Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow. Who wrote that poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Collin Kelly n' Jackson Lanzing

edit: BTW it's the Crime Syndicate on Earth 3, not our Brucie talking.

For the new page

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 7, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well that's disappointing because Kelly and Lanzing are usually pretty good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Crime Syndicate story was the worst part of that comic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's like poetry. lovely teen angsty poetry.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Seven Soldiers in this week's Sideways :)
https://www.newsarama.com/41216-derek-enters-the-dark-multiverse-in-sideways-7.html#s3

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: It's incredibly easy to make a bad Justice League comic. What's the 'good comic' percentage since say, Joe Kelly JLA? 15% generously?

I read JLA after Kelly and it was okay, the Claremont/Byrne vampires storyline was weird and mediocre, and there were some arcs that were dedicated to the Red Tornado, and some Legion people mixed in (I distinctly remember a panel where Karate Kid hits Batman and says "I just gave you a hernia", I didn't think they were awful, but pale in comparison to the good ones (Morrison's run).

Trinity was (is?) also bad, right? Was it the awful kind of bad or boring, waste of your money kind of bad?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Trinity was boring for the first half and mediocre for the second. The worst part was the dialog in the first part which had either Batman, Wonder Woman or Superman keep mentioning the word trinity over and over and over again. It had the subtlety of a neon pink sledgehammer.
The second half was a mediocre "elseworld" story.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Madkal posted:

Trinity was boring for the first half and mediocre for the second. The worst part was the dialog in the first part which had either Batman, Wonder Woman or Superman keep mentioning the word trinity over and over and over again. It had the subtlety of a neon pink sledgehammer.
The second half was a mediocre "elseworld" story.

Shame, I really like Manapul, I read Nu52 Flash because of his art, but maybe he needs to take writing classes?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Oh wait. That's a different Trinity. I thought you were talking about the Busiek weekly from ages ago. Ignore everything I said because it doesn't relate to the Manupal stuff. Or maybe it does. I only read the first few issues and dropped it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Injustice 2 gave DC readers a proper wedding + epilogue this week. Not going to spoil exactly what happened, but it's a drat sight more satisfying than the "What if you *didn't* marry?" "Okay." BatCat went through.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Space Fish posted:

Injustice 2 gave DC readers a proper wedding + epilogue this week. Not going to spoil exactly what happened, but it's a drat sight more satisfying than the "What if you *didn't* marry?" "Okay." BatCat went through.

Well a superior Tom wrote it so of course.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I just want to enjoy comics, man. They don't always make it easy.

I don't like talking about the real dire stuff. You won't see me trying to find the bright side of the Titans show.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Bendis is poo poo and I want this lovely ride to end. God I can't take 10 years of Bendis Superman.

EDIT: Also you can't kill people in the Phantom Zone, that's the point.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 8, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Bendis is poo poo and I want this lovely ride to end. God I can't take 10 years of Bendis Superman.

EDIT: Also you can't kill people in the Phantom Zone, that's the point.

Have you considered not reading comics you don't like? Seems like after, what, 10 issues you've decided it's not for you.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like how boldly disconnected the two series are. In one the Earth is stuck in the Phantom Zone and in the other, arsonist mobsters.

edit: Also, recap paragraphs.

edit: Also, the skimpily attired, nipples out Tamaran king.

Also, Batman pulling over the Batmobile because of gravitationally induced diarrhea.

edit: and Martian Manhunter broadcast that to the brains of the Justice League.

and obviously.

Looking forward to checking out the new run of Supergirl with that dumb sash costume.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 8, 2018

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered not reading comics you don't like? Seems like after, what, 10 issues you've decided it's not for you.

Oh I've stopped reading it, don't you worry.

I just want to read a good Superman series again and the idea that Bendis might be making GBS threads it up for several years before a halfway decent writer comes on again annoys me.

Right now it seems like the only potentially good Superman story that might be worth a read is the Tom King Walmart story.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Teenage Fansub posted:

Looking forward to checking out the new run of Supergirl with that dumb sash costume.

Which she never wears in this week's issue.

