Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fuckin sweet. Please make devouring swarms use ships made at least partially out of meat.

Meat ships from meat planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

tile annihilator best update being called Le Guin is unarguably Cool and Good

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Fuckin sweet. Please make devouring swarms use ships made at least partially out of meat.

Now I want to play a race evolved to live in space and feed on rocks. Just run around eating planets and living in the void. Is there a mod for this?

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018
Pacman race?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yes, but instead tie it to the bio-engineering ascension, so anyone can go for it if they splice enough genes. Devouring swarm just gets it by default (as they do now already with the auto-healing ships) and can upgrade it further if they go that route :v:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

jerk irl posted:

Pacman race?

I was more thinking like the Drasin from the Odyssey One series. Drop guys on a planet they eat the planet to make more soldiers to drop on the next world. Something Zerg like would probably scratch that itch too now that I think about it, but they would probably be very evolution focused.

In engine you could probably balance this with big health pools so each ship would represent a hive. The only way to regenerate health would be to devour a planet or asteroid field. Maybe the ships health slowly decays too to represent the need to keep moving and finding more materials.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 9, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Truga posted:

Yes, but instead tie it to the bio-engineering ascension, so anyone can go for it if they splice enough genes. Devouring swarm just gets it by default (as they do now already with the auto-healing ships) and can upgrade it further if they go that route :v:

devouring swarm unique colossus that literally just eats planets please

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so I made my fremen-inspired exiled tribes of man fanatic spiritualist peoples and I got a scientist with psi theory in the first year of the game after leveling up

make your way for the kwisatz haderach, xenos

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Meat planets will be part of the Sagan update

https://youtu.be/ZP7K9SycELA

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

Nah, DEs, and each one is a single robot with a -cron suffix.

Also, thread titles for 2.2, now we know it's Le Guin? A Space Wizard of Spacesea is obvious, but better options must be out there.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Legit cannot wait for the next patch/expansion

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

Shugojin posted:

Big Pacman then?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

really queer Christmas posted:

Legit cannot wait for the next patch/expansion

Same but I say this every time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

Also, thread titles for 2.2, now we know it's Le Guin? A Space Wizard of Spacesea is obvious, but better options must be out there.
Stellaris 2.2: there may not even be a kind word spoken to the tiles.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Splicer posted:

Stellaris 2.2: there may not even be a kind word spoken to the tiles.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Stellaris: those who walk away from the tiles

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Stellaris 2.2: The Word for Tiles is Goodbye

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Gadzuko posted:

I like this.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Alternate: The Word for World is Tileless

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Stellaris 2.2: If George Orr was competent.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Gadzuko posted:

:emptyquote:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gadzuko posted:

Make this happen.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Gadzuko posted:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

I love this.

And I love that the economy update being Le Guin is probably a reference to The Dispossessed which is my favorite Le Guin and keeping that book in mind while reworking your economic options can only lead to good things.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eiba posted:

I love this.

And I love that the economy update being Le Guin is probably a reference to The Dispossessed which is my favorite Le Guin and keeping that book in mind while reworking your economic options can only lead to good things.

It is indeed, as well as a reference to her general tendency to create diverse and interesting fictional civilizations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I can't believe we went all the way through Heinlein without The Mune is a Harsh Mistress.

Stellaris 2.2: A Martin "Wiz" Anward of Earthsea

But seriously

Gadzuko posted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only le guin thing I've ever read was the earthsea stuff and I thought it was utterly terrible so it's always weird when I hear people talking about her writing good things.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Gadzuko posted:

I don’t get it

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

The only le guin thing I've ever read was the earthsea stuff and I thought it was utterly terrible so it's always weird when I hear people talking about her writing good things.

I thought the concept of Grey Necromancy to be fascinating, so I have to disagree here

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Bold Robot posted:

I don’t get it

She wrote a novella called, "The Word for World is Forest"

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

You may be suffering from a severe case of Bad Taste. Condolences.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a four book series about a big manchild mary suing his way through far more interesting settings and stories than he himself, except for the fourth book which is about him having a midlife crisis having married the much more interesting protagonist of the second book and stopped her doing all the interesting things she might have done had he died in the first one and not showed up half way through the second one to make it immediatley hit the shitter.

I guess it works as a realistic story about a spectacularly unlikeable schlub and the woman who seriously slums it when she marries him, but that's a weird thing to wrap in a fantasy setting. And also it doesn't need to be four books long to do that.

The books would have been much better if the protagonist of the second book had done her original plan and gone on to have her own series, instead of the goon from the first book showing up and her falling head over heels for his teenage goth phase charms. I guess in that sense it's kind of impressive in a kind of meta sense, like there's this roving metafictional mary sue protagonist going around spoiling three potentially interesting books in the same setting by showing up and hogging all the screen time. I could almost kind of go for this as a theme, books in other genres or settings that start out normal and then Ged shows up and ruins them.

