Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

suck my woke dick posted:

i mean if he packs the court with 50 judges we can just pack it with 150 right back

within only a few electoral cycles every american will be serving on the supreme court, twice
If the court doubles once per term it will have 300 million members by 2118.

Seems reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
triples, not doubles

accordingly by 2118 the bulk of the court will consist of cardboard cutout judges, made in america and finally bringing back those manufacturing jobs

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

triples, not doubles

accordingly by 2118 the bulk of the court will consist of cardboard cutout judges, made in america and finally bringing back those manufacturing jobs
And life on Earth comes to an end as America cuts down the last tree to make a cardboard judge for its 7.6 trillion member Supreme Court.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KingFisher posted:

Thanks for pushing the Overton window on court packing. I'm sure nothing could go wrong if it looks like Trump might lose the election and he wants to "make his mark" before his term is up.

how would he pack the court when he doesn't have control of congress in a couple months?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

how would he pack the court when he doesn't have control of congress in a couple months?
I admire your optimism.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Australia's gun ban worked, here's a study analyzing the rate of decline of gun violence before and after the 1996 ban: https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/12/6/365.full

quote:

Results: In the 18 years before the gun law reforms, there were 13 mass shootings in Australia, and none in the 10.5 years afterwards. Declines in firearm-related deaths before the law reforms accelerated after the reforms for total firearm deaths (p = 0.04), firearm suicides (p = 0.007) and firearm homicides (p = 0.15), but not for the smallest category of unintentional firearm deaths, which increased. No evidence of substitution effect for suicides or homicides was observed. The rates per 100 000 of total firearm deaths, firearm homicides and firearm suicides all at least doubled their existing rates of decline after the revised gun laws.

Mass homicides as well as homicides overall fell rapidly in response to the ban.

A total ban and gun buybacks would work.

I see no reason why hunters can't hunt with muzzleloaders, If you have to fire twice you're doing it wrong.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dolphin posted:

I see no reason why hunters can't hunt with 18 inch battleship cannon, If you have to fire twice you're doing it wrong.

:colbert:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate to no true Scotsman American hunters but they literally do it themselves

https://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvania/studyGuide/Striving-for-a-Clean-Kill/201039_700092216/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
good use of guns this

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1027267527166971905

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's only one way to stop a bad kid with a gun

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

i went skiing in taos when I was like 6, that could've been me

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I feel like of all the things you can lay on the prevalence of guns in America, Islamic terrorism isn't one of them.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

No one should be forced to live in New Mexico.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dolphin posted:

Australia's gun ban worked, here's a study analyzing the rate of decline of gun violence before and after the 1996 ban: https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/12/6/365.full

Mass homicides as well as homicides overall fell rapidly in response to the ban.

A total ban and gun buybacks would work.

I see no reason why hunters can't hunt with muzzleloaders, If you have to fire twice you're doing it wrong.

On the other hand, Australia is in no way comparable to America. Australia had a fraction of the guns that America had at the time of the ban, a multiple factor times less of poverty, and gang prevalence.

If you look up something called the GINI index its a way to measure income inequality, it has America closer in that factor to Uganda and Haiti. There is a very strong correlation between income inequality and the homicide rate.

Now, South Africa seemed to have some success with their latest gun laws, but I am suspicious how unique of an example that is. Considering serious firearm crime such as car jackings, violent BNEs and kidnapping is still commonplace in that country. Most rich people live in literal compounds with dogs, CCTV, home security guards 24/7 and even flamethrowers...

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

zapplez posted:

On the other hand, Australia is in no way comparable to America. Australia had a fraction of the guns that America had at the time of the ban, a multiple factor times less of poverty, and gang prevalence.

If you look up something called the GINI index its a way to measure income inequality, it has America closer in that factor to Uganda and Haiti. There is a very strong correlation between income inequality and the homicide rate.

Now, South Africa seemed to have some success with their latest gun laws, but I am suspicious how unique of an example that is. Considering serious firearm crime such as car jackings, violent BNEs and kidnapping is still commonplace in that country. Most rich people live in literal compounds with dogs, CCTV, home security guards 24/7 and even flamethrowers...

