Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LifeLynx posted:

What kind of code issue would cause this?

/shrug

I just like to weed things out at the highest level first even if it seems silly. I'm such a bad coder anything is possible when I'm responsible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
How is your content sized? Could it be a rem/em issue?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Maybe it's windows 10 UI scaling set to 150%. Looking at the screenshot that seems about right .

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

Maybe it's windows 10 UI scaling set to 150%. Looking at the screenshot that seems about right .

That affects websites as well? Is there anything I can do about it on my end? I showed the site to a bunch of other people and no one had problems.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

If that's it then I don't think so? It basically turns their monitor into some sort of virtual 720p retina screen.

Maybe by using relative units or something ?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

LifeLynx posted:

That affects websites as well? Is there anything I can do about it on my end? I showed the site to a bunch of other people and no one had problems.
It does indeed. My laptop is 1920x1080 nominal, but with 150% scaling the browser window is only 1280x720 according to the Chrome dev tool. I actually got a growler of booze for pointing out that a UX person was getting caught by the same issue, and it's one of the things I regularly catch as causing problems for bosses, along with malformed JSON.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

That's why you convert everything to Q units for consistent quarter-millimeter measurements.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey bros; another commercial-site Q. How do you recommend getting an email address at a custom domain? For context, I have a back-end server using a heroku domain, and my own front-end domain. Ideally would use the custom domain, but either would do. Back end runs Python/Django. Search: several shady sites supply said service.

Btw, y'alls info thus far on payments and front-end hosting has been stellar

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

darthbob88 posted:

It does indeed. My laptop is 1920x1080 nominal, but with 150% scaling the browser window is only 1280x720 according to the Chrome dev tool. I actually got a growler of booze for pointing out that a UX person was getting caught by the same issue, and it's one of the things I regularly catch as causing problems for bosses, along with malformed JSON.

I bet that's it, going to bring it up to them tomorrow. How common is this UI scaling problem? I guess I got complacent in not testing my preliminary designs for 1280x720 as much as I should because I figured no one used it anymore.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LifeLynx posted:

I guess I got complacent in not testing my preliminary designs for 1280x720 as much as I should because I figured no one used it anymore.

You really should be making those decisions on analytics not gut instincts. 1366 is the most commonly used resolution genetically, and obviously you should be checking google analytics for your clients specific audience.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

LifeLynx posted:

I bet that's it, going to bring it up to them tomorrow. How common is this UI scaling problem? I guess I got complacent in not testing my preliminary designs for 1280x720 as much as I should because I figured no one used it anymore.
Fairly common, as a practice if not a problem.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

You really should be making those decisions on analytics not gut instincts. 1366 is the most commonly used resolution genetically, and obviously you should be checking google analytics for your clients specific audience.

I know, I was using 1920x1080 as a baseline because I knew from going to my main client's office occasionally that their displays were all 1920x1080. So when I sent over my initial quick homepage designs, I didn't test them for 1280x720, and I couldn't figure out why sometimes they'd come back with "this is overlapping, and this looks weird," etc.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm looking for a React component that will make it easy (well, less hard) to make a bunch of smallish grids/tables that can:
Have 'sticky' rows (think footer rollup totals)
Hide/show columns and rows
Limit the number of rows viewable before scrolling
Handle multi-row and multi-cell selection with click+drag (with some API to control what gets or appears to be selected because there are some annoying rules about some cells selecting the whole row instead of one cell)

This is the thing I was posting about in the Working in Development thread, if anyone reads that. Someone suggested Kendo UI's spreadsheet control, but I've heard bad things about Kendo.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Hey bros; another commercial-site Q. How do you recommend getting an email address at a custom domain? For context, I have a back-end server using a heroku domain, and my own front-end domain. Ideally would use the custom domain, but either would do. Back end runs Python/Django. Search: several shady sites supply said service.

Btw, y'alls info thus far on payments and front-end hosting has been stellar

Save yourself a ton of trouble and just use Google's G Suite. Email is like technological black magic. When it works, it works. When it stops working there are a thousand things that might have gone wrong with little to no transparency about what broke where. Unless you are in IT, managing your own email server is a recipe for disaster and calls from clients at 2 o'clock in the morning saying, "I just sent out our biggest proposal of the year and it bounced back and now all of our email is literally on fire and in people's spam folders, I NEED YOU TO FIX IT NOW!!"

