Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Climate refugee crises are going to be wild.

It's all fun and games until like 200m people have to relocate before 2055 as most of the arid parts of the equator become completely uninhabitable for 9 months of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
We're just going to let them all die, except the rich ones.

Lol

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Steezo posted:

All this heat almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter...

I mean at this point it almost feels like a "pic your poison scenario"

Do we choose the quick death from cleansing nuclear fire and fall-out. Or do we choose the slow death of Climate Change?

What is interesting to me, in a morbid kind of way, is even to this day post-apocalyptic themed movies/video games/books just straight up ignore climate change. They all continue to focus on Nuclear War, Pandemics, Blight, killer robots, Zombies, ect.

Like, many of those things could result from climate change, but it feels like the reality is so real, people just refuse to acknowledge it's severity because it seemed too real. I mean, its only been in the last two or so years I've finally seen news articles go "oh gently caress, this is getting bad" and well, that's because it is.

It's a good thing at this critical moment, we as the world premier global superpower, have a leader who can unite the world to combat the greatest threat to human civilization in 2000 years and rally the worl...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/07/opinions/trump-rollback-fuel-efficiency-standards-opinion-stokes/index.html

..oh. Yea never mind we're hosed lol.

Also as I've said before, part of the reason Trump and Brexit (and the global resurgence in fascism in general) happened it because a few more brown people showed up from failing countries such as Syria, Venezuela, Honduras, Libya. These countries do not have particularly large populations. But the refugees from these countries collectively caused white people in Western Democracies (tm) to absolutely lose their goddamn minds. And it's debatable if they are climate refugees.

When India/Pakistan/Bangladesh/Sri Lanka become unlivable hell-holes from a mixture of being under water, or just turned into literal ovens, those billion+ people are going to have to go somewhere. Wonder how Western Civilization will cope with that!

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 9, 2018

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Steezo posted:

All this heat almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter...

I'm seeing the occasional article asking things like, "hey if it gets bad enough should we maybe dump a poo poo ton of Sulfur Dioxide into the atmosphere and dim the sky, that'll help with too much sunlight warming up the planet, right?" and yup, we're gonna gently caress things up real good one way or another.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

mods changed my name posted:

Lol

who is this "them"

if you're not rich, you're meat for the grinder.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm seeing the occasional article asking things like, "hey if it gets bad enough should we maybe dump a poo poo ton of Sulfur Dioxide into the atmosphere and dim the sky, that'll help with too much sunlight warming up the planet, right?" and yup, we're gonna gently caress things up real good one way or another.

The Dinosaurs TV-series already predicted our demise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKZ2NFuDQhw

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This time -- maybe.

:smith:

No, always. Even if the courts had an anti-gay bias, the will is legally binding and they are hosed either way.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mods changed my name posted:

Lol

Yup.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I'm the dick-level bernie face

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

who is this "them"

if you're not rich, you're meat for the grinder.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I wouldn't be scooped up by the soylent trucks or anything, just that it might be a little longer before they extend service to North idaho

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nunes broke opsec

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/nunes-on-secret-tape-kavanaugh-vote-then-rosenstein-impeachment-1295170115625

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I would say I'm excited for Trump's tweet calling for nunes to be impeached tomorrow morning but he's never going to hear about this

Berlin airport terminal shut down for bag of dicks

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/vibrator-berlin-airport-intl/index.html

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 9, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/08/saudi-arabia-canada-latest-egypt-russia

quote:

Meanwhile, the United States – one of Canada’s closest allies – has so far refused to wade into the row, describing both countries as close allies in a written statement from the state department.

“It’s up for the government of Saudi Arabia and the Canadians to work this out,” said Heather Nauert, a spokesperson for the state department, on Tuesday. “Both sides need to diplomatically resolve this together. We can’t do it for them.”

The United Kingdom was similarly muted in its response, with a foreign office spokesperson saying: “Canada and Saudi Arabia are both close partners of the UK, and we urge restraint during the current situation,” a foreign office spokeswoman said.

What the heck guys, you don't have our backs against the Saudis? That Orb must have some good mind control poo poo in it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Eej posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/08/saudi-arabia-canada-latest-egypt-russia

What the heck guys, you don't have our backs against the Saudis? That Orb must have some good mind control poo poo in it.

Do you really want the guy with loving brain worms to wade into this mess? Do you really?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Defenestrategy posted:

Do you really want the guy with loving brain worms to wade into this mess? Do you really?

What if one of the worms told him to nuke Riyadh?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Nunes just happened to mention that they were waiting till their Supreme Court appointment gets appointed and they're going to impeach Rosenstein so thats something

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hmm, gee, why would they want Kavanaugh appointed before they impeached Rosenstein? Boy that's a real head scratcher. There's some kind of relationship there but I just can't quite figure it out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/chaos_orbison/status/1026518710738198529

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Whoopsie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I hope this video gets better than "sometimes his tweets make you cringe."

