Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Brown Moses posted:

The Washington Post did a piece on Bellingcat and Russia's attacks on our work, all of which suck, "A dispatch from the fight against Russian disinformation — and a place where truth is winning, it has a particularly good kicker:
funny you should mention...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Why, yes, of course, that makes sense.

I mean for them it probably makes perfect sense, it represents an authoritarian, strong and assertive Russia.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

funny you should mention...

Look the "Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams"-level :beck: going on.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Horseshoe theory posted:

Look the "Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams"-level :beck: going on.

I wish the trial is going to shut these people up, but they'll just see it as part of the conspiracy against Russia.

Speaking of which, guess who has come home?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7LlZ5mHjqI

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 29, 2018

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Oh good, now he can gaslight in his own country for a while.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
Dutch freighter detained by Russian coast guard in sea of Azov, seems to be part of the ongoing blockade of Ukrainian Azov ports.

http://maritimebulletin.net/2018/07/24/dutch-freighter-detained-and-harassed-by-russia-whats-going-on-in-azov-sea/

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HorrificExistence posted:

Dutch freighter detained by Russian coast guard in sea of Azov, seems to be part of the ongoing blockade of Ukrainian Azov ports.

http://maritimebulletin.net/2018/07/24/dutch-freighter-detained-and-harassed-by-russia-whats-going-on-in-azov-sea/

Article 5 baby here we come

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

LeoMarr posted:

It's the Netherlands. They'll probably hold a referedundum to leave EU and NATO instead.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

LeoMarr posted:

not quite, a blockade is only an act of war for the receiving country,

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-defense/2504381-nato-can-respond-to-russian-blockade-of-azov-sea-commander-boots.html

this basically sums it up

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Any thoughts from you guys on Mikhail's Dossier Center thing? They're starting to publish more now, and have claimed Putin aligned mercenaries killed three of their reporters in Africa.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
I like this take

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1024511674529865729
https://mobile.twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1024516729051983872

There was also an article on a CAR local news site yesterday that the russian mercs killed a local and there were riots by the locals to get the mercs to leave, but it was deleted
https://web.archive.org/web/2018073...-aurait-ete-tue

Basically good luck finding out the truth.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/arictoler/status/1025404059040342017?s=21

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

FAKE NEWS! Washington Post is trolling me :qq:

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
lol this owns
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/22600/russia-cant-afford-its-new-t-14-armata-tanks-turns-to-updated-older-designs-instead

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

quote:

Well, why flood the all Armed Forces with the Armata tanks, we have the T-72s in great demand in the market, they take it all, compared to the Abrams, Leclercs and Leopards, for their price, efficiency, and quality.
Sure, just ask Iraqis that fought in '91. Wait, you can't.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Sure, just ask Iraqis that fought in '91. Wait, you can't.

There's a world of difference between the upgraded modern T72s of today and the crappy export models the Iraqis used back in desert Storm.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

There's a world of difference between the upgraded modern T72s of today and the crappy export models the Iraqis used back in desert Storm.

There's also a world of difference between the upgraded modern threats of today a T-72 might face and the now-crappy mid-80's models of vehicles and weapons the coalition used back in desert storm. In both cases the T-72 export model is about 15-20 years behind the technology curve.

The T-72BU/T-90 was developed in the late 80's, to incorporate design features of the mid-80's T-80U in an economical way. There have been evolutionary improvements to it since the original production, but many are not on the export models and overall these have been limited in scope by the chassis dimensions, weight limitations, and autoloader design (this has limited the length of kinetic projectiles).

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 4, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
BM, do you have some sort of contingency plan in place for bellingcat when you get tea'd?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

You know the Soviets never really deliberately made crappy export models. With some of the early tanks of the post-war years I think they did however make reserve versions based on lessons from WW2 where they discovered that in a full on total war, tanks don't last that long, so no component part of the tank needs to be rated to last longer or be of such a high quality that the tank will never get a benefit from it. Once this view kind of faded away with peacetime these tanks were often either retired from service or exported to foreign countries. These are the so-called monkey models. I don't think there was ever a monkey model T-72, what the Iraqis got were earlier models, poor training and maintenance did the rest (Soviet tanks are not widely known for being very mechanically reliable*).

