Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I refuse to read Dan Slott's Fantastic Four. I can't risk enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ok. Good for you.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

Ok. Good for you.

lmao

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Don't encourage his support of rotten writers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fantastic Four #1 was real good. Comics are good again now that there’s Fantastic Four.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

We're going to disagree on this one because my excitement for the FF being back outweighs my dislike of Slott.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

We're going to disagree on this one because my excitement for the FF being back outweighs my dislike of Slott.

Dude, I might be the biggest FF fan here. But Slott is just Slott. I won't support his work.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Dude, I might be the biggest FF fan here. But Slott is just Slott. I won't support his work.

Do you like Tom DeFalco's FF, as I do?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

You’re not the biggest fan if you won’t buy their really good book.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Rhyno posted:

Most things he's written outside of Amazing Spider-man has been pretty good. I even enjoyed a lot of his Amazing Spider-Man, he just kind of falls apart when he tried to do THE BIGGEST SPIDER-MAN STORIES EVER!

So, there's an opinion too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess I will buy F4 if people not named Rhyno are enjoying it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do you like Tom DeFalco's FF, as I do?

Not especially. But that era was still far better than most Slott comics I have read.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

You need to go back to being like this:

Rhyno posted:

I never thought I would say this.

Dan Slott is crushing it on this book right now.

And then you could enjoy a good FF book again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was years ago, a horrible work experience and borderline alcoholism speaking.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doesn’t change the fact that book and the new FF was/is good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Doesn’t change the fact that book and the new FF was/is good.

Nah. As a whole his ASM is an exercise in bad decision making and too many subplots. I don't care for even one second what he has to say about the FF.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At least that one guy who constantly complains about Bendis Superman bothered to give it a shot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

At least that one guy who constantly complains about Bendis Superman bothered to give it a shot.

That's like, 9 different goons.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My only complaint is that the issue $6.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

That's like, 9 different goons.

AND THEY AT LEAST GAVE IT A SHOT.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

AND THEY AT LEAST GAVE IT A SHOT.

GOOD FOR THEM

I miss the days when this forum was united in their dislike of Slott.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
The only Marvel books I've been buying since the end of Hickman's run were Thor and Squirrel Girl trades. I don't like anything I've ever read from Slott, but that Ribic cover was just too good to pass up on.

I got curious, sorry Rhyno :(

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Eh, I didn't feel too impressed by that first issue, but I'll give it a few issues to get going.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Roth posted:

Eh, I didn't feel too impressed by that first issue, but I'll give it a few issues to get going.
That's where I'm at. It felt right but it wasn't mindblowing. That said I'm sure it'll be good till he comes up with a new groundbreaking shift in status quo.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Can someone give me a rundown on how/why Reed and Sue (and the kids?) are back?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I’m liking Spencer’s Spider-Man.

Still not into him as a person, but so far, digging his Spidey.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
DeFalco/Ryan Fantastic Four is just historically bad, I cannot imagine anyone defending it if they've actually looked at it in this century.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

head58 posted:

Can someone give me a rundown on how/why Reed and Sue (and the kids?) are back?

They aren't yet. They're working on it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just finished ff, it wasnt good but it was better than his iron man so i guess thats something

kinda funny how this seems to be the summer of weddings

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That last panel of Squirrel Girl today: gently caress Yes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

More or less this is how I felt. Even as first issues go, Slott didn’t really seem to be setting much of anything up other than the Richardses having a hard time getting home. We didn’t get to see many interactions between the main team since they’re split up, and I think Zdarsky has the Ben/Johnny friendship a bit better that Slott has shown thus far, though I enjoyed Ben and Alicia. The art was gorgeous, as expected from Pichelli, so that’s as a highlight. I did not like the Doom backup, and Naked Doom is going to take some getting used to. I imagine he’ll put the armor on eventually, though. I’ll check out the next issue, at least.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If Spencer is teasing a big Kraven fight I'm going to be a little sad if it overwrites the really lovely work that's been done with the character recently over in Squirrel Girl.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don’t think many people take into account what goes into that book. Kraven just recently was full on hunt and murder mode in Captain America too. I understand people wanting to have fun with a wacky villain because I love that, but Kraven is an odd choice for that because he’s not really wacky at all and portraying him that way is just basically changing a character for the sake of a joke. Feels kinda cheap to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't this the third Kraven? Or did the original come back to life?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Okay so I must admit, I am enjoying Amazing so far. Also liked FF even though nothing really happened in the issue.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kraven isn't wacky. He's a very self-serious aristocrat who jumps around rooftops in flats, animal print tights, and a bifurcated lion's face as a vest over top a bare chest while making murderous threats to a teenager who gets the best of him every time.

