Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

What's stopping you from keeping a supply of nets to break up enemy charges and debuff high priority targets?

Edit: besides hubris and GRCS

they're one use, and relatively rare in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yeah, 90% of the nets you get are going to come from hiring fishermen and the occasional ratcatcher.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Yeah like they said its a rarity thing more than anything else. Markets don't really stock nets often, and never in quantity. A really simple fix for this could me using a net just sets its durability to 0. You get one use out of it per fight, but it doesn't disappear as an inventory item, and it takes a bit of cash/time to repair for it's next use, giving it a cost factor. Or make it work like a arrow quiver. It has 1/1 ammo uses, and it draws from the generic ammo pool to 'reload' it, giving it a cost to factor. The single biggest issue against nets is just simply that if you throw one, you never know when you'll see another one in a marketplace.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fishing towns seem to stock them reliably, and in the late game when you have a team with strong archers you can often kill net goblins before they have the chance to get you. Since they take up the shield slot, using them on duelists is probably optimal.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
That's still a pretty irregular supply. Making nets need to be repurchased after every use is too much of a hassle for their value. Imagine if you had to rebuy a quiver of arrows every time you emptied one out, rather than how the game handles it with the generic ammunition resource and refills after each fight. Nets really needed to work something like that if they were meant to be used with any regularity.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also nets take up a hand slot, which is an extra bit of bother. Everything about them makes them annoying to use.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
Modding this game doesn't seem to be very easy, either, or I'd suggest we just make something that does it. Which is a shame, because an active modding scene to put in more enemy types/backgrounds/weapons/towns/whatever could do a lot for this game, I think. Stuff like the Lindwurm show that there's still room in the design space for interesting ideas.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Unless you're getting into weird multi-weapon builds there's no reason not to have all your frontline melee guys carry nets in their bag slots, as there's nothing else worth putting in there (except for a dagger, but you get 2 slots anyway) and they don't reduce fatigue.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Night10194 posted:

Also nets take up a hand slot, which is an extra bit of bother. Everything about them makes them annoying to use.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Unless you're getting into weird multi-weapon builds there's no reason not to have all your frontline melee guys carry nets in their bag slots, as there's nothing else worth putting in there (except for a dagger, but you get 2 slots anyway) and they don't reduce fatigue.

This is what I'm getting at. Heading into a fight with a bandit lord or a warlord? Better put the net on Megane and Pozoaxe(?) to root that fucker down and beat the poo poo out of him. But like Jade and many have said the rarity of nets or having to go out of your way to get them prevents nets from being essential strategy and just a 'oh, I could also do that' strategy.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Since this is becoming more general BB discussion, new update planned.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
With all the marathons happening these days... Undead crisis speedrun when :v: ?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rick_Hunter posted:

This is what I'm getting at. Heading into a fight with a bandit lord or a warlord? Better put the net on Megane and Pozoaxe(?) to root that fucker down and beat the poo poo out of him. But like Jade and many have said the rarity of nets or having to go out of your way to get them prevents nets from being essential strategy and just a 'oh, I could also do that' strategy.

Bandit Lords in general aren't worth the nets and Warlords are not only strong enough to tear through the nets with ease but all this will guarantee is that they will have more time to yell and will just circle around towards your juicy rear.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

jerman999 posted:

Since this is becoming more general BB discussion, new update planned.

I am incredibly excited for this.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
How do you deal with ranged units?

I use heavy armor and either 2 handers or axe/hammer + kite shield. I have 3 ranged skill 90 archer/polearms, but I usually only use 1 because the damage per fatigue is not as good as a melee 2 hander.

I'm at day 150 so always outnumbered 2 to 1. Ancient Legions are no problem because a line of 2-handers and billhooks just mows them down as they come towards me, but ranged units are a problem because they can all fire all the time. Even bandits chew through battleforged heavy armor in those numbers. Counter-archer hit rate is very low because they stand behind shieldbearers, and there's more of them besides.

