Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Desert Storm.

Extremely interesting definition of "win" considering the entire history of Iraq and the US since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

I know this gets trotted out a lot in these kinds of threads, but Pentagon Wars is a great little movie about the (malevolent) incompetence of the defense sector. I believe it is on Prime (lol) if you want to check the full thing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Extremely interesting definition of "win" considering the entire history of Iraq and the US since then.

It's an economic stimulus package.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I took my turn in the sandbox, I'm well aware of the history since then. Desert Storm was the last time we successfully pulled something off on the world stage and promptly hosed mostly off until Dubya thought he could finish his fathers' job. No-fly zones and contiually stationed troops in KSA or Kuwait were the insurance policy set into motion after the war.

I'll grant it wasn't a big war, but it's generally acknowledged as a victory because Bush Sr didn't push for regime change and occupation, like Jr did by sticking his presidential dick in the hive and then slingin' around his honey dick to splatter everyone else within pissing distance.

Face it, we won Desert Storm. We hosed the pooch royally in OIF.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

but think of what a good blubbering bullet sponge he would be, take that john j capitalism, owner of capitalism

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

don't doxx me

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the lumpy-proletariat

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

The rascal diaries

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

We're good at winning fights, it's the occupying we're terrible at.

and all for the low, low price of around 50 billion more than the next seven largest militaries combined.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ekuNNN posted:

and all for the low, low price of around 50 billion more than the next seven largest militaries combined.

how very capitalist of you comrade

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

We absolutely failed (continue to fail) at the politics of "winning" wars. But poo poo, we were killing those soviet style fighters by the literal truckload for every one of ours who got iced.

Pretty sure most of the enemy tank crews we killed didn't even see it coming.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amateur Saboteur has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Sep 8, 2018

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

g0lbez posted:

someone prove me wrong with statistics saying facebook use is spiraling down recently so I can feel good about something please

Here's something at least I guess

https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-120-billion-market-cap-loss-comparison-intel-microsoft-apple-2018-7

quote:

Facebook’s $120 billion stock hit was the biggest single-day loss in US history

:shrug:

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

Freeze the means of reproduction.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

The Skeleton King posted:

Winning wars since 1775, lol. The US hasn’t seen an actual victory since Japan in 1945.

bullshit. we dunked on grenada p drat hard AND rescued some co-eds! oooo loving rah!

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
the us won more or less every actual military battle in the vietnam war, still lost though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dave Concepcion posted:

the us won more or less every actual military battle in the vietnam war, still lost though

What's it called when you manage to do worse than Pyrrhos?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Stexils posted:

the lumpy-proletariat

Give that man the thousand dollars.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's it called when you manage to do worse than Pyrrhos?

Nixonian Victory.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

The Tube is fantastic for this kind of stuff

“The poor are just lazy and need to work harder”
“Also I deserve to increase my profit yield while literally doing nothing at all”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Okay, that's bizarre. I could have sworn I read the rest of the page before going back and asking that.

S'all good bud :hfive:

Does anyone still have that zenpencils comic with this edited into it, I can't find it

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Butter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

West coast best coast :getin:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
what. butter comes in different standard sizes? huh

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

38 cents of plastic, yours for only $17.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I took my turn in the sandbox, I'm well aware of the history since then. Desert Storm was the last time we successfully pulled something off on the world stage and promptly hosed mostly off until Dubya thought he could finish his fathers' job. No-fly zones and contiually stationed troops in KSA or Kuwait were the insurance policy set into motion after the war.

I'll grant it wasn't a big war, but it's generally acknowledged as a victory because Bush Sr didn't push for regime change and occupation, like Jr did by sticking his presidential dick in the hive and then slingin' around his honey dick to splatter everyone else within pissing distance.

Face it, we won Desert Storm. We hosed the pooch royally in OIF.

Lol

i did my time in the sandbox! the suck is reeeeal!! :qq::gooncamp:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
UuuUG HUHUH I loving wish there was a way to measure butter easier fuuuuck THERE MUST BE A BETTER WAY

*butter slice'n'measure knife descends from heavens*

Thanks the gods now I can throw the butter packaging out with the measurements already labeled and use this knife instead

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kazak posted:

Lol

i did my time in the sandbox! the suck is reeeeal!! :qq::gooncamp:

Yeah you tell that cuck, right? TRUMP!

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah you tell that cuck, right? TRUMP!

Listen here you little poo poo I humped and dumped loads on the Kuwaiti border precisely so you could mouth off on the internet

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

DrPossum posted:

ok back to my job of slashing up designer clothes we're throwing out so the homeless don't wear them

Reminds me of when I worked at a bookstore, and we'd rip up the old mass market paperbacks and rip off the cover. Throw the torn up book in the recycling bin, send the cover back to the publisher. We might think the book is worthless, but we should also prevent anyone from reading it!

:smith:

:eng101: this is why mass market paperbacks have that line in the front of notifying the publisher if you got the book without a cover! :eng101:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Stripping.jpg

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snuffman posted:

Reminds me of when I worked at a bookstore, and we'd rip up the old mass market paperbacks and rip off the cover. Throw the torn up book in the recycling bin, send the cover back to the publisher. We might think the book is worthless, but we should also prevent anyone from reading it!

:smith:

:eng101: this is why mass market paperbacks have that line in the front of notifying the publisher if you got the book without a cover! :eng101:

I'm upset at how mass market paperback is being phased out in favor of trade paperback or whatever abomination those mass-market-width-but-the-height-of-trade-paperback abortions are.

Trade paperbacks are the worst of both worlds and twice the price

but our margins

gently caress you!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

arguably better than putting it into a 529

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I'm upset at how mass market paperback is being phased out in favor of trade paperback or whatever abomination those mass-market-width-but-the-height-of-trade-paperback abortions are.

Trade paperbacks are the worst of both worlds and twice the price

but our margins

gently caress you!

good. phase it all out for digital

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Nobody answered whether that leaving shoes in front of poor kids thing was a joke so I looked it up and of course it's real. Of course

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

boar guy posted:

good. phase it all out for digital
Digital has its place but physical books are cool and good

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Digital has its place but physical books are cool and good

wasteful and obsolete, imho, but to each their own

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

You can only contribute to an IRA if you have declared earned income, better file your taxes kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
All capitalism aside, investing a few grand for your kid at birth is probably one of the nicest things you can do for its future.