Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Come up with a new UI paradigm, because honestly Wear kinda sucks in a lot of ways that won't be fixed by a magical new SoC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
gently caress the traditional watch paradigm, go nuts with a three inch rectangular display so I have what amounts to a miniaturized pip-boy. I'm not concerned about bulk, I've worn those massive G-Shocks no problem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Steal rotating bezel navigation from Samsung.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

isndl posted:

gently caress the traditional watch paradigm, go nuts with a three inch rectangular display so I have what amounts to a miniaturized pip-boy. I'm not concerned about bulk, I've worn those massive G-Shocks no problem.

The Neptune Pine has come and gone

isndl
May 2, 2012

Rastor posted:

The Neptune Pine has come and gone

Not the first gadget to be ahead of its time. :smith:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

isndl posted:

Not the first gadget to be ahead of its time. :smith:

Was it actually good or are you guys making a joke?

I work with a lot of people that wear apple watches but I don't think I've even seen a non-samsung wear device IRL.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

isndl posted:

https://m.geekbuying.com/item/DM98-3G-Smart-Watch-Phone---Black-374401.html

isndl
May 2, 2012

Only 2.2 inches on that screen though. I'm also kinda leery of anything running such an old version of Android at this point, even if it does claim to have Play support (do most apps even work at that resolution?).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

64bit_Dophins posted:

Was it actually good or are you guys making a joke?

I work with a lot of people that wear apple watches but I don't think I've even seen a non-samsung wear device IRL.

Smartwatches have - to my surprise - exploded in popularity at my work recently, but I haven't seen many apple watches, and never see Samsung. Every time I got to Seattle/SF I see a ton though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I realised recently that I haven't been getting notifications on my watch for useful stuff like Hangouts for a while now. Do I have to do something to enable that? It used to just work. I only seem to get weird poo poo like Twitter notifications.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I realised recently that I haven't been getting notifications on my watch for useful stuff like Hangouts for a while now. Do I have to do something to enable that? It used to just work. I only seem to get weird poo poo like Twitter notifications.

I'm still getting Hangouts notifications. I know this doesn't help you except to let you know that it's not intended behavior. As lovely as it is to do, you might have to reset the watch and start from scratch. I've found that Wear just needs that done from time to time.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Smartwatches have - to my surprise - exploded in popularity at my work recently, but I haven't seen many apple watches, and never see Samsung. Every time I got to Seattle/SF I see a ton though.

What kind of workplace do you have I'm curious.

That would make sense though. I live in a big city so that could be the reason why I see so many apple watches. Maybe they're trendy?

So what kind of smart watches are they wearing if it's not samsung or apple?

I never seen anyone wearing anything but that.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
I live in a town of around 10k and grocery store cahiers and gas station attendants have Apple watches. I've seen a couple of Motorola watches and one Pebble.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fitbits are definitely the most common here, in Vancouver. Apple Watch is 2nd.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

I see a lot of fitbit smartwatches.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fitbits are definitely the most common here, in Vancouver. Apple Watch is 2nd.

Nerdrock posted:

I see a lot of fitbit smartwatches.

That would make sense. I don't see a whole lot of those but I do see a lot of people wearing the regular "non-watch" fitbits.

elmer chud posted:

I live in a town of around 10k and grocery store cahiers and gas station attendants have Apple watches. I've seen a couple of Motorola watches and one Pebble.

That has been my experience seeing apple watches around as well. I work in an office that is attached to the warehouse where we store hundreds of thousands of mobile devices (it's the not the most ideal setup but we're moving soon). All of the warehouse workers (for the most part) have iPhones and apple watches. Also the warehouse worker parking lot has much nicer cars than the office parking lot like leased 3 series/mercs/etc. The office lot has old Hondas and stuff like that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I switched to a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and absolutely love it. I might try Wear again when actually decent hardware comes out but I don't miss it at all.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

CLAM DOWN posted:

I switched to a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and absolutely love it. I might try Wear again when actually decent hardware comes out but I don't miss it at all.

