Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I was about to jokingly suggest Edgar Wright for Guardians 3, but that actually would be pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

howe_sam posted:

The new director might want to make some changes to the script though, not unlike what Gunn did when he took the job in the first place.

That's true, though they'd almost certainly be working from his script as a base. I guess Marvel/the director-to-be could shitcan the whole thing but that really seems unlikely to me just from a timing standpoint.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gunn totally destroyed the script they had when he signed on for GotG 1.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Retro Futurist posted:

I was about to jokingly suggest Edgar Wright for Guardians 3, but that actually would be pretty great

I would hate it out of spite regardless.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Retro Futurist posted:

I haven't gotten around to reading I Kill Giants, would it be a good pick for a family movie night or will it Bridge to Teribithia me

The latter

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

lelandjs posted:

People have been saying Cavill as live-action Archer for ages.

I'm really conflicted about this because on the one hand, he's physically perfect for it (and has the acting chops to pull it off). But I can't imagine Archer without H. Jon Benjamin's voice. And obviously dubbing it would be silly so I dunno...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rewatching Batman Returns for the millionth time and I think this is the first I've heard Christopher Walken promise Penguin "unlimited poon-tang".

edit: The Penguin is WAY hornier than I remember.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 9, 2018

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm kind of curious because I have a pretty light presence on social media, but has anyone really been glad about Gunn's removal other than culture warriors wanting to own the libs?

Pretty much everyone I've seen has come out on the side of "He was making stupid jokes that he's long since apologized for and seemingly moved on from." That's a pretty far cry from say, Roseanne who--at least at the time of her show's cancellation--was still being a horrible human being pretty regularly.

I think I'd want Gunnless Guardians 3 to fail because it'd be encouraging to see that yes, Disney is not actually a omnipotent corporate gestalt that could kill any one of us and get away with it if it felt like it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm kind of curious because I have a pretty light presence on social media, but has anyone really been glad about Gunn's removal other than culture warriors wanting to own the libs?

Pretty much everyone I've seen has come out on the side of "He was making stupid jokes that he's long since apologized for and seemingly moved on from." That's a pretty far cry from say, Roseanne who--at least at the time of her show's cancellation--was still being a horrible human being pretty regularly.

I think I'd want Gunnless Guardians 3 to fail because it'd be encouraging to see that yes, Disney is not actually a omnipotent corporate gestalt that could kill any one of us and get away with it if it felt like it.
https://twitter.com/IWriteAllDay_/status/1024726885153075200

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

OnimaruXLR posted:

Extremely dumb people, yeah.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Gunns tweets were dumb and some were kind of creepy as well but I'd still like to see him make more Guardians movies because they were good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WB throwing an offer on the table might be enough for Disney to go "oh poo poo, get him back."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It won’t be. Disney can’t make mistakes. They hosed up but they would be admitting that if they re-hire him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If they re-hire him they're opening the door for people renewing the campaigns to re-hire roseanne and god knows who else. The only way for them to re-hire Gunn and nip the accusations of double standards would be to literally say "We got tricked by internet morons."

So unless people who want Gunn re-hired somehow become louder than the endless screeching of right wing news outlets, it's not gonna happen. Especially judging by all the idiot moron so called leftists working for magazines who seem to think it was a good thing.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 9, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If have to disagree with her. Gunn automatically gets more benefit of the doubt due to his whiteness, that's inarguable, but saying stupid things on Twitter and bring forgiven isn't exclusively a white or male phenomenon. Trevor Noah for example had some anti-Semitic jokes and Comedy Central rightfully said "this is a young comedian trying material inartfully, he knows the difference between that and his current needed level of discourse". Sarah Jeong has some tweets that out of context look really bad and reasonable and the NYT said "This is ironic parody of racism, she knows not to say stuff like that as editorial staff" and did the right thing and told people coming after her to sit and spin.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MSNBC fired one of their show hosts over one joke tweet from years back because of one of these astroturf campaigns, but they rehired him when they found out it was a smear job. It can happen.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

If have to disagree with her.

Don't disagree with people like that, disregard them entirely. She's a juvenile internet "personality" shopping around a hot take for views. Engaging with that behavior on any level legitimizes it and reinforces the flawed thinking behind it. Everyone is better off if we let behaviors like that wilt on the vine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well I didn't engage with her

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dp2 was funny but i was bummed that negasonics part didnt really get expanded much for this one

Kinda loved the kid who played the "bad guy"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

To be somewhat excessively pithy, I just observe that 'nobody I know is publicly expressing a different opinion on this' is maybe a product of this kind of bubble reinforcing strategy.

In this, the era of Trump, Brexit and people actually liking Batman Vs Superman, thinking Gunn is a piece of poo poo isn't very close to my threshold of 'extremely dumb attention seeking'.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 9, 2018

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

site posted:

Dp2 was funny but i was bummed that negasonics part didnt really get expanded much for this one

Apparently she was a villain in an early draft

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Negasonic and Yukio were great. I loved how she instantly took to Wade.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Fangz posted:

To be somewhat excessively pithy, I just observe that 'nobody I know is publicly expressing a different opinion on this' is maybe a product of this kind of bubble reinforcing strategy.