Is there any gun control location that is remotely comparable to America or does it just so happen that America is uniquely unable to do gun control?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dolphin posted:

I hate to no true Scotsman American hunters but they literally do it themselves

https://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvania/studyGuide/Striving-for-a-Clean-Kill/201039_700092216/

The only thing standing between a hail of grapeshot and that deer is you

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Is there any gun control location that is remotely comparable to America or does it just so happen that America is uniquely unable to do gun control?

america is the special needs kid of countries, hth

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

america is the special needs kid of countries, hth

The southside of Chicago alone is more deadly than a bunch of developed countries. Then you have another 25 to 50 urban areas with similiar intense gun violence. America is a unique beast.

They could probably benefit from Canadian style gun control. While still retaining CCW.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

zapplez posted:

The southside of Chicago alone is more deadly than a bunch of developed countries. Then you have another 25 to 50 urban areas with similiar intense gun violence. America is a unique beast.

They could probably benefit from Canadian style gun control. While still retaining CCW.

Man, this country with poor gun control has areas that have a lot of gun violence? :monocle:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If you don't get rid of all guns in one go you've failed

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

zapplez posted:

On the other hand, Australia is in no way comparable to America.

Says the guy who compared Venezuela and Jamaica to the US on the last page...?

:confused:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I'm not buying this "America just has too much violence and the income disparity is too great" argument. To make that argument work you'd need to show that American violence is unique from Australian violence in some fashion that would make gun control ineffective. Whatever causative effect the gun ban had in Australia should have the same effect in the US unless there's some confounding variable that hasn't been mentioned. Are the causes of violence different in Australia? Do people murder people for different reasons? Do people not murder each other in the US for those reasons? If the answer is that they murder each other for the same reasons, but those reasons are more common in the US, then hypothetically the data would show that the gun ban would be more, not less, effective in the US.

I'd be open to hearing why we wouldn't see a decrease in gun violence by banning guns if there was actually some argument that included some kind of cause and effect; however, the majority of the time the people arguing against the data just argue that America is too different, which reeks of American exceptionalism.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sean10mm posted:

Says the guy who compared Venezuela and Jamaica to the US on the last page...?

:confused:

America is a lot more similar to a country like Jamaica then Australia. Look up GINI rates and figure out what the correlation is between that and violent crime and homicide.

America could try to ban all civilian guns tommorow and there would still be massive gun violence for years and years to come there.

That doesnt mean they shouldn't strive towards Canadian style gun control. But it will still be sm immensely violent country till more work on poverty is done

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 8, 2018

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zapplez posted:

America is a lot more similar to a country like Jamaica then Australia. Look up GINI rates and figure out what the correlation is between that and violent crime and homicide.

America could try to ban all civilian guns tommorow and there would still be massive gun violence for years and years to come there.

That doesnt mean they shouldn't strive towards Canadian style gun control. But it will still be sm immensely violent country till more work on poverty is done
Jamaica has 35 homicides/100k people vs the US with 4.9/100k. It has about as many people as Chicago. It has about double the homicide rate of Chicago. I don't think you're making a very good comparison.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Even if you had perfect gun control tommorow (which ain't possible for dozens of years) america would still be one of the most violent developed countries because it's one of the poorest and most unequal

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zapplez posted:

Even if you had perfect gun control tommorow (which ain't possible for dozens of years) america would still be one of the most violent developed countries because it's one of the poorest and most unequal
Even if that were true, given the proven efficacy of gun control laws to combat violent crime the net effect would be good. You're arguing based on a perfect solution fallacy. Gun control isn't a silver bullet that will fix all violent crime but if it can reduce it substantially then it's worthwhile.

Should America tackle poverty and income equality? Yes. Hypothetically if America brought its violent crime rate to parity with 1990s Australia, assuming your argument is valid, you'd have to concede that gun laws similar to Australia's would probably yield similar effects.

