Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Fojar38 posted:

If I'm under attack by pirates does warping in my capital ship help or is that a bad idea?

You can warp your capital ship in and then park in it to get away at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Cantorsdust posted:

You can warp your capital ship in and then park in it to get away at least.

Once during a pirate attack, the docking glow changed from blue to orange and it wouldn't let me dock. They may have been after a nearby NPC freighter and not me though, I wasn't really paying attention.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jaxyon posted:

My understanding is that your cap ship turrets don't actually do any damage, only you do damage.

Not so. If you have combat frigates and they are in the same system they warp to you immediately if you are attacked and engage the pirates. It's pretty funny and a nice touch.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I loving love blowing myself up with the grenade launcher.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

With enough oxygen / life support fuel you can do an orbit drop from a frigate to a planet. There’s a video on Reddit. It’s great.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

With enough oxygen / life support fuel you can do an orbit drop from a frigate to a planet. There’s a video on Reddit. It’s great.

While atop one of my frigates I almost boosted off but decided against experimenting. Once I get three more movement upgrades to throw into my general tab I will definitely try this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can do it at base levels with a suicide burn. I had to when my damaged frigate appeared in geosynchronous orbit and didn't spawn with its geometry, so I fell through it disembarking.

e: Where do you buy technology for freighters? I haven't seen anything anywhere yet but my freighter has four slots for it. Also I'm pretty sure when it exchanged my freighter without asking me to confirm it deleted my other two ships. I don't see them in my new one. :argh:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 8, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Base Archive still freaking out. Setting it as a waypoint in the galaxy map shows it some absurd number of LY away, to the point that I don;t think I can even see it on the map, the trail ends only 800 ly away, but the waypoint says over 100k or something like that. What I think happened is that I got wombo combo'd by two different bugs. First, the freighter bug with this mission, which is setting the mission to be a on a freighter. The second, is the earlier bug I had where I claimed a rescued freighter and it bugged out, allowing me to transfer items to it before disappearing never to be seen again (and the game telling me I don't own a freighter.) I think those two combined have created a perfect storm situation.

It's weird though because I thought it got fixed after messing around with placing a new base on a new planet because it changed on the HUD and said "building waypoint received, save progress and claim blueprints" or something like that, but there is no waypoints on my screen and accessing the nearest computer does nothing. Also looking through my visor shows the same "base is in another system" message.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there any easy way to transfer words known to a new save other than putting them all in by hand in the save editor?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Burns posted:

:same:

Because having the grenade fire on the same keybind as backing out of conversations is such a smart idea. One click too many coming out of a menu and BOOM, another gravestone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ratzap posted:

:same:

Because having the grenade fire on the same keybind as backing out of conversations is such a smart idea. One click too many coming out of a menu and BOOM, another gravestone.

It switches the trigger on me. Sometimes it's RMB, sometimes I need to hold RMB and fire with LMB, which feels more sensible.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Burns posted:

I got so annoyed with it I just carry a stack of mats and build it on the spot when I need it, then destroy it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Where do you buy technology for freighters? I haven't seen anything anywhere yet but my freighter has four slots for it. Also I'm pretty sure when it exchanged my freighter without asking me to confirm it deleted my other two ships. I don't see them in my new one. :argh:

Recipes are from manufacturing facilities.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

GruntyThrst posted:

I got so annoyed with it I just carry a stack of mats and build it on the spot when I need it, then destroy it.

I installed the combat visor just so I can switch to it so I don't blow myself up. Of course, it seems there are things that still auto switch it anyway because this is NMS.

Burns
May 10, 2008

GruntyThrst posted:

Instead of rebuilding it my solution has been to discharge it and only load it when blowing up facility doors.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I just blow up facility doors with my shotgun instead.

I could turn on the personal shield, but that thing is so terrible I feel bad about using it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sending stuff to storage and having it start a new slot for no reason is infuriating. 340/1000 mordite? Gonna start a new stack with this 20 you just sent.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
This is starting to piss me off. Is there a correlation between a planet's 'lushness' and it's sentinel activity? I'm 4/4 on getting excited about planets I'd finally like to build on and sentinel activity being off the charts.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Bruceski posted:

Is there any easy way to transfer words known to a new save other than putting them all in by hand in the save editor?

