Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Went from $6 to $18 last few hours!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

everdave posted:

Went from $6 to $18 last few hours!!!!!!

Yep, thinking I'm going to list mine now. That one is in a bit nicer exterior shape, mines nicer interior-wise but I've got fender mirrors

everdave posted:

It actually says 20 days on mine but I've already used up like 4 days

EDIT: Majesta has cleared customs

My broker just solved all my problems with this for $355

Brokers are great, I'd never think about running the gauntlet without their guidance.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Yep, thinking I'm going to list mine now. That one is in a bit nicer exterior shape, mines nicer interior-wise but I've got fender mirrors

Brokers are great, I'd never think about running the gauntlet without their guidance.

Now that I’ve been cleared customs I am already looking at Surfs to put bids on

Like really at work today I checked this Surf auction and was going to post holy poo poo Kaker isn’t looking good and then BOOM

Just ordered an inspection on a 41k km one owner Surf. It’s a 90 and gas though

everdave fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 8, 2018

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Well its been a long lovely ride but the Sambar was sold tonight. Now to get the Atrai Van sold and be done with this .

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Holy poo poo $18K us for a crappy old surf???

If it wasnt for the chicken tax, i'd love to know what dual cab hilux diesels would go for...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Probably not the $350 I paid for my LHD 2wd 1988 regular cab with a 22R.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Ferremit posted:

If it wasnt for the chicken tax, i'd love to know what dual cab hilux diesels would go for...

Won’t dual cab not fall under the chicken tax because it’s a “passenger vehicle” what with 4 doors and seating for 4(5)?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Ferremit posted:

Yeah that seems seriously excessive. I guess there's an rear end for every seat out there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ferremit posted:

poo poo, even with the tax there's probably money to be made there if you can find the right buyer. Just less than anything without the tax.

Alternatively, bolt some seats in the bed temporarily and claim it's Toyota's answer to the Brat!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

beep-beep car is go posted:

Won’t dual cab not fall under the chicken tax because it’s a “passenger vehicle” what with 4 doors and seating for 4(5)?

It should. As long as it has 4 seats.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ferremit posted:

Dual cabs make it a for-passenger use.

I don't think a lot of people understand that, here in the US, things like this are the new muscle cars for value. Dunno how many old Toyotas have to sell for 15k before it becomes mainstream.

Gotta be diesel thought otherwise it's just a weird RHD one that we'd normally get. And has to have graphics. And very very clean

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

everdave posted:

It actually says 20 days on mine but I've already used up like 4 days

EDIT: Majesta has cleared customs

My broker just solved all my problems with this for $355

Good brokers are always worth it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KakerMix posted:

I don't think a lot of people understand that, here in the US, things like this are the new muscle cars for value. Dunno how many old Toyotas have to sell for 15k before it becomes mainstream.

I'm watching with interest, but I'm not sold on this line of logic. They are hard to come by in the US right now, with more arriving. I think the lust for 25 year old Toyotas will be sated fairly quickly. But I could be wrong.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm watching with interest, but I'm not sold on this line of logic. They are hard to come by in the US right now, with more arriving. I think the lust for 25 year old Toyotas will be sated fairly quickly. But I could be wrong.

It can always bust but it’s pretty insatiable right now. And now knowing how to do this gives me an advantage. My broker said he has a retired Air Force who does nothing but import Land Rover diesels from OZ.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seminal Flu posted:

No I mean broadly, old asian stuff, especially back-to-basics trucks. It isn't specifically just old Hilux and Hilux Surfs it's just that they are transitioning into hyper-cool territory together with the original Toyota trucks and 4Runners. There just isn't the amount out there to counter the appetite for them. The JDM turbo diesel stuff adds a flair of exotic to it but even a mint condition first gen 4Runner would easily go for over 10 grand if not more.
There are a ton of people in the United States and very few good condition old trucks, the numbers just don't work out for the market being satisfied by the tiny tiny trickle of them coming in.