My workaround is to fight at night, full melee with kite shields. But now I'm in the Noble War, and 1 handers don't have the damage output that I need to run over footmen/mercs/knights and clear out their back line. I can either use kite shields and get pinned down for a long time with billmen swinging at me, or bring greatswords and get hit 10 times by arbalesters before my first round of attacks.

So what do I do? Set my formation as back row 2-handers, 4 shieldbearers in front? Treat large groups with ranged units as unbeatable? Kite them into other units?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

teardrop posted:

So what do I do? Set my formation as back row 2-handers, 4 shieldbearers in front? Treat large groups with ranged units as unbeatable? Kite them into other units?

The answer to any question in battle brothers is always "leverage your individually superior brothers to focus down the enemy quickly and create local superiority". You always want to make sure the enemy gets fewer attacks on you than you are getting on them. The other answer is "equip your brothers to fight the enemy you have, not the enemy you want". If their ranged units are standing back with shield cover, back up and shoot at the guys they have advancing at you that are easier shots so your wall can kill their wall quickly without getting bogged down. At some point, there can be just too many dudes for you to safely fight by yourself and there are some fights you just can't do without risk; take advantage of AI allies when possible.

Nobody's damage per fatigue is going to match up to a melee two hander but kite shields are incredibly good at helping you not get shot. You don't bring ranged units because they're efficient at killing things, you bring them because they deal damage at range and let you focus targets more easily. Two enemies with wounds are far more dangerous than one dead enemy and one untouched enemy. If you're seriously running into groups where you're outnumbered 2-1 and there are ten enemy crossbowmen, the main advice that I can give is to step back at the beginning of fights and be prepared to step back even more as needed to draw out the enemy. You can cut enemy crossbow rate of fire in half if you force them to move forward to stay in range which also opens up opportunities for better shots. Use hammers and not maces against heavy armor opponents that you'll have to chew through; warhammers are basically twice as good at chewing through armored opponents as winged maces. Maces are for slogs when you have the luxury of wearing out the enemy, which isn't an option when you're outnumbered.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

teardrop posted:

I use heavy armor and either 2 handers or axe/hammer + kite shield. I have 3 ranged skill 90 archer/polearms, but I usually only use 1 because the damage per fatigue is not as good as a melee 2 hander.

A lot of your issues seem to be coming from this single belief and here you could not be more wrong. With that amount of ranged skill you should be able to take out 1-2 ranged enemies ever 2-3 turns (depending upon what is going on in the battlefield) and you can get started on that from the moment the battle begins. For melee units to hit the backline you have to spend all that time carving up the opposition whilst dealing with the ranged attacks of the enemy and by the time you have broken the enemy frontline in the big battles your soldiers will be exhausted. Also you should be stuffing your two handers into the best armor imaginable and get used to the fact that they will eat some hits, but once you get stuck in the archers will not be able to constantly hit you and if necessary take a pause from the slaughter just to use the catch breath (or whatever it is called) skill.

Also just as a warning beware the ancient dead as there is still one more tier of enemies to deal with and they hit like a truck and wield some of the most terrifying weapons in the game.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Hunt11 posted:

A lot of your issues seem to be coming from this single belief and here you could not be more wrong. With that amount of ranged skill you should be able to take out 1-2 ranged enemies ever 2-3 turns (depending upon what is going on in the battlefield) and you can get started on that from the moment the battle begins. For melee units to hit the backline you have to spend all that time carving up the opposition whilst dealing with the ranged attacks of the enemy and by the time you have broken the enemy frontline in the big battles your soldiers will be exhausted. Also you should be stuffing your two handers into the best armor imaginable and get used to the fact that they will eat some hits, but once you get stuck in the archers will not be able to constantly hit you and if necessary take a pause from the slaughter just to use the catch breath (or whatever it is called) skill.