I don't think your argument is valid though, I think it's fairly nebulous and you're making unsupported assumptions. Namely that gun control only works if violent crime is already low. Can you give an example to show that your assumption is true?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Cockmaster posted:

Sure, if you don't care about such trivial things as "hitting targets more than a few feet away" or "not blowing your hand off". Otherwise, you'd need one of the 3D printers that can print in metal, which tend to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and involve equipment not easily miniaturized into a hobbyist-level machine.

Having printed with metal, the laser sintered metal is more for cosmetic testing for the most part, it's still not really strong enough for firearms or any form of durable use. That being said some resin based printers [formlabs, etc] have a few really durable resins out there, but again.... its a red herring at this level of technology.

That being said, you can 3d print a mold, and use it to make casts for molten metal pours, but that's a lot of effort for a homemade firearm.

I remember a few years ago when the ATF was roaming around the LA area busting "CNC Parties" where people were buying 80% lowers or blocks of aluminum and then going to a machine shop and hitting "start" on a program on a HASS/Tormach or whatever. ATF wasn't having any of that. If you own the machine and can program/operate it yourself then they don't have an issue, but not to rent one out to some goober who paid $100 to have the billet placed in a fixture and code loaded so he can just hit start. They basically came down like a ton of bricks for the shops for not having a FFL/license and charges for the rest of the folk.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

zapplez posted:

Except it would be less violent, because we know that gun control laws affect violence.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jaxyon posted:

Except it would be less violent, because we know that gun control laws affect violence.

There is a pretty great track record in gun laws working in rich countries. Poor countries its a bit more of a crapshoot. Sometime it works (South Africa went from 66 to 33 homicides per capita, but its not clear how much of that was unrelated trends of poverty). Then sometimes a country gets worse. Like Jamaica. Or Venezuela. Or Mexico. etc etc.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

zapplez posted:

There is a pretty great track record in gun laws working in rich countries. Poor countries its a bit more of a crapshoot. Sometime it works (South Africa went from 66 to 33 homicides per capita, but its not clear how much of that was unrelated trends of poverty). Then sometimes a country gets worse. Like Jamaica. Or Venezuela. Or Mexico. etc etc.

We can work on both poverty and gun laws. Especially since the US is literally the richest country in human history and it's the inequality that needs to be fixed, not the actual wealth.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Great. Lets do both. One is going to be way more effective than the other though.

I know someone else originally posted this in the other thread, but I think it bears repeating. Look at the numbers with an open perspective. I've taken the time to read other studies linked from people in this thread.

https://ssaa.org.au/assets/news-res...by_firearms.pdf

There isn't a clear link in countries between gun availability and the homicide rate. Some countries have tight controls and terrible crime, others vice versa.

The common links to a high homicide rate are poverty, income inequality, young men and drug use.

I'm hopeful America does adopt a similar system to Canada has for gun control. That might even lower their homicide rate by 10, 20 or even 30% But even when they do, America will remain one of the most dangerous developed country in the world, until massive reforms are done for the poor people of that country.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 9, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zapplez posted:

Great. Lets do both. One is going to be way more effective than the other though.

I know someone else originally posted this in the other thread, but I think it bears repeating. Look at the numbers with an open perspective. I've taken the time to read other studies linked from people in this thread.

https://ssaa.org.au/assets/news-res...by_firearms.pdf

There isn't a clear link in countries between gun availability and the homicide rate. Some countries have tight controls and terrible crime, others vice versa.

The common links to a high homicide rate are poverty, income inequality, young men and drug use.

I'm hopeful America does adopt a similar system to Canada has for gun control. That might even lower their homicide rate by 10, 20 or even 30% But even when they do, America will remain one of the most dangerous developed country in the world, until massive reforms are done for the poor people of that country.

quote:

The statistical design of the study has an ecological approach based on a number of countries (N=52), not including the USA
:thunk:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zapplez posted:

Is it really a crapshoot or do you think there are other factors? For instance, all the countries you've mentioned score very low on the rule of law index.
https://worldjusticeproject.org/sites/default/files/documents/WJP-ROLI-2018-June-Online-Edition_0.pdf

And they also score very low on the corruption perceptions index.