You know how many have been at auction since I've got mine? Less than 10 maybe even 5, and they had something wrong with them regarding condition, and that was 3 months ago. Second and third gens are already in goofy price territory for really cherry ones. If the market cools on them in that they just aren't cool anymore, like 60s muscle cars are moving towards then yeah the prices and drop back down to normal levels. This whole thing is already hilarious, why not make it even more so?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The 25 year import limit gives you a solid underscoring of the "not making any more" investment factor, even if there's fuckloads of them in reality, supply of good ones is constrained. If you have thirty mint 92s and a thousand mint 98s, well, you're probably safe for a couple of years.

It also helps if you're talking about rust-prone stuff that gets beaten to poo poo in its normal working life.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KakerMix posted:

This whole thing is already hilarious, why not make it even more so?

I don't doubt you... you've put in the time and effort to know the market. It just seems a bit silly to me, but then again, there are a lot of things in this country that seem silly, but are absolutely in effect. :911:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

It also helps if you're talking about rust-prone stuff that gets beaten to poo poo in its normal working life.

See the Vanlife guy hawking LiteAces for $15 grand and HiAces for $20 grand.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I did see a little early 90's 2WD 22R hilux ute get traded in at a toyota dealership the other day with 980,000km on the clock. Got sold within an hr to a farm to use as a farm hack!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ferremit posted:

I did see a little early 90's 2WD 22R hilux ute get traded in at a toyota dealership the other day with 980,000km on the clock. Got sold within an hr to a farm to use as a farm hack!

That just ads the the ~mystique~. Like how 4 door Wranglers are the new minivan, they are sold on the idea of them being rugged go anywhere vehicle even if in practice they are uncomfortable, small, inefficient me-too mobiles used to cruise smooth pavement. Do the same with a proven million kilometer workhorse, $$$.

Speaking of $$$, the auction of my Surf is set to go up in two weeks, complete with my one hour and 15 minute walk around and drive youtube video. If someone is interested that video is the best thing outside of physically coming to the truck itself. :toot:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is it unusual for there to be no 93 or earlier Delicas on JCD? Their search makes me insane and I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

On the other hand, I did see this sweet lifted 95 with maybe something strange going on in the center console:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-bq3P7HwLKDYm2FC.htm

e-also, link that video!

ee- ok I see one under Delica Wagon

Snowy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 9, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

That just ads the the ~mystique~. Like how 4 door Wranglers are the new minivan, they are sold on the idea of them being rugged go anywhere vehicle even if in practice they are uncomfortable, small, inefficient me-too mobiles used to cruise smooth pavement.

And it fucks guys like me that just want to get one and throw the top and doors away and leave it like that because they are too loving valuable now, god forbid it gets rained on or dirty!

I'm still trying to find a STOCK Wrangler in decent condition for a reasonable price, it's been months now. A few have popped up but are instantly snagged up, it's all about timing but I can't watch CL all loving day either.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowy posted:

Is it unusual for there to be no 93 or earlier Delicas on JCD? Their search makes me insane and I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

On the other hand, I did see this sweet lifted 95 with maybe something strange going on in the center console:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-bq3P7HwLKDYm2FC.htm

e-also, link that video!

ee- ok I see one under Delica Wagon

Sometimes there just isn't any, and depending on how a vehicle was entered into the system it might not be a 'Delica', or might not be a 1993 or might not have the right transmission. Because of this I always sort by year and go through listing manually. The sorting only works as well as something that was entered correctly and things sometimes aren't. Like the very Surf I have.

Here is the video, it's v. internet of the things web 2.0 lol no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb5kunsWKJo

Applebees Appetizer posted:

And it fucks guys like me that just want to get one and throw the top and doors away and leave it like that because they are too loving valuable now, god forbid it gets rained on or dirty!

