Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

StabbinHobo posted:

keep driving though, everybody keep driving. get in that car and go.

Well I can't ride my bike. It's too drat hot outside!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Shibawanko posted:

That's not fascism and i hope that happens

Well it's kinda fascist in the terms of the total denial of the individual in favour of the collective, but at least it would be for a good end. Don't mean to start a derail on what constitutes fascism.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ShredsYouSay posted:

Well it's kinda fascist in the terms of the total denial of the individual in favour of the collective, but at least it would be for a good end. Don't mean to start a derail on what constitutes fascism.

forcibly sterilizing 80% of people absolutely counts as fascist.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

VideoGameVet posted:

But where to locate?

Having had two wildfires come within sight of where I currently live (Carlsbad, CA) AT THE SAME TIME I would hate to be in some nice forest (Oregon) and wake up to that situation.

I live in Virginia so I was thinking up towards Leesburg. Virginia is kind of insulated from a lot of disasters because of the mountains and how far we are up from the coast. Most tropical storms lose all their bite before they get to us.

One lighting system I am a big fan of are mirror chambered skylights. They can give you enough visibility to walk down the hallway at night without having to turn on the lights. Pretty cool stuff.

Part of me wants to buy up more land just so I can prevent development on it and turn it into a wildlife refuge and plant trees and forbid hunting and fishing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Communist Bear posted:

Going by the research and other parts of global climate change:

The equator regions and a little beyond that would turn into uninhabitable dead zones, with temperatures ranging in the 50 degrees celsius and with pretty much all forms of complex life dead. You'd probably be looking at scorched desert and cracked dry land with extreme surface temperatures. No sandy dunes here, just dead slightly irradiated wasteland. This is bad news in itself for a start, since this area contains some of the largest majority of flora and fauna, including the sort of trees that do the important job of recycling the atmosphere to help us breathe. Even if these areas were to somehow survive, their temperature levels matched with humidity would be so high that anything in them would die quickly from hyperthermia.

North of the equator towards Europe, its ecosystem will be going through varying levels of different effects. Spain would presumably be something equivalent of Morocco by now, with temperatures on a normal day being in the 40's. Italy, Greece and the Turkey would be suffering from the same effects, with wild fires a common occurrence. Further north would become your Spain, with England regularly receiving temperatures in the 35's and Scotland starting to break into the 30's also.

You can imagine it as basically the desert sandy areas of the Earth expanding ever increasingly outward. Either that or take a look at this:

And imagine that as just what the world looks like now - bleached and tanned.

A dead equator equals a drop in natural flora which equals a rise in carbon dioxide levels which equals death. A rise in temperatures in Europe seems to clearly equal a rise in forest fires which again equals death. Temperature changes in the atmosphere equals the death of the gulf stream which equals regular superstorms which equals death.

I mean, every cloud has a silver lining. By the time nature is finished, its likely 40% of the human population will be dead. Presumably that amount of culling will result in a gradual cooling off the Earth over time...

Either way we're hosed.

Hot house earth is a condition that earth has been in the past. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_and_icehouse_Earth

There will be complex life in those wastelands. Human life won't be compatible with the conditions, but life in general is. Too bad about the entire mass extinction even we're causing taking us with it though.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

If I'm 30 now do I have much of a future left before poo poo gets bad? Like, should I make plans to euthanize myself when poo poo collapses?

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 7, 2018

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Elderbean posted:

If I'm 30 now do I have much of a future left before poo poo gets bad?

poo poo is bad right now if you live in wildfire country or puerto rico. Climate change is all gradual trends, you're never going to wake up one day into The Road. How you position yourself for the future and what you define as 'bad' will have a non-trivial impact on how things turn out on an individual level.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Elderbean posted:

If I'm 30 now do I have much of a future left before poo poo gets bad? Like, should I make plans to euthanize myself when poo poo collapses?

Focus on staying healthy and minimalistic and enjoy the show.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Elderbean posted:

Move to Vancouver island/south Alaska.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
If we all move underground can jumpstart evolving into morlocks. Question is many elites can we cannibalize before twitter starts noticing?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Elderbean posted:

This is about as sensible a thought as living during the Cold War and pondering if you should euthanize yourself prior to the nuclear war.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Elukka posted:

This is about as sensible a thought as living during the Cold War and pondering if you should euthanize yourself prior to the nuclear war.

Really not the same, don't know why you're making the equivalency. But don't euthanize yourself.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lambert posted:

Really not the same, don't know why you're making the equivalency. But don't euthanize yourself.

