Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm seeing the occasional article asking things like, "hey if it gets bad enough should we maybe dump a poo poo ton of Sulfur Dioxide into the atmosphere and dim the sky, that'll help with too much sunlight warming up the planet, right?" and yup, we're gonna gently caress things up real good one way or another.

A while back when people were seriously talking about asteroid mining I was hoping Dyson arrays would be brought up as a possible energy crisis or global warming solution.

Remember the microwave generator in sim city? That but without missing or just use something else to transfer energy or reflect/absorb some light and heat to counteract global warming. But I'm sure the sulfur dioxide/super cancer idea would win instead.

poo poo, with engineered algae we could be producing oil in space.

My point is space! Lets fund the everloving poo poo out of NASA. Who knows what practical applications they'll come up with but I love the ones we got out of the space race.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Defenestrategy posted:

Pineapple. Easy.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Pineapple and Bacon is a legit good combination. So is Artichoke and roasted red pepper if you are vegetarian.

Also thanks all, I’ll stick with CSPAM going forward.

The D&D crowd thinks they can persuade Meemaw and PopPop with on honest debate on full communism and the CSPAM crowd wants to set the building on fire because lol nothing matters.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Turkey pepperoni. Ranch.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I just want to vent for a moment. I decided to try to post in D&D. Particularly the Local Politics s thread. I figured it may be a good resource of Goons organizing in groups around the country to remove Republicans from power and push for liberal candidates.

It of course was not that. Here is what I learned about the current positions of D&D.

1) there is a huge difference between a liberal and a leftist. A leftist is pure and good and what everyone should be. A liberal is a filthy establishment centrist and an enemy of the people. There is no definition of what makes one liberal or a leftist that the thread could agree on.

2) The pod save America crew are enemies of leftists. This is because one of them may or may not have been involved with a group with pushed for Medicare for all, but wasn’t true single payer. Therefore they are scum

3) The DSA are enemies of the left because they dare work with sworn enemies of the left...the Democrats

4) A nuclear Armed Iran is cool and good.

So yea, I’m sorry to vent. My brain is so broke right now after learning that I, a card carrying DSA member am not a true enough leftist to post in the local politics thread.

Anyway I can tie this all together by saying D&D are a symptom of how hard pushing leftist politics in America is. Because MAGA chuds will crawl over molten glass (as another poster put it) to vote Trump even if he had a legit stroke on camera and told everyone to drink bleach. But leftists will never vote anyone who doesn’t meet alllllll checkboxes in their long, ever growing, and ever changing purity criteria. Sigh.

Yeah I saw your posts in there and didn't realize you were a gip regular at the time. I was gonna chime in but figured I didn't want to deal with the stupidity. There are few non broke brains in that thread, but yeah, it's incredibly infuriating to deal with because as you said anyone who's a liberal or who has worked with establishment Dems on any level is painted as somehow worse than Trump and his ilk. It's stupid but as someone else said, they are a very vocal minority and an annoyingly loud one at that.

I mean everything you need to know about how loving dumb some of the regulars are is when one guy says DSA sucks because they are pro trade union and co-ops rather advocating for seizing the means of production or nationalization.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JoePerticone/status/1027576064753762304

I really hope they make it a Space Corp instead and place it under the Department of the Air Force.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

:vince:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

drat

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
OTOH she did get her rear end electorally kicked by Turtleman so whatevs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Air Force is raising the age limit for Basic. Manning issues finally getting addressed?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Attention: everything isn't terrible

https://twitter.com/dabeard/status/1027578403996815360?s=19

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Jesus that photo

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Weezer is back with a cover of Toto's "Africa" if you thought poo poo couldn't get any dumber

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1027586174448218113?s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mods changed my name posted:

Weezer is back with a cover of Toto's "Africa" if you thought poo poo couldn't get any dumber

That was a month or so ago. It's been roundly poo poo on and praised, so, whatever.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Space Force: Coast to Coast

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I hope in 300 years, when the Russo-American federation is bombing dirt on Mars, there’s a sergeant yelling at recruits that if Donald Trump, father of the space force, could see them he’d be ashamed.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpMWDGDlHPo

Can't fuckin wait to hear him jabber about SPACE FORCE® at a bunch of checked out, blank faced soldiers when he's at Fort Drum next week.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I can't wait until we're stuck with this stupid poo poo forever because of sunk cost.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Another USMC to funnel money to defense contractors, hooray

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That was a month or so ago. It's been roundly poo poo on and praised, so, whatever.

And it's their first hit in ten years, showing just how dumb everything is.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CMD598 posted:

Yeah, everyone but 12, 77, and 51 are down here now. MCX is under stocked and under staffed, almost no one lives off base so we basically live under Marine rules 24/7, there's basically nothing close to base except the bars I guess and 711, the train station is like double the walk time, rank based alcohol restrictions, everything but one mini mart is farther from the barracks than the flightline was in Atsugi.

Pros: There's a half a Chili's (It's understaffed)

We traded casual access to Tokyo/Yokohama and a base ignored by everyone for this.