*Possibly excepting the T-54/55, that thing is basically the tank version of the AK-47 for ease of use and effectivness. The lack of reliabiltiy even goes for the T-34 despite the reputation of Russian ruggedness one would assume for what is commonly called the best tank of WW2. Though with the T-34 you should realize that this is in part deliberate due to the strategic concerns of the Soviet Union and the cost analysis that went into mass-producing it. The conclusion that the tank will not survive long at the front (and even shorter if actively engaged in combat) meant that the Soviets resorted to basically deprioritize most things about it except the essentials; sufficient engine power, armor and the effectiveness of its gun. They used low-quality materials and components elsewhere, replacing a tank was easier and cheaper than repairing a broken down one. Still when testing the T-34 sometime in '41 or '42 engineers and weapons development people in the US were kind of shocked at its mechanical deficiencies especially in regards to the transmission, the incredibly difficult to operate clutch and the suspension (from a report given by one of the Soviet officers who attended he quoted the Americans as having said regarding either the transmission or the suspension that it must have been designed by a fascist saboteur).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 4, 2018

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

BM, do you have some sort of contingency plan in place for bellingcat when you get tea'd?

I really should now I have employees to worry about.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Randarkman posted:

You know the Soviets never really deliberately made crappy export models. With some of the early tanks of the post-war years I think they did however make reserve versions based on lessons from WW2 where they discovered that in a full on total war, tanks don't last that long, so no component part of the tank needs to be rated to last longer or be of such a high quality that the tank will never get a benefit from it. Once this view kind of faded away with peacetime these tanks were often either retired from service or exported to foreign countries. These are the so-called monkey models. I don't think there was ever a monkey model T-72, what the Iraqis got were earlier models, poor training and maintenance did the rest (Soviet tanks are not widely known for being very mechanically reliable*).

*Possibly excepting the T-54/55, that thing is basically the tank version of the AK-47 for ease of use and effectivness. The lack of reliabiltiy even goes for the T-34 despite the reputation of Russian ruggedness one would assume for what is commonly called the best tank of WW2. Though with the T-34 you should realize that this is in part deliberate due to the strategic concerns of the Soviet Union and the cost analysis that went into mass-producing it. The conclusion that the tank will not survive long at the front (and even shorter if actively engaged in combat) meant that the Soviets resorted to basically deprioritize most things about it except the essentials; sufficient engine power, armor and the effectiveness of its gun. They used low-quality materials and components elsewhere, replacing a tank was easier and cheaper than repairing a broken down one. Still when testing the T-34 sometime in '41 or '42 engineers and weapons development people in the US were kind of shocked at its mechanical deficiencies especially in regards to the transmission, the incredibly difficult to operate clutch and the suspension (from a report given by one of the Soviet officers who attended he quoted the Americans as having said regarding either the transmission or the suspension that it must have been designed by a fascist saboteur).

The T-72 was actually marketed as a reserve version of the T-64/80 and developed along those lines all the way up to the mid 90's when the T-80 fell out of political favor. They'd implement a bunch of new tech in a brand new version of the T-64, then a few years later a T-72 update would come along incorporating some of those features - leaving out most of the really expensive and complicated stuff. They'd sell T-72's overseas that were basically one generation behind whatever was current production for the Red Army - so two iterations of tech behind the newest T-64 and T-80. The export models were actually more of less the same as what the majority of what the Red Army was using (and gradually replacing with a new version) when they were sold.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Does Russian military procurement differ significantly from how the Soviets did things, or are they still coasting along on old ideas? I've spent so much time researching Cold War era stuff I've never really considered how things changed after 1991.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Does Russian military procurement differ significantly from how the Soviets did things, or are they still coasting along on old ideas? I've spent so much time researching Cold War era stuff I've never really considered how things changed after 1991.

Quite a bit. Russia has a lot less cash to throw around than the Soviet Union did and even more corruption and graft built in. These days it's all about foreign sales to scare up quick cash, with a fuckload of resources devoted to advertising. Lots of hype, nebulous capabilities, and questionable quality control.

The Su-57 (PAK-FA) was basically a scam run on India. Russia will not be purchasing them and India finally backed out a few months ago to cut losses because it really was pretty much an Su-35 in a body kit.

They're also shifting away from the T-90 to focus on buying more T-72B3's (basically an economy model of the T-90A in the classic T-72 form), and may not buy any T-14s. Upgrades have been slow coming and not consistently applied due to costs - with the major stuff like Arena APS and the T-90MS turret bustle upgrades getting tons of media and internet attention (advertising) but not being adopted.

They still neglect the fleet like the Soviets did, though!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 4, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Warbadger posted:

They still neglect the fleet like the Soviets did, though!

I don't know, Admiral Kuznetsov looked quite impressive the last time it steamed out of the med.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Randarkman posted:

I don't know, Admiral Kuznetsov looked quite impressive the last time it steamed bunker oiled out of the med.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Brown Moses posted:

I really should now I have employees to worry about.