I assume her other writing is very different.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 9, 2018

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Aethernet posted:

Stellaris: now Dispossesed of tiles

Goddamn i love LeGuin

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Stellaris 2.2: A Martin "Wiz" Anward of Earthsea

Surely you mean 'A Wizanward of EarthSWE'.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

It's a four book series about a big manchild mary suing his way
so a hero on a hero quest?

OwlFancier posted:

except for the fourth book which is about him having a midlife crisis having married the much more interesting protagonist of the second book
the fourth book is an interesting subversion of genre fantasy that only a master like le guin can properly carry off and that only someone who's read more than genre fantasy can understand. what happens after the hero saves the world? what happens when he's old and powerless and has lost the main source of his identity? what kind of story is possible to write under these new conditions? how can the hero happily and substantively replace heroic values with non-heroic values? what do these values consist in? le guin develops a sort of second level meta-fictional narrative of the development of literature itself from the heroic epic to the novel in this way. all this within a fantasy series! it's an incredible accomplishment.

OwlFancier posted:

The books would have been much better if the protagonist of the second book had done her original plan and gone on to have her own series, instead of the goon from the first book showing up and her falling head over heels for his teenage goth phase charms. I guess in that sense it's kind of impressive in a kind of meta sense, like there's this roving metafictional mary sue protagonist going around spoiling three potentially interesting books in the same setting by showing up and hogging all the screen time. I could almost kind of go for this as a theme, books in other genres or settings that start out normal and then Ged shows up and ruins them.
fantasy hero protagonists 'hog screentime' and 'get the girl' because that's what they're supposed to do. it's intrinsic to the structure of the genre. then le guin subverts this genre structure in the fourth book. she has a high understanding of the history of genre and form. she's also a great stylist. none of your criticisms actually rise to the level of apprehending these accomplishments -- let alone engaging with them.

i'm not as familiar with her sci-fi but it's also very good. you'd expect her, as a popular woman writer of genre fiction from the 1970s, to be nothing more than a transparent feminist allegorist. but she's actually far better and cleverer and more expansive than this.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Are they the books that start with a dude bored that the wizard he's meant to be learning magic from isn't actually teaching him any magic and just hiding under trees when it rains and poo poo? Because if so holy poo poo I read those as a child and really should revisit them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zane posted:

so a hero on a hero quest?
the fourth book is an interesting subversion of genre fantasy that only a master like le guin can properly carry off and that only someone who's read more than genre fantasy can understand. what happens after the hero saves the world? what happens when he's old and powerless and has lost the main source of his identity? what kind of story is possible to write under these new conditions? how can the hero happily and substantively replace heroic values with non-heroic values? what do these values consist in? le guin develops a sort of second level meta-fictional narrative of the development of literature itself from the heroic epic to the novel in this way. all this within a fantasy series! it's an incredible accomplishment.
fantasy hero protagonists 'hog screentime' and 'get the girl' because that's what they're supposed to do. it's intrinsic to the structure of the genre. then le guin subverts this genre structure in the fourth book. she has a high understanding of the history of genre and form. she's also a great stylist. none of your criticisms actually rise to the level of apprehending these accomplishments -- let alone engaging with them.

i'm not as familiar with her sci-fi but it's also very good. you'd expect her, as a popular woman writer of genre fiction from the 1970s, to be nothing more than a transparent feminist allegorist. but she's actually far better and cleverer and more expansive than this.

I would say I find all of that decidedly less interesting or appealing than just, like, a fantasy book where the heroes aren't just given everything on a plate and actually have to work to achieve stuff.

Like it's possible to write books about people who are interesting and likeable and relatable, rather than writing deliberately bad characters and then another book that is "oh but I know they are bad ho ho ho very clever" especially if you're expecting people to sit through four books for it. Joseph Campbell already wrote a book about metafictional narrative development or whatever and it was only one book long.

If you're going to write that many words with characters in them you should at least give them some interesting characterization beyond having one of them spout ice cream koans all the time and the other drop any semblance of competence and individuality the moment the first one shows up.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 9, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

dead comedy forums posted:

so I made my fremen-inspired exiled tribes of man fanatic spiritualist peoples and I got a scientist with psi theory in the first year of the game after leveling up

make your way for the kwisatz haderach, xenos
Force spawn that enclave that sells the +army/+fire rate special strategic.

The spice must flow.

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

Stellaris 2.2 ; The ships are made of meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I would say I find all of that decidedly less interesting or appealing than just, like, a fantasy book where the heroes aren't just given everything on a plate and actually have to work to achieve stuff.

Like it's possible to write books about people who are interesting and likeable and relatable, rather than writing deliberately bad characters and then another book that is "oh but I know they are bad ho ho ho very clever" especially if you're expecting people to sit through four books for it. Joseph Campbell already wrote a book about metafictional narrative development or whatever and it was only one book long.

If you're going to write that many words with characters in them you should at least give them some interesting characterization beyond having one of them spout ice cream koans all the time and the other drop any semblance of competence and individuality the moment the first one shows up.

You know, it's OK to not like something. You don't have to justify it to yourself.