It’s a pretty astute observation that every generation says the end is near and we are living the last generation and it’s not a claim with a good track record even if people glue it to actual problems

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s a pretty astute observation that every generation says the end is near and we are living the last generation and it’s not a claim with a good track record even if people glue it to actual problems

Not really?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Lambert posted:

Not really?

stop replying to him jesus chirst

Nice piece of fish posted:

Conversely, how potentially effective could it be to replant and form artificial salt marshes/mangroves? Would this be possible as well as feasible?

tough: there's structural elements within the biome like certain soil qualities and tidal fluctuations that need to be generationally borne out of natural succession. Although an intensive effort could replicate or maybe even construct these aspects, you run hard up against the problem that literally nobody's brain is equipped to handle when floating solutions. Every effort and initiative to "replant" or "construct" or "form" incurs a CO2 debt in the near term that we are rapidly running out of time to mitigate that across the "ROI" if you will of the intervention. Every human activity since the industrial revolution has externalized energy costs into the consumption of fossil fuels, which are now the root of the problem. spend X tons of CO2 now to hopefully sequester Y tons over... a 10 year horizon? 5 year?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lambert posted:

Not really?

The world has a long history of people incorrectly predicting the world ending. Actual science indicates global warming is a real problem that has real effects and needs real solutions, but it’s not your ticket into your fallout fan fiction where you get to live at the last day of history

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The world has a long history of people incorrectly predicting the world ending. Actual science indicates global warming is a real problem that has real effects and needs real solutions, but it’s not your ticket into your fallout fan fiction where you get to live at the last day of history

I'm not saying it's a certainty, but if mass starvation is a possibility when I'm like 50-60 I'd rather just go out painlessly. I don't want to live in a hellscape.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Elderbean posted:

I'm not saying it's a certainty, but if mass starvation is a possibility when I'm like 50-60 I'd rather just go out painlessly taking as many denier chuds with me as physically possible. I don't want to live in a hellscape.

Is the correct approach

Whoever said ecofascism is spot on. It's draconian carbon footprint enforcement or the loving chop, citizen.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Elderbean posted:

I'm not saying it's a certainty, but if mass starvation is a possibility when I'm like 50-60 I'd rather just go out painlessly. I don't want to live in a hellscape.

I think the scariest thing to some people is coming to realize that global climate change is a problem people are going to have to live with for a very long time and we aren't going to wrap it up with a neat game over screen where everything just ends and we don't have to worry about it anymore.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the scariest thing to some people is coming to realize that global climate change is a problem people are going to have to live with for a very long time and we aren't going to wrap it up with a neat game over screen where everything just ends and we don't have to worry about it anymore.

Actually we are all going to wrap it up with a neat game over screen where everything just ends and we don't have to worry about it anymore, because eventually we will all die. Thankfully.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Elderbean posted:

You are already living in corporate neo-feudalism.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Actually we are all going to wrap it up with a neat game over screen where everything just ends and we don't have to worry about it anymore, because eventually we will all die. Thankfully.

I will die and you will die, and I think that is part of the reason people want to believe every age is the end of the world. Everything works better narratively if you are just lucky enough to be born at the point the earth finishes up the second you die. It's scarier to think about future generations actually dealing with actual problems from global warming than it is to just go "LOLO!!!! slit your wrists now,, it's all over when I'm gone!"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Reducing emissions to zero wouldn't get us where we need to be, no. We need carbon capture as well. So yes if carbon capture technology is implemented and also works.

The moment someone makes actual carbon capture devices viable, it will be used as an excuse to return to old carbon emissions, much like how LED christmas lights ended up being an excuse to pile on more lights and erase any energy savings.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Also, these temperature changes would be a lot scarier if you put them in fahrenheit instead of celsius.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
How long would it take carbon capture technology to actually have an impact? I just think of the sheer volume of CO2 released by humanity over quite a stretch and feel that's pretty difficult to offset expeditiously.

This seems like another issue. A fair number of people while still acknowledging climate change are not convinced it's due to CO2. If we cut emissions immediately the temp would still continue to climb for a period at which point these individuals would say 'See, told you it wasn't due to human activity!'

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Freakazoid_ posted:

much like how LED christmas lights ended up being an excuse to pile on more lights and erase any energy savings.