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal

An article for those who don't want to watch a video:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/secret-recording-shows-gop-s-nunes-saying-rosenstein-impeachment-would-n899031

quote:

Nunes, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, made the statement in an audio recording surreptitiously made by a member of a progressive group who attended a Republican fundraiser on July 30 in Spokane, Washington. [...]

Asked about the the impeachment plans, Nunes told a questioner that "it's a bit complicated" because "we only have so many months left."

"So if we actually vote to impeach, OK, what that does is that triggers the Senate then has to take it up," he said on the recording. "Well, and you have to decide what you want right now because the Senate only has so much time.”

He continued: "Do you want them to drop everything and not confirm the Supreme Court justice, the new Supreme Court justice?"

"The Senate would have to drop everything they're doing ... and start with impeachment on Rosenstein. And then take the risk of not getting Kavanaugh confirmed," Nunes said. "So it's not a matter that any of us like Rosenstein. It's a matter of, it's a matter of timing."

[...]

The audio of the Spokane fundraiser was obtained by the Maddow show from a member of the "Fuse Washington" progressive group who paid the $250 entry fee to attend the dinner.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bolow posted:

Did the Atsugi squadrons and poo poo finally relocate to Iwakuni? They had just finished building the massive runway expansion and poo poo when I left in 2008, but it was still a runty rear end little base with like 1500 people on the drat thing. Christ I can't even fathom how loving terrible going out in town locally, or even to Hiroshima is if the base got much bigger.

The squadrons were still in atsugi in 2016 when I left

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Bolow posted:

Did the Atsugi squadrons and poo poo finally relocate to Iwakuni? They had just finished building the massive runway expansion and poo poo when I left in 2008, but it was still a runty rear end little base with like 1500 people on the drat thing. Christ I can't even fathom how loving terrible going out in town locally, or even to Hiroshima is if the base got much bigger.

Yeah, everyone but 12, 77, and 51 are down here now. MCX is under stocked and under staffed, almost no one lives off base so we basically live under Marine rules 24/7, there's basically nothing close to base except the bars I guess and 711, the train station is like double the walk time, rank based alcohol restrictions, everything but one mini mart is farther from the barracks than the flightline was in Atsugi.

Pros: There's a half a Chili's (It's understaffed)

We traded casual access to Tokyo/Yokohama and a base ignored by everyone for this.

Now everyone wants to cross platform to h60s or get out. I'm personally now more open to billets in Yokosuka.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The senate does not have the votes necessary to remove anyone following impeachment by the house. Nunes is full of poo poo and is actively working to undermine our nation.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Tribune-Sinclair merger is dead.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/tribune-media-ends-3-9-billion-merger-deal-sinclair-n899071

:toot:?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So I just want to vent for a moment. I decided to try to post in D&D. Particularly the Local Politics s thread. I figured it may be a good resource of Goons organizing in groups around the country to remove Republicans from power and push for liberal candidates.

It of course was not that. Here is what I learned about the current positions of D&D.

1) there is a huge difference between a liberal and a leftist. A leftist is pure and good and what everyone should be. A liberal is a filthy establishment centrist and an enemy of the people. There is no definition of what makes one liberal or a leftist that the thread could agree on.

2) The pod save America crew are enemies of leftists. This is because one of them may or may not have been involved with a group with pushed for Medicare for all, but wasn’t true single payer. Therefore they are scum

3) The DSA are enemies of the left because they dare work with sworn enemies of the left...the Democrats

4) A nuclear Armed Iran is cool and good.

So yea, I’m sorry to vent. My brain is so broke right now after learning that I, a card carrying DSA member am not a true enough leftist to post in the local politics thread.

Anyway I can tie this all together by saying D&D are a symptom of how hard pushing leftist politics in America is. Because MAGA chuds will crawl over molten glass (as another poster put it) to vote Trump even if he had a legit stroke on camera and told everyone to drink bleach. But leftists will never vote anyone who doesn’t meet alllllll checkboxes in their long, ever growing, and ever changing purity criteria. Sigh.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I just want to vent for a moment. I decided to try to post in D&D. Particularly the Local Politics s thread. I figured it may be a good resource of Goons organizing in groups around the country to remove Republicans from power and push for liberal candidates.

It of course was not that. Here is what I learned about the current positions of D&D.

1) there is a huge difference between a liberal and a leftist. A leftist is pure and good and what everyone should be. A liberal is a filthy establishment centrist and an enemy of the people. There is no definition of what makes one liberal or a leftist that the thread could agree on.

