in it.

This episode that stuff was not so bad, but the three elements of the show feel so disparate (Mike, Nacho and Jimmy) and make so little sense together in a single episode that for me it just doesn't work. Mike at least has his fun moments now and then, but this entire episode during the Gus/Nacho stuff I had no idea why I was meant to care at all. It feels like Gilligan and co got Gus back because they love the actor and character, but he just has nothing interesting to say or do and his whole drug empire story is being forced into a show that is, at it's heart, about a skeezy lawyer's personal trouble.

Chris James 2 posted:

#ChuckWasRight

This scene always felt a little weird to me, because it seems like we're meant to be thinking "Chuck's bang on here" when the entire point of the first season - in fact if the show got cancelled the entire point of the series - would have been that Chuck didn't allow Jimmy to change and forced him to become the person he became. The ending of the first season is great because it kind of perfectly explained Jimmy's character - a scummy dude who tried to put himself on the path to betterment, but was denied it by someone who he trusted most, thus making him jaded and question his re-alignment in the first place. Chuck was being a huge hypocrite, but it felt like the show forgot (maybe I just misread it though and to other people that was the point of the moment).

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 7, 2018

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

timp posted:

I just took it as Jimmy not being actually interested in Chuck and that he was finished with his duty to Chuck and Chuck's world. That's why he just walked away mid-recitation too. Hamlin still lived in Chuck's world, Jimmy didn't. Jimmy didn't get what he was actually looking for (a way out of his guilt) until Hamlin's confession. I think he's completely done with that side of being a lawyer past this point, but I guess we have a whole season to find out for sure.

Calico Heart posted:

I mean if you think TV in it's purest form a man looking at things, then yeah, Better Call Saul has a lot of pure television in it..

It's certainly not the purest form of looking at things, but it is a visual medium so I appreciate it when people working in the medium worry most about the visuals is all. Or at least when people who are actually good at it do so I guess.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 7, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well I mean it served a really important narrative purpose, didn't it? It went on and on, hammering on Jimmy with how awesome Chuck was, to the point where Jimmy couldn't take it anymore and checked out.

I think that is a major contributing factor in how he reacted later upon finding out that it was suicide and that he himself was responsible.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC Jimmy isn't even mentioned once in the whole thing that Howard recites either.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Raxivace posted:

IIRC Jimmy isn't even mentioned once in the whole thing that Howard recites either.

He actually is mentioned toward the end. Jimmy doesn't give a gently caress because he's done with that world.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Data Graham posted:

Well I mean it served a really important narrative purpose, didn't it? It went on and on, hammering on Jimmy with how awesome Chuck was, to the point where Jimmy couldn't take it anymore and checked out.

I think that is a major contributing factor in how he reacted later upon finding out that it was suicide and that he himself was responsible.

To me it felt like a book report. Like, his entire thing reads like a wikipedia article about his achievements rather than speaking to the kind of personality he had, or human being he was - which I think Jimmy felt was more important.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Laterite posted:

The three greatest words in the English language: Lydia Rodarte-Quayle

hi, Todd

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Countdown to seeing that fish die.

That ending scene was brilliant. Mike continues to be the best part of the show though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Calico Heart posted:

This scene always felt a little weird to me, because it seems like we're meant to be thinking "Chuck's bang on here" when the entire point of the first season - in fact if the show got cancelled the entire point of the series - would have been that Chuck didn't allow Jimmy to change and forced him to become the person he became. The ending of the first season is great because it kind of perfectly explained Jimmy's character - a scummy dude who tried to put himself on the path to betterment, but was denied it by someone who he trusted most, thus making him jaded and question his re-alignment in the first place. Chuck was being a huge hypocrite, but it felt like the show forgot (maybe I just misread it though and to other people that was the point of the moment).

