Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
CrYOSPOSt:

CPColin posted:

We were just informed by another company using the same vendor as we are that the web interface to the vendor's application has a slight vulnerability where adding "&e=1" to the URL exposes a bunch of debug information, including the public and private key. They had complained about it previously and the vendor had assured them it was fixed. Fortunately, we don't use the web interface, because holy poo poo.

This is the same vendor that had the case-insensitive passwords because they were probably storing them in plaintext.

Edit: Oops, my previous post about this vendor was in the "Working in Development" thread, not this one.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

itskage posted:

PHP code:
// @group failsOnJenkins
public function testSomeFunction() {
}

there you go :v:

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Speaking of testing, I notice there's different opinions about mocking versus faking implementations. From my limited experience, I notice that fake implementations tend to fail appropriately, whenever implementation details and APIs change, whereas mock implementations tend to fail inappropriately, whenever a different color of light is reflected in the wind. What's the opinion here? The answer is likely language-specific, as C++ and Java have some excellent mocking libraries especially for unit testing. In Go, on the other hand, fake implementations are recommended and usually much easier to write than the corresponding mock implementation, especially for unit tests.

Integration tests are another beast because I can't get anyone to agree on what is truly a hermetic environment to be shared across multiple language runtimes. Your virtualenv that sets up a DB adapter that refers to a real production service with a testing table set up is not hermetic in my integration test. I would have preferred we just use a in-memory DB implementation since the DB is not the part of the system under test anyways.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
We don't use an ORM for our DAO layer so having a real DB to connect to and run queries to catch syntax errors and the like is essential

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Janitor Prime posted:

We don't use an ORM for our DAO layer so having a real DB to connect to and run queries to catch syntax errors and the like is essential

Problems like that are usually caught with integration tests.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Coffee Mugshot posted:

Speaking of testing, I notice there's different opinions about mocking versus faking implementations. From my limited experience, I notice that fake implementations tend to fail appropriately, whenever implementation details and APIs change, whereas mock implementations tend to fail inappropriately, whenever a different color of light is reflected in the wind. What's the opinion here? The answer is likely language-specific, as C++ and Java have some excellent mocking libraries especially for unit testing. In Go, on the other hand, fake implementations are recommended and usually much easier to write than the corresponding mock implementation, especially for unit tests.

Integration tests are another beast because I can't get anyone to agree on what is truly a hermetic environment to be shared across multiple language runtimes. Your virtualenv that sets up a DB adapter that refers to a real production service with a testing table set up is not hermetic in my integration test. I would have preferred we just use a in-memory DB implementation since the DB is not the part of the system under test anyways.

Fakes/stubs are generally going to be more resilient than mocks in general because fakes/stubs are just returning expected data when you make an api call. Mocks have logic and allow for verification of stuff like "this method was called x number of times, etc." Mocks are going to be more brittle than fakes if used appropriately because they're used to verify integration logic without actually integrating - like, if you have a database adapter, and the methods are startSession(), setQuery(), executeQuery(), retrieveResults(), endSession(), the fake would be good you only care about the api results for the purpose of your test. If you want to verify a certain execution flow - e.g. that the consumer calls startSession(), setQuery(), executeQuery(), retrieveResults(), endSession() in that order when called from your class, you would use a mock rather than a fake.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

During a pull request review today, discussing the difficulty of fixing a bug that will break other things that were only working because of the bug, a co-worker used the phrase "load bearing bug".

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Thermopyle posted:

Now I've got a nagging feeling that I've missed something.

Is your test order random or fixed? Accidental state leakage of some kind?

Coffee Mugshot posted:

Database containers could be a good fit here. Build a docker image that restores a fixture db backup (can be a "real" backup of your testing table(s)), boot the container, run the tests, delete the container, done.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

itskage posted:

During a pull request review today, discussing the difficulty of fixing a bug that will break other things that were only working because of the bug, a co-worker used the phrase "load bearing bug".

