Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
This isn't entirely relevant but I like to bring it up on any excuse, here is the original lux splash art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This isn't entirely relevant but I like to bring it up on any excuse, here is the original lux splash art.

That was Shurelya's original design, right?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Maxmaps posted:

That was Shurelya's original design, right?

yeah she goes pretty hard in the paint with importing anime into league

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Let's be real though, the market and the fanbase both significantly contribute to this issue. Ahri is basically the postergirl for the whole game and was the only thing I even knew about the game for a long time, there's a foxgirl in the game and EVERYONE likes her. Ahri and Caitlyn and Jinx are the ones everyone is making fanart of, they're the one's everyone is cosplaying at conventions, they're the ones everyone is buying skins for. When it comes time to make a new hero, or a new skin, what do you think people are going to want to buy? Which pool party skin do you think sold the best? Riot have this market data and are using it to inform their decisions, and I would like to see it because I think it would be very telling. I'm not trying to absolve people of blame, but the exact same things happens to artists outside of Riot who are trying to make a living. You see all these artists trying to scrape by with commissions while also working a day job, then you flip over to the patreon of someone drawing huge anime tiddies and they're pulling in 2,000$ a month or more? Or WAY more? The market informs the product, and if you legitimately think Riot aren't financially benefiting from the cute girl .jpgs significantly more than the other ones I have some bad news for you.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

How did we get from "Riot has a sexual harrassment problem" to "Riot's titty girls are bad" yet again?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Let's be real though, the market and the fanbase both significantly contribute to this issue. Ahri is basically the postergirl for the whole game and was the only thing I even knew about the game for a long time, there's a foxgirl in the game and EVERYONE likes her. Ahri and Caitlyn and Jinx are the ones everyone is making fanart of, they're the one's everyone is cosplaying at conventions, they're the ones everyone is buying skins for. When it comes time to make a new hero, or a new skin, what do you think people are going to want to buy? Which pool party skin do you think sold the best? Riot have this market data and are using it to inform their decisions, and I would like to see it because I think it would be very telling. I'm not trying to absolve people of blame, but the exact same things happens to artists outside of Riot who are trying to make a living. You see all these artists trying to scrape by with commissions while also working a day job, then you flip over to the patreon of someone drawing huge anime tiddies and they're pulling in 2,000$ a month or more? Or WAY more? The market informs the product, and if you legitimately think Riot aren't financially benefiting from the cute girl .jpgs significantly more than the other ones I have some bad news for you.

How does Jinx fit into the 'sell titty girls for easy money' paradigm though? She's a crazy looking stick. I feel like that dilutes the point because she's not even close to the mold of Ahri or MF or Caitlyn.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Im not sure how any of these things lead to sexual harassment?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Endorph posted:

They don't, they flow from the same source.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

porfiria posted:

They don't, they flow from the same source.
Im.not sure that really makes sense, is my point. Plenty of companies that make games that are completely on the up and up wrt gender relations have similar issues, and I dont think people liking sexy stuff when its just like, hey heres a sexy consenting adult fox girl, is really a massive sexism. When you make equivalancies like that youre basically just getting lost in the weeds instead of confronting the systematic sexism that pervades tech and games culture from all angles.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Endorph posted:

Not hiring women isn't sexual harassment. Rejecting an idea from a woman and then praising the same idea from a man isn't sexual harassment. Significant issues exist with women being treated fairly and equally beyond sexual harassment. Did you even read the article or the other posts here? It shouldn't be hard to imagine how being monetarily rewarded for objectifying women might negatively contribute to company culture for women.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Not hiring women isn't sexual harassment. Rejecting an idea from a woman and then praising the same idea from a man isn't sexual harassment. Significant issues exist with women being treated fairly and equally beyond sexual harassment. Did you even read the article or the other posts here? It shouldn't be hard to imagine how being monetarily rewarded for objectifying women might negatively contribute to company culture for women.
And like I said they made a big public show of moving away from those kinds of designs so wouldn't they have hired women to help them move away from those designs, by that logic? They clearly didn't. And again like I said, plenty of companies that aren't 'financially rewarded for objectifying women' have these issues, and plenty of companies that are don't.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

And like I said they made a big public show of moving away from those kinds of designs so wouldn't they have hired women to help them move away from those designs, by that logic? They clearly didn't. And again like I said, plenty of companies that aren't 'financially rewarded for objectifying women' have these issues, and plenty of companies that are don't.

It could be argued they're kinda having their cake and eating it too, though...while newer designs are indeed more unique and interesting, many skins continue to sexualize champions, sometimes in ways that are wildly out of character, and that's where they make the money. Wanna see the fencer in a bikini? Pay up.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

a dude showing you a picture of his dick randomly is sexual harassment, man

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sexpansion posted:

a dude showing you a picture of his dick randomly is sexual harassment, man

yes, and?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

It could be argued they're kinda having their cake and eating it too, though...while newer designs are indeed more unique and interesting, many skins continue to sexualize champions, sometimes in ways that are wildly out of character, and that's where they make the money. Wanna see the fencer in a bikini? Pay up.
Yeah, I'd agree with that much. I'm not saying you can't have issues with some designs or how some games portray women, just that I was disagreeing with the whole 'no surprise that the company that gave us miss fortune boobs is sexist' thing because it kind of presupposes that companies or people that do those things always, or are more likely to, have these issues and companies or people that don't never do, which is blatantly untrue on both ends of the spectrum. I've gotten weird DMs from dudes who make big deals of being 'woke' and getting mad about games with too much titty, I've had friends and known people who have gone through way worse from dudes who get, or at least got, praised as big feminist allies.