Where did you read that was a thing? You would need an unimaginable amount of LED christmas lights to match incandescent lights. You could cover every inch of your house in LEDs and not use as much power

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Where did you read that was a thing? You would need an unimaginable amount of LED christmas lights to match incandescent lights. You could cover every inch of your house in LEDs and not use as much power

Pretty sure it was a joke and they meant LED deployment in general: cities liked the energy savings from LED lighting so much they used way more of them to the point the net energy savings has ended up being neglible.

Same reason the benefits of increasing prevalence of cheap clean power have ended up being squandered by libertarians to mine buttcoins. Just more variants of Parkinson's Law in action.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Would there ever be a trend of where bitcoins and all the other garbage coins just get outlawed around the globe?

It is so tiresome to keep hearing about how inefficient it is (from an energy perspective and as a currency in general) and how it crashes repeatedly yet people are still all over it. All that poo poo does is just damage, get rid of it.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Gortarius posted:

Would there ever be a trend of where bitcoins and all the other garbage coins just get outlawed around the globe?

It is so tiresome to keep hearing about how inefficient it is (from an energy perspective and as a currency in general) and how it crashes repeatedly yet people are still all over it. All that poo poo does is just damage, get rid of it.

Getting rid of crypto currencies would be very difficult.

It could be done by fiat (lol), but enforcement would be difficult. Governments would have to be able to detect mining and enact punishment for doing so, which is hard if someone is just running a miner in his or her basement. Banning it from transactions would work for physical stores, but as long as you can transfer it over the web to someone in a different country and get real value in exchange there will remain a black market.

The real hope for getting rid of crypto currencies is economic. If they crash and lose most of their value, mining will disappear because it's simply not profitable. Governments can contribute to this by, e.g., making it illegal to use at your local store. But if it's still valuable to someone not beholden by that law, then it's still valuable period.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Do server farms and other internet infrastructure have a huge carb footprint?

There was a response to that guardian article about hothouse: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/07/climate-change-catastrophe-political-will-grassroots-engagement

Basically it argues that the hothouse scenario (as in, the climate tipping over into a new hot equilibrium state instead of just becoming warmer in an unstable manner) is not very probable, but the fact that it can't be ruled out should force us to prepare for it, since some of the feedback mechanisms, at least, are likely to actually occur and there are unknown unknowns.

Has there ever been a movie that does a fairly realistic portrayal of a climate changed future set at the end of this century? A movie like Snowpiercer is basically about climate change, for instance, but chooses to show a frozen world created as the result of a technological quick fix for global warming. Fiction doesn't seem to be actually able to show what will happen, probably because it'd be too traumatic..

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 8, 2018

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shibawanko posted:

Do server farms and other internet infrastructure have a huge carb footprint?

There was a response to that guardian article about hothouse: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/07/climate-change-catastrophe-political-will-grassroots-engagement

Basically it argues that the hothouse scenario (as in, the climate tipping over into a new hot equilibrium state instead of just becoming warmer in an unstable manner) is not very probable, but the fact that it can't be ruled out should force us to prepare for it, since some of the feedback mechanisms, at least, are likely to actually occur and there are unknown unknowns.

Has there ever been a movie that does a fairly realistic portrayal of a climate changed future set at the end of this century? A movie like Snowpiercer is basically about climate change, for instance, but chooses to show a frozen world created as the result of a technological quick fix for global warming. Fiction doesn't seem to be actually able to show what will happen, probably because it'd be too traumatic..

I can think of a ton of cultural and economic carrots and sticks preventing a climate change version of Threads from ever being made, yes.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

friendbot2000 posted:

I am planning on buying a 5 acre plot of land

Im currently working on five acres myself for similar reasons. Early days yet, but getting there step by step.

A few hours work over there even helps me forget things are going to poo poo- win/win situation tbh

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I can think of a ton of cultural and economic carrots and sticks preventing a climate change version of Threads from ever being made, yes.

Oh have no fear- I'm sure climate change instability will be more than enough to give some areas a real strong chance of seeing the canned sunshine opened up just like in threads and not just the damage from the big 'ol bastard 8 light minutes away.

A CND style movement against climate change, with the kind of power they had by the late-80's would be a great asset though.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Elderbean posted:

Depends. Do you live in a first world country? Congratulations, you have a much better chance of surviving into old age.

Things aren't going to collapse within a week; climate change is much more insidious than that. It's a slow progression of ever increasing problems, rather than waking up in the morning to a Day After Tomorrow or Road scenario. If we fail to do anything today then the ballpark figure is that things will be very bad by 2100, but even then it's still likely the human population will be kicking about.

