Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jason David Frank as Tommy.

No one ever points out that the newest teenager with attitude is blatantly in his 40s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Steve Cardenas as my dog BUSTER

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Jason David Frank as Tommy.

No one ever points out that the newest teenager with attitude is blatantly in his 40s.

I'd buy a ticket just for a credits blooper where they do new Tommy's introduction scene but JDF walks in with a ponytail and green tanktop.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Barbara Goodson as a homeless lady screaming about headaches.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Tammi Oliver dammit

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Funky Valentine posted:

Barbara Goodson as a homeless lady screaming about headaches.

But what would she be playing?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Movie Megazord looks like five things smashed together. It works because that’s what it’s supposed to be, and it’ll make Dragonzord look that much cooler eventually.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Calaveron posted:

Tammi Oliver dammit
Yes, but to add that Extreme and radical teens these days are non-binary, so Tommy Oliver can still be a girl with the name Tommy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Yes, but to add that Extreme and radical teens these days are non-binary, so Tommy Oliver can still be a girl with the name Tommy.

And still played by JDF

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Burkion posted:

And still played by JDF...
's daughter...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FilthyImp posted:

's daughter...

You know this would end up in JDF leeching off of any success that his kid has if she played that part

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Star Man posted:

You know this would end up in JDF leeching off of any success that his kid has if she played that part

No I think he'd be more of a Hulk Hogan and shamelessly promote her 24/7 and try to make her the most famous

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember seeing the flick the movie opening night and the theater was pretty crowded. The 'that's not a girl cow' standard joke got some charity chuckles, but people genuinely laughed at 'You slapped me!' 'Yeah, weird, right?' and loosened up and seemed to really like it. There was applause at the end.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

No I think he'd be more of a Hulk Hogan and shamelessly promote her 24/7 and try to make her the most famous

That was a couple years back.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I went to see it the Monday after opening weekend because I had a day off work and nothing better to do.

Turned out to be my favorite movie of 2017.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The PR movie gave us their version of Billy, which automatically makes it one of the most important versions of Power Rangers ever made.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

The PR movie gave us their version of Billy, which automatically makes it one of the most important versions of Power Rangers ever made.

And also Trini, maybe. I'm not certain if that was ever confirmed or just wishful thinking.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If Trini and Zach weren't part of the core power rangers I would barely even remember them have been in the movie at all

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

It's funny how they went through the effort to make the team not just exactly the same ethnicities as the show, plus adding in more modern-relevant character traits to help flesh them out, but then doubled down and made Jason even whiter and more privileged.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well I think Jason was notably poorer. His dad was a fisherman barely making ends meet, always gone, and Mom maybe dead?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

but then doubled down and made Jason even whiter and more privileged.
It makes his hero/leader arc more effective. But I get where you're coming from.

Trini could have easily come from one of those Pentecostal Latin families where even looking at members of the opposite sex is frowned upon. Her story was pretty vague. Here's hoping Rangers2: ThunderZeo introduces her cute girlfriend, Kat.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Man, Lightspeed Rescue's finale is pretty intense.

CLOSE THE LID
:black101:

E: dammit misremembered the phrase and someone quotes it before I can edit my shame

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 10, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MisterBibs posted:

Man, Lightspeed Rescue's finale is pretty intense.

CUT THE ROPE
:black101:

Carter really is :black101: personified.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Carter really is :black101: personified.

I knew I liked him when his first-episode reaction to a demon monster is "attempt to run the fucker down with my goddamned jeep at speed".

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I wish there was a character that combined the iron balls of Carter Grayson and the smarminess of Captain Marvelous.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think that would just be Captain Marvelous.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MisterBibs posted:

I knew I liked him when his first-episode reaction to a demon monster is "attempt to run the fucker down with my goddamned jeep at speed".

