Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
All of the cigar shops near me that aren't Tinder Box are literal money laundering organizations that last a couple years before they get busted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
My friend, https://www.jrcigars.com

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Imagine that, the pulley is reusable if you don't use a loving 3-jaw puller to yank it off (thanks, PO's fuckwit shop).

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
On cigar chat I've found the Aging Room Quattro F55 to be a most excellent stick. I need to setup an ammodor as my cheap humidor doesn't hold humidity for poo poo.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Fo3 posted:

Everything is expensive here, especially booze and smokes.
I had some looking around for prices and cohiba seems to have gone up a lot since I last had a smoke (couldn't even find clasico you speak of), but montecristo and h upmann seems to be lower in price compared to years ago when I last smoked: $20-30 for an entry one, and around $20 for a partagas, so I have no idea why slothrop can't find a cuban here.

Most good bottleshops here had a humidor so you could buy a cigar while you buy your rip off priced whisky as well. But most good large bottleshops have disappeared because the grocery chains bought them out and they aren't interested in tobacco there anymore. Slothrop lives pretty far away from Perth so maybe online shops or a city tobacconist is the best bet

To be fair I haven’t looked since moving to Melbourne. I have been into a shitload of bottle shops as part of my job, good ones, and haven’t seen cigars. I guess I’ll go hunt out a tobacconist. I’m catching up with some old mates in a few weeks so perhaps we can find a good cigar experience

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Adiabatic posted:

If you ever want to put a pulley on in about 5 seconds, all you need is a Jormungandr:

This is blatantly unfair. You're not supposed to do that, that's how you ruin the bearing or in my case, back plate of the pump. You're supposed to use the installer tool. Doing this cost me 150 dollars and you get away with it scot free?!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

This is blatantly unfair. You're not supposed to do that, that's how you ruin the bearing or in my case, back plate of the pump. You're supposed to use the installer tool. Doing this cost me 150 dollars and you get away with it scot free?!

Your vise, sir, is no Jormungandr.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

kastein posted:

1 week update: 1,500 miles with zero issues :smugdog:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Witchcraft.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Ouroboros

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The shortbed MJ is up on the lift. Got an insane WOMPWOMPWOMP over 65. Gonna shotgun approach the front end with U&L BJs, wheel u-joints, wheel bearings, pads, rotors. Also going to install a 4x4 Posi-lock manual cable for the front diff, as well as the correct ratio diff that's been sitting in the passenger seat since I got it. Just in time for it to be completely useless in this major hurricane heading our way!

Just spent $625 on all this poo poo. I bought it from iForge for $750...

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Don't you literally have a (sail) boat? Also, doesn't the Merc qualify as a land yacht? You should be covered.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Don't mind me just being spooky

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I am SO DUMB.

iForge sold me this Comanche with an extra 3.55 front diff in the passenger seat, saying he was gonna swap it in so it matched the rear. I didn't probe further into this.

The Comanche had a howling wheel bearing, so I'm like whatever I'll go ahead and replace this 3.73 D30 front diff with that 3.55, assuming the back was 3.55 as well.

Get into it, notice the diff binds and of course I'm gonna have to shim everything. Then I start wondering about the rear. I check, it's a loving D35 with 3.07 gears. He was going to swap in a D44 with 3.55s in the rear since the D35 explodes like a motherfucker, and I conveniently didn't hear that part.

So now I'm leaving the 3.55 pinion in, leaving the axles and diff out, and removing the prop shaft just to have a driveable 2wd Comanche to quit putting so many miles on the AMG.

Then, tonight as I'm putting the diff cover back on, I realize kastein gave me a D44 rear way back when. It's literally sitting in the shed right now. I go to check the tag out and lo and loving behold:

:downs: :downs: :downs: :downs: :downs:

Still gonna makeshift 2wd it until the MR2 engine gets done (SOON^TM) but this makes the search much easier.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
You can fully assemble the front axle and just not install the driveshaft and it will be fine.

