Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a decent option for a waterproof tablet? I frequently used mine in the bathtub and would like one that wouldn't be ruined should I drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a decent option for a waterproof tablet? I frequently used mine in the bathtub and would like one that wouldn't be ruined should I drop it.

I'm still using the Pantech Element for that purpose. I got for $60 about 6 years ago.

https://www.theverge.com/2012/1/22/2726002/pantech-element-waterproof-lte-tablet-att-price-availability-burst

It got upgraded to Honeycomb from Gingerbread. It still works great for about 2.5 hours of Netflix on a charge. I wouldn't suggest it. Probably I'd suggest getting one of those cheap ~$50 Amazon tablets and finding a waterproof case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Space Fish posted:

MediaPad M5 owners, especially 10.8:
Is the "Bluetooth slows wifi to a crawl" an issue for you?

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know if I do.

I've never had a tablet that hasn't killed WiFi when using Bluetooth audio yet, so it's kinda fell out of use with me.

I'm still very happy with the M5 using it all weekend. I'm on track for ~8 hours screen on time and the thing continues to sip juice in standby. The way I use a tablet in the evening, it looks like I'll only need to change every three days or so which is very nice.

The size is just right to be the constant couch companion and it has enough longevity and performance to make it painless to use.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 6, 2018

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Stick100 posted:

Probably I'd suggest getting one of those cheap ~$50 Amazon tablets and finding a waterproof case.

That's what I'm currently using, sans the waterproof case, but I was hoping there was a more powerful option out there. I briefly looked at the Mediapad M5 for example, but of course the waterproof options in the tablet market are basically non-existent and it too had no proofing of any kind.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

That's what I'm currently using, sans the waterproof case, but I was hoping there was a more powerful option out there. I briefly looked at the Mediapad M5 for example, but of course, the waterproof options in the tablet market are basically non-existent and it too had no proofing of any kind.

That the Android tablet market is basically non-existent is the root of the problem. I haven't heard of any waterproof tablets since the pantech/sony tablets came out 6 years ago.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think Microsoft just put the final nail in the coffin for me having a use for my Tab S3 by linking their movies library to Movies Anywhere.

Now I have easy offline access to my movies in HD with my Surface Pro. I have no real reason to travel with anything else now.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

bull3964 posted:

I've never had a tablet that hasn't killed WiFi when using Bluetooth audio yet, so it's kinda fell out of use with me.
Wait this is a thing? Never noticed it on the Pixel C.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My Nexus 7, 9, and 10 all did it. By that point I had pretty much given up so I don't know that I really tired with my Pixel C much.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I know this is the tab thread but anything on tablet parts? Im trying to get a screen replacement for a Fire 10 7th gen and I cant find poo poo in the country

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My daughter constantly uses our Nexus 7 with BT headphones and wifi when on road trips.

Never an issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

My daughter constantly uses our Nexus 7 with BT headphones and wifi when on road trips.

Never an issue.

I could never get it to work. As soon as I would connect a Bluetooth speaker, the WiFi symbol would drop down to a sliver and video would start buffering. I think I speed tested it down to 300kbps with Bluetooth connected. All of my Nexus tablets behaved this way.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

I could never get it to work. As soon as I would connect a Bluetooth speaker, the WiFi symbol would drop down to a sliver and video would start buffering. I think I speed tested it down to 300kbps with Bluetooth connected. All of my Nexus tablets behaved this way.

It's probably something on your side because you can add me to the list of people who were streaming google play on a BT speaker via my n7 without any issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm hardly alone with this.

https://support.google.com/nexus/forum/AAAANseOu18xc00m6UDOKI/?hl=en

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I bought a refurb nexus 7 2013 a few years back and when bluetooth caused wifi to drop out I sent it in for service inside my 90 day warranty window. It's been fine since I got it back aside from having to replace the battery due to bloating after a while.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Android Police says to Just Say No to Galaxy Tab S4:

I'll cut to the chase: for all but the Samsung diehards, this tablet simply isn't worth the money, and for anyone hoping that DeX and a $150 keyboard dock bridge the tablet and laptop divide better than a Chromebook, you'll be sorely disappointed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup, it's just too much drat money and you are better off with a mid-level Chromebook instead if you want Google centric productivity. It's also hard to argue for that tablet now that the Surface Go exists too.

The price is just staggering for last year's smartphone specs and no included keyboard.

Samsung should just discontinue the Tab S line and bump the specs up slightly on the Tab A line and call it a day. Or stop altogether. It's hard to imagine just who they are building these things for.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"16:10 displays are all well and good for watching movies and using a portrait mode tablet, I suppose, but they waste a tremendous amount of space in "productivity" applications. 4:3 or bust"

If 16:10 is great for entertainment (movies and comics) and can contain 4:3, then how is it inferior to the screen size that isn't good for entertainment? Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

bull3964 posted:

Samsung should just discontinue the Tab S line and bump the specs up slightly on the Tab A line and call it a day. Or stop altogether. It's hard to imagine just who they are building these things for.

