Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If that's the PSP version, it's the definitive version of 2D FF4. You can safely ignore the small side-story, and the sequel will depend on how much you like the gameplay and how stupid you like your stories.

But give FF4 a whirl, it's still pretty good for being over 25 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

Joe Mad was missing his comic book deadlines because he was playing too much Final Fantasy.

How's the FFIV complete collection? Never played FFIV in any capacity, but Cecil and Kain look like cool dudes.

The PSP collection? The best way to play some Final Fantasy IV.

It's also the best way to play some After Years. But, I mean, it's still The After Years.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bloom posted:

Even with everything that got cut out Soul Reaver was really impressive for its time. I may be biased because I was in my early teens at the time, but the PSX era really stands out as a time when big name developers would still take risks on weird ambitious projects instead of playing things as safe as possible like they do these days.

I don't know much about FFX's development but I'll always love the buff Tidus concept art that popped up in some gaming magazine(s) back in the day

Ken and Chun-Li looking p good

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr. Locke posted:

It's also the best way to play some After Years. But, I mean, it's still The After Years.

Is it a good game though? I haven't played any Final Fantasy before 6 (besides a little of the original as a kid on NES), and just want to make sure I'm not signing up for a grindfest or otherwise boring rear end game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is it a good game though? I haven't played any Final Fantasy before 6 (besides a little of the original as a kid on NES), and just want to make sure I'm not signing up for a grindfest or otherwise boring rear end game.

IV is the game most similar to VI out of 1-5. Youll have no control over party composition and theres less character customization, but everything else will be instantly transferrable.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Final Fantasy IV is a fun and breezy experience. It's got some of the silliest melodrama in the series, but the combat's solid, the game keeps rotating characters into and out of your party to keep things fresh, the bosses are more like puzzles then stat walls, and the whole thing might take you ten hours if you take your time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, Tidus is already buff. He's a professional athlete who wanders around in an outfit designed to show off his muscles.

What that picture is is a square-jawed Tidus.

(This is kind of like how people describe the blood elves in WoW as "wispy" when they're actually incredibly muscular, just slightly more proportioned than the gorilla-like human models.)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So I started replaying FFX. The characters still look ridiculous.

I do appreciate the pacing tho. The trip from Zanarkand to Besaid is actually pretty cool and seeing that lush lagoon felt really nice.

Maybe it has to do with the awkward dialogue but I'm not really feeling story. But I like the journey if that makes sense. Similarly I dont really care about the obviously half finished story in Zodiac Age or FFXV. I just want to go on an adventure.

Now let's see if I can get to Kilika.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Locke posted:

The best way to play The After Years is don't. Maybe read an LP but it's literally a bad wankfest of a fangame.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The main villain of the game is the Pillsbury Dough Boy. How good or bad that is depends on you.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr. Locke posted:

Final Fantasy IV is a fun and breezy experience. It's got some of the silliest melodrama in the series, but the combat's solid, the game keeps rotating characters into and out of your party to keep things fresh, the bosses are more like puzzles then stat walls, and the whole thing might take you ten hours if you take your time.

That's what I wanted to hear. My filthy casual rear end needs something to play before bedtime.

Anybody else get the Ultimania collection? Thing is gorgeous. FF 4 and 6 are standouts.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

WaltherFeng posted:

the obviously half finished story in Zodiac Age

lol what

(Complete agreement re: FF15, obviously)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Instant Grat posted:

lol what

This is not a new thing, FFXII was the first of the Square "Leave half the game on the cutting room floor because we're way late in the development." It's just better edited together.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Onmi posted:

This is not a new thing, FFXII was the first of the Square "Leave half the game on the cutting room floor because we're way late in the development." It's just better edited together.

I'll say. I felt it was pretty cohesive? Just a lot more high-concept than something like 9 or 10, obviously

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Onmi posted:

It starts to get pretty obvious some things were beginning to get stitched together around the time you get to Archades. Like, they had already designed the major set pieces for the latter half of the game, and had to very quickly string them together either with unvoiced cutscenes, “let’s follow Cid!”, or padding out time with the Pharos.