Also just as a warning beware the ancient dead as there is still one more tier of enemies to deal with and they hit like a truck and wield some of the most terrifying weapons in the game.

My main issue is that I rarely get clear shots on a good target: I might have 60% to hit the front line, but only 20% to hit their ranged units in cover, and it takes 2-3 hits to kill them. When I want to pick off wounded, they might not be the clear shot. So mostly my archers just do a little damage to the front line and even when they do work as intended, I only kill an enemy archer on turn 2 and a couple more on turn 3 of engagement. Whereas when 10 berserk 2-handers engage, it leaves a big enough hole that their archers are all backing up and pulling daggers by the 3rd turn anyway. So I felt like my archers had an impact too late to matter.

However, I've noticed the AI plays very differently based on how much ranged I have showing. Dropping down to 1 archer has the AI wanting to just shieldwall in place. I'll try having more archers to draw them out and see if that leads to good shots. Or I've thought about having my 2-handers all start with crossbows to goad the AI into charging.

Backing up to catch them out of position is a good idea.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, with the announcement of a new expansion coming out, are you going to try another run at this to see how it goes?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I don't plan to redo a run for the LP. The yehti thing might be cool, but i'm not going to start over for it this far in. The lindwurm thing is out there somewhere but I've only ever briefly glimpsed it before it died to a house company so I don't expect this new mini dlc to make a big impact on things.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Jade Star posted:

I don't plan to redo a run for the LP. The yehti thing might be cool, but i'm not going to start over for it this far in. The lindwurm thing is out there somewhere but I've only ever briefly glimpsed it before it died to a house company so I don't expect this new mini dlc to make a big impact on things.

They are releasing what sounds like a fairly substantial expansion instead of a mini DLC.

quote:

A variety of challenging new beasts populating different parts of the wilds. Each with unique mechanics and loot.
A bigger world to explore, full of unique hidden locations throughout that offer new possibilities and rewards to the daring adventurer.
Trophies from slain beasts that can be crafted into charms, potions and other items to customize the look of your hardened mercenaries and benefit them in combat.
New contracts that have you engage in profitable beast hunting, exploration and more.
New weapons, tools, shields, and armor to equip your men with.
New paint items that can be used to paint shields and helmets in the colors of your company.
Lots of new events.
New music tracks.

It's not going to be out for a while, though, so it probably won't affect the LP.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Oh, thats much more than I read about with the Yheti thing. Neat.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

The Black Parade, days 74-77

Ivendorf still has work for us even after the pair of contracts we completed last update. I didn't expect to get so much work out of such a small town, but steady work is always appreciated.

A fingerbone of a saint huh? Sounds surprisingly legit compared to some of the other jobs we've taken. However, relics usually mean tombs, and that almost always means skeletons. It's not paying a whole lot, so it shouldn't be too hard of a fight.

It is however a fairly long walk to the south.

No matter though. Nothing interesting spotted on the way to the ruins. The lack of a scouting report worries me a bit. Skeletons can be dangerous. The tougher ones especially. They can wear heavy armor, big shields, and never tire. We have a contract to clear this place out though, so we're going to have to deal with the unknown.

Ruins of Borgen

Legionaries are a huge pain most of the time. They are really dangerous with those pikes, and often the only saving grace about them is that skeletons often show up to fights with broken weapons that do maybe two thirds the damage of an equivalent weapon. Travel Log took some pikes to the face and was amazingly okay with it, I think that is due to a very high armor value helmet and the battle forged perk. Mo took one to the body and wasn't happy about it. Wokow has been getting chewed up lately and took a real beating holding the right flank this fight. I'm glad he didn't die. In summary, fighting skeletons is never fun.

Fighting skeletons is never fun, but sometimes it is profitable! That golden chalice is worth a thousand crowns on its own. The rest of the junk and the ring might get close to another thousand, maybe more like 500.