In this, the era of Trump, Brexit and people actually liking Batman Vs Superman, thinking Gunn is a piece of poo poo isn't very close to my threshold of 'extremely dumb attention seeking'.

I'm not saying nobody holds that opinion legitimately, I'm saying everything from her Twitter name to her glorified blogsite to her "self-imposed isolation" is right out of lovely Shock Jock Internet Journalism 101.

If someone wants to engage on the topic I'm all for it, but that's not what's happening there

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Plastik posted:

I'm not saying nobody holds that opinion legitimately, I'm saying everything from her Twitter name to her glorified blogsite to her "self-imposed isolation" is right out of lovely Shock Jock Internet Journalism 101.

If someone wants to engage on the topic I'm all for it, but that's not what's happening there

Well she's not asking to direct GotG 3.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The thing I find dumb about that is just that it's presuming a motive.

But also I have no idea who that is so why even bring them up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Writing someone off cuz theyre proud of being a bisexual woman of color and have it in their name is some dumbass poo poo

Dacap posted:

Apparently she was a villain in an early draft

Gah, im glad they dumped that idea

Rhyno posted:

Negasonic and Yukio were great. I loved how she instantly took to Wade.

Hi wade!!!

site fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 9, 2018

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I can't even articulate why Yukio works. Maybe because the character is so sincere? Deadpool never takes the piss out of her. He just says hi back and it's cute.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

I can't even articulate why Yukio works. Maybe because the character is so sincere? Deadpool never takes the piss out of her. He just says hi back and it's cute.

She was fuckin adorable and just so happy to be there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SonicRulez posted:

She shouldn't like him (few do) and he treats her with unironic joy. It's a relationship you wouldn't expect but I think it's funnier because of how it's the opposite with Negasonic, plus Negasonic's reaction to it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

She shouldn't like him (few do) and he treats her with unironic joy. It's a relationship you wouldn't expect but I think it's funnier because of how it's the opposite with Negasonic, plus Negasonic's reaction to it.

It's kind of like Wade and Gabby's friendship in the comics. Other than the finger.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Lurdiak posted:

If they re-hire him they're opening the door for people renewing the campaigns to re-hire roseanne and god knows who else. The only way for them to re-hire Gunn and nip the accusations of double standards would be to literally say "We got tricked by internet morons."

So unless people who want Gunn re-hired somehow become louder than the endless screeching of right wing news outlets, it's not gonna happen. Especially judging by all the idiot moron so called leftists working for magazines who seem to think it was a good thing.

What's interesting here is that there's sort of a proxy battle going on between Disney's PR team and Gunn's PR Team (probably his agents) playing out in the press. One day you'll see an article about how Gunn probably won't be back, the next day an article about how he's in demand and would be entitled to a lot of money even if he's completely let go.

I think it's more likely that all of this press and these articles are strangely part of the negotiations between Disney and Gunn with regards to what compensation he would get if he came back on board. That's the only reason I can think of why it would even be mentioned that Gunn could make a lot of money from another studio. After all, he's plenty rich from what he made from Marvel/Disney (and will continue to make via residuals) and what he'd make due to a complete separation would be essentially money Disney will be throwing away.

It feels oddly like when an athlete and a team are negotiating via the press.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

If have to disagree with her. Gunn automatically gets more benefit of the doubt due to his whiteness, that's inarguable, but saying stupid things on Twitter and bring forgiven isn't exclusively a white or male phenomenon. Trevor Noah for example had some anti-Semitic jokes and Comedy Central rightfully said "this is a young comedian trying material inartfully, he knows the difference between that and his current needed level of discourse". Sarah Jeong has some tweets that out of context look really bad and reasonable and the NYT said "This is ironic parody of racism, she knows not to say stuff like that as editorial staff" and did the right thing and told people coming after her to sit and spin.

You forgot about Noah giving a platform to and hanging out with nazis since getting the Daily Show.

site posted:

I was just glad they didn't kill her or her girlfriend.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 9, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Correspondents hanging out with garbage people is The Daily Show's primary content driver.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh yeah one other thing the domino luck sequences were fun we need a domino movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

site posted:

Oh yeah one other thing the domino luck sequences were fun we need a domino movie
Well we’re (I assume) still getting that X-Force movie....

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Domino was fun and the character was definitely underused in the film. Though I worry how her power would work in a standalone film, since its limits are really rather ambiguous.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://deadline.com/2018/08/james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-marvel-studios-disney-eleventh-hour-save-attempt-1202443199/

I look forward to the next rumour being "James Gunn Sleeps Naked In an Oxygen Tent Which He Believes Gives Him Sexual Powers!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gunn should do what Richard Stanley did when he was booted from The Island of Dr Moreau (i.e. hide out in the jungle and spy on the production, then get the cast and crew to sneak him in as an extra).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why does domino needs limits in a solo

No one goes to shoot em up and complains how hes too op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Mr Hootington posted:

You forgot about Noah giving a platform to and hanging out with nazis since getting the Daily Show.

When did this happen? Not trying to challenge you, just looking for more information.

• Locked thread