Your problem areas are as described earlier in this thread and probably for pages backward - cities near to seas and water zones will see ever increasing risks of flooding and I think alot of research argues that by 2050 (if not sooner) you'll see major population centers suffering from flooding risks. We're talking the likes of London or New York starting to suffer from catastrophic floods.

Then there's the other issues. We're already seeing consistent heat waves now during the summer period, with even the wettest times having hot global temperatures. Wild fires are drat near a yearly occurrence now, to the point that places such as California are reporting that they can no longer stop them. Places not normally known for fires are springing up all across the globe, including in arctic regions.

Then there's food, with common bread basket land areas starting to increasingly shrink or report shortfall of crops due to weather effects.

Then there's migratory changes, not just at an animal level, but also at a bacterial and viral level. Diseases that were commonly found in small pockets are now springing up across large areas. Ebola is one example of this, but the more recognizable one is the Zika virus, what was once a barely heard of virus.

Basically as I said, it's a combination of factors rather than one giant hurricane sweeping across LA, killing everyone and causing snow. How bad poo poo gets is very much dependent on the actions and reactions of nature and how this trickles down to you.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Did anybody ever figure out WTF is going on with bees?

And if it turned out to be actually true that our RF-soaked atmosphere confuses their navigation then frankly I just give up because that is ridiculous.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shibawanko posted:

Fiction doesn't seem to be actually able to show what will happen, probably because it'd be too traumatic..

What would you want them to film? Lots and lots of movies have said the words "global warming" to explain why it's post apocalyptic in the setting, like interstellar and the new blade runner, or used global warming to explain the extreme disasters happening like waterworld or day after tomorrow, or used global warming as the end of the world threat like downsizing (yes, that weird comedy about shrinking no one watched).

What would a threads movie about global warming even be? It's not like it's a single event that happens over the course of 3 days or anything. Are people going to sit in a room and talk about like, the statistical increase in the death from heat stroke the elderly will face over the next 15 years or whatever? Global warming is a slow moving global thing, what movie do you film about it? You either have to sex it up by making a disaster movie where everything is crazy and compressed or you make a far future dystopia and say "global warming" to justify whatever you decided the dystopia is like.

Beasts of the southern wild is probably the most what real global warming will look like, with a personal story of one girl in one town watching her poor town get strangled by repeated flooding from rising seawater but it's not a bingo bongo simple apocalypse where everyone on earth dies at the end movie it may not be what people would want out of a global warming movie.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What would a threads movie about global warming even be?
We follow the personal story of a young woman, conscripted into Frontex, as she tries to make sense of her job as a border guard in the face of abject human tragedy. Every day we see her talking to a young refugee boy through a tiny hole in the border wall, who lives in a makeshift refugee camp on the other side, communicating as best they can. And every day she tells him that help is on the way. Near the end of the movie, we see a convoy of planes in the distance - finally, help has arrived! What falls from the sky is not food however, but chemical weapons, and the refugee camp is scoured of life. When next we see the boy, he's laid on top of a pile of corpses being transported away by truck, as the young woman sheds a single tear and we shift into another scene where a slick politician commends her for bravely defending Western civilization.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
What is this stuff I keep hearing about CO2 having a saturation point so actually it totally doesn't trap heat anymore?

I see something along those lines being brought up on various comment sections on articles and videos and it seems like a load of bullpuck.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Wakko posted:

Sticking your head in the sand, ignoring reality with "oh technology will solve this" and going back to worshipping at the altar of materialism will leave you increasingly poorly prepared for the future. Like I told the guy who just shows up to panic, it's important to build an ethos that's compatible with living interesting times.

What else besides advancements in technology can help us solve global problems with the climate and the environment? Earth has went from a massive iceball to a blazing hot oven in the past without any "help" from us humans. We simply weren't around then. How do you propose to avoid these extreme scenarios in the distant future?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Destroy capitalism now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gortarius posted:

What is this stuff I keep hearing about CO2 having a saturation point so actually it totally doesn't trap heat anymore?

It's a dumb technically correct but not right point. The air already absorbs as much light as it will ever absorb. Adding more Co2 won't absorb any more light.

But the problem is that the risk of global warming isn't a bunch of co2 getting superheated by absorbing all the sunlight, the risk is the greenhouse effect where a lot of Co2 prevents heat from radiating off and bounces it back down to earth from the upper atmosphere.