Well that was interesting. We'll head back and collect our pay. Wokow gets rotated out to reserves to recover from his wounds and speaking of rotating, Flamester leveled up and I gave him Rotation. Despite how good it seems as a skill I have almost never used it. Flamester being an axe man has a bit of unusual role, smashing shields more than skulls so things like Berserk and Killing Frenzy are a little less valuable for him as he tends to set up killing blows rather than deal them out himself. We also are getting more fights where someone is getting near dying so having someone to rotate them out will be handy. Naturally this is a skill I'll need on a few people for that end, can't rely on Flamester being everywhere all the time.

Marching back to Ivendorf we encounter a dog. We can chase it off, kill it, or try to take it in. Much to Olesh's surprise I don't immediately murder the dog (Long standing thing about our time playing The Division together). Instead we can take it in to get a free war dog.

We don't get to name it, sadly. So little BB will be joining us. War dogs get 'equipped' in the same slot and bandages so someone will have to give up theirs. I give BB to Mr. Yar, as he's not often bleeding out. I may have covered war dogs before, but don't expect great things from BB. Running down fleeing enemies is about all the combat BB is likely to see. Dogs do not have much defense nor a lot of HP so one or two hits will kill a dog. The AI almost always prioritizes targets with the lowest defense so that means dogs in combat with enemies that are fighting back tend to be the first thing attacked and subsequently they die pretty quickly.

A decent payday. Adding that to the gear we sold we have quite a lot of money on hand now. Assuming Ivendorf doesn't have even more work for us it seems like it's time to head west again and work our way towards a shopping trip in Heldenburg.

Ivendorf looks like it's in good shape and there is no more work available here so it's time to head off. We know Westerholz is in a bit of trouble so that will be our first stop.

Before we make it to Westerholz the company sets up camp to talk about our plans for the future. The first option is sort of a crap shoot. By that I mean you can never really tell when or where you'll find a rare item to fulfill that quest. I guess with enough money we could buy something unique out of Heldenburg, but beside that it comes down to long term luck. Fighting another mercenary band means finding another band on the map, which isn't too rare, and then attacking them without cause. I haven't been doing that this playthrough, but when you are not on contract, you can Control or Alt click on groups to attack them even if they aren't hostile. This would be how you go about being a bandit company yourself. So we'd have to find a rival merc company and then attack them with no cause, which would seriously piss off which ever town had hired them, and moderately upset whichever kingdom that town was a part of. Not really the choice for me. So, given the reasons above I pick the middle option. A bit mundane but easy enough to accomplish. Set out in the wilderness, find some encampment, and pillage it. Easy.

Westerholz has some problems going on. It also has some jobs, so I think we can take care of those problems. Before I check with the contracts though, I'm going to take a look in the tavern.

Just the sort of rumor I was looking for! A hint to some sort of map location that will satisfy our ambition quest.

Back to work now, more thieves to catch. Easy bread and butter mission here. It's not even paying enough to cover the wages of the men for an entire day. But I still may as well take it. It'll help out the town, boost our renown, that sort of thing. We may turn a profit on selling the dead men's gear anyway.

The Thieves aren't far from Westerholz at all. They don't even try to run very far. And they're all thugs except one raider. This'll be piss easy.

Thieves of Westerholz

Man, sometimes even when everything is in your favor the enemy can put together a few good hits on the same target and risk killing one of your men. Night took a lot of damage over just three hits and nearly died. That was really unexpected. Thankfully he'll be alright. We'll send him to the reserves for a few days to recover and everything will be fine.

The loot was crap, but what did we expect from such poor fighters? I'll make maybe 200 crowns from selling this gear.

Shinarato leveled up from that fight. Shin as you may recall is our brute with bonus damage to head hits, and is the reason we gave him a flail as flails are more likely to hit the head. With these things in mind I choose headhunter for Shin.