I love this

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Factor Mystic posted:

Database containers could be a good fit here. Build a docker image that restores a fixture db backup (can be a "real" backup of your testing table(s)), boot the container, run the tests, delete the container, done.

This is what we do for our newer projects and it works well. Just remember to have the CI assign a unique name to the testing database container (use the commit SHA or a tag), lest you get conflicts when two builds run at the same time.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

:negative:

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

when you need all the unit tests to pass

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I am currently in charge of bringing a legacy testing application back to life.

It’s truly a horror:
- Python 2
- Several thousand PEP8 errors
- QT4
- 25 libraries
- MONGODB

It took me a week just to get the unit tests to pass and fix the PEP8 poo poo.
Next up is to container it, and get it in as part of our testing proceeds.

After that I will murder mongodb and it’s gigantic bloated pile of poo poo carcass with gusto.
Then Python3
Then QT5

It’s gonna be a long sprint.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I'm looking for a new job and was considering a project with PHP 5.3 code, without any unit tests, without CI (with tests 3-5 years down the pipeline), with parts artisanally written without OO and thought to myself if I really want to pursue down that rabbit hole again if I'm not a lead. No, I don't.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Saw this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1026603800365330432?s=19

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jesus Christ. And apparently it's not even a distributed blockchain, it's centralized. What a good awful mess.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Blockchain: the solution in perpetual search of a problem.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1026731097688887297

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Voting is possibly the worst use case for blockchains.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Linking SSLLabs as proof of security is just hilarious.

Incidentally, the SSL cert on the link under your av is broken.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Ranzear posted:

Incidentally, the SSL cert on the link under your av is broken.

Yeah, SA changed the default from http to https, so now I have to pay to change a link that worked just fine when I bought it :bahgawd:.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

This one was an entertaining read: https://medium.com/@vesirin/how-i-gained-commit-access-to-homebrew-in-30-minutes-2ae314df03ab

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

there's more voatz stuff

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1026907185811529728

Also whoever runs their twitter account is very not mad

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SimonChris posted:

Yeah, SA changed the default from http to https, so now I have to pay to change a link that worked just fine when I bought it :bahgawd:.

A kindly mod might change it for you for free if you ask nicely.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

jerry seinfel posted:

there's more voatz stuff

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1026907185811529728

Also whoever runs their twitter account is very not mad

I've been watching this story as its progressed. Its truly been fantastic to watch unfold and then watch the Votez account attempt to frantically dig their way out of this hole.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

xkcd today:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
As usual, xkcd is right.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
:thunk:

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
planes aren’t that safe when some russian dude is shooting a missle at it

:iiaca:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Not sure if this has been posted but this seems to be a nice place to work. I think I got spam from a recruiter working for them last year.

quote:

After Sadeghi, Li, and other employees left the elevator, Sadeghi attempted to leave the building through the lobby. However, Li and three other Pinscreen employees, under Li’s commands, surrounded Sadeghi and physically attacked him. They grabbed Sadeghi and his backpack, which he was wearing, violently restrained him, forcibly opened his backpack and took possession of Sadeghi’s work laptop.

The battery, on information and belief, has been captured on the security cameras of the building and the recordings have been preserved by the building security team. The security officers on duty described the battery as Sadeghi being “grabbed,” “brought to the ground,” and “taken to the ground” by Pinscreen employees.

Also the CEO proudly posts stuff like this:

Also some fairly extensive fraud for a couple of years.

The company are still scheduled to present during the real time live demos at siggraph next week so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

Startups sometimes sound a whole lot like the employment version of Russian roulette.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Xerophyte posted:

Not sure if this has been posted but this seems to be a nice place to work. I think I got spam from a recruiter working for them last year.

The company are still scheduled to present during the real time live demos at siggraph next week so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

Startups sometimes sound a whole lot like the employment version of Russian roulette.

Holy poo poo that was something to read :allbuttons:

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Loezi posted:

Holy poo poo that was something to read :allbuttons:

that lawsuit is like aliens vs. predator - whoever wins we lose.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

that lawsuit is like aliens vs. predator - whoever wins we lose.