It’s still a fantastic game though.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

HD DAD posted:

It starts to get pretty obvious some things were beginning to get stitched together around the time you get to Archades. Like, they had already designed the major set pieces for the latter half of the game, and had to very quickly string them together either with unvoiced cutscenes, “let’s follow Cid!”, or padding out time with the Pharos.

It’s still a fantastic game though.

It's better than being told major events while looking at a rocking chair.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd rather that than the last couple of dungeons in FF12.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The mandatory bits of The Great Crystal are less awful than they first appear.

The upper layers are horribly designed, and doing them without a map from the internet is basically impossible, though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
a lot of character stuff wound up on the floor as well, like if you were saying "Man, Penelo has like no real character" that's mostly to do with the fact that all the Penelo related character stuff was kind of just cut and left on the floor. The majority of that stuff was picked up and shifted into the Sequel, Revenant Wings, as was everything to do with Kytes and Filo.

One can argue it was for the best, since it kept things relatively focused, but well, at one point they planned for Airship combat and a host of other stuff.

And for the record, we aren't talking about Vaan, the game was very much in concept when Vaan was added to the playable cast, no actual programming work had been started.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They should do an interweb poll and see if people want Penelo's story added as Chapter Penelo DLC

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Instant Grat posted:

The upper layers are horribly designed, and doing them without a map from the internet is basically impossible, though.
In the years since I played the PS2 release I couldn't figure out why I rushed through the last quarter of the game and stopped doing the hunts, etc. Then I got there in the Steam release and did the exact same thing. I HATED The Great Crystal and the moment I realized I missed a bunch of spells/techniques in there I wrapped up the story and uninstalled.

Even more so than FF13, 12 is a game I want to like, but just can't due to these rushed-feeling areas.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

lol what

Yasumi Matsuno was one of the writers for FFXII but had to leave the project due to health issues.

You can tell his influence on the first half of the game when there's like a dozen different conspiracies to keep track of but then they just fizzle out way before the game actually ends.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

WaltherFeng posted:

Yasumi Matsuno was one of the writers for FFXII but had to leave the project due to health issues.

He died?

I'm making a bad joke about Japanese corporate life.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Matsuno is very much still alive

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Instant Grat posted:

they still really blow

my favorite is the artificial padding by design where visually you could just walk down the slopes in great crystal but in terms of map design you can't, they're unwalkable terrain and you have to go down a series of switchback hallways instead

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is there any Final Fantasy scene as impactful as the end of yorha?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Gologle posted:

Can you summarize it for us non mmo-players?

something is wrong with me. send help.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 8, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the best scene in a jrpg is when armic from unlimited saga forgives the antagonist because genocide is basically the same as fighting over fish

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

lobster22221 posted:

Can you summarize it for us non mmo-players?

:yikes:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Is that a summary, or a reaction to my question/the way I phrased it?

nvm I am an idiot.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 8, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Nier 2 has always been my favorite mmo

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Oh dammit. I could of sworn I googled it and had final fantasy 14 results. What the hell did I search last night?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Gologle posted:

What about the scene where Prompto is revealed to be a whatever and no one cares and it literally never comes up again. Impactful.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

What about the scene where Prompto is revealed to be a whatever and no one cares and it literally never comes up again. Impactful.

The word you're looking for is former fatboy and I agree they should've gone back and addressed it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

WaltherFeng posted:

You can tell his influence on the first half of the game when there's like a dozen different conspiracies to keep track of but then they just fizzle out way before the game actually ends.

I dunno, "half a dozen conspiracy theories to keep track of that fizzle out and you just fight some demons" is how a lot of Matsuno stories go.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MarsDragon posted:

I dunno, "half a dozen conspiracy theories to keep track of that fizzle out and you just fight some demons" is how a lot of Matsuno stories go.

yeah this is... well, if he left when the story was only half finished, they definitely nailed the formula after he was gone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe he never played tactics Ogre

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Saint Freak posted:

To be somewhat fair, playing Episode Prompto first (as this thread recommended) makes that scene a meaningful and sweet conclusion to Prompto's character arc.

Would've been a baffling wreck of a non-plot point without that DLC, though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

You got me there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"We can solve this gordian tangle of intrigue through diplomacy!"
"Vayne just killed all the other factions at the start of act 2. Diplomacy has failed."
"Oh. You said something about magical nukes? Let's do that then."