2) The pod save America crew are enemies of leftists. This is because one of them may or may not have been involved with a group with pushed for Medicare for all, but wasn’t true single payer. Therefore they are scum

3) The DSA are enemies of the left because they dare work with sworn enemies of the left...the Democrats

So yea, I’m sorry to vent. My brain is so broke right now after learning that I, a card carrying DSA member am not a true enough leftist to post in the local politics thread.

Anyway I can tie this all together by saying D&D are a symptom of how hard pushing leftist politics in America is. Because MAGA chuds will crawl over molten glass (as another poster put it) to vote Trump even if he had a legit stroke on camera and told everyone to drink bleach. But leftists will never vote anyone who doesn’t meet alllllll checkboxes in their long, ever growing, and ever changing purity criteria. Sigh.

I get this and I feel it now and again but then I remind myself of some facts. MAGA chuds are a very large percentage of the nation. "Full communism now" leftists are only significant on the internet. Most Bernie supporters voted for Clinton. The purity testers are loud but there just aren't that many of them in reality.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Putin has issued the order to reintroduce politruks and commissars to the Russian Army . Someone must be worried about loyalty. :commissar:

Soon they will probably pull down a curtain and reveal that USSR never went away. Then they declare themselves winners in the cold war. :tinfoil:

The order goes by the name Ukaz N.456. General Andrei Kartapolov is the new head commissar.

Putin did say once that the collapse of the Soviet Union was the worst disaster in world politics (or something along those lines). Bringing back the old ways, I see...

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Stultus Maximus posted:

I get this and I feel it now and again but then I remind myself of some facts. MAGA chuds are a very large percentage of the nation. "Full communism now" leftists are only significant on the internet. Most Bernie supporters voted for Clinton. The purity testers are loud but there just aren't that many of them in reality.

Plus, all groups of people will have those among them that will find ways to claim to be more pure and better than all the other people who share their interests, and will be complete and total douchebags in pursuit of that goal. It can be university or local politics, model train enthusiasts, tabletop RPG nerds, whatever. It's just (an ugly and frustrating) part of human nature.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Also,

quote:

“This puts us in such a tough spot. If Sessions won’t unrecuse and Mueller won’t clear the President, we’re the only ones, which is really the danger…We have to keep all these seats, we have to keep the majority. We do not keep the majority, all of this goes away.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stultus Maximus posted:

MAGA chuds are not a large percentage of the nation. Around 25% of the voting population (approx 18.5% of total population) voted for Trump. Trump does not have full support from even republican voters.

Ocasio-Cortez said it best when she said the goal isn't to convert republican voters to democratic, but to convert non-voters to voters.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trump only has 88% support from Republican voters which might as well mean 100% because the remainder are definitely pulling the lever for him in 2020

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Post in CSPAM instead of D&D. Also liberals/centerists can gently caress off forever imo. Don't @ me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CSPAM Trump thread doesn’t have any detailed discussion but that’s a fair sight better than the main forum thread that violently dives up its own rear end about which word of the day is banned or what pizza topping exemplifies white privilege.

Or, at least, when they do the thread moves fast enough it’s over with quickly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Have you heard the good news of ch*po *rap house?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Fallom posted:

what pizza topping exemplifies white privilege.

Pineapple. Easy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
D&D is where people can right-think pat each other on the back, where a few notable moron right wing people who love punishment show up regularly because they have a mockery fetish, fishmech does his thing, and a PRC propaganda machine accuses all Americans of being imperial rapist sexpats and champions the DPRK’s prison system as very good. (Some threads do have news links on the regular)

C-SPAM has just as much if not more news links plus a bunch of hilarious bullshit and people trying to engage in Formal Debate Rules get laughed at or proved by IKs.

C-SPAM is great.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SlightlyMad posted:

Putin has issued the order to reintroduce politruks and commissars to the Russian Army . Someone must be worried about loyalty. :commissar:

Soon they will probably pull down a curtain and reveal that USSR never went away. Then they declare themselves winners in the cold war. :tinfoil:

The order goes by the name Ukaz N.456. General Andrei Kartapolov is the new head commissar.

Putin did say once that the collapse of the Soviet Union was the worst disaster in world politics (or something along those lines). Bringing back the old ways, I see...

Defenestrategy posted:

Pineapple. Easy.

How is this even debatable?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Godholio posted:

How is this even debatable?

Pineapple and Bacon is a legit good combination. So is Artichoke and roasted red pepper if you are vegetarian.

Also thanks all, I’ll stick with CSPAM going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Pineapple and Bacon is a legit good combination. So is Artichoke and roasted red pepper if you are vegetarian.

Also thanks all, I’ll stick with CSPAM going forward.

I once ordered pineapple and Canadian bacon in Alabama and got pineapple and bacon by mistake.

• Locked thread