At least leave the stub shafts in, wheel bearings will come apart otherwise.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 3, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Issue with that being the diff is binding with current shims. I didn't know about the wheel bearings being unstable without stub shafts. You're talking just the spline up to the U joint, with nothing inside the axle? I plan on covering the axle tubes as well.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh I get you. The wheel bearing would move inwards without the stub shaft clamping it. Excellent I'll pop them on. Thanks for the info!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You know you belong in AI when you forget entire Jeep axles on your property.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Technically I think I sold you that axle and a bunch of other stuff for like 100 bucks, actually. Though with market price of factory 44s being 300-600 I guess I basically gave it to you :v:

Definitely keep the shafts from the ujoint outward in or you will lose a wheel like they said. Axle nut torque is 175 foot pounds.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

kastein you are worth your weight in gold, my friend.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
now I want to know how many axles kastein has on his property

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

8ender posted:

now I want to know how many axles kastein has on his property

Does he even know? After all, if you don't keep the fronts and rears in separate enclosures...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

At one point they were stacked like cordwood in the corner of the yard but I sold most of them from 2012-2013. I think there are only 3 in the yard that aren't under vehicles or halves of vehicles, but there are about 4 or 5 at my hangar.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Day 175... glacial pace on the truck continues. My crew tells me they're in good spirits, but I see their downtrodden faces in the instant before they catch my gaze.

The hubs are torqued, all ball joints in. We are truly nearly at the finish line, but I fear that phrase has lost its meaning.

Little do they know the whole MR2 rebuild lies just over that horizon we struggle to reach. The poor bastards.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Day 175... glacial pace on the truck continues. My crew tells me they're in good spirits, but I see their downtrodden faces in the instant before they catch my gaze.

The hubs are torqued, all ball joints in. We are truly nearly at the finish line, but I fear that phrase has lost its meaning.

Little do they know the whole MR2 rebuild lies just over that horizon we struggle to reach. The poor bastards.

Look how fatigued he is.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

toplitzin posted:

Look how fatigued he is.

Who?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:haw:

Anyone have any good writeups on Dana 30 rebuilds? I'd like to actually get this 3.55 installed and working up front at some point.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Not really, but assuming you're reusing the existing gears, just pull all the bearings, reuse the same shims and put new bearings in. Getting the inner pinion bearing race out without mangling the shim stack and pinion oil baffle is going to be the hardest part - and the baffle is part of the shim stack so if you do mangle it buy new shims, measure the old stack and reproduce it with the new stack.

You'll also want a new pinion seal, nut, and washer.

Are the bearings actually bad? If not I'd just run em till they are.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah I need to get a bearing puller and take those shims off. Thanks Ken!

Bearings seem fine.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Holy poo poo the Comanche is back together! With fresh hubs and ball joints!

kastein, that D44 you gave me, I recall you saying something about it needing something welded since it's from a Cherokee or some such nonsense?

Anywho, time to finally focus on getting this MR2 back up and running. I miss it dearly.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Adiabatic posted:

kastein, that D44 you gave me, I recall you saying something about it needing something welded since it's from a Cherokee or some such nonsense?

Cherokees are spring under, Comanches are spring over. You'll have to relocate the spring perches to the tops of the axle tubes.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh excellent. I've got just the guy to help me relocate them bitches. Time to pull the D44 out of the shed and compare it to the D35 on the trukk.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm 99% sure I tore that out of a white MJ at Sam's pick n pull, it should just bolt in. It needs brakes I think? And maybe a diff cover. I can't remember at this point.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

2000 Lexus LX470 4.7L V8.

Friend complains of multiple misfires on the entirety of bank 2 (cylinders 2, 4, 6, and 8). Running like dogshit. Pulling COP plugs on all cylinders on bank 2 have zero effect on idle. What's wrong?

If you already know you don't get to play obviously...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I have to sit this out, but oooh man what a fuckin doozy.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Terrible O2 sensor failure?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I see the possibilities as:
Some bizzaro wiring fault was causing that entire bank to not fire.
The 2-8 bank wasn't receiving adequate fuel pressure due to an issue with the line or the rails.
O2 sensor lying to the ECU.
ECU flipping it's poo poo with and going into single bank limp mode. I don't know enough about Toyota ECUs to elaborate.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Snapped cam?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

zundfolge posted:

Snapped cam?

Super close!

Wrar posted:

I see the possibilities as:
Some bizzaro wiring fault was causing that entire bank to not fire.
The 2-8 bank wasn't receiving adequate fuel pressure due to an issue with the line or the rails.
O2 sensor lying to the ECU.
ECU flipping it's poo poo with and going into single bank limp mode. I don't know enough about Toyota ECUs to elaborate.

All of that was poo poo we were looking into until I decided to check timing as a "just to rule it out" measure...

Crank:

Bank 1:

Bank 2:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
*HISSES NOISILY*

What. the. gently caress. dude.

What even does that?