Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

It's a goddamn travesty that Undertale got all the attention while LISA was ignored.

LISA was definitely the better game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Is LISA actually worth playing or is it a meme-ridden random-monkey-cheese stupid thing?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oldstench posted:

Is LISA actually worth playing or is it a meme-ridden random-monkey-cheese stupid thing?

It's not meme-ridden or random-monkey-cheese at all

It's an RPG game with some cool stuff in it and was overall fun to play

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Lisa is basically basically Mother (Earthbound) meets Mad Max.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hmm...I only like 1 of these things.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what you're saying is it's a lovely game in a post apocalyptic setting

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

So what you're saying is it's a lovely game in a post apocalyptic setting

I mean yeah, it doesn't have the greatest RPG combat ever or something, but it's entertaining enough

I think the game would probably self-describe as "lovely"

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Oldstench posted:

I just played through it and I can only recall one meme, and even then it was tastefully done.

Mechanically I think it's actually pretty great. Especially in how well it weaves the story into the mechanics.

The music and sound effects are great too.

It also might be gaming's greatest farcical comedy.

megallica
Nov 4, 2008

Oh god, my brain is full of BEES!!
FF12: The Zodiac Age is the best Final Fantasy game. The rest are good but FF12 blends the best of turn based and real time combat. It accomadates whatever playstyle you like, whether it be turn based or real time like.The gambit system allows you to "set it and forget" when you want certain party members to do specific thing constantly.(no stopping to do curjas is the middle of combat. White mage pretty much on auto pilot). And instead of everybody being able to do the same thing eventually you party members have specific jobs/class.

Oh and here's my favorite: it has the least amount of anime-teen bullshit.

Though FF12 does seem to be getting more love than when it originally released. The Zodiac Age really did change and improve the game mechanics compared to the original NA release.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the legend of zelda: the ocarina of time....SUCKS poo poo

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Orkin Mang posted:

:eyepop:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
where in the world is carmen san diego? its neither here, nor there for me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Orkin Mang posted:

She's in the toilet...the poopzone

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Orkin Mang posted:

Okay I'll fight you on that one. I played the late 90's versions and they were my childhood

megallica
Nov 4, 2008

Oh god, my brain is full of BEES!!
Oh and I forgot this. Cactoids are in FF12. :3:

https://m.imgur.com/yeP68k9

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Orkin Mang posted:

Agreed: Master Quest is where it's at :unsmigghh:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Okay I'll fight you on that one. I played the late 90's versions and they were my childhood

as sebmojo observed, rather childishly, carmen san diego is in the 'poopzone', by which he obviously means 13 the level of hell, for those souls ruined by the sin of Wanderlust, cursed forever to slip & slide on their own watery turds

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Where in time is carmen Santiago was the poo poo as a kid, even if I dont remember any of the goofy adventure game logic you had to use while learning about Edison, the Roman's and junk.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FoolyCharged posted:

Where in time is carmen Santiago was the poo poo as a kid, even if I dont remember any of the goofy adventure game logic you had to use while learning about Edison, the Roman's and junk.

the tortoise & the hare was also not unthrilling

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Total Warhammer has made me realize that Total War games are generally not very fun. Total Warhammer is fun because of its setting and because you can fly around on a dragon shooting spells at dudes, so lol at ever playing a normal Total War game

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
not being able to kill children anymore does not degrade my Fallout experience

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nooner posted:

not being able to kill children anymore does not degrade my Fallout experience

hello nooner, u scumbag

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
im a shithead not a scumbag and you know it, please do not mislabel me ):

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

AutumnDDP posted:

I mean, they're still good enough. I'm just not very impressed by new game consoles anymore. I know it makes me look old, but when I was a kid, upgrading from a NES to a Sega Genesis was a big deal. Likewise for getting a PS1 for the first time. Nowadays I just don't care about graphical upgrades and I don't know what the big deal is.
i kinda feel this way too. up until the 360/ps3/wii gen, you could be sure that every console generation would look better and play better. now almost all the mid-sized companies are dead or bought out, AAA studios rule the landscape, and the indie game scene is a constant stream of metroidvanias. i'm tempted to get a switch but i'll probably get only a couple of games for it

is pepsi ok posted:

It's a goddamn travesty that Undertale got all the attention while LISA was ignored.
:yeah:

it's more fun to stick up for the lesser-known game, though. i've been on the ground floor of earthbound fandom and suffered through people ignoring it for a decade and a half

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

FoolyCharged posted:

It was adventurey as fuuuck

The goddam aquaducts, the zelda like trading cycle in France or some poo poo. That was a good gane

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Earthbound was never a secret, it regularly shows up on GOAT lists and always has.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dross posted:

Earthbound was never a secret, it regularly shows up on GOAT lists and always has.
it sold like poo poo when it came out so relatively few people played it, and i'd argue the main reason it got mainstream attention was because of Smash Bros.

it's kind of like that old saying about Velvet Underground but applied to a video game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Earthbound is as much of a secret as the In N Out secret menu, every loving nerd already knows about it

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I beat Mass Effect 3 and the ending was far from the biggest problem that game had.