Now everyone wants to cross platform to h60s or get out. I'm personally now more open to billets in Yokosuka.

loving lol. Atsugi was so nice compared to Iwakuni it's laughable.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

CMD598 posted:

Yeah, everyone but 12, 77, and 51 are down here now. MCX is under stocked and under staffed, almost no one lives off base so we basically live under Marine rules 24/7, there's basically nothing close to base except the bars I guess and 711, the train station is like double the walk time, rank based alcohol restrictions, everything but one mini mart is farther from the barracks than the flightline was in Atsugi.

Pros: There's a half a Chili's (It's understaffed)

We traded casual access to Tokyo/Yokohama and a base ignored by everyone for this.

Now everyone wants to cross platform to h60s or get out. I'm personally now more open to billets in Yokosuka.

It's been a literal decade since I was at Iwakuni, but...

-There is(was?) a good rear end indian place called Ganesh in the main part of town
-Strangely passable Mexican place right next to CoCo's at the traffic circle thing by the train station
-If you got access to a personal vehicle, or know someone who does, go to the Chicken Shack

There used to be this amazing drunk food place called California Chicken right outside the main gate but iirc the owner ended up getting liver cancer or something and died back in like 2010?

orange juche posted:

loving lol. Atsugi was so nice compared to Iwakuni it's laughable.

Yeah it was a loving hole, but there were some genuinely decent spots if you knew where to look. I'd still take it over Okinawa all loving day though. Only thing Okinawa has going for it is scuba diving

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1026677341781512193

womp womp

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/adamweinstein/status/1027315158690025473?s=21

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

SlightlyMad posted:

Putin has issued the order to reintroduce politruks and commissars to the Russian Army . Someone must be worried about loyalty. :commissar:

Soon they will probably pull down a curtain and reveal that USSR never went away. Then they declare themselves winners in the cold war. :tinfoil:

The order goes by the name Ukaz N.456. General Andrei Kartapolov is the new head commissar.

Putin did say once that the collapse of the Soviet Union was the worst disaster in world politics (or something along those lines). Bringing back the old ways, I see...

Apparently they're also reintroducing government informants in schools.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/JoePerticone/status/1027576064753762304

I really hope they make it a Space Corp instead and place it under the Department of the Air Force.

The Air Force's Army

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
it has to pass congress

looking forward to the tweets saying that obstructionist democratic congress is weak on space

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Maybe the Space Force appropriations bill will have some language to fix survivor benefiHAHAHAHA sorry couldn't finish that sentence.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/Evan_Rosenfeld/status/1027632438762065920?s=19

I don't think the judge is going to accept "hey we hosed up because we have no idea what we're doing" as good rationale for defying a court order. This one could be fun because judicial contempt* tends to mean something versus bullshit congressional contempt

*lol sessions is going to pay a tiny fine

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Steezo posted:

A while back when people were seriously talking about asteroid mining I was hoping Dyson arrays would be brought up as a possible energy crisis or global warming solution.

Remember the microwave generator in sim city? That but without missing or just use something else to transfer energy or reflect/absorb some light and heat to counteract global warming. But I'm sure the sulfur dioxide/super cancer idea would win instead.

poo poo, with engineered algae we could be producing oil in space.

My point is space! Lets fund the everloving poo poo out of NASA. Who knows what practical applications they'll come up with but I love the ones we got out of the space race.

There was a great thread a couple days ago that I can't find anymore cause Twitter search sucks but it was about how Polynesian migration success varied greatly based on what kind of islands they ended up on. On the low islands with minimal freshwater and arable land they could barely survive even though they could walk around and breathe the air and catch fish from the ocean as compared to a space colony.

Also there are massive nickel deposits in Australia that haven't been touched because they're too difficult to reach and thus uneconomical. Space mining is obviously magnitudes more expensive and harder to do.

Basically at this point in time putting people in space is stupid and we should take that money, look at the stars with robots and spend the rest on not turning the only habitual rock in the known galaxy into a thermal shithole

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eej posted:

There was a great thread a couple days ago that I can't find anymore cause Twitter search sucks but it was about how Polynesian migration success varied greatly based on what kind of islands they ended up on. On the low islands with minimal freshwater and arable land they could barely survive even though they could walk around and breathe the air and catch fish from the ocean as compared to a space colony.

Also there are massive nickel deposits in Australia that haven't been touched because they're too difficult to reach and thus uneconomical. Space mining is obviously magnitudes more expensive and harder to do.

Basically at this point in time putting people in space is stupid and we should take that money, look at the stars with robots and spend the rest on not turning the only habitual rock in the known galaxy into a thermal shithole

I don't think space exploration and saving Earth are a zero sum game.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
i'm the bad No Man's Sky ripoff

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1027647890196443137?s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

In practice, it’s gonna be more like this anyhow:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

They all look like they were done by an 8 year old who just learned Photoshop.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

I kinda like the Mars Awaits one! It's so naively optimistic that it's somehow kinda charming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Like they actually think a Space Force is going to be about anything other than launching nukes at our former allies

• Locked thread