Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Sweet. Gonna stick it out then. Thanks.

Also, where the hell do you get bags? My pack is so full of random poo poo.

Should be able to buy them in town from leatherworker NPCs or provisioners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Are there fun videos of goon shenanigans in this thing or are you guys still at the early stages of establishing your presence in the game (as tear-harvesters). Or are you making nice with the locals.

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks
In with Snowflake and Bunny

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

El Grillo posted:

Are there fun videos of goon shenanigans in this thing or are you guys still at the early stages of establishing your presence in the game (as tear-harvesters). Or are you making nice with the locals.

Currently we've evaded one ban, pubbie Blixxer has made us his sworn enemy, one other pubbie believes Goon Squad is one person constantly mulit-boxing, and the rest of the population seem to genuinely believe we charge money to join and that we're the worst guild ever to exist

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Also we are 'fake' goons because we're not from Eve Online :rolleyes:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angelwolf posted:

Also we are 'fake' goons because we're not from Eve Online :rolleyes:

hey I played eve online with goons off and on since like 2005 so we're real now!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
We're young and we suck, but that doesn't stop us from strutting in World Chat like we run the loving place.

But it doesn't really matter because UO is such an open world that you have endless ways to gently caress with people. The largest and most established players in the world are the ones who have been rolling since pre-alpha and are sitting pretty with immaculately dressed vendors filled with overpriced goods because they don't have any competition. I honestly think our rapidly improving crafters will be the primary engines of grief when we start undercutting those motherfuckers.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

We're young and we suck, but that doesn't stop us from strutting in World Chat like we run the loving place.

But it doesn't really matter because UO is such an open world that you have endless ways to gently caress with people. The largest and most established players in the world are the ones who have been rolling since pre-alpha and are sitting pretty with immaculately dressed vendors filled with overpriced goods because they don't have any competition. I honestly think our rapidly improving crafters will be the primary engines of grief when we start undercutting those motherfuckers.

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The new town is looking pretty swank.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Angelwolf posted:

Currently we've evaded one ban, pubbie Blixxer has made us his sworn enemy, one other pubbie believes Goon Squad is one person constantly mulit-boxing, and the rest of the population seem to genuinely believe we charge money to join and that we're the worst guild ever to exist

Charge money for pubbies to join -- its the true UO goon way.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
They definitely broke something. Spent about 20 minutes fighting rats and harpies, and nothing but Anatomy was skilling up at all, no combat skills. Even bandaging only leveled Anatomy, not healing.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
That's weird, I get healing gains just fine, especially when healing other people.

Might be worth you spending some time healing a couple of dueling goons

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Looks to have been fixed. Logged back in and skills are all back to rocketing up.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Angelwolf posted:

one other pubbie believes Goon Squad is one person constantly mulit-boxing, and the rest of the population seem to genuinely believe we charge money to join and that we're the worst guild ever to exist

For those wondering this is all true

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

App13 posted:

For those wondering this is all true

I’m actually a Russian botnet.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I wish we had that kind of coordination.

Other player: what's up?
Me: going to sleep, see you 5 minutes before you leave for work, maybe

10 hours later

code:

Guild: is anyone around, im just chillin by myse
*you have been murdered by some scrub*

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

how many active goons play this at the moment? follow up question, is being a healer an actual thing?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Frog Act posted:

how many active goons play this at the moment? follow up question, is being a healer an actual thing?
20 people online in discord at the moment and another 20 offline. No, being a dedicated healer is not a thing - though sometimes some mages help out someone who tries to tank.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Dante posted:

20 people online in discord at the moment and another 20 offline. No, being a dedicated healer is not a thing - though sometimes some mages help out someone who tries to tank.

To expand on that there are two skill paths to healing
1. Healing using bandages using the healing and anatomy skills, and
2. Healing by magic using the magery and evaluating intelligence skills

Maxing your ability to heal leaves you with 500/700 skill points left to spend. You can add additional survival skills (hide/stealth/and magic resistance) but you'll still have at least 200 points to devote to brawling (tactics and a weapon skill) or offensive magery (meditation and wrestling). PVP is generally so chaotic that you're going to want to be hitting something.

I could imagine a very narrow scenario where you could use magery for healing a small group at range while plinking away with arrows, but you'd need advance prep and some really complex macros to reliably heal a group that's going to be running around like idiots.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
A couple small questions:

Does it take a skill to mark a recall rune?
Does it take any magery at all to use a recall scroll?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Weltlich posted:

A couple small questions:

Does it take a skill to mark a recall rune?
Does it take any magery at all to use a recall scroll?

Mark is a 6th circle spell, so yes, quite a bit.
To recall consistently without fizzling, you need about 25 points in magery.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
*fizzles*

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

If anyone wants to train provoke, do it now before they patch the ability to do it without targets.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mark is a 6th circle spell, so yes, quite a bit.
To recall consistently without fizzling, you need about 25 points in magery.