He didn't, though. Season 1 ends with Jimmy getting an offer for the Davis & Main job which he first rejects because he knows it's not what he wants, and then tries to make work because he wants Kim to be a real part of his life, and then throws away because he's able to make Kim understand why it just isn't him. Ultimately, the happiest time of Jimmy's life is when he's gone Full Saul. That perfect mixture of con-man and lawyer is what fulfills him, and with Chuck gone the biggest question for Jimmy McGill is if he'll be able to get to that stage of his life with Kim gone. From the last scene of the episode that isn't looking too good, unless he decides to let Kim and only Kim into the Jimmy side of things and she's okay with that, which she honestly might be because her moral compass is not at all as straight as, say, Marie's.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

He finds out that Chuck, who he trusted most and idolised as an honest true-blue lawyer, has been the one holding him back and preventing his advancement. It leads him to wonder that if THAT guy can betray him and that idea of the honest hard-worker, why the hell shouldn’t he take the money next time?

To me that’s a pretty great way to end a show leaving the rest of the “how he became Saul” to the imagination

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

PaybackJack posted:

Mike continues to be the best part of the show though.

I want another spin-off called "POLICY VIOLATION" that's just Mike driving around warehouses in a golf cart calling out policy violations.

Ep.1 - Lifting Gloves
Ep.2 - Ladder Certification
Ep.3 - Stack Exceeds 6
Ep.4 - Break Time
Ep.5 - Desk Posture
Ep.6 - Fire Drill (stunning climax)

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 7, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you think Howard will feel bad about causing Chuck's death that he will try to offer Jimmy a job when he can practice law again?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

Do you think Howard will feel bad about causing Chuck's death that he will try to offer Jimmy a job when he can practice law again?

If he does, I strongly believe Jimmy will tell him to get hosed.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I think the more pertinent question is what happens to the money that Howard was going to give Chuck? The whole "I gave him 3 million dollars with the promise of 6 million more on the way" wasn't brought up in Howard's confession of "I forced him out." As much as I love Mike Time I would have liked for the matter of Chuck's will to have been addressed in the season premiere.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Good point. He’s totally gonna give it all to charity and leave jimmy unmentioned, isn’t he.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Data Graham posted:

Good point. He’s totally gonna give it all to charity and leave jimmy unmentioned, isn’t he.

Charity, that's a good one. Someone with the attitude of "people don't change" probably actively hates poors.

He'll leave the money to his Alma mater and maybe an orchestra or something.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Charity, that's a good one. Someone with the attitude of "people don't change" probably actively hates poors.

From the dialogue I posted of his last exchange with Jimmy, I didn't get the sense he genuinely believed "people don't change" so much as I got the sense he genuinely believed Jimmy is incapable of it, at least positive change

Can't say there's been much evidence to the contrary in that regard so far

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

Nail Rat posted:

Agreed. Thats seams like something Chuck would do. I doesnt make sense for Jimmy to get anything. What is his motivation to get in bed with Gus then?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Chris James 2 posted:

From the dialogue I posted of his last exchange with Jimmy, I didn't get the sense he genuinely believed "people don't change" so much as I got the sense he genuinely believed Jimmy is incapable of it, at least positive change

Can't say there's been much evidence to the contrary in that regard so far

At the end of the first season he specifically said "People don't change!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dug the episode but it's a great example for why they need to drop a whole season at once.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope they’re writing season 5 as the last since I don’t think the show will get renewed beyond that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It would be pretty crazy for BCS to outlast BB anyway.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Selachian posted:

My impression was that the Madrigal thing was intended to be a bullshit no-show job, except Mike's temperament doesn't allow him to just sit at home and collect paychecks; if they call him a security consultant, he's drat well going to consult on security.

That's very much my take on it, I'd be shocked if Lydia knew he was doing that ahead of time and I'd expect her to be quite irritated by it.

A fun premiere, and there's some stuff I know is coming up in the next few episodes (because I read a season preview kind of article by a critic who was sent a few episodes in advance) that I'm really looking forward to.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
So that social security number prefix was actually Florida and that nurse definitely knew it was a fake. When you work a job like that, you start to remember where things like zip codes and phone numbers are from.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's from Washington. 531-539 is Washington.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Nail Rat posted:

I will say this, and it's something I never thought I'd say in the first season: Howard may be the most decent person in this show aside from Kim. I feel pretty bad for him.

