Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shirec posted:

Oh man I started pair programming today and I don’t understand anything. Imposter syndrome ahoy (even after I explained what you’d use Redis for to another coworker who had questions). I need to brush up on Ruby, and really regret having a Windows laptop at home haha

Install the windows Linux subsystem and ruby mine at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Im more shadowing than true pair programming at the moment. Its a huge codebase, but they seem to have a good structure to how they build up the difficulty in tasks.

Man everyone on my team is really good with keyboard shortcuts though and Im feeling inadequate haha

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Shirec posted:

I’m more shadowing than true pair programming at the moment. It’s a huge codebase, but they seem to have a good structure to how they build up the difficulty in tasks.

Man everyone on my team is really good with keyboard shortcuts though and I’m feeling inadequate haha

I wonder if you're working on the same team as my buddy who works there and is a vim master.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My response to the vim wizards and their keyboard teleports and their productivity.

YAGNI

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

I wonder if you're working on the same team as my buddy who works there and is a vim master.

I have heard tale of at least one person on my team that is all about VIM so chances are high.

Our wiki is funny because you can use whatever IDE and the Eclipse section was like Thats a weird choice but whatever

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I will never understand the gigantic boner my company has for syncing. We have all sorts of syncing mechanisms to keep various systems in parity with each other, which inevitably becomes more complex than it needs to be and leads to dumb problems that could have been avoided. Am I just being too critical for thinking having to sync between a bunch of different systems is some sort of smell?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I will never understand the gigantic boner my company has for syncing. We have all sorts of syncing mechanisms to keep various systems in parity with each other, which inevitably becomes more complex than it needs to be and leads to dumb problems that could have been avoided. Am I just being too critical for thinking having to sync between a bunch of different systems is some sort of smell?

You'd probably have to provide some more examples as to what you're syncing, what the different systems do, what the dumb problems are etc...

Generally there's not a large amount of syncing of disparate systems, there may be caching of requests, but not full on syncs. But what I'm imagining and what you're talking about could be vastly different. (IE: We have a database that an app server talks to, we don't sync account changes to each app server but we may cache that on the app server.)

However we do sync Linux accounts to each linux system in dev and not use a unified AD/LDAP solution.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Pair programming takes several weeks of basically full-time application to get used to.

Does pair programming really offer advantages? I've never done it, and to me it sounds awkward (like forgetting how to type when someone is studying everything you write), and.... unhelpful. If the purpose is learning a complex codebase I'd rather spend some time myself digging through and asking periodic questions than watch someone else writing within it.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

How often do people do pair programming? I've done it one time since I graduated bootcamp 2 years ago.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's exclusive to pairing but I've found it very useful to forming dependable relationships/mindshare, making predictable progress and softening learning curves.

I do a lot better with a pair sharing the focus, interest and accountability for our work.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pair programming is useful in circumstances where you're trying to do something in a hurry that both people only know part of. A long time ago I did it for a complicated authentication/authorization flow where I knew the business logic very well and the other guy knew the code, and we didn't have time for either of us to pick up the other part.

However, if you do it right, it's much more demanding than programming on your own. You can't let your mind wander or go off to check Facebook or anything like that--it's eyes on the code the whole time you're doing it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Taffer posted:

Does pair programming really offer advantages? I've never done it, and to me it sounds awkward (like forgetting how to type when someone is studying everything you write), and.... unhelpful. If the purpose is learning a complex codebase I'd rather spend some time myself digging through and asking periodic questions than watch someone else writing within it.

Most code quality metrics have been found to be proportional to the frequency of code reviews, and pair programming is effectively continuous code review, so it's been linked in some studies to better output, to the extent that the measurement is worthwhile. Anecdotally, I find that when pair programming, I get distracted from work far less often and for shorter periods of time, and having somebody at hand to talk through problems with, help remember context, and catch simple typing errors makes things go more smoothly. Pairing with someone who has different stylistic tendencies than me makes sure that both our bad habits are curbed.

Downsides include: It is not suitable for all kinds of task. Research is much better done solo, and for sufficiently trivial tasks it's overkill. It can be exhausting, not just from an introvert social stamina standpoint but in terms of actual mental energy, until you get used to it, and it's always going to suck if you positively don't want to do it but are forced to. There are a lot of small details about the logistics of the process that can make it miserable. It can create noise problems.

I pair program all day most days.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

E: nah

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 9, 2018

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

How often do people do pair programming? I've done it one time since I graduated bootcamp 2 years ago.

Team: "ConcurrentModificationException what the gently caress?"

Me: "I told you that would happen! So build not remove from your list."

We're dealing with 10 records, efficiency doesn't matter at the moment.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Shirec posted:

Im more shadowing than true pair programming at the moment. Its a huge codebase, but they seem to have a good structure to how they build up the difficulty in tasks.

