Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's kind of a slow start but before long you'll have an insane fire hose of gold. The absolute first thing you should do is make sure you have your capital's trading post. Then get the capital's cities. You can hold both cities and castles but you want more cities. The gold income is loving bonkers. Holding the castle in your capital is still handy for that levy boost.

yeah before you unpause the game a typical checklist is

-take out the biggest loan you can
-build as many trade posts as you can, making sure you grab your capital immediately. you must always have the trade post in your capital. spend a few minutes also looking at your trade post limit and where you can place trade posts to ensure you control the adjacent sea zone, or any tasty counties you might want to steal
-unpause, do your thing. see if you can murder any barons to inherit their castles, also start pruning your rival families. it is handy to have infidel families, they can be used to gank extra cities to fuel your blobbing
-before you repay the loan, save up enough money to expand your palace. republics have a special off map holding representing your family palace. the top building you can build increases your trade post limit. more trade posts = more money
-also build the buildings in the capital trade post itself, particularly the trade post town or city or whatever
-then and only then, repay your loan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Azhais posted:

I've got another newbie confusion question. My France start is going OK so far (my next succession is gonna be horrible, my only son ended up with 6 diplo so everyone's gonna hate him)

One thing I know is going to happen sooner or later is a major war with the Umayyads. I've been keeping an eye on troop counts just so I know how bad it'll be, and I noticed something weird:

How does he have 2k/1k personal levies, and 23k/14k vassal levies? Is the over cap troop levies a Sunni thing?

His predecessor probably raised those levies before he succeeded, or perhaps he did something to tank his vassals' opinions of him while the levies were raised. Once levies are raised, they're yours unless they die or the lord of those levies stops being your vassal somehow.

EDIT: although it doesn't look like he's at war, so he doesn't have any reason to be raising levies at all.... :iiam:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Re merchant republics: if you have way of life, don’t forget to spy on city mayors so you can revoke the cities you don’t hold in your capital!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ninjahedgehog posted:

His predecessor probably raised those levies before he succeeded, or perhaps he did something to tank his vassals' opinions of him while the levies were raised. Once levies are raised, they're yours unless they die or the lord of those levies stops being your vassal somehow.

EDIT: although it doesn't look like he's at war, so he doesn't have any reason to be raising levies at all.... :iiam:

Yeah, he had some rebellions a year ago, the last thing I actually saw him raise troops for was to chase down some viking raider. Maybe he's kept them raised and is still chasing that raider and that's why he's at -700 gold.

e: I'll have to keep an eye on that, if he actually drops to 13k at some point I should go roll over him (and generate so much threat in the process the Pope would defend him next time, which is just silly)

On that last topic the threat system is just silly. As it is right now if I even sneeze in the general direction of Saxony I get 75% threat and the Pope forms a defensive pact then excommunicates me.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 7, 2018

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Or some cult popping up (or joining a cult) that can go through some special actions and bring about the awakening or return of some elder god that can bring the game to an early end?

Just suggestions. I like to read about Lovecraft a lot, but I've never had much interest in the original stories.

Yeah, something like this is definitely going in. Multiple ways, in fact! And while it’ll definitely have a Lovecraftian feel, it won’t necessarily refer to the Cthulhu mythos directly, more like a general feel.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just noticed I don't have Jade Dragon. If I add that will it break my france game? (and if I just enable/disable it based on the save I'm playing will that work fine?)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Herbert West - Reanimator would prolly make pretty simple event fodder.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Azhais posted:

I just noticed I don't have Jade Dragon. If I add that will it break my france game? (and if I just enable/disable it based on the save I'm playing will that work fine?)

So long as you started this game on a patch where jade dragon was already public buying the DLC shouldn't corrupt your save

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Can I send my own troops to help raiders I recruited to attack people I’m not actually at war with?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Can I send my own troops to help raiders I recruited to attack people I’m not actually at war with?

Yeah, but you gotta click the raiding button on the unit's UI when the unit's in friendly territory. Some event troops aren't allowed to raid and the button will be greyed out.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, something like this is definitely going in. Multiple ways, in fact! And while it’ll definitely have a Lovecraftian feel, it won’t necessarily refer to the Cthulhu mythos directly, more like a general feel.

An "Innsmouth Look" trait that can bred into your line would be an interesting set of Events.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Coward posted:

An "Innsmouth Look" trait that can bred into your line would be an interesting set of Events.

