Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It might almost be worth it to watch Tom cruise start praising dianetics only to get him played off to which he calls everyone jerks with more sincerity than a Meryl Streep performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Alan Smithee posted:

Has Sonic the burger chain ever done a promo tie in with sonic the hedgehog

You know what's fuckin weird, they are known for their golden onion rings, and chili cheese dogs

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

I think you know the answer to "Has [GOOD DECISION] ever been made when managing the Sonic the Hedgehog brand"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SimonCat posted:

When are we going to get a big budget adaptation of the Protomen's Mega-Man rock opera?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protomen_(album)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZsUAqaOiHU

I want them to do a Akira rock opera.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think Mega Man is particularly adaptable. Astro Boy, the closest analogue, was a complete flop. Their latest attempt at adaptation on Cartoon Network is really bad (judged as a kids show compared to other current kids shows). There was a cartoon future robot movie a few years back with like Elijah Wood... The Nine? That also flopped.

I guess humanoid robots just kinda suck cinematically maybe?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Honestly, the way you make Mega Man is you eschew the actual games themselves and adapt the original box art. Cast John C. Reilly, put him in a football helmet and yellow and blue jumpsuit, and make him go fistfight a lumberjack robot.

I’d watch that movie.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fart City posted:

Honestly, the way you make Mega Man is you eschew the actual games themselves and adapt the original box art. Cast John C. Reilly, put him in a football helmet and yellow and blue jumpsuit, and make him go fistfight a lumberjack robot.

I’d watch that movie.

From here on, every movie I see that isn't this will be a disappointment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

My 8 year old self was sure pissed there wasn't in the mid 90s.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

How about an Oscar for "Best Ensemble Cast" or something?

Crash wins again

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4_AQxMeN0

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think I'm going to like that movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I don't think Mega Man is particularly adaptable. Astro Boy, the closest analogue, was a complete flop. Their latest attempt at adaptation on Cartoon Network is really bad (judged as a kids show compared to other current kids shows). There was a cartoon future robot movie a few years back with like Elijah Wood... The Nine? That also flopped.

I guess humanoid robots just kinda suck cinematically maybe?

9 was actually really loving good and just flopped because it's kind of a hard sell, being a scary PG-13 cartoon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh yeah The Nine was a musical about some Italian guy who had sex with a bunch of women

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

9 was actually really loving good and just flopped because it's kind of a hard sell, being a scary PG-13 cartoon.

I remember enjoying it, but I think I felt that it needed some more polish, as everything just "was"

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Latest Sony Spider-less-verse news:

Silver & Black is completely scrapped, Silver Sable and Black Cat will now each get their own movies.

A Silk movie is confirmed to be in early development

A Jackpot movie is also confirmed to be in early development. I had to actually look up who that was, it is a character that debuted in 2007 and I guess her hook is she is a bit older than the usual super powered early 20s movies.

Also don't forget Jared Leto as Morbius and the Kraven the Hunter movie, both of which also exist in some form

Expect all of this to change many more times and also hinge spectacularly, amazingly, on the box office numbers of Venom

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/whats-next-for-the-spider-man-universe-after-venom-exclusive-1202900203/

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I hope all those Spider-less movies turn out good, but I don't trust Sony without any help from Marvel.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tars Tarkas posted:

Silver & Black is completely scrapped, Silver Sable and Black Cat will now each get their own movies.

A Jackpot movie is also confirmed to be in early development. I had to actually look up who that was, it is a character that debuted in 2007 and I guess her hook is she is a bit older than the usual super powered early 20s movies.

Also don't forget Jared Leto as Morbius and the Kraven the Hunter movie, both of which also exist in some form

Expect all of this to change many more times and also hinge spectacularly, amazingly, on the box office numbers of Venom

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/whats-next-for-the-spider-man-universe-after-venom-exclusive-1202900203/

Jackpot's hook originally was that they were heavily teasing her as being Mary Jane. Past that the character is memorable for uhhhhhhhhh

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tars Tarkas posted:

Which is just bizarre to me, since none of those movies seem like they would have the same demographics as Venom. Except maybe Morbius? But even that seems like a stretch.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Tars Tarkas posted:

Sometimes a movie studio more closely resembles a double decker bus, careening down a mountain with no brakes and nobody at the wheel

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
How much do you think Disney has offered Sony, in cash, for control of the Spidey rights? I am guessing at least 10 times the net profits they will wind up with after sinking millions of dollars and manhours into this "stand-alone" series built on secondary and tertiary characters most notable for being associated with Spider-Man.