Hello friend, my name is Ivan Alexeiovich Smith. For very affordable price I will ensure smooth transition of Cat Being Given Bells. Please contact me at ias2011@fsb.ru

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1026858467397718017

From across the pond.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

uh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Somaen posted:

I like this take

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1024511674529865729
https://mobile.twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1024516729051983872

There was also an article on a CAR local news site yesterday that the russian mercs killed a local and there were riots by the locals to get the mercs to leave, but it was deleted
https://web.archive.org/web/2018073...-aurait-ete-tue

Basically good luck finding out the truth.

http://theeasternborder.lv/
The Eastern Border Podcast did an episode on this this week, i only listened to the start of it in the car on the way home today so i don't know what he says about it.
He did an interesting episode on Wagner a few months ago after the failed assault on that US base though so i'll listen to the rest on my way in in the morning.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Somaen posted:

I like this take

Why is "Wagner" in quotes? I thought that's what they called themselves.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

BattleMaster posted:

Why is "Wagner" in quotes? I thought that's what they called themselves.

Maybe he meant Wagner "mercs"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

this looks like it's going to be a thing.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Forcible, sexy reunification of Lithuania and Belarus??? :ohdear:

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

Discendo Vox posted:

Well... There's like two billboards that have this if I understand correctly: one in Berlin, one in London.

Although the big angst being raised about this is by conservatives, priests, various religious or family groups. Why? The pope's coming for a visit next month and only now it has been noticed. More than a half of a year later after it was kind of discussed upon.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So the G spot is located about a foot and a half above and slightly to the right of the head, gotch

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

So the G spot is located about a foot and a half above and slightly to the right of the head, gotch

‘Splains why it’s so hard to find for some folks.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
Russians moved their border with Georgia 2,600 feet this summer. That's a lot when you got a real slim country.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Russian Foreign Spokesperson responded to Suck-My-Balls-Gate:

quote:

Destructive activity of the Bellingcat group on social media

More criminal investigative activity from Bellingcat on social media. This is going over the top. We have commented on the activity of this private British group several times, the group that is conducting a so-called online investigation into the Malaysia Airlines Boeing crash over Ukraine. I would like to remind you that the group is known for striking conclusions on the cause of the crash that were based not on actual evidence but on questionable social media content. The group has planted information across the media space and the anti-Russian sentiment is running like a golden thread through these plants.

My personal observation is that the activity of these groups is similar. Bellingcat, White Helmets or the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (which is located not in Syria but in London) – they are all incredibly similar.

Recently, there was an outrageous incident that we cannot ignore – specifically, the completely caddish and disgraceful statements made by Bellingcat founder, British blogger Eliot Higgins. In early June, Dmitry Polyanskiy, First Deputy Permanent Representative to the Russian Federation in the UN, published a comment on his personal Twitter account, which he uses for commenting about foreign policy matters, among other things, regarding the memorial campaign for victims of the MH17 crash in the Netherlands, and expressed his hope for an open and unbiased investigation of the tragedy, with Russia’s participation. The diplomat stressed that the Joint Investigation Team and the Bellingcat private organisation are drawing conclusions in the Malaysia Airlines Boeing case based on unverified data. We have repeatedly expressed the same opinion. Most importantly, we provided facts. Specifically, we provided masses of material from the company involved, Almaz-Antey Concern. We provided physical evidence and re-enactments. Dozens of experts, not only from the public community but also those involved in respective scientific research, spoke on the matter.

In response to this, Eliot Higgins and his supporters started full-scale bullying of the Russian diplomat, down to personal insults using very specific offensive and inappropriate vocabulary. They went further to insult Russia in general.

Interestingly, some tweets disappeared after a time. They like deleting tweets in the UK. Remember the recent incident with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office?

Unfortunately, this story went beyond social media and was picked up by the Washington Post. On July 25, the media outlet published an article in which Bellingcat bloggers and Eliot Higgins personally appear as the only fighters for truth. The unpleasant incident, to put it mildly, with Higgins’s reaction to Polyanskiy’s tweets is also mentioned in the article and presented by Washington Post correspondents as another example of destructive propaganda by the Russian Foreign Ministry. Everything is turned upside down and the insulting tweets are not even mentioned as if they never happened. The Washington Post just did not see them.

In the same context, the US newspaper is referring to the comment made by the Information and Press Department regarding the four-year anniversary of the Boeing crash that was circulated in the UN Security Council. Perhaps earlier it would not be possible to see the connection between social media, journalism and foreign policy. Now it is possible to do so by literally two clicks and follow the entire trail of one media outlet supporting the information campaigns by allegedly independent investigators.

We have repeatedly assessed the activity of not only Bellingcat but also those who use their material as a source of trustworthy information. They cannot be taken seriously.

We assume that serious media outlets must not be involved in such blatant information campaigns and their support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What's the "Remember the recent incident with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office?" reference?