Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

No, that's because they filmed the scene with nudity originally, and then Beckinsale went back on being willing to do nudity so they had to cut around the titty like a TV edit.

Shoulda gone the route of the tv edit of From Dusk Till Dawn. Free cartoon bikinis for everyone down at the Kitty Twister!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

That last Resident Evil movie left one of its stunt performers really horribly injured in an accident - what the BBC always describes as "life-changing injuries" which seems like understating things to me - and I remember reading about it thinking no movie is worth that happening to a person, but it probably goes double for a Resident Evil movie.

Milla's motorbike double actually died in an accident while filming it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

Is that in addition to the one I mentioned or was that the same person?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Wandle Cax posted:

Nah she survived, but she lost an arm and has some other horrific injuries: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4130008/Resident-Evil-stunt-woman-reveals-twisted-crash.html

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
My mistake, I mixed it up with another incident on that movie where a crew member died in a non stunt related on set accident, a Hummer fell on top of him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/stuntman-dies-accident-resident-evil-set-article-1.2476913

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you've liked the McQuarrie-directed Mission: Impossible movies well TOO BAD it's going to take a lot *cough*ofmoney*cough* to get him back to do the next one.

“Eddie Hamilton [Editor on Fallout], every day in the editing room was like, ‘Come on, man, it’s obviously a trilogy you’re coming back, you have to finish it, you didn’t kill Lane,’ and I was like, ‘It’s somebody else’s problem.’ Tom [Cruise] has asked, the studio has asked, and I was like, ‘You know maybe I’ve got an idea for…’ and then the reviews came out and I was like, ‘Get outta here. Just stop.’ I felt so bad for the director of Mission 6 and I feel even worse of the director of 7. I’d rather have leprosy than be in the position of the person having to confront the pressure of the hyperbole of this movie on their first day of shooting the film. It’s too much to confront. I’d need a long nap before I could contemplate it.”

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I get that but all it's going to take is Tom to say "You're doing it. See you tomorrow on location." and he'll do it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

What hyperbole, exactly? And haven't reviews been extremely positive?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The hyperbole he's referring to IS the extremely positive reception

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea he's saying that he thought making a follow-up to Rogue Nation was doomed to fail, so now that he actually pulled it off he's not exactly anxious to try to somehow do it a third time.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
But this is exactly why he should do it. Him and Tom. It's their mission, they should choose to accept it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This series is better for having different tales on the franchise. So get someone new.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah I'd be down for someone new. After seeing Upgrade I'd love to see Leigh Whannell take a crack at it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You all convinced me to give me Mission Impossible series a chance, which I had avoided due to my general distaste for Tom Cruise. I saw 1 in the theater way back when it came out in 1996, loved the TV show-style opening sequence and the audacity of killing off most of the team in the beginning, but never felt any urge to revisit it. My best friend swears I saw 2 with him in the theater when it came out, but I remember nothing except Tom Cruise climbing a mountain and some kind of motorcycle fight, which could have been from the trailer. If he hadn't said anything, I would still consider it a movie I've never seen -- my memories are that minimal.

With all the hype around Fallout, I found FX On Demand has Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation, so I started watching Ghost Protocol and REALLY liked it. Then tonight, I found 3 on TNT On Demand so I watched that with my wife, then finished 4 after she went to bed. I was glad I finished it tonight, for the double reveals of Ving Rhames and Ethan's wife, alive and well. I also marked out to see Keri Russell and Maggie Q in 3 -- it almost felt like an audition for their shows where they played rear end-kicking spies later on. I wish they had both had bigger parts, though.

drat, I really enjoyed 3 and 4, so I'm a convert. I'm always disappointed by Bond movies, but the Mission Impossibles have the tone and style that I always WISH Bond movies had. And yes, Tom Cruise's earnestness has won me over. I might even try to see Fallout in the theater while I can, but after I watch Rogue Nation.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 8, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm of two minds about it, it's very Old Hollywood to have a weird fixation on a 'muse' that you are lovingly filming every inch of ala Hitchcock but at the same time it's cute that it's a vanity project about telling everyone how hot his wife is.