Dunwich Horror chain of events

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Groogy add this to your game please
https://twitter.com/archaeologymag/status/1026135743431827458/photo/1

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Coward posted:

Oh heck yeah, absolutely! It'd be pretty easy to do too. You could be the spooky Innsmouth clan.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I put glitterhoof in charge of educating a couple of my kids in the hope she would turn them into horse culture but it didn't work dammit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrSunshine posted:

Whenever I get Glitterhoof with a religion that can get concubines, I always make sure to make her my concubine. :allears:

Amateur hour. As previously mentioned in this thread, I managed to achieve this with a sane ruler.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Sorry If this gets asked thousands of times, but below is the DLC I don't have for CKII:

Rajas of India

Charlemagne

Sons of Abraham

The Republic

Conclave

Reaper's Due

Jade Dragon

Monks and Mystics

Are there any of those that I should absolutely get, or is it just all fluff?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Olewithmilk posted:

Sorry If this gets asked thousands of times, but below is the DLC I don't have for CKII:

Conclave

Reaper's Due

Monks and Mystics

Get these at least

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Olewithmilk posted:

Get Reaper's Due and Monks and Mystics first, the others are more region specific; maybe Conclave, but that mostly adds more hassle with keeping vassals in line, so I'm not sure you want it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Playing merchant republics is radically different from playing feudal or nomad realms, buy The Republic if you seek new experiences. If you don't care for that, you don't need it at all.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Sweet, thank you for making my decisions for me.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Amateur hour. As previously mentioned in this thread, I managed to achieve this with a sane ruler.

Waiting to get a lunatic ruler and have random events fire is boring. If you search for Glitterhoofs you can find all of them active in the world at that point, and usually you can find one who has a weak claim or something that will make them inclined to join your court if asked.

I like to collect them, take their horse armor when they die and then give it to a very confused Chinese emperor.

I think I saw another character who seemed to have then gotten that armor as a present from China but I’m not sure.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

It sometimes feels like the game rolls a secret malus each campaign, and applies it to your dynasty. i.e. The chances of girls are much, much higher. Or your health scores are much lower.

It's probably not actually happening, but I just ran a Tibet campaign where for 3 centuries I had, at most, 2 boys per generation, and 7+ girls each generation. In the end I was just matrilineally marrying the girls off, and bee-lined for full status of women, which was achieved some time in the 11th century. So, kudos to Tibet I guess, for forcing a better society just to deal with the ruling families genetic issues.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Olewithmilk posted:

Conclave and Reaper's Due. rear end in a top hat Vassals is the name of this game, and a better disease system is good. If you wanted to wait for a sale in general, that's not a bad idea either. They are common enough.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Olewithmilk posted:

Technically, none of that is fluff. CK2's really fluffy DLCs are the unit packs, profile packs, and I think there's even music DLCs. Which are just a bunch of simple aesthetic additions.

These:

quote:

Rajas of India

The Republic

Jade Dragon

Are basically DLCs for playing Indian nations, Republics, or interacting with China respectively. Unless you plan on playing in those areas, you basically won't know the difference. Jade Dragon has some features with Casus Belis and some features for managing armies, but I don't know how much they're useful.

Sons of Abraham is similar to those, and is the DLC to get if you want to play Jewish characters, but it also adds a bunch of features for catholicism, like the college of cardinals, who you're probably already playing. If you're not playing catholics, there's still holy orders for every religion.

Charlemagne is for starting in 769, which can be a bit of a mixed blessing, but you can play as the titular Charlemagne, his brother Carloman, or off in Afghanistan there's the last adherents to the Zun religion. There's also custom kingdoms and viceroyalties as a feature in that DLC.

Monks and Mystics allows you to play these little societies, which is something to do during peacetime, and adds some extra treasures for the mostly pointless treasure system. More importantly, there's secret religions that can be spread, and if you're into it, there's satan who can grant you power at a horrible cost (no it isn't a fully comprehensive magic system). Also all your councilors get a fourth action, which can come in handy.

Reaper's Due adds dynamic disease spreading and injuries, as well as letting you hire a doctor to help you survive them better. It also lets characters go into seclusion, which can be annoying when you want them to be your councilors or commanders. It provides a fuller experience, but you could probably go without.

Conclave basically changes the entire game and puts in a depth of experience that you'd only want to skip if you're only in the game for challenge-free map painting. Basically now your vassals can get angry at you for not putting them on your council and your councilors can be grumpy and withhold support for any of your actions.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I never got Monks and Mystics or Conclave because the Steam reviews for both were awful and full of people saying they had features that broke the game. Granted, both of these were at the time of release. I assume those issues have been fixed and/or were never there to begin with and it was just steam reviewers being awful?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Man, anybody else getting a bunch of chaplains going heretic? I have had 4 convert in my past 3 rulers, annoying since my previous 2 chaplains were over 20 in learning and were my physicians while my ruler had the pox

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sydin posted:

I never got Monks and Mystics or Conclave because the Steam reviews for both were awful and full of people saying they had features that broke the game. Granted, both of these were at the time of release. I assume those issues have been fixed and/or were never there to begin with and it was just steam reviewers being awful?