They build them for AT&T and T-Mobile to give away when you buy a Galaxy S_

At least, that's my guess. I find it hard to believe that anyone is buying them retail.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Costco always has a large display of them.

They're either getting money from Samsung to display them or they're settling them to customers.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It's also hard to argue for that tablet now that the Surface Go exists too.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to pass on this:

It's hard to argue for any of this garbage when there's an iPad but come on, the Surface S is some EeeBook-level trash.

Right now if you want something that isn't an iPad (because you hate yourself) and you want some tablet/convertible monstrosity for some indiscernible reason you're just going to have to face the fact that they're all bad (because it's a bad idea to begin with).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You kinda cherry picked one thing that the low level processor can't really handle well. Praise for the device has been almost universal and getting Surface levels of build quality at that price-point is almost unheard-of.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The pixelbook is the best android tablet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

That I can agree with.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

You kinda cherry picked one thing that the low level processor can't really handle well. Praise for the device has been almost universal and getting Surface levels of build quality at that price-point is almost unheard-of.

From The Verge (which is pretty much a Microsoft advertising venue) video review:

* Nobody has actually used the $400 one (i.e., the one most consumers would actually buy) because Microsoft didn't send those out for review but it's probably total garbage and you shouldn't buy it
* Vaguely mentions "a few compromises" but says "so long as you adjust your expectations" this works "just fine" and simple apps are "relatively responsive"
* Cuphead, a 2D platformer, crashes on launch
* The main reason it's better than an iPad is you can do real computer work on it but screen is too small for any sort of real computer work
* Addressed a viewer question about if you could do CAD work, on a 4.5 watt windows tablet. his answer was, yes, you can! except it will be horrible trying to do this real computer work, and you should never actually attempt it.
* He got 6 hours of battery life which he considered "pretty solid"
* S mode, the default OS experience you get when you purchase this device, is useless and must be turned off to use it effectively
* The reviewer could not even get 1Password to work in S mode, at all
* Overall review impressions: "surprisingly good"

Sounds like a real winner.

butt dickus posted:

This is true but it's heavy and large. There have been rumors of a removable screened Pixelbook coming soon which would be far better for tablet use while still giving you a way to work around Chrome OS's current tablet deficiencies (which are improving but still aren't gone yet).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

From The Verge (which is pretty much a Microsoft advertising venue) video review:

* Nobody has actually used the $400 one (i.e., the one most consumers would actually buy) because Microsoft didn't send those out for review but it's probably total garbage and you shouldn't buy it
* Vaguely mentions "a few compromises" but says "so long as you adjust your expectations" this works "just fine" and simple apps are "relatively responsive"
* Cuphead, a 2D platformer, crashes on launch
* The main reason it's better than an iPad is you can do real computer work on it but screen is too small for any sort of real computer work
* Addressed a viewer question about if you could do CAD work, on a 4.5 watt windows tablet. his answer was, yes, you can! except it will be horrible trying to do this real computer work, and you should never actually attempt it.
* He got 6 hours of battery life which he considered "pretty solid"
* S mode, the default OS experience you get when you purchase this device, is useless and must be turned off to use it effectively
* The reviewer could not even get 1Password to work in S mode, at all
* Overall review impressions: "surprisingly good"

Like, the Surface Go isn't something I'd buy, but this is one of the least coherent anti-MS things you've posted. I'm not even going to bother explaining why because I will become dumber by doing so, but in the future you should just refrain from posting about MS related things because you're obviously incapable of being objective about them.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not even going to bother explaining why because I will become dumber by doing so.
This is weak as hell. He pulled those directly from the review.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/7/17657174/microsoft-surface-go-review-tablet-windows-10

Sure it's "good" for a one pound Windows machine with a "might as well be required" keyboard accessory but that's a pretty big qualifier.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

butt dickus posted:

This is weak as hell. He pulled those directly from the review.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/7/17657174/microsoft-surface-go-review-tablet-windows-10

Sure it's "good" for a one pound Windows machine with a "might as well be required" keyboard accessory but that's a pretty big qualifier.

I didn't say he was saying untrue things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ii wasn't even posting it as proof it's garbage (it is), but rather to refute the obviously false claim that it makes a better tablet at the price point of the Tab S. No one is going to claim the Tab S is where you should spend your money as Android on a laptop is bad, but it does actually work which is a claim the Surface can't make.

This is the Android tablet thread after all and if we're going to start pointing at alternative ecosystems (and given the state of Android tablets, we should) you'd have to be insane to recommend that piece of poo poo over an iPad. Even Consumer Reports, as unbiased a source as you're likely to find, says not to buy Surfaces because they fail at a higher rate than any other Windows laptop. Why point people toward it in the Android tablet thread?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Our IT department went let anyone get Surfaces because of their failure rate. My girlfriend's company uses them and are apparently considering the same.

