Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bradzilla posted:

Weapons of mass destruction contracted by the federal government to the lowest bidder :capitalism:

The most capitalism thing is Army leadership specifically telling Congress "no more tanks, seriously, we have more than we can ever possibly use" and Congress going "too bad! Have more tanks" because there's money to be made selling tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
safety precautions are for losers

Platystemon posted:

quote:

[CA] I work in a small business (cleanroom lab) which is extremely unsafe. What can I do? (self.legaladvice)

I want to put together a presentation for my coworkers explaining about basic lab and chemical safety, since there is no safety program at all or any person designated to care about safety. I want to know what is actually the law before I go and make an rear end out of myself, and what I am allowed to put in the presentation, and what I am allowed to do beyond that to address this problem.

Basically all I want to know is what CFRs, OSHA standards etc apply to a small biotech company of about 50 people which handles moderately dangerous experimental chemicals for a non-commercial purpose. I want to know what specifically they must do with regard to things like safety showers, eye washes, PPE training and chemical storage and disposal and what the legal consequences are if they don't. If you're interested in more detail keep reading.

We are a contract facility and make experimental drugs. Most of it has no established safety data because it's new.

None of my colleagues are chemists except for me and they don't know about basic things like not to put drug substances down the drain, not to store acids and bases together, not to mix bleach and ammonia and so on. I can't tell if my boss actually doesn't know that safety is the law or if he doesn't care or is only pretending. He seems to think that because we're a small startup and there are fewer than 10 people on our particular team, the laws about safety don't apply to us. There are way more than 10 at the company.

Some of the things wrong include:

People pour things down the drain. Concentrated acids and bases, drug substances, solvents other than water. We have a bin that says 'to be incinerated', but I've repeatedly asked what company does hazardous waste disposal for us to find out if it goes anywhere legitimate and haven't been told.

They put rags and gloves and bags that are contaminated heavily with up to 99.9% pure drug substances in the regular trash.

They wear lovely safety glasses that don't cover the sides of your eyes when handling fuming sulfuric acid, sporklenz (which says on the packet causes irreversible eye damage), CIP 100, quarternary ammonium. They wash the ceiling and look up at it while they do it.

There is no eyewash. I have been the most vocal about this for months and nothing is happening. There was one when I got there a year ago, but it was not hooked up to water utility and the water inside had not been changed since 2008. My boss said it's fine since they'd been putting disinfectant tablets in. The manufacturer says water needs to be changed weekly. Within the last month it finally got serviced and then they WALLED IT OFF with a thin plastic temporary wall to do construction. A manager has since instructed myself and 4 new employees that we juggernaut through that wall if we get something in our eyes. As soon as he was gone I told them gently caress that and to use the purified water hose we have in the lab.

There is no safety shower. There is a locking bathroom that has a sign saying 'emergency safety shower', but inside is a regular domestic shower. Between the point of use of chemicals and the shower, there are 4 doors one of which locks. It's our only bathroom and is in nearly constant use.

There is no audible fire alarm in the cleanroom. We have never done a drill.

The safety data sheets (SDS) are not provided to us. I've obtained them before by asking repeatedly. They are not stored hard copy or digitally. The only info about the drugs we are provided is their code names. I have been going out of my way to find out what they are on my own and going around and warning everyone verbally if they're dangerous.

Once I found out at the last minute that a drug substance was 99.8% pure botulinum toxin serotype H. I ran around telling everyone it was the most acutely fatal neurotoxin known to man and we had to be careful. I did math and found out we had enough on hand to kill thousands of people. I told them for gently caress's sake not to spill any and let it dry and turn to aerosolized powder. They were flippant so I made a safety sheet about it and distributed it. I got reprimanded for it because they perceived it as me forging a document from the client company. They were going to let us handle it with paper dusk masks and gloves outside the fume hood. I made such a fuss they gave us full-face respirators to handle it. Because of how big a scene I made over that, absolutely none of it went down the drain or into the air, I forced them to neutralize it properly and contain it and dispose of everything it touched properly, but to this day I am being mocked playfully by upper management about it as if I were being ridiculous.