Sometimes we get the Resident Evil movies, sometimes we get Judd Apatow's career. It's a mixed bag.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I almost never see movies multiple times, but after seeing MI: Fallout Sunday night at a Landmark theater that was nice and intimate but fairly small, should I give it another shot on IMAX? Living in DC metro, it seems like my best bet is Udvar-Hazy which is part of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum and has an 86' x 63' screen with laser projection, which I believe is also the largest screen in the mid-Atlantic. There's also a couple Dolby Cinema screens in the area but I assume you don't get the IMAX aspect ratio.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I just got back from MI: Fallout. I uhhh probably have nothing to say that hasn't already been said but I thought it was excellent. I was shocked to realize how long it was, didn't feel the runtime at all. They're very clever with how they create tension now since they know you know they know these movies essentially have a Status Quo now they're not gonna break from. Without going into spoilers they found some creative ways to make you go "woah-h wait they really did that?" for a hot second. Now if they can just get Renner back for the next one.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
As much as I liked the fact that they did a direct sequel, I agree that they should go back to switching it up. Do a Rescue Dawn with Cruise and Renner.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

As much as I liked the fact that they did a direct sequel, I agree that they should go back to switching it up. Do a Rescue Dawn with Cruise and Renner.

I like that a woman on the team came back for more than one movie. That hasn't happened before.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snowman_McK posted:

I like that a woman on the team came back for more than one movie. That hasn't happened before.

Yeah, and their female cast has been stacked. A movie about Thandie Newton, Maggie Q, Paula Patton, Michelle Monaghan and Rebecca Ferguson would have been cool as hell.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Josh Lyman posted:

I almost never see movies multiple times, but after seeing MI: Fallout Sunday night at a Landmark theater that was nice and intimate but fairly small, should I give it another shot on IMAX? Living in DC metro, it seems like my best bet is Udvar-Hazy which is part of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum and has an 86' x 63' screen with laser projection, which I believe is also the largest screen in the mid-Atlantic. There's also a couple Dolby Cinema screens in the area but I assume you don't get the IMAX aspect ratio.

I saw it second time on some 92' x something non-IMAX screen last weekend and it didn't really add much to the viewing experience, much to my disappointment. No real IMAX screens near me, otherwise I'd probably go see it a 3rd time.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Oh hey, Upgrade is out on bluray/digital on August 28th which is great because the loving thing never got a theatrical release here and I really want to watch it.

Also, does anyone know why Triple Threat has been in post-production for the better part of a year? It needs to be released already.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Haha, the message at the end of Wolf Warrior 2 with the flag isn't subtle, is it? "China's coming, gently caress with us and you'll regret it." The tank sequence was good fun (if surprisingly goofy at times), though considering how China has memory-holed Tiannenman Square, I wonder how many of its home audience would even realise the irony of a lone man staring down a bunch of armoured vehicles.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I’d like to watch some sort of action movie, but it’s based around the idea that when you jack off (basically a prostate cancer firewall) there’s a huge battle happening. It’d be analogous to Ready Player One, which also did many action bits great, especially the car race, and without any bgm.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Until recently, I'd only seen the first Mission Impossible and Ghost Protocol, so last week I bought the Blu-ray box set, watched them all, then went to see Fallout today.

1 is still great, much more of a thriller/heist movie than the others, but you can see where a lot of the later films' DNA comes from. The most shocking thing was how young everyone looked in it (then realizing that it came out 22 years ago :corsair:)

2 is...something else. I had some idea of what I was getting into when the first ten minutes had Tom Cruise free-climbing a rock wall to have a missile shot at him containing sunglasses that exploded into the opening titles. It's an utterly ridiculous movie, but also kind of awesome? The least of the Missions Impossible, but it's a movie that knows exactly what it wants to be and, for better or worse, is gung ho about being that movie.