Sure, flails have Lash to ensure a head hit, but that uses up a lot of stamina and this perk is passive and will always apply. Honestly, I'm trying to diversify my late level up perk picks a bit so everyone doesn't end up with the same build and I think having the bonus damage to head hit guys with bonus chances to hit people in the heads is a cool synergy.

Not a big payday but every little bit helps. Probably the exp from the fight was worth more than the 350 crowns.

Westerholz still has problems and it still has a contract to offer. Let's hope it wants to do something about one of those issues.

Great, let's go solve some missing villagers. It's paying pretty well so I expect it to be a fairly big pack of wolves or ghouls or whatever it is.

Did not have to look hard to find these guys. Nice. That's how I like these sorts of jobs. Usually you have to follow some tracks or sit around and wait for about half a day. It's super nice when the mission objective is just right there.

Wait, what's this? Was that a brigand wearing the pelt of a dire wolf? Something seems kind of fishy about this. Are they playing sheep in wolves clothing to raid the country side? Or uh, wolf in wolf's clothing...? You get the idea. These bandits are up to no good!

'Wolves' of Westerholz

Raiders dressed up are still just raiders, and we're able to handle that pretty well by now. Flamester did take a couple of hits right at the end that was a little scary. These last couple fights have shown that even what looks like an easy fight can carry some risk if you get unlucky and take a few hits.

Oh man, look at this loot. Operation Hubris really paid off. Four sets of dire wolf chain mail. That's amazing. That really helps out our melee brothers, upping several of them from the 110/115 armor to 140, plus the resolve effect. I'm super happy with this fight and how it turned out. This just continues the trend of spending considerable money or effort to acquire something, and then have more of it just fall into my lap. It's weird, but I'll certainly take the good fortune.

And then something weird happened. Not in game, but to me. I somehow do not have any more screenshots from this point on and cannot figure out what happened to them. Thankfully there wasn't a whole lot left for this update, so I am just going to summarize quickly.

Returning to town I collect payment for the contract and Westerholz doesn't have any more jobs for us. I remembered the tavern rumor about a place north of town, and being that our ambition was to find and loot an encampment in the wild I figured it'll be a quick and easy way to get the ambition done with. North past the mountain and just a bit past the forest that had the Refuge of the Apostate there is an open plains. In the plains I found the encampment, just like the fellow at the tavern said. Sometimes these are easy to find, being in open grassland certainly helps, and sometimes they can be a real pain either from being very far away, or being in slow terrain and hidden in forests or swamps. Approaching the camp gives me a scouting report that makes me laugh. It's brigands, and it's mostly thugs. This will be super easy.

Overgrown Hideout

Barely worth talking about these chumps. They landed one hit that got stopped by armor and then died like cowards. For lovely thugs they at least gave me some nice loot. The pike may come in handy, flails sell well since they're tier three weapons, and the camp had some bolts of cloth with are worth a little. Cloth is, I think, the least valuable trade good. Maybe second, ahead of lumber. About 200 crowns anyway.

Completing this fight and returning to Westerholz completes our ambition. It doesn't reward us with much, just a renown boost and a temporary morale boost. It's still good to tick it off the list though, and more renown means contracts will pay us more.

Still really sorry that I lost the last few screenshots guys, but there wasn't too much to see about it. The video didn't get lost at least. Next time we'll pick up in Westerholz and head south back to Kornstadt and see what sort of jobs we can find there and then on to Heldenburg to spend all of this money we've accumulated.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 9, 2018

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Might need to recode the second video because its too long and half of it is just black screen.
Also the audio cut off early on the third one.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

They are releasing what sounds like a fairly substantial expansion instead of a mini DLC.

It's not going to be out for a while, though, so it probably won't affect the LP.

I am god-damned stooooooooked.

We even get actual magic outside of a few extremely specific events! Sort of!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Cooked Auto posted:

Might need to recode the second video because its too long and half of it is just black screen.
Also the audio cut off early on the third one.

fuuuck are you kidding me... let me go look at everything. gently caress

e: How the gently caress did that even happen?! The first video was the one I had to redo a few times to get the audio balancing right. gently caress everything, argh. Man, this is what I get for watching only the first minute or two of every video to make sure the audio came out well. So focused on not having Olesh's volume be too low.