Open up the save editor, choose Edit dropdown, then "Edit raw JSON". Open up the folder "Player State Data", about halfway down will be the folder "Known Words." Select that. Highlight everything in the text box on the right and copy that. Paste that into the same folder in your new save, and your words have now been transferred all at once.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Viperix posted:

This is starting to piss me off. Is there a correlation between a planet's 'lushness' and it's sentinel activity? I'm 4/4 on getting excited about planets I'd finally like to build on and sentinel activity being off the charts.

I'm pretty sure it's random. All of my aggressive sentinel planets have been pretty barren.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Yeah, I figured as much. Actually just found two more neat planets, one, non-lush was also crawling with sentinels, and the other was constant, albeit non-damaging, rain. So cool planet, but can't see poo poo, ever. So this game just doesn't want me to have anything nice.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Libluini posted:

(Twenty hours of play time later, I suddenly got a blueprint which needs this crap. Of course now I have no idea how to find sodium balls again. :shepface: )

I found those balls using the scanner and following the yellow markers. The scanner points to resources in caves as well (even if in this case it is erratic and it just points to the cave and you actually need to look around).

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Viperix posted:

I think it's random.

Found this one yesterday, pretty neat except for the red sky

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

Open up the save editor, choose Edit dropdown, then "Edit raw JSON". Open up the folder "Player State Data", about halfway down will be the folder "Known Words." Select that. Highlight everything in the text box on the right and copy that. Paste that into the same folder in your new save, and your words have now been transferred all at once.

Yeah, I figured that out on my second try, after missing a comma (which for some reason caused the editor to say there was an error in a line different from the one missing the comma).

New game started, starter ship exchanged for my exotic the Blazing Skeeter (though I named it based off the wrong ship model and I think I need to go for something like Tipsy Albatross instead), and it started me out in a system with star bulb, cactus, solarium and gamma root planets so I think I'll settle in nicely once I get through the early tutorial stuff and start building bases. Easy uranium pyrite and phosphorus are gonna be handy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Experience of the night: crashed freighter needed corprite. I found one critter and fed it, and a herd came over looking for food. They wandered around mooing and pooping until I had a decent haul.

And since I also needed mordite for those crates, I proceeded to go Bambi on every last one of them. Pulled about a mill in sellables.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Pretty sure lush/temperate/tropical type planets seem to have higher density of word pillars and buried tech. I feel like I am like 5/5 in finding these planets completely littered with those two things. Can't say the same for cold planets.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ToastyPotato posted:

Pretty sure lush/temperate/tropical type planets seem to have higher density of word pillars and buried tech. I feel like I am like 5/5 in finding these planets completely littered with those two things. Can't say the same for cold planets.

i thikn this is just a sentinel thing. if theres lots of artifact bullshit, there's lots of robots to guard them

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think all my nice planets have been chill sentinel wise. I found my first hostile planet and it was a dead world that didn't seem to have anything useful on it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ratzap posted:

This landed in front of me as I was about to leave.

S17:6 exotic, 50 to 70% increase on shields, damage etc

I'd almost finished repairing a C34:8 that I got from a distress call and just had enough on me to cover the difference. Yeah it's a bit low on cargo slots but it moves so well and it's fast. I have a 2nd, near identical C34:8 in my freighter to repair too so I can use that one when I need a lot of slots. Plus I just hopped my freighter into a system with emeril planets - gonna fill my boots with chromatic.

Oh man, that's almost exactly my pre-Next exotic ship. Hoping to find one like it soon, right now I'm getting around in this solar panel festooned explorer. It only uses 10% thruster fuel per launch which helps things a bit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I saw an exotic that looked like a fat red vase with two mini vases on its sides. It had ornamental gold trim on it like 1800’s regalia. Way out of my price range, but man that thing looked pimp.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm pretty sure it's random. All of my aggressive sentinel planets have been pretty barren.