3 I liked quite a bit, but it's pretty much JJ Abrams in a nutshell: competently made, going for a very "back to basics" attitude, and not quite taking anything far enough to be daring or new. Tom Cruise does fun Tom Cruise things for two hours while Hoffman steals the show whenever he's onscreen. The Vatican sequence is great though.

GP is easily my favorite of the first five. Its villain is lacking, but it makes up for that with sheer energy, escalating tension, and some of the best setpieces in the whole series. MI is best when it's clever, when it makes you feel like you're watching smart people pulling off complicated poo poo with daring and wits (and a bit of fancy tech), and this movie has that in spades. Every mission has technology go wrong, putting the team in situations where they need to improvise, and it just makes everything so much more tense and entertaining to watch. The Dubai sequence is the peak of this, starting with the insane physical challenge of climbing the Burj Khalifa, leading into the cool as hell double meeting, and having everything go wrong resulting in a solid car chase in a sandstorm.

RN I enjoyed a lot, but - and maybe it was because I watched it late at night - it didn't really hit me as hard as GP. On an action sequence to sequence basis it wasn't lacking (although I thought the final foot chase was surprisingly weak and confusingly edited): the opera house was spectacular, the underwater heist was tense, and the Morocco car chase was a lot of fun. The plot was one of the more involved in the series, Ilsa's character was interesting with her ambiguous loyalties, and the villain was great, but...I dunno. At the moment I like it better as a series of cool scenes than a whole. I need to watch this again sometime when I'm less tired.

Which led me to finishing my MI marathon today with Fallout. This might be my new favorite of the series, though some of that may be the just-watched movie buzz. Henry Cavill needs to play villains more often - he's physically intimidating in a way that few MI villains are, and comes across as extremely dangerous even standing around, but his character is also clearly intelligent and can oppose the team on that level too. The MacGuffin is the best in the series at adding stakes to the plot, and the addition of the personal element in the final fight as well as the great editing during the countdown made it ridiculously tense, to the point where even knowing they'll stop the bomb at the last second I'm pretty sure I said "oh my god" out loud when I thought it had gone off. The setpieces were all on point; the bathroom fight in particular was one I was looking forward, and it did not disappoint. I liked the use of returning characters, and it was nice to see Julia have more to do this time around than be the damsel in distress. Overall, enjoyed it a lot, and this is a drat good action franchise. Looking forward to Tom Cruise running, climbing things, and trying to kill himself next time around.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody heard anything one way or another about Mile 22? I have the AMC A List thing so I figured I'd go see it even if I hate Peter Berg and his dumb MAGA films.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Tim Whatley posted:

Anybody heard anything one way or another about Mile 22? I have the AMC A List thing so I figured I'd go see it even if I hate Peter Berg and his dumb MAGA films.

It’s an alright flick but the action is disappointingly shot. I’ve always thought Berg was one of the directors who was able to do the shakey-cam thing really effectively, but this one is downright incoherent at times. It’s not bad in the first couple sequences but as the movie goes on it gets more chaotic. It’s a shame because the choreography is clearly awesome but you can’t even see it most of the time.

Kudos to the flick for being a hard R. It has an edge and some real stakes that are lacking from most action movies these days. I really, really want Berg to separate from Mark Wahlberg, though. I’d so much rather watch this exact same movie starring like, John Cena or somebody.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Welp, Castellari's New Barbarians is the only action movie I've ever seen where the hero gets defeated and raped halfway through the movie.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Jamie Lee Curtis had a cop movie where that happens but it wasn't very action-y

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

Welp, Castellari's New Barbarians is the only action movie I've ever seen where the hero gets defeated and raped halfway through the movie.

I love how much the hero's name is SCORPION and he has that huge skull hood ornament on his car the movie makes a big deal about and everyone talks about him in nearly reverent tones like he is the absolute ultimate rear end kicker of the wasteland but like, he just gets owned repeatedly throughout the movie any time a little kid or Fred Williamson isn't saving his rear end. And he's just so socially a loser dumbass too, that scene when when he says good bye to Fred Williamson and is just standing around like, what? :laffo:

I wish Castellari did another one just about with Fred Williamson's character though because that bow and his armor is amazing.