His counterpart in GoGoV does the same thing with a car in the second episode of that series

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Testekill posted:

I wish there was a character that combined the iron balls of Carter Grayson and the smarminess of Captain Marvelous.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You see, the point of including Captain Marvelous is to have charisma.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Troy is a robot and thus does not count.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have only watched Ninja Steel, but it seems like half of the “Neo Saban” rangers are robots. They’re just endless faux enthusiasm, shoutouts to things the show did when it was a phenomenon, and rhyming catchphrases.

AWWW YEAH
UH HUH
IT’S MORPHIN TIME
OPEN THE CAGE, IT’S A RANGER STAGE
WOOOOOO
RANGERS AREN’T STOPPIN’ AND THE MONSTERS KEEP DROPPIN’
THIS IS EPIC
DID YOU CATCH THAT MR SABAN I PUT THE EMPHASIS ON ‘EPIC’
YEEEEHAW
WHEN THE MONSTER GETS BIGGER, PULL THE MEGAZORD TRIGGER
YEAHHHHH AWWWRIGHT WE WUNNNNN
One solo ranger: THAT WAS MORPHINOMENAL [mis-pronounced as “morphin’ animal”]

Like, teach these kids Karate Sounds because they have none besides the occasional “OOYAAHHHHHH” when the Sentai footage goes into CGI 3/4 speed mode.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Well I think Jason was notably poorer. His dad was a fisherman barely making ends meet, always gone, and Mom maybe dead?

Was he? I'll admit, I remember him primarily as being like Emilio Esteves' character in Breakfast Club, which may have coloured my recollection straight into "well, gently caress that worthless piece of poo poo!"

I didn't find Movie Jason very likeable, meanwhile I really dug Movie Zach.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Was he? I'll admit, I remember him primarily as being like Emilio Esteves' character in Breakfast Club, which may have coloured my recollection straight into "well, gently caress that worthless piece of poo poo!"

I didn't find Movie Jason very likeable, meanwhile I really dug Movie Zach.

I got the impression that the only thing he had going for him was football, and then he wanked off a bull or whatever and blew that up too.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
His friend wanked the bull. He crashed the car.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zack just made masturbation jokes and awkwardly stalked/hit on Trini

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Movie Jason was the guy who stood up for Movie Billy without being pressured into it and even though his Clique Cred was in jeopardy. You got the feeling he hung out with Billy later because he stood to benefit from it (getting the ankle tracker removed) but he didn’t just “okay thanks but I can’t be seen with you good luck bye” immediately after he got what he wanted.

I left the movie telling a friend that Jason and Billy was the gay shipping tension, because even though Billy was getting bullied for other reasons, a lot of gay kids know what it’s like to be bullied like that; and also it’s Billy, and it’s kind of hard for fandom to separate that legacy character from David Yost and what happened after this many years. And we all wish at times that some guy that the cool kids would listen to would just sweep in and shut it down like, “no, I’m not gonna accept you tormenting him, so don’t say anything to him you wouldn’t say to me.”

The rest of the time, ehh. The character is sort of defined through his rebellious attitude to both his real Dad and to Zordon, whereas TV Jason was about being Swole AF to the point where his personal demon in one episode was just a bunch of weight on a bar.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Coq au Nandos posted:

I got the impression that the only thing he had going for him was football, and then he wanked off a bull or whatever and blew that up too.
Yeah it was one of those Varsity Blues self sabotage I Dont Want Your Life things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Go Go Power Rangers the comic is nice in that it gives Jason some backstory. The reason he's training to be Captain America Red is because he used to be a bully. Also it gives Trini things to do aside from... uh... care about the environment maybe? (Zach still kinda gets shafted, at least in the first trade.)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It just sort of dawned on me that they should have paid Toei for an episode of Zyu2 where a Dairanger monster defeats the team. It would have asked even less of Toei than the usual Zyu2 episode since not even the monster suit would have been unique.

My god there’s that one key monster who shows up for 2 seconds in the Halloween episode and isn’t ever seen again. Let him lock up the zords. Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's a reason I keep saying that in a smarter world Saban should have skipped Dairanger entirely and gone right to doing Kakuranger(and do that season as a straight adaptation rather than trying to continue to use the Zyuranger suits)