My short and fast rules on email are:

1. Never manage the server yourself (unless you are in IT)
2. Never host email on a web server
3. Always host email on its own server, or better yet
4. Set the client up with a provider (eg. Google or whoever) who is responsible for managing everything past the initial setup, so when something inevitably breaks you can point your client to their support.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

kedo posted:

Save yourself a ton of trouble and just use Google's G Suite. Email is like technological black magic. When it works, it works. When it stops working there are a thousand things that might have gone wrong with little to no transparency about what broke where. Unless you are in IT, managing your own email server is a recipe for disaster and calls from clients at 2 o'clock in the morning saying, "I just sent out our biggest proposal of the year and it bounced back and now all of our email is literally on fire and in people's spam folders, I NEED YOU TO FIX IT NOW!!"

My short and fast rules on email are:

1. Never manage the server yourself (unless you are in IT)
2. Never host email on a web server
3. Always host email on its own server, or better yet
4. Set the client up with a provider (eg. Google or whoever) who is responsible for managing everything past the initial setup, so when something inevitably breaks you can point your client to their support.
Awesome; thanks! Mainly I just want to be able to email customers on an online store with order confirmations and responses to (form-submitted-toDB) questions and have it look professional rather than from my personal email account.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
I'm looking to implement a funnel graph like this but I'm not sure where to get started on the maths. I'm thinking SVG something or another but it's a bit of a grey area for me. Any pointers?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Awesome; thanks! Mainly I just want to be able to email customers on an online store with order confirmations and responses to (form-submitted-toDB) questions and have it look professional rather than from my personal email account.

For automated transactional emails like that you can use something like Mandrill or SendGrid. G Suites is really only good if you need actual email addresses with inboxes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I think you're using Django, right Dominoes?

SendGrid has really nice Django integration. Once you configure it, you just send emails via Django with send_mail like you always do.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

You bet. Sounds like the best option!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dominoes posted:

Yeah, your instinct is correct. Also make sure stuff like domain keys, spf, etc are all set up so those order confirmations/tracking notifications don't go to the junk mail folder.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Well, that was trivial to set up. Won't ask how it lets you pick any 'from' email address you want...

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I'm looking to implement a funnel graph like this but I'm not sure where to get started on the maths. I'm thinking SVG something or another but it's a bit of a grey area for me. Any pointers?

100% is going to be the full height of the graph, then the transition from one percentile to another uses a standard bezier curve. You probably want to try in d3.js.

Also see, more boring version.

edit: apparently a basic area chart would work too.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 9, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Dominoes posted:

Well, that was trivial to set up. Won't ask how it lets you pick any 'from' email address you want...

You can put anything in the from field, IIRC.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dominoes posted:

That's just how e-mail works.

If you use a from address that doesn't belong to you, a properly configured mail server will filter it as spam.

This is why things like SPF, DKIM and DMARC exist.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

100% is going to be the full height of the graph, then the transition from one percentile to another uses a standard bezier curve. You probably want to try in d3.js.

Thanks, that’ll get me in the right direction. That bezier-smoothed horizontal funnel graph seems trending, is there a commonly used algorithm for determining the control points on the Bézier curve?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Thanks, that’ll get me in the right direction. That bezier-smoothed horizontal funnel graph seems trending, is there a commonly used algorithm for determining the control points on the Bézier curve?

Just eyeballing it, I would set the two control points so that they are both at the midpoint along the x-axis. For the y values, use the y values of the two end points. Basically like the third picture on this page: https://javascript.info/bezier-curve

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

You can put anything in the from field, IIRC.

The Fool posted:

That's just how e-mail works.

If you use a from address that doesn't belong to you, a properly configured mail server will filter it as spam.

This is why things like SPF, DKIM and DMARC exist.
Thanks. One more... Is there a trick to making emails sent from Django come up in a native browser font instead of a small, monospaced one? Also getting random parts of the email hyperlinked, and part of it dark grey, part black. Just passing the message as a Python docstring.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dominoes posted:

Thanks. One more... Is there a trick to making emails sent from Django come up in a native browser font instead of a small, monospaced one? Also getting random parts of the email hyperlinked, and part of it dark grey, part black. Just passing the message as a Python docstring.

