Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Retardog posted:

It was pretty refreshing to hear our chaplain tell everyone in the suicide prevention class this weekend that most of the time when people come to him with their problems that he doesn’t care

what the gently caress chaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

He was trying to get across the message that caring is hard, especially when you’ve got difficulties in your own life that are even worse than what people come to you with, but that we’ve got to try harder and do better at listening to our friends and loved ones. I appreciated his honesty.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
mods changed my name has a good point, but also goons peeing in the well. I think the thread wouldn't dogpile Mustang so much if he hadn't crowed for over a year about his experience was different than everyone else's. I agree that we probably don't need to throw his one last safe space (lol) into a harassment zone, but I think there would be more compassion without the smugness. The Army loves to watch smugness get thrown out in the mud for the day, healthy or otherwise.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I got one of the battalion wide text messages that they send out every once in a while yesterday. Usually it's the BC saying something about training or a holiday. That one yesterday was some private who got killed. Sucks that was the message I had to use to unsubscribe to those messages, but not my problem anymore.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Retardog posted:

He was trying to get across the message that caring is hard, especially when you’ve got difficulties in your own life that are even worse than what people come to you with, but that we’ve got to try harder and do better at listening to our friends and loved ones. I appreciated his honesty.

Oh ok.

E: yeah that's totally different from the first statement. When you put it that way, that makes sense and thats a decent message. The way your first put it made it sound like Chaps was like "heh, gently caress you guys."

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 6, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

its curtains for Kevin posted:

mods changed my name has a good point, but also goons peeing in the well. I think the thread wouldn't dogpile Mustang so much if he hadn't crowed for over a year about his experience was different than everyone else's. I agree that we probably don't need to throw his one last safe space (lol) into a harassment zone, but I think there would be more compassion without the smugness. The Army loves to watch smugness get thrown out in the mud for the day, healthy or otherwise.

yeah i mean i do like making jokes at Mustang's expense because of that, but I also don't want dude to be miserable either

i may have overdone it today though so sorry

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Posts on the internet don't really bother me, the Army feeling entitled to all of my time however does

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I mean at some point Mustang will get out and transition from being the butt of our jokes to insulting whatever unfortunate soul happens to be the GiPer currently in the Army at that point in time.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

DoktorLoken posted:

I mean at some point Mustang will get out and transition from being the butt of our jokes to insulting whatever unfortunate soul happens to be the GiPer currently in the Army at that point in time.

I would volunteer but I'm only going to be in the reserves and nobody really knows me so I don't think it would work out. Hang in there, LT Mustang.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Mustang posted:

Posts on the internet don't really bother me, the Army feeling entitled to all of my time however does

Dude, I was there once. It sucks, but I'll always remember a thing that happened to me at OCS. We were waiting for our cycle to begin, painting the basic phase stripes on the sidewalk. Some senior phase candidate looked down at us and said, "Remember, they can't stop time."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

DoktorLoken posted:

Thats what happened to me

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

lol if you're at Drum:

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/news03/trump-to-visit-fort-drum-sign-national-defense-authorization-act--20180807

quote:

The White House confirmed to the Times on Tuesday afternoon that President Donald J. Trump will be visiting Fort Drum on Monday to hold a signing ceremony for H.R. 5515, the John McCain National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2019.

Mr. Trump will also deliver remarks during the visit.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

At least survivor benefits made it into an amendment to the bill.

quote:

Expresses the sense of Congress stating that under the special survivor indemnity allowance, surviving spouses and dependent children of members who die of a service-connected cause will not be subject to a full offset of survivor benefit plan payments by dependency and indemnity compensation, commonly referred to as the "widows' tax".

Hooray, thoughts and prayers.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Huh. I thought there was no possible way of making Drum worse.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I'm trying to think of something

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I was going to say full on anarchy and making it into a 24/7 purge situation but that would be an improvement

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Moving jump school to drum maybe

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Full mopp-4 required at all times

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
work had drum on the shortlist for a conference location because 'hey, it's free' and then i showed them were drum actually is

they thought it was like right outside nyc

disaster averted

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

It's as close to NYC as Dix

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Drum is a depressing place where I would stare out into the driving snow wondering if that was the 300m target or the only bit of green in that frozen hellhole.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
CJ Chivers, who won a Pulitzer for his piece "The Fighter," wrote a new book. An adapted chunk is in the NYT Magazine, and it's an excellent long read: War Without End.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
aaaaaaahahahahahahahaha

THEY'RE BLANKS

e: not gonna name the unit, but it's on the USA WTF page and oh boy

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I feel bad for the NCO who had his address, phone number, SSN, and leave dates mass-blasted to everyone in the army today. That was a weird Email to receive.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Martello made the news. What a lovely situation.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 9, 2018

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

I feel bad for the NCO who had his address, phone number, SSN, and leave dates mass-blasted to everyone in the army today. That was a weird Email to receive.

Eh, just one more time his information was exposed by the Army. At this point, throw it on the pile.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Naked Bear posted:

aaaaaaahahahahahahahaha

THEY'RE BLANKS

e: not gonna name the unit, but it's on the USA WTF page and oh boy

Awesome

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

I was disappointed nobody clicked respond all

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The ammo thing is also something everybody on JBLM does because our ASP is ran by giant assholes that hate soldiers

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Kaliber posted:

Martello made the news. What a lovely situation.

Wait, what?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

He’s a cop now and is being charged with voluntary man slaughter.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Kaliber posted:

link bitch

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kaliber posted:

Crap, I thought you posted a look-alike and I didn't realize that was actually him. :(

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
He went from a career in smoking pipes to smoking minorities

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

https://www.policeone.com/officer-shootings/articles/478908006-Rookie-LEO-charged-with-voluntary-manslaughter-in-OIS/

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Ah, poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

I was disappointed nobody clicked respond all

Pretty sure you simply can't "reply all" such god-level Enterprise fuckups.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mlmp08 posted:

Pretty sure you simply can't "reply all" such god-level Enterprise fuckups.

Do you not remember the dude who needed help with deers our some poo poo killing the whole Army's inboxes?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Well gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Holy poo poo at martello, hope he rots in prison though