I think this disclaimer about Conclave should be in the OP:

If you read the Conclave reviews, people are mainly complaining about shattered retreats and defensive pacts, features introduced in the free patch that accompanied Conclave's release! Conclave is a great DLC, making vassal management more interactive (and difficult). It's a big improvement to the game, nearly as good as Way of Life was. Don't skip it!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I would add to that disclaimer the fact that the features everyone whined about at the time are now optional game rules you can toggle, anyway.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

the steam reviewers are idiots. conclave is practically essential. monks and mystics is very good

aside from the above points about shattered retreat (can't just completely chase down and obliterate enemy stacks, making wars longer) and defensive pacts (the more you blob, the more neighboring powers team up against you) the changes to council mechanics adds a lot more challenge to the game. not difficulty, just obstacles

all three of these changes greatly inhibit your ability to paint the map. which, after six odd years, should be getting to be a boring end goal for the game. personally i have more fun trying to work the vassal mechanics and having my perfect strong powerful ruler get tripped up by some upstart duke than setting up my Nth vassal kingdom as i march across the landscape slaying all in my wake like some kind of silly power fantasy

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Willfrey posted:

Man, anybody else getting a bunch of chaplains going heretic? I have had 4 convert in my past 3 rulers, annoying since my previous 2 chaplains were over 20 in learning and were my physicians while my ruler had the pox
That might happen if you are researching cultural tech.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cool, I'll give them a whirl the next time they're on sale then.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sydin posted:

Conclave is one of the best DLCs in the game and people are underselling it here. Vassals are always trouble-makers; the difference is that in vanilla CK2 this is just expressed through occasional spontaneous revolts, while Conclave gives you actual choices in how to manage your vassals. "Do I want a council full of incompetent yes-men, powerful nobles who would be mad if they weren't recognized, or people who are actually good at their job?" for instance, which has no single correct answer.

It might make management of extremely large realms harder but it also makes playing small realms far more interesting, which as a trade-off is more than fair.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Dwesa posted:

That might happen if you are researching cultural tech.

Aaah yeah that is it. Guess I will just have them suck up to the pope

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Two quick republic questions:
1) I did a 769 start date and am currently capped at only one trade post despite having two male unlanded heirs. I assume this is due to only having one level of Trade Practices? How high of a priority is is to steal tech from Constantinople to get those sweet economic research points vs spying on my home province to try and get an excuse to revoke the city titles I don't own?
2) When I do get more trade posts, I've been told more in the same zone is better. By the same "zone" that means a segment of ocean, right? So if I'm Venice, I want to own as many trade posts in that little inlet as possible vs expanding down the coast?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Sydin posted:

republic 769 start date

Don't

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

It's a much slower start, but it's not that bad. By the time 867 rolls around you'll be far more powerful than you would be in the 867 start, and same with 1066. By 1066 you'll have a maxed out mansion, 30-50 trade posts, family situated in a couple of different duchies to keep generating male courtiers, etc.

The political situation is very different of course, but it's not a horrible thing.

Sydin posted:

Two quick republic questions:
1) I did a 769 start date and am currently capped at only one trade post despite having two male unlanded heirs. I assume this is due to only having one level of Trade Practices? How high of a priority is is to steal tech from Constantinople to get those sweet economic research points vs spying on my home province to try and get an excuse to revoke the city titles I don't own?
2) When I do get more trade posts, I've been told more in the same zone is better. By the same "zone" that means a segment of ocean, right? So if I'm Venice, I want to own as many trade posts in that little inlet as possible vs expanding down the coast?

Keep your spymaster parked in Constantinople until you are the tech leader. It shouldn't take more than about 100 years. You probably want to keep your Chancellor there to make them like you, since you'll be losing a fair number of spymasters over the years.

And yes, basically. Trade zones are weird as hell, and sometimes will cross over landmasses to the ocean on the other side. In general though, just assume that they need to be touching.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, make sure you own the trade post in Venice itself. If some other family owns it, make sure to eliminate their bloodline so you have a chance to inherit. If some other family does, rinse and repeat.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I could never understand the freak-out over shattered retreat when they put that in. It makes the game so much more interesting when armies can slip away into the mountains, reform and come back again. It's saved my rear end multiple times when I was being invaded.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

well you see anything that makes curbstomping the ai even a little bit harder is automatically a poo poo feature to the troglodytes who inhabit steam reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It makes decisive victories in wartime a gigantic pain in the rear end. Before it was a balance problem, afterwards it was a tedium problem.

The balance problem did need to be solved but acting like that's all there is to it is disingenuous.

• Locked thread