Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Wait, Mogwai is doing the soundtrack yet they are using generic epic music for the trailer? That seems like a waste, even if their stuff isn’t suited for an action trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just because music is licensed for the movie doesn't mean you get to use it for all media. It could be hundreds of thousands of dollars to also license it for theatrical marketing purposes.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXz7lpPK_QA

It's Cary Fukunaga so it can't be too bad, but I gotta say that trailer looks rather ugly. The theme surely lends itself to a more... deliberate style of cinematography. This just looks plain.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vegetable posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXz7lpPK_QA

It's Cary Fukunaga so it can't be too bad, but I gotta say that trailer looks rather ugly. The theme surely lends itself to a more... deliberate style of cinematography. This just looks plain.

I mean to each his own, but I felt the exact opposite. Or rather I definitely didn't think it looks ugly. It looks like a really good series to me!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It reminds me of Beyond the Black Rainbow but without the vision.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This is what Eternal Sunshine would’ve been if Terry Gilliam had directed it

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Haha. When I heard the line, "Everytime I separate them, they find a way back together," I thought it looked exactly like Eternal Sunshine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GrandpaPants posted:

It reminds me of Beyond the Black Rainbow but without the vision.

So not mind numbingly boring? Got it. ;)

QuoProQuid posted:

Haha. When I heard the line, "Everytime I separate them, they find a way back together," I thought it looked exactly like Eternal Sunshine.

Yeah my thought was "Eternal Sunshine crossed with The Good Place."

Also you don't really get it from that trailer, but there's supposed to be a pretty big dark comedy thread in it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wish I were as optimistic as y'all. I got "Cloud Atlas meets Upstream Color" from that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

feedmyleg posted:

I wish I were as optimistic as y'all. I got "Cloud Atlas meets Upstream Color" from that.

I haven't seen the trailer yet but "a good movie meets a great movie" doesn't really seem like a negative.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

QuoProQuid posted:

add a little dash of classic :lost: episode The Constant.

I thought trailer was pretty wild, looks good, will watch

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jewmanji posted:

This is what Eternal Sunshine would’ve been if Terry Gilliam had directed it

After Last Season but with less cardboard.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Those movies have style.

Legion did the whole insane house/conspiracy with a lot more flair.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

I haven't seen the trailer yet but "a good movie meets a great movie" doesn't really seem like a negative.

I mean, sure. But that combo rubs me the wrong way.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Cary Fukunaga means I at least give it a chance.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also has YouTube's compression gotten worse or something? Maybe it's just because I had my monitors calibrated recently, but holy hell the compression artifacts are INSANE.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah it has. I remember the new Godzilla trailer was absolutely horrific. I thought my WiFi connection was hosed but nope. It’s just a bad video.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BonoMan posted:

Also has YouTube's compression gotten worse or something? Maybe it's just because I had my monitors calibrated recently, but holy hell the compression artifacts are INSANE.

There's no question it's gotten worse, probably to make room for all the livestream poo poo and 60fps/4K content.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I didn't give half a poo poo about Maniac and then I saw this:

https://twitter.com/grayamelia/status/1026509575963336716

Now I'm loving psyched.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

Now I'm loving psyched.

It looks like it could be really good or really bad, but I'm intrigued.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Power of Pecota posted:

Now I'm loving psyched.

I just hope they recreate this scene:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Oh, probably should've specified - Amelia Gray being involved is the big thing for me, I reread Gutshot every few months.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hope they got the okay from the makers of the 1980 Maniac to use that title, just for politeness sake.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

American Horror Story: Apocalypse teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-caSt3vmGk

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sorry AHS. Twin Peaks owns mushroom clouds for the moment.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Nutcracker trailer from Disney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2vmAttpgrg

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

this looks that live-action alice in wonderland with the serial numbers filed off.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

QuoProQuid posted:

this looks that live-action alice in wonderland with the serial numbers filed off.

With a healthy mix of the live-action Beauty and the Beast, plus a dash of what a live-action Frozen might look like. (And you know they're going to make the latter within the next ten years.)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

My boss just confirmed that he snagged Mandy for Sept. :black101:

I was sure that he was going to pass on it due to the demographics of our neighborhood but he came out of the screener very excited. He says it's the Nicolas Cage movie to end all Nicolas Cage movies.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Mandy is loving dope and everybody should see it as soon as possible.

I got to see a super late screening at our local film festival last week and the first thing I said when it was done was, "I'm sure I've seen that movie airbrushed on the side of a van."

e. Plus the score is one of the last by Jóhann Jóhannsson and it's amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Captain_Person posted:

no loving way

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Captain_Person posted:

loving sold.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVzhqPC-CCM

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Not sure how I haven't heard of it, but yeah, Mandy looks fantastic. Sept. 18th is the release?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of a24, the little magazines they put out for their press screenings are pretty cool, the one for Hereditary was all about the roles that leading actress has cried in, and the one for Eighth Grade is about youtube kids

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain_Person posted:

Mandy is loving dope and everybody should see it as soon as possible.

I got to see a super late screening at our local film festival last week and the first thing I said when it was done was, "I'm sure I've seen that movie airbrushed on the side of a van."

It was playing at Fantasia here in Montreal but unfortunately it was sold out. :smith:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Trailer for Climax by Gaspar Noe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi69nL_VrTE

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Helluva trailer.

So glad A24 picked this up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

man between this and the Suspiria remake this is a good year for terrifying movies about dance

edit: holy poo poo that's Sofia Boutella

she's amazing

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

man between this and the Suspiria remake this is a good year for terrifying movies about dance

edit: holy poo poo that's Sofia Boutella

she's amazing

I'm glad she's still getting jobs after the mummy