I'm still trying to find a STOCK Wrangler in decent condition for a reasonable price, it's been months now. A few have popped up but are instantly snagged up, it's all about timing but I can't watch CL all loving day either.

ahahaha stock ahahahahaha *dies*

I like older Wranglers a lot, a stock YJ Sahara has always looked the best imho. Weirdly enough though the 'Jeep Lifestyle' thing is a huge turn-off to me in the same way that Harley Culture kills it for a lot of people. The very fact that the things are sold on that really gets to me and pushes me away. Maybe I just want to have a need car I like and not have to deal with all that extra garbage marketing?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well the pros to that con is they have the best resale value of any vehicle ever, I was telling my wife once we finally get one it will be a rolling savings account. If we ever need to sell it for whatever reason we get back what we paid if not more because i will barely be putting any miles on it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KakerMix posted:

See the Vanlife guy hawking LiteAces for $15 grand and HiAces for $20 grand.

Ahahaha loving what?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thoughts on a 89 Surf but it is Auto. Killer interior no graphics? Diesel looks like. 63k km

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

You Am I posted:

Ahahaha loving what?

#wanderlust #techbro #lookatme

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
#instagramlife

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Verified that the Vulk's on the AZ-1 are real and also found out that the Desert Eagle ""titanium"" exhaust is actually truly titanium. Kinda cool but now it's a much bigger pain in the rear end to repair the broken hanger and damaged tube. Also I wonder why the car wasn't stripped for parts before it was sold, the wheels themselves are large percentage of the total cost I paid for the thing.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Getting that Surf inspected tomorrow. Every Skyline I sent in for translation today came back as holy poo poo this has been wrecked to hell no pass.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

everdave posted:

Thoughts on a 89 Surf but it is Auto. Killer interior no graphics? Diesel looks like. 63k km

Wait for something better.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

everdave posted:

Getting that Surf inspected tomorrow. Every Skyline I sent in for translation today came back as holy poo poo this has been wrecked to hell no pass.

Guarantee those will still get bought and re-sold like they've never been crashed...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Got an automated reply that the auctions are mainly going to be closed the next 10 days for a holiday.

Also got a shipping request and it probably is not going to make sense to go get the car myself. For a max $450 I can have it in my driveway. It will cost me $1-150 to fly there, $100 to get someone to take me into the port, and if I decided to stay the night that is going to be $100. Plus gas. So...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How reputable is the transporter?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I am assuming these are all coming RO/RO, does anyone know about shipping a car in a 20' container?

Mainly interested in shipping household goods back at the same time as a vehicle - for whatever dumb reason you're not allowed to have anything in a car if you're doing RO/RO. TBH it will probably be more hassle/expense than our stuff is worth, but I just wanted to do my due dilligence.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

Also got a shipping request and it probably is not going to make sense to go get the car myself. For a max $450 I can have it in my driveway.

That is extremely reasonable. Also your estimate can't account for unknowns like blowing an ancient tire in BFE somewhere.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

How reputable is the transporter?

It’s a shipping broker who will hire on my behalf but highly recommended by a goon. Has moved a lot of cars for people he knows without any issues.

Transport is booked. $390 from port to my driveway 8 hours away.

everdave fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 11, 2018

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Random thought:

I want to replace my stereo with a new one since Japanese stereos don't have the right NA radio frequencies and of course it would be nice to have bluetooth and stuff for spotify/whatever. However, I noticed that the stereo is subtly RHD oriented with the volume knob closer to the driver on the opposite side to that of a LHD stereo that I could buy at a store.

Does anyone know if there's a good online source for "RHD stereos" that would still work with NA radio frequencies?

It's totally not a big thing to lean over just a little bit more with a LHD stereo and I'll probably end up getting one of those, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone had gone down this path before.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have seen frequency expanders which are touted as allowing you to receive American FM radio frequencies on a Japanese head unit. They seem to have variable quality and end up knocking out some stations in the middle, but they are really cheap and easy to install.

It's also entirely possible that your Japanese head unit also has the ability to tune American FM radio frequencies and needs a jumper moved or something, though that won't fix your bluetooth problem unless you want to go crazy and retrofit bluetooth into it as well, and then you'll be like me where you have a half-broken radio from 1992 sitting on your workbench for five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Just do what EVERYONE in Australia has to do, lean 4" further to get to the volume knob.

EVERY single aftermarket head unit on the market in Australia has the volume controls oriented for Wrong hand drive cars.