I fuckin' love that movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Halloween Jack posted:

Super

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Italian exploitation movies really need like a check on the corner of the box on streaming services for whether or not they contain rape.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That kind of thing usually comes with the TV-* rating, stuff like

TV-M
Violence,
Drug Use,
Profanity

Would be nice to know what you're getting into with the movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Italian exploitation movies really need like a check on the corner of the box on streaming services for whether or not they contain rape.

I wouldn't mind that for every movie, really. It's probably the biggest turn-off for most people (including me), more than murder or gore or animal deaths.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

I love how much the hero's name is SCORPION and he has that huge skull hood ornament on his car the movie makes a big deal about and everyone talks about him in nearly reverent tones like he is the absolute ultimate rear end kicker of the wasteland but like, he just gets owned repeatedly throughout the movie any time a little kid or Fred Williamson isn't saving his rear end. And he's just so socially a loser dumbass too, that scene when when he says good bye to Fred Williamson and is just standing around like, what? :laffo:

I wish Castellari did another one just about with Fred Williamson's character though because that bow and his armor is amazing.

I fuckin' love that movie.
Other than the rape, the strangest thing to me is that scarcity is simply not a theme in this post-apocalyptic movie. No one is ever scavenging or stealing resources. The bad guys are death cultists who want to kill everyone on Earth because...I suppose because they're bored driving their modified golf carts around the same quarry over and over.

Giancarlo Prete was a stuntman before he became an actor, so maybe there's a pattern there. Your post reminded be of Parole Violators, another film starring a stuntman-turned-actor (and directed by his father) where the hero shows off those skills by just getting his rear end kicked, over and over. And not in a Die Hard or Jackie Chan sort of way where he's always up against overwhelming odds and gets kicked around. In a reverse of a typical action beat, there's a scene where he's fighting a single henchman, he's losing, so he pulls a knife on the guy--and the guy beats him up anyway and then throws him off a cliff.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You all reminded me: What is the video for Muse's "Knights of Cydonia" emulating or paying homage to? I always figured it was inspired by spaghetti Westerns, but also low-budget European (maybe Italian?) schlocky sci-fi/fantasy films, between the laser guns, robots, and the Statue of Liberty sticking out of the desert (a la Planet of the Apes). I just don't know enough about that subgenre to know if it's referencing specific films or the work of specific filmmakers. The Roman numerals shown on the title card, MCLMXXXI, mean 1981, so does it capture the tone and feel of similar films from that era?

This is the video, by the way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Yc3HhSl1Q

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That's basically a pastiche of Leone, Argento and Cameron.

Edit: With a dash of Corman.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

verdigris murder posted:

I’d like to watch some sort of action movie, but it’s based around the idea that when you jack off (basically a prostate cancer firewall) there’s a huge battle happening. It’d be analogous to Ready Player One, which also did many action bits great, especially the car race, and without any bgm.
same

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

You all reminded me: What is the video for Muse's "Knights of Cydonia" emulating or paying homage to? I always figured it was inspired by spaghetti Westerns, but also low-budget European (maybe Italian?) schlocky sci-fi/fantasy films, between the laser guns, robots, and the Statue of Liberty sticking out of the desert (a la Planet of the Apes). I just don't know enough about that subgenre to know if it's referencing specific films or the work of specific filmmakers. The Roman numerals shown on the title card, MCLMXXXI, mean 1981, so does it capture the tone and feel of similar films from that era?

This is the video, by the way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Yc3HhSl1Q
Found this quote from Joseph Kahn where he mentions "there was the endless rotation of those lost HBO gems: Beastmaster, Spacehunter, The Sword And The Sorcerer, the list goes on. "Futuristic Cowboys" was the spec I got when they sent me the track, and frankly, I may have been the only director who actually decided to write a futuristic cowboy music video.."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

That's the one time the imdb parent's guide is useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

duz posted:

That's the one time the imdb parent's guide is useful.

It’s also useful if you want a laugh, as the people who fill that thing out are nuts.