Turns out it's moot, I just realized how close that stupid doorway was to New Goontown

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Stat&skillgain problems have been hotfixed.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be great if someone could mark a bunch of runes to goon HQ for newbies and leave em somewhere. Recall scrolls would be good too.

I was scoping out player vendors but finding basic consumables seems to be pretty hard, most vendors are out of stock.

It'd be kinda cool if we could have a little vendor mart for goons charging fair prices. I'm planning on doing fletching so I could keep an arrow vendor stocked.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gonna stream this game for a while, and probably a lot, because it owns.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

soy posted:

It would be great if someone could mark a bunch of runes to goon HQ for newbies and leave em somewhere. Recall scrolls would be good too.

I was scoping out player vendors but finding basic consumables seems to be pretty hard, most vendors are out of stock.

It'd be kinda cool if we could have a little vendor mart for goons charging fair prices. I'm planning on doing fletching so I could keep an arrow vendor stocked.
I've placed a GoonMall shack right next to the NuJelm moongate. A previous vendor from the old house that fell is stuck in front of it though, so I've sent a request to the admins to remove it. Once that happens it will be open for goons who want to place vendors right next to a public moongate and sell stuff.

If you want to sell discounted stuff to goons you could possibly place some vendors inside the compound.

Dante fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 8, 2018

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Goonmall is now up and running! (admins fix stuff fast) First wooden shack straight north from NuJelm moongate. The house wont place any closer to the gate, but if you place your vendor right at the plot line it will be visible from the gate. Guild ownership is enabled, but please limit yourself to one vendor so others can peddle their knockoffs as well.

Dante fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 8, 2018

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
New Goontown is looking so good right now. We're going to need to lock the gates and set a passcode though.

One big gap by Keanu Reeves house now though because the jerk still hasn't set guild ownership so we can get the walls sorted :v:

Once i finally GM carpentry I'll be selling my wares at less than pubbie prices

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The compound is NOT secure at this time, so keep that in mind while afk macroing.

Also we made a blood enemy of Biski last night for not being properly awed that he can kill crafters. Dude is so elite he can only jerk off to completion by wearing a Powerglove.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Today's antics included
1. Creating a young alt copy of a shard superstar
2. A high-level murderer was so amused at the mere existence of a naked and useless version of a shard superstar that he didn't immediately go through with his plan of griefing our settlement
3. Which meant he was just chilling with me when a group of other idiots came to grief our settlement
4. Murderer murks them and we high-five about how terrible they are at the game
5. We loudly crow about New Goontown being a dangerous place for people who suck at the game

Complete chaos. and the only time we drew blades was to take heads for propaganda displays.

If you're reading this thread and are on the fence:

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

How are hide/stealth and snoop/steal working?

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Sound posted:

How are hide/stealth and snoop/steal working?

These are the things keeping me from diving into this game. I think someone said hide/stealth were in but no stealing yet.

Stealing and stealthing around dropping trapped chests on corpses are literally the only things I log into UO Forever for anymore.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scopes posted:

These are the things keeping me from diving into this game. I think someone said hide/stealth were in but no stealing yet.

Stealing and stealthing around dropping trapped chests on corpses are literally the only things I log into UO Forever for anymore.

I'm waiting on those (my favorite things ever) too but I got gm hide/stealth going on my archer and at least you can loot peoples kills etc.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

soy posted:

I'm waiting on those (my favorite things ever) too but I got gm hide/stealth going on my archer and at least you can loot peoples kills etc.

Or just slink out of the shadows and shoot an arrow at them yelling "surprise, poo poo lord!"

Dude is so elite he can only jerk off to completion by wearing a Powerglove.

loving lol

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've been on the fence about this game. How does LoU differ from the base game Legends of Aria?
The Aria thread doesn't get as much traffic as this one... Do those of you that play LoU play Aria at all?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I watched soy stealth around a dungeon in his live stream a bit but I wasn't realy sure what the point was, was it a pvp area is that why you were stealthing or was it just to build skills while harvesting stuff from owlbears?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

pahuyuth posted:

I've been on the fence about this game. How does LoU differ from the base game Legends of Aria?
The Aria thread doesn't get as much traffic as this one... Do those of you that play LoU play Aria at all?

I honestly haven't even logged into the base game.

What I can say is that LoU is a fairly honest attempt to capture what UO was like ~20 years ago, and they keep moving closer to authentic on that. In the week I've played, I've been consistently surprised by how well the GM staff is keeping the server on track to being more-and-more UO. It's not 100% there yet, but given another few months and more updates to the engine, I think they're going to get drat close.

That said, this is a lot better than the original UO in many ways, graphically, performance wise, etc.

LoA may well be a fine game, but I'm not sure how many goons will actually play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Weltlich posted:

That said, this is a lot better than the original UO in many ways, graphically, performance wise, etc.

Uh, my observations after one day are that yes, it looks better than UO did 20 years ago, but performance is roughly on par. I've got a great ping but I'm constantly rubberbanding and getting stuck on seemingly every random object I foolishly get within 10 feet of as I run past.