It's important that he be treated with the proper respect.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

X-O posted:

I don’t think many people take into account what goes into that book. Kraven just recently was full on hunt and murder mode in Captain America too. I understand people wanting to have fun with a wacky villain because I love that, but Kraven is an odd choice for that because he’s not really wacky at all and portraying him that way is just basically changing a character for the sake of a joke. Feels kinda cheap to me.

I feel like the most recent arc took it beyond that though and made a pretty interesting effort to reconcile how he's acted throughout SG with his normal M.O. Like, the kra-va is a cute joke and all but this week's issue in particular was legitimately, I think, a pretty thoughtful direction to move his character in that doesn't really require a ton of handwaving.

I'll cop to maybe being lenient here though because I've never super cared about Kraven outside of the Last Hunt, so I'm more willing to accomodate a certain wobbliness in his characterization that I might otherwise not be. For example as I've probably mentioned before, Ryan North's Taskmaster felt really off to me in a way that signalled less "I have my own weird ideas about this character" and more "I didn't bother to learn much about him."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Kraven isn't wacky. He's a very self-serious aristocrat who jumps around rooftops in flats, animal print tights, and a bifurcated lion's face as a vest over top a bare chest while making murderous threats to a teenager who gets the best of him every time.

It's important that he be treated with the proper respect.

Yeah, but you can have that and also have Kraven's Last Hunt.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The original Kraven (Sergei Kravenoff) who died in Kraven's Last Hunt was resurrected towards the end of the Brand New Day run of Spider-Man in some sort of weird Spider Blood ritual I don't really remember. He was upset at being resurrected and thought his family weren't True Hunters and ended up killing most of them, then trying to find a Spider good enough to kill him again. None of the various Spiders/Venoms were willing to kill him in battle so he tried to get Hulk to kill him, or maybe a resurrected Kaine would let him die a warrior's death, etc.

Basically every comic he's been in for the past 10 (or 30+, really) years have portrayed him as kind of a weird murderous dude who had weird ideas about wanting a noble death and so either wants to kill or be killed by everyone he sees. I'm not saying it's a terribly compelling character to me in most of these stories, but it's a consistent character that doesn't really work with the USG version.

Which doesn't make USG a bad comic, but some of the NUH UH NUH UH THIS IS ALL IN CONTINUITY, IF YOU LOOK UP THIS OLD COMIC THANOS SOMETIMES FARTS SO HARD THE GAUNTLET FALLS OFF AND HE POOPS HIMSELF THAT'S WHY I HATE THANOS BEING TREATED AS A THREAT IN STUPID rear end HICKMAN'S BULLSHIT level of wanting everything (that i like} in continuity is weird to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, but you can have that and also have Kraven's Last Hunt.

You're right, I should have said "...a teenager who gets the best of him every time except for once when he dressed up as and pretended to be the teenager and then killed himself."

Seriously though, there is room for Kraven to be both. Spider-Man's villains, simply by virtue of being Spider-Man villains, are prime targets to be taken down a peg but we should just let readers appreciate the tones and styles of different books and stories because a character can go from serious to silly and back again (or the reverse). Shocker's a good example. I like serious, dangerous Kraven and Shocker. And I like funny Kraven and Shocker. I'm also reading Howard the Duck and Spider-Man is presented as a hilariously broken, sobbing do-nothing but those stores don't take away from him being Marvel's premier superhero elsewhere, like in Spectacular Spider-Man written by the same author!