There is probably a post-it note somewhere in Amy Pascal's office that says "Can Doc Ock use arms to swing around NYC? Hero?"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

How about an Oscar for "Best Ensemble Cast" or something?

I read an article about awards that should have been added instead of "Best Popular Film", and it noted that the only person named in the lead credits not able to win an Oscar for their work is the casting director, and they just had their own section of the Academy created, so my guess is that would be the next one (unless they're dumb and decide that adding more technical awards is a bad idea"

Best Casting would be great.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JethroMcB posted:

There is probably a post-it note somewhere in Amy Pascal's office that says "Can Doc Ock use arms to swing around NYC? Hero?"

The comics already kinda did this anyway.
Dr. Octopus replaced Peter Parker as Spider-Man for a time and in a few months seems like he's returning as a heroic Dr. Octopus.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spider-Man, Spider-Man
Active member of Instagram
He's so cool, can't you see?
Everything is just N.B.D.
Look ooouuuuuut!
Here comes the Spider-Maaaaaaaaaan!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Lobok posted:

The comics already kinda did this anyway.
Dr. Octopus replaced Peter Parker as Spider-Man for a time and in a few months seems like he's returning as a heroic Dr. Octopus.

I knew the former (I believe there was a website for "Is Doc Ock still Spiderman" that I checked regularly) but wasn't aware of the potential face turn.

Stop giving Sony ideas and material!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tars Tarkas posted:

[...]

"And we shall call it... the Dork Universe!"

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Spider-Man, Spider-Man
Active member of Instagram
He's so cool, can't you see?
Everything is just N.B.D.
Look ooouuuuuut!
Here comes the Spider-Maaaaaaaaaan!

Can't wait to be an exclusive, cool member of Spidey's Snapchat Story

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mameluke posted:

Can't wait to be an exclusive, cool member of Spidey's Snapchat Story

Very buzzworthy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Actually if they had Spider-Man do a Periscope where halfway through he had to bust a criminal and used deceptive camera work to make it look real that would be cool

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sudbina posted:

I hope all those Spider-less movies turn out good, but I don't trust Sony without any help from Marvel.

I hope Venom turns out OK. Not great and especially not spectacularly successful, just OK. Moderately positive reception, it doesn't make a billion dollars but the people that do see it come away satisfied.

People at Sony will sweat bullets, not knowing what to do.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wait, hold up!
Is your Spider-Sense tingling?
Nah, I'm getting hella Likes on my Insta!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh yeah The Nine was a musical about some Italian guy who had sex with a bunch of women

Then there's The Nines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5mFAc1OTVM

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And that all came out the same year, while Herman Cain pushed his 999 tax plan

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And all in the year 1999, too. Weird.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Spidey being a social media star just seems very a-pro-pro for a modern teen version of the character.

Sudbina posted:

They did just fine with Jumanji 2.

Right now it seems the buzz for Venom is incredibly positive from the comments I’ve seen, namely that Sony created a ‘proper’ live action Venom. I think Sony would make Kraven or Morbius an antagonist in a Venom sequel if the first is successful.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

When are we finally going to get a movie about how massively unethical Peter Parker’s whole journalism career is?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Until Trump took office, I was pretty sure that Herman Cain quoting the motherfucking Pokemon movie in his speech when he dropped out of the race was the most bizarre and ludicrous thing I'd ever see or hear of in politics. (Outside of the stories of LBJ liking to go up to guys he was arguing with and literally grabbing them by the balls.)

Of course, now we have Space Force.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 9, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
LBJ would dictate letters to his secretary in his personal bathroom whilst taking shits.

He also used to gross people out during golf by lifting up his shirt and showing them his appendectomy scar.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

They did just fine with Jumanji 2.

Jumanji 3 will be bigger than Star Wars 9.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

You really might want to see a doctor about your bizarre obsession with Star Wars box office numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

In a bizarre twist, both movies will lose out to Little Giants 2.