It stands to reason you're going to have a problem enforcing gun laws if you have inadequate law enforcement and police you can bribe to look the other way. Also coughborderenforcementcough

By nearly every metric the US is in a much better situation than every country you've cited as a comparison.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GRANTED, the US has a much higher prevalence of violent crime than other developed nations. It's hard to say why exactly but there are a lot of studies that go into the topic. What causes that higher violent crime? Well, if I can call your attention to the following study you'll see:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080625184952/http://rechten.uvt.nl/icvs/pdffiles/ICVS2004_05.pdf

That the US doesn't have a much higher prevalence of violent crime than other developed nations.

People just kill each other with guns a whole lot more.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dolphin posted:

GRANTED, the US has a much higher prevalence of violent crime than other developed nations. It's hard to say why exactly but there are a lot of studies that go into the topic. What causes that higher violent crime? Well, if I can call your attention to the following study you'll see:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080625184952/http://rechten.uvt.nl/icvs/pdffiles/ICVS2004_05.pdf

That the US doesn't have a much higher prevalence of violent crime than other developed nations.

People just kill each other with guns a whole lot more.

https://www.indy100.com/article/the-chart-that-shows-americas-shocking-murder-rate-compared-to-other-countries--bkAvfB5lwx

If you can tell me about a developed country that is worse than America in homicide rate I'd love to hear about it. I don't give a poo poo about comparing credit card fraud or people stealing from cars. Your study was not about violent crime , btw.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 9, 2018

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zapplez posted:

If you can tell me about a developed country that is worse than America in homicide rate I'd love to hear about it.
Why? It doesn't help your case. But Mexico, Turkey, and Estonia.

quote:

I don't give a poo poo about comparing credit card fraud or people stealing from cars.
You should.

quote:

Your study was not about violent crime , btw.
It's overall victimization by crime, violent crime is in there.

Your point is extremely bizarre. You're trying to argue that income inequality is the sole contributing factor to gun related homicides, which is totally false, and not supported by anything except you repeating it over and over again. There is a correlation there, but it's hard to exaggerate how dumb it is to find a correlation like that and assume that it's causing anything.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dolphin posted:

Your point is extremely bizarre. You're trying to argue that income inequality is the sole contributing factor to gun related homicides, which is totally false, and not supported by anything except you repeating it over and over again. There is a correlation there, but it's hard to exaggerate how dumb it is to find a correlation like that and assume that it's causing anything.

I didn't argue that. I said that until America fixes its poverty problem, it will still be one of the most homicidal developed countries, regardless of gun control.

Also read your own studies before linking them as proof of something. I still don't give a poo poo about telephone fraud or someone breaking into your car. I'm talking about homicides.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

So is the whole "3D Printer Guns are effectively unregulatable because Internet," thing going to allow us to push for making it a strait up felony to ever even possess one as the only possible measure of controlling their manufacture and sale, especially to criminal/terrorist organizations?

Because if so good, I don't really know how "real," that problem is in the larger gun debate, but that main dipshit who is pushing for them seems like the absolute scum of the earth and I want to see his dream burn and for him to inevitably rot in prison for not being able to stop himself from defying that law like the obvious neo-confederate he is.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sanguinia posted:

So is the whole "3D Printer Guns are effectively unregulatable because Internet," thing going to allow us to push for making it a strait up felony to ever even possess one as the only possible measure of controlling their manufacture and sale, especially to criminal/terrorist organizations?

Because if so good, I don't really know how "real," that problem is in the larger gun debate, but that main dipshit who is pushing for them seems like the absolute scum of the earth and I want to see his dream burn and for him to inevitably rot in prison for not being able to stop himself from defying that law like the obvious neo-confederate he is.

It's already illegal to make or own an untraceable gun in the US. But is it illegal to tell someone in detail how to make an untraceable gun? I think ultimately it will have to be settled by the SCOTUS since it seems that the US Govt is at odds with the federal courts on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The 3d printer gun case is sort of about ITAR as the US is surprisingly stringent on exports of guns/parts/things that could be used by militaries out of the country.