Google has given up on Android tablets so the only things left are half-assed garbage churned out by Samsung and Chinese OEMs. If you want something with good support, good performance and a UI that's designed for the screen size, either suck it up and buy an iPad or spend even more on a chromeos device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

either suck it up and buy an iPad or spend even more on a chromeos device.

Thread title, right here.

For what it's worth, I might poo poo on MS products because they're garbo but let me assure you that my Chomebook Tab 10 is also trash. The difference, I think, is that I knew that going in and I'd never recommend it unless I was sure the person asking was well aware of everything bad about it. It fulfills my expectations but that's not equivalent to being acceptable.

I don't doubt that people love their Surfaces, but let's be real, we're all Android people and we know Stockholm Syndrome well. We put up with a shitload of half-assed design and execution and it necessarily creeps into our view of how well technology is supposed to work. The kinds of compromises one must make in order to use these devices should not be taken lightly or as "just part of the game" because, in the tablet space especially, there is a good option, you just have to be willing to set aside anti-Apple bias to use it.

I'm just saying we shouldn't be complacent about the incredibly poor state of affairs in the Android tablet space simply because it's the way it is. It's bad and we should acknowledge that keeping in mind the knowledge that even if that's the case that some people just want to remain in this ecosystem and for them we should present the options warts and all.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 10, 2018

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Or get a Huawei Mediapad which are cheap and call it. I'm still rocking my N7 2013 and I rather get a 6" screen phone and replace it with that than getting a trash Tablet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've run across my first bad thing with the Mediapad M5.

Hulu runs like poo poo. It drops frames like mad and eventually the video just stops updating at all. This is pretty much the only video app that I've had an issue with across Netflix, Vudu, Movies Anywhere, Amazon, and all sorts of cable provider streaming apps. The play store actually has a notation on it that the app may not be optimized for my device. It's such an odd thing though.

Good thing though? They pushed the July security patch for Android yesterday. My 'flagship' Tab S3 is still rocking April's patch.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Been rocking a new Huawei MediaPad 10.8 (not Pro) all day as soon as it arrived. My activities on it consist mostly of social media, writing in Google Docs, reading (prose and comics across several apps), and some YouTube/Netflix. Compared to my Samsung Galaxy Tab S from 2014, this tablet is the new hotness. Apps actually respond the instant I touch them! Audio has impact again! Screenshots don't need to be 'thought about' each time I take one. Battery life is great, as is charging (hey there, USB-C). The display's beautiful. The keyboard case sticks out above the power/volume buttons just enough that doing stuff in portrait mode is not so prone to accidental button presses as reviews would suggest. I miss Samsung's physical navigation buttons, but the virtual ones work fine. The May security update was already installed in box. I look forward to seeing what else this machine can do, but my day-one test drive says buying new tech years apart is hugely satisfying. And it didn't cost $650!

Just thought I'd drop a happy review from a human being who was not paid by Huawei, wasn't chasing a deadline, and is not an unboxer looking for click revenue.

Edit: Using thumbprint to unlock is smooth, too.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 11, 2018

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm very much leaning towards getting one of those MedaiPads come September. I'm thinking of upgrading from the 7" of my N7 (13) to the 10" (non-pro). The main thing I'd use it for is games.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I grabbed my wife one of the Costco model surface gos and it's been great so far, beautiful little machine. Fast for all our uses and the key cover and kickstand are awesome. Got a USB c to HDMI cable to use it for media at the cabin/traveling. When my original Tab S finally kicks the bucket I'll probably grab one for myself.

It runs all the 2D steam games I've tried so far, didn't think cuphead would run on any integrated graphics chip but now I'm curious to try...

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
There's no way that thing is "fast for all uses".

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Lambert posted:

There's no way that thing is "fast for all uses".

Good thing that's not what I said, boss.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is there an android tablet with an e-ink screen that I can just use for Play Books?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
The e-ink Barnes and Noble Nooks were at one point running Android and pretty trivially rootable but that was a couple years ago now I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

large hands posted:

I grabbed my wife one of the Costco model surface gos and it's been great so far, beautiful little machine. Fast for all our uses and the key cover and kickstand are awesome. Got a USB c to HDMI cable to use it for media at the cabin/traveling. When my original Tab S finally kicks the bucket I'll probably grab one for myself.

It runs all the 2D steam games I've tried so far, didn't think cuphead would run on any integrated graphics chip but now I'm curious to try...

Same trip report here. I used Edge and only played a couple games on an emulator and my girlfriend and I are happy with it. However we ended up selling it to my friend because we already had iPads and didn't need ANOTHER tablet.

I thought that processor was gonna be hosed but I guess not. Weird.