Use HTML formatting and make sure your MIMEtype is text/html

https://sendgrid.com/docs/Classroom/Build/Format_Content/html_rendering__the_dos_and_donts_of_cross_platform_email_design.html

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Dominoes posted:

Email messages are MIME multipart, I'm guessing that you're just setting the text part, which is often rendered in monospace on clients. You should find where on the API you can set an HTML part that'll probably need some paragraph tags or something simple to get it to be valid HTML and keep the client from guessing too much about how to render it. Probably don't stop setting the text part as well, just also set the HTML part.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks dudes; spot on, again. Removed the 'message' arg from the Django func that sends email, and replaced it with an 'html_message' one; added <h> and <p> tags to the fstring. Works great now.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Looking for critique on the website I've been posting about. I've never made a website designed to be pretty before or sell something. What should I change? WIP link Probably need some stock photos of attractive people drinking tea.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 13, 2018

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The tea pop-ups are slightly broken on mobile FYI. And the sliders are hard to use.
And the background looks weird as well.

General styling seems ok to me.
Maybe add some animations ?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks dude. Are the sliders any better now?

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
I would add an alternate input for sliders as then can be annoying to use, especially if you want to get a specific number. Would also be good to have the alternate input to accommodate users using assistive technologies.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dominoes posted:

Looking for critique on the website I've been posting about. I've never made a website designed to be pretty before or sell something. What should I change? WIP link Probably need some stock photos of attractive people drinking tea.

Looks good; I'll mirror what others have said about the sliders. They're a handy shortcut on mobile but a lot of people's brains aren't wired that way to use them, especially in an ecommerce setting.

I don't know if you're concerned about it, but Google does require any site that uses adwords (facebook too I think?) to have a privacy policy document, and it's a good idea to have a terms & conditions section as well for ecommerce (shipping methods, return policies, etc). There's generators for both online, and I think Google even has one for adwords specific applications. Speaking of hand holding feel goods, maybe make the About more personal as well saying "founded by a multi-generational tea company" (if possible) and giving a rough area where they work from so people know it's not a cut-out company for an overseas interest.

I used to work in the biz (coffee & tea) and I'd suggest having a page for each ingredient as well. The current design is very sleek and minimalist but almost... too much so in the latter case. Things I'd suggest putting on there are sourcing information, organic certifications (if any), suggested blends for that ingredient, etc. The sourcing could be a good story if you have information about it, e.g. profiles on farms and growers and so on. Would also suggest some packaging pictures (perhaps on individual product pages?) so people know what to expect when they get their box/envelope.

Lastly, as you probably know, this is mostly just a list of ingredients. A lot of people will know what they prefer but maybe suggest/steer them to certain blends that you could pre-package in future.

Lastly lastly, there's a pretty active tea thread in Goons with Spoons; if you're confident in the wares after go live maybe get some opinions there.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Love those suggestions; going to get started.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

For what it's worth, yes the newer sliders are better than the old one's

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If we're calling this pretty then it has a lot of room to run to get there. But the UX flaws are probably bigger (Scaramouche did a good job outlining a bulk of them) and more importantly this isn't necessarily enticing from an offer standpoint.

You might want to consider how to balance an 'easy mode' and 'advanced mode', or have an easier way to see what I've added and make adjustments to the list in sum.

Maybe your audience understands this at a numerical level but dumb folks are probably just going to want to manage the scale of how much in bigger steps. I'll give it a deeper dive when I get home later.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

HappyHippo posted:

Just eyeballing it, I would set the two control points so that they are both at the midpoint along the x-axis. For the y values, use the y values of the two end points. Basically like the third picture on this page: https://javascript.info/bezier-curve

Thanks, I think an area chart mirrored across the X-Axis with cardinal spline interpolation on the curves should create the exact effect I'm looking for. Will post a codepen when I get time to code this out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Dominoes posted:

Echoing what others have said those sliders need to go. Maybe a toggle would be ok? Or a check box? Or a button that says Add and changes to Remove?

The popup is really big on mobile and honestly clicking the image to close it is unintuitive. My natural reaction is to touch outside the popup to close it, maybe consider using a shadowbox/lightbox instead or at least make it scale to my browser width if you must use a popup.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 13, 2018