Okay gently caress, Vegas is behaving in a new way I guess. I have recreated the second video cutting off twice now, and I'm not sure why it's doing that now all of a sudden, and why id didn't do this for the three other videos? Fuuuuck well I have solved it. Maybe? but why this issue on just the one video now?!? I'll get reparied 2 and 3 videos up shortly

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 9, 2018

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Okay so a lot of things went wrong on that update but I think everything is squared away now.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Eh, I think dogs are more useful than you give them credit for. They're good distractions--every shot at a dog is one less than at a more valuable target, plus you could potentially trick enemies into messing up their lines, even tag an archer with one potentially.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Hot drat you got a lot of money and gear in that update.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have 128 hours in this game and until you mentioned it in passing in this LP, I had no idea I could press a button and attack neutral units.

.......................it seems like it's generally an incredibly bad idea.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo, FOUR suits of Direwolf chain? I've never seen that many Direwolf chains in total, much less after a single battle! :stare:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
No big deal, just hosting a furry convention out in the wilderness. You found the missing villagers and then killed them, you monster!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pvt.Scott posted:

No big deal, just hosting a furry convention out in the wilderness. You found the missing villagers and then killed them, you monster!

They were taken by a foul madness. Better to end their suffering and tell their families bandits got them. Everyone is better off.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well I can certainly see why you call them hubris circles.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Veryslightlymad posted:

I have 128 hours in this game and until you mentioned it in passing in this LP, I had no idea I could press a button and attack neutral units.

.......................it seems like it's generally an incredibly bad idea.

I learned this was a mechanic only when I once took the ambition to fight another merc company and had to figure out how. It's not a mechanic they really seem to advertise. But it's not necessarily a universally bad idea. You can play the game as a bandit as much as a merc company. Attack trade caravans for profit, piss off one town or noble house and then work for the others nearby. The missions you get will change as a result too. So instead of finding relic bones, or hunting down thieves, some civilian leaders will hire you to burn the farms of a rival town or things of that nature.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

dang, 4 things of mail armor is ridiculous.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Jade Star posted:

I learned this was a mechanic only when I once took the ambition to fight another merc company and had to figure out how. It's not a mechanic they really seem to advertise. But it's not necessarily a universally bad idea. You can play the game as a bandit as much as a merc company. Attack trade caravans for profit, piss off one town or noble house and then work for the others nearby. The missions you get will change as a result too. So instead of finding relic bones, or hunting down thieves, some civilian leaders will hire you to burn the farms of a rival town or things of that nature.

That's really cool, actually. On my experiment bandit game, I managed to do quite well for about two weeks, getting some really nice equipment fairly early on by ambushing a small Mercenary company. (Day 6 War Bow? SURE.)

My problem is roving bands of Footmen and Billmen running me down. House companies are basically the boogeyman, popping up when you least expect it and thoroughly murdering the poo poo out of you.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Veryslightlymad posted:

My problem is roving bands of Footmen and Billmen running me down. House companies are basically the boogeyman, popping up when you least expect it and thoroughly murdering the poo poo out of you.

Well now you're on the other side of things. Normally you're the hammer that falls on the highway men and brigands, but now you are the brigands and you gotta look out for the stronger lawmen.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

So the first new DLC enemy is an archer tax: https://twitter.com/OverhypeStudios/status/1027896216254902272

A low hp/low armor spellcaster that can spam ranged save-or-die spells can be easily killed by endgame-tier bow brothers. But if you don't kill them in the first few turns, they look like total bullshit that's worse than everything except the other endgame spellcaster enemies.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Throw dogs at them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
This LP got me back into playing this game. drat you. I started a new game and started with two melee companions who had iron lung.