The respirators had cartridges on them that had expired in 2014. No one was trained on how to use the respirators. No one knew how to do seal tests on the respirators. No one had been medically examined. People had beards and glasses that compromised the seal.
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/94tte3/ca_i_work_in_a_small_business_cleanroom_lab_which/

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

ate all the Oreos posted:

Also unlike the US and Russia, Britain's submarines have the full capability and authority to fire their nuclear missiles without any sort of transmitted code or order, they're just trusted not to because Britain is so incredibly good at training their military and life aboard the subs is definitely not a comical shitshow of mismanagement and underfunding

Each sub is meant to have sealed orders from the Prime Minster on what to do if they lose contact, telling them to join other NATO forces, operate independently or whatever.

Thatcher's was supposedly just "AVENGE US" :byodame:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

There's not a :stare: big enough. Holy poo poo.

For context I'm about to start a new job that includes possibly using some basic commercial pesticides and I have to read a big fat safety book, go through some training and know how to read the MSDS info at minimum. And I was told on at least three occasions, each time stressing very emphatically that aside from all the other safety bullshit we have to do if I ever have any issues with a client with regards to safety I'm to speak to my PM and they'll stop work and yell at them until things change.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

bradzilla posted:

Weapons of mass destruction contracted by the federal government to the lowest bidder :capitalism:

There's currently a local Denver podcast going over the history of Rocky Flats, one of the industrial production plants for the nuclear "pits" that went into the weapons.

You can find it here, look for the episodes titled "Unclear Danger" : http://changingdenver.libsyn.com/podcast

One of my family members worked there for like 25 years and by all accounts, it was a shitshow. A lot of the stories they told make it into the podcast. But it was also recognized as being the least shitshow of all the production plants in the country which uh, is saying something.

Now, since there's a massive housing/construction boom, houses are literally being built right up to the property line.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

The US does a mock nuclear war training exercise every year or two or something, where someone pretends to be the president (because if the actual president did it it would reveal how they would act) and even in the 100% simulated, completely consequence-free training exercise nobody has ever been able to bring themselves to order the counterattack :unsmith:
Is there a source for this, because it doesn't seem very credible that no one would be willing to act as ordered when they know there will be no actual harm to it.

Strudel Man has issued a correction as of 10:13 on Aug 8, 2018

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
https://twitter.com/publiclibnews/status/1026813279765766144

Some wonderful inspiration from a local library.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s not Comic Sans.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

That’s not Comic Sans.

Not only that but it's not even close.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That font is actually called “Not Comic Sans, Not Even A Little”

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Not to be confused with another font, “This Ain’t Comic Sans XXX”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Petition to have all the knock-off fonts re-named to things like "I can't believe it's not Times New Roman!", "Arial? It's not!", "Could this be Bodoni?", etc.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The Papyrus Is In Another Castle

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Helvetican’t

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
This is exactly what Capitalism wants, to ignore the terrifying messages in place of font warfare.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Also unlike the US and Russia, Britain's submarines have the full capability and authority to fire their nuclear missiles without any sort of transmitted code or order, they're just trusted not to because Britain is so incredibly good at training their military and life aboard the subs is definitely not a comical shitshow of mismanagement and underfunding

While government cuts have probably been less than kind to the UK’s submarine fleet, the only comical shitshow in that ‘report’ was the author himself. He was a hysterical, paranoid idiot who spent a couple of days on the job before running away screaming after finding out that, among other things, crew on Vanguard-class boats live in the missile rooms (which is where the actual official quarters are, because the missile tubes are gigantic metal columns that take up about a third of the boat), and that the gate guards didn’t check his pass so often once they recognised his face. He then went into hiding under the assumption that the government would assassinate him for sharing these great and terrible secrets with the world.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Armani Glasses posted:

This is exactly what Capitalism wants, to ignore the terrifying messages in place of font warfare.

Big Printing wants us to think of anything that looks handwritten as inferior.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Darth Walrus posted:

While government cuts have probably been less than kind to the UK’s submarine fleet, the only comical shitshow in that ‘report’ was the author himself. He was a hysterical, paranoid idiot who spent a couple of days on the job before running away screaming after finding out that, among other things, crew on Vanguard-class boats live in the missile rooms (which is where the actual official quarters are, because the missile tubes are gigantic metal columns that take up about a third of the boat), and that the gate guards didn’t check his pass so often once they recognised his face. He then went into hiding under the assumption that the government would assassinate him for sharing these great and terrible secrets with the world.