I am a little bit excited for the space adventures of Kara and Krypto though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I also find the Bendis Superman to be incredibly blah. Which sucks because Tomasi had brought back the Superman I grew up on and loved very much.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like the Action storyline so far. The fire chief, Daily Planet stuff and mobsters meeting in a giant lead pipe.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Man, RHATO was fantastic

Even if the whole conflict between Jason and Bruce rings a little hollow in the light of the recent events in other books (something that was even acknowledged by the story), it was all worth it for this.

:allears:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm glad I took a chance on Hawkman. It feels like it's just missing nazis and it'd be an Indiana Jones comic, and I'm always glad to see Dinosaur Island used in anything.

And Ray Palmer is going to be there in a couple of issues.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I still think 'Tec is pretty good, but I can't help but wonder what happened behind the scenes to make the solicit so much different than what happens in the book. It was clear for a while that this was going to be a stealth launch for an Outsiders title, and now I'm not so sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I like the Action storyline so far. The fire chief, Daily Planet stuff and mobsters meeting in a giant lead pipe.

Oh, ever since The Pulse it's been clear Bendis has had a pitch for a Daily Planet focused book burning a hole in his drawer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Matt Wagner and his son were set to do pencils and colors respectively for an upcoming issue of Batman but after turning in the finished pages DC decided his son’s color work didn’t fit the DC house style and booted him off the book. Matt isn’t happy for obvious reasons. What a stupid decision and why on Esrth would you burn bridges with an artist like Wagner?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08/08/matt-wagner-regrets-drawing-batman-54/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That sucks. According to the link, you can see his work on Tim Sale variant covers.

At least DC doesn't seem to have a lot of terrible digital gradient loving colourists right now. Probably won't be a Laura Allred or Jordie Bellaire on short notice, though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 9, 2018

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Wait, Matt Wagner's art was close enough to the house style, but the colouring wasn't? I like Matt Wagner's art, but I would not really describe it as being "DC house style." I thought they'd moved away from that anyway?

Edit: ^^ I've not seen his colouring before, that looks good, and (obviously, I figure) looks like it'd go amazing with his father's style.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone posted this in the bleeding cool comments and they’re right.

Brennan Wagneran Wagner

Y’all buried the lede.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

Matt Wagner and his son were set to do pencils and colors respectively for an upcoming issue of Batman but after turning in the finished pages DC decided his son’s color work didn’t fit the DC house style and booted him off the book. Matt isn’t happy for obvious reasons. What a stupid decision and why on Esrth would you burn bridges with an artist like Wagner?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08/08/matt-wagner-regrets-drawing-batman-54/

Ah. There is the old DC I remember. Too bad the counter quit being updated.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

Ah. There is the old DC I remember. Too bad the counter quit being updated.

It was updated today in fact! (the text below the counter wasn't, but the link to this story was)

http://hasdcdonesomethingstupidtoday.com/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Enforcing a color standard is just dumb as hell

One thing i appreciate about marvel is that it doesn't really give a poo poo about enforcing any standard art style and you can end up with some really great stuff because of it

site fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 9, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alienating Matt Wagner is the dumbest thing you could do.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

One thing i appreciate about marvel is that it doesn't really give a poo poo about enforcing any standard art style and you can end up with some really great stuff because of it

I think the only thing holding DC back from Marvel as far as artistic diversity is a lack of youth/upbeat kinda titles that would suit your Hendersons and Gurihirus. They had that for a little bit in the You era with Babs Tarr, and maybe something could be catered for Doc Shaner if he could keep up. They do have that sort of talent coming in for the YA lines, though.
They're comparable otherwise. DC's got boring old mainstays in David Finch and Tony Daniel, meanwhile Marvel's heading up their big event with Mike Deodato. Mike Del Mundo and Christian Ward are exciting modern artists on one side, so are Jorge Jimenez and Mitch Gerards on the other.

edit: \/ and Clay Mann, Joelle Jones, Bilquis Evely, Viktor Bogdanovic, yadda yadda

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 9, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
This was a pretty good article about Tom King and Clay Mann's upcoming Heroes in Crisis miniseries, which I am REALLY looking forward to:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/tom-kings-heroes-in-crisis-is-going-to-change-the-way-y-1828034526

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/perezartist/status/1027402925415510016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

A Green Lantern will die on every page

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Its gonna be Harley and the follow up "Reign of the Harley Quinns" will start in early 2019.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Is that Damian? Because it looks a lot like Tim but I genuinely can't tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's probably best to ignore all promotion for this thing.