Complete lack of side content, what was there was all the stupid planet scanning ballocks.
Lack of party members, cool new alien friends are what this game series has been about for me but this game failed to deliver.
The plot is contrived and stupid, i dont understand why all these aliens need favours for favours to save the fuckin' galaxy.
The combat is extremely unbalanced and squadmates/powers feel somehow even more useless than 2 with a strong bias towards guns specifically snipers and shotguns that can 1/2 shot almost any enemy in the game.

But here's the big controversy, the ending is fine, i played with the DLC and aside from it not really reflecting your choices up to that point, it works fine for the series. I mean sure there's a "stab baby vs cure cancer" style of moral choice but the series is full of them. The biggest problem i had was during the last little scene with illusive man, where my only way to continue was to perform a renegade action despite being a good guy, so it caused me to need to watch 10 minutes of dialogue over because i didnt realise no good guy option was coming and it game over'd me for missing the evil QTE.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
But you weren't enough of a good guy to convince that dude to kill himself?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

2house2fly posted:

But you weren't enough of a good guy to convince that dude to kill himself?

Lol that was a fun scene

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

i legit dont know how to get more good boy points than i had, i guess i needed to max out the reputation stats earlier, i did just about every side quest i could find :s

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
IIRC, it's not a question of good boy points, but the option is gated behind taking certain choices throughout the game. Basically you need to have pushed for a Paragon choice at every opportunity, and some of those opportunities I think were hidden in some dialogue chains.

Yeah it's a bit silly. I think one or two are like at the very beginning of the game too.

I really do not like games where you have to have done things in some absurdly specific way in order to achieve a particular outcome. I think it pushes people to use walkthroughs which I think are basically anti-fun and a pretty pernicious thing.

One of the unintended consequences I guess of pushing HARD CHOICES gaming is that many, many people feel pressured to be hooked up to walkthrough at major junctures to make sure they aren't accidentally killing the best character or doing something unintentionally that they don't want.

Game designers absolutely still do not understand what good choices in games look like. The split in Witcher 2 remains the boldest and most interesting choice ever put in a game. It's a morally grey question, and the effect is massive in that it totally changes the what happens next and one is not obviously better than the other in advance. No walkthrough can explain the totality of the pros/cons of the choice are, so in the end you go with your gut. So many games (for the sake of practicality or narrative legerdemain) put in these sorts of choices, but the outcomes can easily be summarised in a sentence on a wiki that allows you to choose optimally if you want to.

Choices should be have contagious and difficult to pin down effects, that are also not immediately punitive. I would rather games had a fraction of the choices they do now, but each one has a number of knock-on effects and moves the narrative gradually down whatever path you select in a more organic way.

The sooner we move away from anything that resembles garbage points-based, roll-based choice systems the better. Game narratives might upgrade from hack D&D campaign schlock to children's CYOA book which is probably still a flat-out improvement.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The problem with having real choices is that it at least doubles the amount of work needed for the part of the game that comes after the choice. You can't just add choices and tell your guys to make each branch, that quickly becomes unmanageable.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

The cartoon series also had one of the great openers of 90's cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGufyFt6zQc

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Vakal posted:

The cartoon series also had one of the great openers of 90's cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGufyFt6zQc

The quality disconnect between the openings of cartoons and the actual episodes was some bullshit

Vakal
May 11, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

The quality disconnect between the openings of cartoons and the actual episodes was some bullshit

That can be said for all most all of the old cartoons.

Except Mighty Max though, that was rock solid all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsxmXiRw6d4

Vakal fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 9, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What happens at the end of Mass Effect 3 and why we're people disappointed? I will never play these games so feel free to be as spoilerific as possible.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

punk rebel ecks posted:

What happens at the end of Mass Effect 3 and why we're people disappointed? I will never play these games so feel free to be as spoilerific as possible.

The collective weight of ten million nerd fantasies crushed Bioware into a fine paste because the culmination of every decision you make across three games ends with some weird ghost kid telling you to open Box A, B or C for a pre-packaged ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Jeza posted:

The collective weight of ten million nerd fantasies crushed Bioware into a fine paste because the culmination of every decision you make across three games ends with some weird ghost kid telling you to open Box A, B or C for a pre-packaged ending.

Also how they seemingly had an indoctrination subplot in 3 with Shepard they just abandoned, that would have made some things (like the illusive man being a paragon option) make a gently caress ton more sense.

All the the endings were the same and lovely, and instead of being open to dialogue the writers handled it pretty badly. That's why you still hear people saying the Citadel dlc is the only saving grace of three, because it was written after the fact.