Seriously. The ONLY time Howard was less than straight up honest with Jimmy was when he was playing the role of the bad guy that didn't want Jimmy to be an attorney, with the only real goal of protecting the brothers' relationship even though Chuck was being a dick. Howard can play hardball at times, but that's to be expected given his line of work.

One of my most vivid memories of the series was when that charade was finally revealed. Howard's "You were my Charlie Hustle" line was delivered with heartbreaking earnestness.

I could see Howard and Kim ending up together.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope they’re writing season 5 as the last since I don’t think the show will get renewed beyond that.
Netflix will pick up BCS in a second if Vince and co. want to do more and AMC tells them they're done.
Also if BCS is six seasons of ten episodes it's still 2 episodes behind Breaking Bad in length.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I could see Howard and Kim ending up together.

I will accept this only if through comical contrivance Howard becomes Jimmy's stepdad.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 8, 2018

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Cojawfee posted:

It's from Washington. 531-539 is Washington.

It used to be, at least, until they started randomization.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know why people say "Netflix will pick this up in a second" about tv shows they like. Netflix passed on the best science fiction tv show in years. There's no guarantee they would want better call Saul when it doesn't have amazing ratings. That's if AMC would even let it go.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

kefkafloyd posted:

It used to be, at least, until they started randomization.

That was in 2011, so the lady would have every reason to think he got his number before then.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Netflix will pick up BCS in a second if Vince and co. want to do more and AMC tells them they're done.

AMC renewed for season 5 before an episode of season 4 even aired. If the show doesn't get renewed, it's because Vince and co. don't want to do more, and I can't imagine that being a question anymore. They had a full story they wanted to tell with BB, and they told it without dragging it on. They seem to want to do the same here, and they've said before there's an endgame in sight. This won't be a Walking Dead situation where it drags forever to the point the main cast abandon ship so they can actually be associated with anything else while they still have time for a career

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know why people say "Netflix will pick this up in a second" about tv shows they like. Netflix passed on the best science fiction tv show in years. There's no guarantee they would want better call Saul when it doesn't have amazing ratings. That's if AMC would even let it go.

It's Prestige Drama and the Netflix and Breaking Bad brands are attached to the point where Vince GIlligan thanked them in 2013 for keeping Breaking Bad on the air.

Chris James 2 posted:

AMC renewed for season 5 before an episode of season 4 even aired. If the show doesn't get renewed, it's because Vince and co. don't want to do more, and I can't imagine that being a question anymore. They had a full story they wanted to tell with BB, and they told it without dragging it on. They seem to want to do the same here, and they've said before there's an endgame in sight. This won't be a Walking Dead situation where it drags forever to the point the main cast abandon ship so they can actually be associated with anything else while they still have time for a career

I agree, I'm just addressing the hypothetical.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

better call saul is the best show on tv. comparing it to the expanse lol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

better call saul is the best show on tv. comparing it to the expanse lol.

They are both very good, I don't know what you're getting at.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I just watched Pimento (S1E9) again to see again where Howard starts to drop the facade. Holy poo poo, what a glorious episode of TV that is. Also, back then I didn't know who Stephen Ogg was (I know him from Westworld and Walking Dead). I didn't realize he was the tactical douchebag from the parking garage.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I just watched Pimento (S1E9) again to see again where Howard starts to drop the facade. Holy poo poo, what a glorious episode of TV that is. Also, back then I didn't know who Stephen Ogg was (I know him from Westworld and Walking Dead). I didn't realize he was the tactical douchebag from the parking garage.

He is also voices Trevor in Grand Theft Auto 5 :eng101:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was some smooooooth television. Do you think Gus will thank Nacho, or make him some sort of scapegoat?