Obviously not every dude who does those things or fits that mold is a sexual harasser, but that's my point. Sexism in geek culture is a much more complicated and insidious thing than that, so just taking it as read that a company has a sexist culture or sexist management because the product they make has some questionable elements or sells on sexuality is kind of missing the point, to me.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Oh yeah, there are a poo poo ton of Nick Robinsons out there for sure.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
All companies that trade in big titty girls are sexist. Virtually every woke company is sexist.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

porfiria posted:

All companies that trade in big titty girls are sexist. Virtually every woke company is sexist.

theres no such thing as a woke company, companies arent your friend.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

porfiria posted:

no woke titties under capitalism

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Both male and female sources have described seeing unsolicited and unwelcome pictures of male genitalia from bosses or colleagues.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sexpansion posted:

Both male and female sources have described seeing unsolicited and unwelcome pictures of male genitalia from bosses or colleagues.

yes, and?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

do you think I said something about women not being sexually harassed? I have literally no idea what you're trying to prove to me here

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

do you think I said something about women not being sexually harassed? I have literally no idea what you're trying to prove to me here

nm, I misread, my bad

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Re: Riot being lovely, this tumblr post is on the front page of the league subreddit this morning: http://meagan-marie.tumblr.com/post/176788011970/six-months-at-riot-games. Sounds like the Dublin office is also (surprising no one) awful.

Also, re the link between Riot's portrayal of women and harassment. She submitted an anonymous question about why there was no diversity of female body types in league at the time, and they asked her to ask it publicly and then rebuffed it completely. Then:

quote:

After the meeting, I realized I had put a target on my back with some of the men in the office. I didn’t even make it to my desk before a male colleague came up and told me that “women don’t want to play unattractive champions. They want to feel beautiful.” I was stunned. A woman behind us audibly laughed at the fact that he was informing us of our gender’s gaming preferences. A few male coworkers also asked why I would like to see an “unattractive” female champion, or a plus size female champion, because “no one wants to look at that.” These were several of dozens of conversations I would have on the matter.

There's lots of worse things of all sorts as well. The whole thing is just gross and lovely. She lists things that happened to her/around the office more specifically than the Kotaku article and dear God.

foutre fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 9, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Further examples of disrespect include when I argued that we shouldn’t let a cosplayer in blackface on our stage for a parade, keeping in mind that Riot is a global company. I was repeatedly called racist by my colleagues, who tried to convince me that it was an acceptable practice and I was overreacting.

okay hold up

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
God drat

Kudos to her for risking the whole non disclosure settlement thing

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Endorph posted:

okay hold up

lmao

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I honestly don't get why they want so badly to have a champion's base stats change with out of game nonsense, the runes in of themselves are fine just remove all the stats and then buff people with weak early games due to lacking stats.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Lord_Magmar posted:

I honestly don't get why they want so badly to have a champion's base stats change with out of game nonsense, the runes in of themselves are fine just remove all the stats and then buff people with weak early games due to lacking stats.

If they're going to decouple stats from Runes they should definitely do this, or else we just have the Runes and Masteries problem literally all over again.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's to give champions in bad matchups more leeway and to open up more roles for certain champions (e.g. having more attack speed so you can jungle successfully).

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

just make more starting items then. why do we need so many different sources of level 1 stats?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lord_Magmar posted:

why they want to do that in general? i dont know, but why to do it with the current system makes sense to me to some degree. there are a lot of champs that would like presence of mind and dont want anything to do with attack speed keystones. plus there are a LOT of champions who would love the precision keystones but really also want AD in their kit. i really enjoy the current mastery system but there are some holes in it where the stats you want are decoupled from the keystones you want and that feels kinda bad.

its also pretty dumb that you end up with a tree with aerie/comet and scorch that are both just huge DPS boosts that come with a huge movement speed boost or mana regen or cdr, whereas there's just no ability to couple attack speed and ad which would typically go with a champ who just wants to build damage.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/Gogo_Usagi/status/1027944855899594752

amazing

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Well that's loving awful.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel sad about how unsurprised I am.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Note that there's some more context in the thread. It's less sinister than it sounds, although it's still a, "Gosh, if only you'd told us about this before!" message when, realistically, people on the upper ladder already knew what was going on and took limited or no action regarding it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I hope they get sued into oblivion.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

that riot sexism story got posted on hacker news earlier this week and someone that works at S2 (heroes of newerth) said he was totally shocked that people at riot could act like that and it would never happen at S2. its pretty surprising to me that someone that works at the company that brought you "gay announcer pack" and has a CEO that uses racial slurs in public matches could be so unaware of the world around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That's been the story of the report in industry circles as I understand it, everyone acting shocked that this could happen while quietly ignoring the stuff that's almost certainly happening at their studios.

Or if you're Cliffy "I shut down my studio with no notice and fired everyone by email, remember when I made Unreal Tournament?" B none of it happened and the entire story was made up for clicks.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 11, 2018