Is it? I've had huge sentinel presence where you'd expect, mostly, though it does seem to have at least some unpredictability to it. Still, the dead, barren planets mostly have sentinels that might occasionally look at me and shrug but the nice planets I actually want to mercilessly pillage and ravage live on turn them trigger-happy and numerous.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

My 21°C planet that never gets storms or crazy temps at night has barely any Sentinel presence and the rad giant hollow cube Rock formations

You'll find one eventually. My plan is to make a base on an airless moon next

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

EC posted:

My new ship has a weird bug: https://twitter.com/notecec/status/1026857162935595011?s=21

This was my cockpit view until I happened to land on and repair a frigate.

I get the same bug on the same ship model. It doesn't happen very often and when it does exiting and renetering fixes it for me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

It's hot and the trilobites are swarming. Must be summer.

From the same planet. Some kind of bear with horns.

My first stalker. And suddenly, NMS turned into a horror game

These floating crystals are another source of "Destablised Sodium". Heh, didn't notice this typo until now. :v:

I can't help myself, I really like crystals.

After setting up a base computer, Merry Nadhor assembled her first, very basic base.

Very basic at first, since I placed my computer too close to the water and was now in trouble trying to get it enclosed inside the base.

Not seen: The wall I accidentally put into the water. This UI is terrible.

Suddenly, Merry Nadhor's suit ran out of juice in the middle of her psychotic base building. She fainted. But instead of dying, she was abruptly startled awake by her suite rebooting. Someone had come by and refilled her suit. In addition, all her belongings had been taken. After a short moment of panic, she noticed a weird, floating construct in the air behind her. Curious, she got closer. As she approached the alien thing, it hummed and opened a small window: Astonished, Merry saw that it was filled with all of her possessions. How strange! Apparently this little floater used the same space-folding technology used to allow her suit to store tons and tons of crap. She put her belongings back into her suit and took off to secure some oxygen. After all, there was no guarantee her unknown benefactor would help her out again. Also she kind of felt embarrassed to have run her life support dry just because she had been too excited playing around with her new shelter...

And then I died. Turns out that after staying here for too long, I'd used up everything i could have used to fuel my life support. Additionally, I didn't notice all that hydrogen and oxygen re-spawning after death, since my scanner was now broken. So later I died a second, even stupider death. Luckily, since my deaths were just next to my ship, there were no consequences. I just had to repair my scanner. Otherwise the deaths were more like cheap refills.

Building continued.

The other side of this (I forgot to make screenshots) formed a little pier into the ocean bay. Looks nice, trust me. Also funny story: Before I set up those doors with their blue energy fields, animals (even fish) often just walked right into my base. Or swam, which looked really hilarious.

The place of my second death: With just a couple minutes left of my death-refill, I was kind of under pressure to get my scanner repaired asap. Too bad this meant to continue to mine, even with a Sentinel hovering right next to me. At exact the moment I had enough stuff to make the repairs, the Sentinel shot me in the back. Cheeky fucker.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I like your screenshots, breaks up the thread a bit :3

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Experience of the night: crashed freighter needed corprite. I found one critter and fed it, and a herd came over looking for food. They wandered around mooing and pooping until I had a decent haul.

And since I also needed mordite for those crates, I proceeded to go Bambi on every last one of them. Pulled about a mill in sellables.

I think you can just refine coprite to mordite using a refiner :v:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Oh hey, I haven't played NMS since launch week but saw that is had gotten a big update recently so I've been noodling around in it over the past week or so. It's still a janky, buggy, frustrating piece of crap (seriously, I've had more hard crashes in the past week for this game then I've had in the past decade for every other game on every platform I own) but it's...charming.

A rainbow? No, wait...

Celestial Spheres (those mini galaxy looking things turned out to be bubbles in the sunlight)

A planet made out of hexagons?

A lower view of the "trees". This planet creeps me the heck out.

Saved this monster pirates, it's mine now. Not sure if it's a freighter or a battleship...

Here's how we met:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD9zEFu_bGI

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Not only does your ship not spawn on your landing pad when you warp to your base, other ships will land on it and prevent you from using it. WTF NMS

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Chikimiki posted:

I think you can just refine coprite to mordite using a refiner :v:

Ain't NOBODY got time for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Had a different crash to desktop last night while trying to buy a ship, have decided to put the game down for a week or so until I have a CPU that doesn't bottleneck my video card. This one was kernel exception instead of a timeout, so that's progress(?)

It sucks because I do actually really enjoy playing NMS.