There was also that time they did a nuclear ICBM test targeted at Africa that actually flew at Florida. Then it was decided that the test was a success, with the argument that the success is that the test was carried out. Which is literally true, but not at all what people expect when you declare in official paperwork that the test was successful.

And that was in 2017. Right before a vote about continuing the Trident program. The submarine and crew all passed the certification based on this.

The particular person and report might be bogus, but poo poo is still really hosed up.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's not like competence matters

Once the first few nukes start flying, the world as we know it will end no matter where they end up

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Zzulu posted:

It's not like competence matters

Once the first few nukes start flying, the world as we know it will end no matter where they end up

For instance, if they all accidentally fly up and hit the North Pole, the Earth will be knocked out of its orbit and spiral down into the Sun.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
lol if the UK accidentally nukes America

I suppose if a full on nuclear war happens you can just fling them wherever you want, won't be many people who can trace trajectories to particular countries. Especially from subs.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pirate Radar posted:

For instance, if they all accidentally fly up and hit the North Pole, the Earth will be knocked out of its orbit and spiral down into the Sun.

:catstare:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I’m kidding, that’s the plot of a video game

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

It’s a Stephen Hawking quote. By ‘work’ I don’t think he necessarily meant some crappy 9-5 job, rather that you should never give up on your life’s work that you’re passionate about. Makes sense for a library.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

lol arbeit macht frei

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

SEX BURRITO posted:

It’s a Stephen Hawking quote. By ‘work’ I don’t think he necessarily meant some crappy 9-5 job, rather that you should never give up on your life’s work that you’re passionate about. Makes sense for a library.

Yeah and now he's dead

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Yeah and now he's dead

but not before leaving his wife for a nurse and estranging his kids

and then divorcing the nurse

maybe ignore his life advice about dedicating yourself to work

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol, the idea that you should find a purpose and structure in life isn't that controversial, dude

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

lol, the idea that you should find a purpose and structure in life isn't that controversial, dude

"I just wanna be me, I'm my own man." *is a 45 year old living in his mom's basement*

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

In a late capitalist world, where PhD graduates work as baristas and UK police are having to take on second jobs to make ends meet, it is spectacularly tone deaf.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

https://twitter.com/OxfordWorker/status/1027086465338105856

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Wish more cops would meet their ends tbph

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1026936173091082242

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Is there a source for this, because it doesn't seem very credible that no one would be willing to act as ordered when they know there will be no actual harm to it.

Yes, my post 2 posts down from that one

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I know that in hell year 2018 it's super hard to believe that anyone wouldn't just mash the "end world" button as hard as they could under any circumstance but apparently there was a time this was true

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The continued existence of QR codes at all outside of ticket-taking is a weird capitalism quirk. I think I maybe scanned one in my lifetime, to test out the QR code app that I downloaded. I've certainly never seen anyone else scanning them.

But some class of marketing person somewhere added "QR codes" to their toolkit a decade ago, and they're still peddling the same bullshits about them to upper management, who have no idea how the rabble lives so you can lie to them at will about how to market to the rabble.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

PostNouveau posted:

The continued existence of QR codes at all outside of ticket-taking is a weird capitalism quirk. I think I maybe scanned one in my lifetime, to test out the QR code app that I downloaded. I've certainly never seen anyone else scanning them.

But some class of marketing person somewhere added "QR codes" to their toolkit a decade ago, and they're still peddling the same bullshits about them to upper management, who have no idea how the rabble lives so you can lie to them at will about how to market to the rabble.

I lived in a poor country for a year the same year smart phones and qr codes exploded and I came back really confused about what their weird loving squares everywhere were

It was like traveling to the future

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

https://twitter.com/dacy_essex/status/1026992110615060480

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

There was also that time they did a nuclear ICBM test targeted at Africa that actually flew at Florida.

I assume they jokingly punched 'third world shithole' into the targeting computer and the experimental AI came to the logical conclusion.

Outrail has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Aug 8, 2018

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

I'm pretty sure I uninstalled my QR code scanner months ago. I mean, I could unlock my phone, open my QR app, awkwardly aim my phone at a sign until it focuses while looking like an idiot, and then wait for Chrome to start up and load the website. Or, I could unlock my phone, open Chrome, google whatever the ad is for, and click on one of probably the first three results, all without having to actually come to a stop most of the time, just slowing down. I never come across them otherwise, outside of tickets like you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

bradzilla posted:

ier friends, cronies, and companies they own a personal stake in.