(to clarify, yes, dr. li comes off as a huge major league tech bro douchebag, and should definitely lose, possibly go to jail and be ripped of his academic credentials. however - dr. sadeghi didn't immediately resign when he saw this poo poo, he was trying to work with the company and go over dr. li's board of directors, it feels like he is being spiteful just because they broke his stupid little statue, rather than doing this out of an ethical motivation. it does not look good to bring this up after participating in the faked demo, then getting fired!)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

(to clarify, yes, dr. li comes off as a huge major league tech bro douchebag, and should definitely lose, possibly go to jail and be ripped of his academic credentials. however - dr. sadeghi didn't immediately resign when he saw this poo poo, he was trying to work with the company and go over dr. li's board of directors, it feels like he is being spiteful just because they broke his stupid little statue, rather than doing this out of an ethical motivation. it does not look good to bring this up after participating in the faked demo, then getting fired!)

If I'm reading and understanding it right, he was on vacation during the faked demo.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

If I'm reading and understanding it right, he was on vacation during the faked demo.

it's true, but

a) he knew what was going on before:

quote:

On May 23, 2017, Sadeghi confronted Li regarding the data fabrication and academic misconduct committed in Pinscreen’s SIGGRAPH Asia 2017 Technical Papers submission. Li stated that he wanted “Pinscreen to be the first” in research and the industry. Li claimed that by the time of the conference, in November of 2017, Pinscreen would have had a public product launch and would have achieved Li’s embellished claims in the submission. Sadeghi asked Li, “what if for unforeseeable reasons we don’t have everything by then?” Li promised Sadeghi that Pinscreen’s data fabrication would be limited to nonpublic representations and never shown in public and stated:

Arguably (possibly unjustly) he wasn't even fired for being a whistle-blower because he didn't bring this poo poo up outside the company until after he got fired.

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 10, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Xerophyte posted:

startups loving suck dont work for one

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

I love grading student assignments...

code:
{'end': word[-1]  if len(word)>3 else word[2:4] if len(word)>2 else word[1:3] if len(word)>1 else word[0:2] if len(word)>0 else word[0],
'endgram1': word[-2:]  if len(word)>2 else word[-1]  if len(word)>3 else word[2:4] if len(word)>2 else word[1:3] if len(word)>1 else word[0:2] if len(word)>0 else word[0],
'endgram2': word[-3:-1] if len(word)>1 else word[-2:]  if len(word)>2 else word[-1]  if len(word)>3 else word[2:4] if len(word)>2 else word[1:3] if len(word)>1 else word[0:2] if len(word)>0 else word[0],
'endgram3': word[-4:-2] if len(word)>0 else word[-3:-1] if len(word)>1 else word[-2:]  if len(word)>2 else word[-1]  if len(word)>3 else word[2:4] if len(word)>2 else word[1:3] if len(word)>1 else word[0:2] if len(word)>0 else word[0]}

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Munkeymon posted:

I saw their presentation at last year's siggraph and Sadeghi was there running parts of the real-time demo that supposedly used his hair tech (it's this one). He had to know that the photo-to-avatar part was fake if that's the case. Assuming he's telling the truth he at least went along with the scheme, including presenting it to a few thousand people, until they fired him. It isn't a great look.

Still, I can buy that his main motivation is not wanting to lose his job. Li seems like an irredeemable scumbag if at least half the screenshots are non-doctored, in comparison.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Xerophyte posted:

Still, I can buy that his main motivation is not wanting to lose his job. Li seems like an irredeemable scumbag if at least half the screenshots are non-doctored, in comparison.

yeah but dr. sadheghi could probably just walk into any software company on earth and be like "make me a director of engineering and pay me an ungodly salary" and they'd do it without an interview, he didn't need to deal with this crap. dude must really like to make computers draw hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The only computer hair I trust are stylized cartoon variants, like 90s adventure games. Carefully detailed, physically responsive computer hair is egregious sin or corporate deceit.