Man everyone on my team is really good with keyboard shortcuts though and Im feeling inadequate haha

i pair sometimes with my manager and he gets super frustrated that i know approximately zero keyboard shortcuts. everytime i right click and bring up the context menu to find 'Declaration' in intellij i can feel him die a little bit

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Just remind all those shortcut jockeys that the faster you type the faster you make mistakes.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

the talent deficit posted:

i pair sometimes with my manager and he gets super frustrated that i know approximately zero keyboard shortcuts. everytime i right click and bring up the context menu to find 'Declaration' in intellij i can feel him die a little bit

https://resources.jetbrains.com/storage/products/intellij-idea/docs/IntelliJIDEA_ReferenceCard.pdf
https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/9792-key-promoter-x

On the topic of share your fav intellij plugin:
https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/8575-nyan-progress-bar

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Slimy Hog posted:

Sorry you're right, you're the one I was talking about, but my comment about how you portrayed your new company still stands.

Sounds like you just hate fun tbh.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
We often pair program when developing new features. Its helpful having to explain my choices instead of writing the first thing that comes to mind.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I can never get my head around how pair programming is ever in any way efficient. I can see it as a useful learning/teaching tool but I hear of places that do it as a norm.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

As long as there's always a single source of truth it's fine, if there's not... yikes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shirec posted:

Man everyone on my team is really good with keyboard shortcuts though and I’m feeling inadequate haha

Just remember, everyone has their own way of doing things, and not using keyboard shortcuts and chords isn't wrong. It's helpful to learn the shortcuts but you can still be quite effective just using the mouse and menus and GUIs.

Shirec posted:

Our wiki is funny because you can use whatever IDE and the Eclipse section was like “That’s a weird choice but whatever”

I'm not sure what you're working in, but IntelliJ seems to be better in every area without exception, at least for every application I've looked at. It might be worth your while to look at that.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I can confirm that IntelliJ is cool and good and easily surpasses things like Visual Studio and (low bar) Eclipse.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

E: nah

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 9, 2018

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

no one should be allowed to feel superior about their keyboard shortcut capabilities in an editor

unless that editor is vim or emacs of course :smugbird:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The only vim shortcut you need: <Esc> <Esc> <Esc> <Esc> :q! <Enter>

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm no shortcut evangelist but this is just sickening. Grounds for firing imo

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Mega Comrade posted:

I can never get my head around how pair programming is ever in any way efficient. I can see it as a useful learning/teaching tool but I hear of places that do it as a norm.

Pair programming is possible to do poorly, and for certain types of tasks it's not going to work efficiently even if you do it properly, but:

- Like someone mentioned, it's effectively continuous code review. Changes made early are quicker to make than changes made later.

- People know different tools or parts of the codebase. Not having to go down the rabbit hole of how to invoke a certain utility or how some component works saves time.

- Related to the above, sharing knowledge about your codebase saves time _in the long run_. This is the big one for me. If everyone on your team is capable of picking up any task from the backlog, you are never blocked by someone being unavailable, sick, on vacation, etc.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

CPColin posted:

The only vim shortcut you need: <Esc> <Esc> <Esc> <Esc> :q! <Enter>

My <Esc> key in vim is mapped to insert ### STOP USING ESCAPE ###

It helped me get used to the more efficient method of leaving insert mode put in my .vimrc rather quickly.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

comedyblissoption posted:

no one should be allowed to feel superior about their keyboard shortcut capabilities in an editor

unless that editor is emacs of course :smugbird:

Also yeah Im one of those people that gets really twitchy while pairing with someone who has to hunt and click every god damned menu

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I'm not sure what you're working in, but IntelliJ seems to be better in every area without exception, at least for every application I've looked at. It might be worth your while to look at that.

Im using Ruby Mine, which is the Ruby version of IntelliJ as far as I know? Not that Ive used it yet, shadowing again today. The nice thing is there are quite a few folks on my team that are new as well so I dont feel as far behind.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Phobeste posted:

Also yeah Im one of those people that gets really twitchy while pairing with someone who has to hunt and click every god damned menu

Sometimes I type google into the search bar in chrome

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Portland Sucks posted:

Sometimes I type google into the search bar in chrome

Thats fine as long as you do it FAST

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Whats pair programming called when its three people?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
mob programming

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I feel the opposite way about people who do use keyboard shortcuts when pair programming. I can't tell what they're trying to do when they use shortcuts which is really annoying.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

mnage trois de codage

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
How about people who only ever scroll by dragging the scroll bar? Like, even if their hands are already on the keyboard, where they can hit an arrow or Page key? And even if their mouse has had a scroll wheel for the past decade?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CPColin posted:

How about people who only ever scroll by dragging the scroll bar? Like, even if their hands are already on the keyboard, where they can hit an arrow or Page key? And even if their mouse has had a scroll wheel for the past decade?

To be fair, if you use a code preview scrollbar (like sublime), this is acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

crowd programming

IMO