I didn't even know that Garmin made watches until my boss showed me his Vivoactive 3 which made me want to get a smart watch in the first place. I for sure get why you like it, I just didn't want to spend $200 for something that I might only use for a few weeks so I dipped my toes in with a pebble lol.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

64bit_Dophins posted:

That has been my experience seeing apple watches around as well. I work in an office that is attached to the warehouse where we store hundreds of thousands of mobile devices (it's the not the most ideal setup but we're moving soon). All of the warehouse workers (for the most part) have iPhones and apple watches. Also the warehouse worker parking lot has much nicer cars than the office parking lot like leased 3 series/mercs/etc. The office lot has old Hondas and stuff like that.

I have a suspicion that Apple Watches are selling very well in large part to the fact that carriers will finance them with zero interest and from what I have seen they tend to be extremely generous in granting credit if you have an established account.

Like invariably people I know absolutely don't have the money to be spending it on an Apple Watch have the red crown.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I have a suspicion that Apple Watches are selling very well in large part to the fact that carriers will finance them with zero interest and from what I have seen they tend to be extremely generous in granting credit if you have an established account.

Like invariably people I know absolutely don't have the money to be spending it on an Apple Watch have the red crown.

Yeah. Many find an extra $20 a month for the next 2 years on your cell phone bill being a lot more palatable.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I'm still getting Hangouts notifications. I know this doesn't help you except to let you know that it's not intended behavior. As lovely as it is to do, you might have to reset the watch and start from scratch. I've found that Wear just needs that done from time to time.
I checked the Android Wear app and it had Hangouts, Whatsapp and a couple of other apps set to disabled notifications. I have no clue why, there's no way I added these myself. Not worn the watch today to check if this has fixed it but I imagine that was the cause. Odd though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I checked the Android Wear app and it had Hangouts, Whatsapp and a couple of other apps set to disabled notifications. I have no clue why, there's no way I added these myself. Not worn the watch today to check if this has fixed it but I imagine that was the cause. Odd though.

On this advice I decided to check out the Wear app since it was updated in the last week. Hey, Google Sans is everywhere and it's less ugly! Also, it had revoked permission for the watch to manage phone calls which I had to turn back on, a function I know used to work, so yeah, I guess maybe people should check the Wear app to see if anything changed?

Thanks for the heads up.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Three Olives posted:

Nerdrock posted:

Yeah. Many find an extra $20 a month for the next 2 years on your cell phone bill being a lot more palatable.

Yeah that's what I figured. $20/month for two years doesn't sound like a lot "wow I make $20/month!".

I checked and it looks like AT&T has a 12 month plan for all "accessories" (including bluetooth speakers and stuff like that.) This also explains why I see so many people with those around the neck bluetooth earbuds.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/accessories-monthly-payment.html

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I've heard rumors of a Pixel watch on various Android news sites.

Is there any evidence backing this beyond hearsay?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well, there's a difference between hearsay and reliable sources.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

You'll know more as we approach October 4. They might announce something near the Qualcomm announcement in September but I wouldn't count on it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

64bit_Dophins posted:

Qualcomm's promos for its upcoming reveal make it very obvious that it's gonna be for a watch. I'd post it but it's I'm on my phone so maybe another kind soul could do it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

64bit_Dophins posted:

What kind of workplace do you have I'm curious.

That would make sense though. I live in a big city so that could be the reason why I see so many apple watches. Maybe they're trendy?

Luxury hospitality, would rather not get more specific than that. It's in downtown Vancouver (pop. 2.5 million) which is a pretty typical west coast town for tech related stuff.

I see mostly health-focused watches and many variants of those Fossil made brands (I think Fossil makes them?) with wear os.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Qualcomm's promos for its upcoming reveal make it very obvious that it's gonna be for a watch. I'd post it but it's I'm on my phone so maybe another kind soul could do it.

That's the same reason I didn't post the date! It's September 10th.

Even if the watch is announced then, it wouldn't surprise me if you weren't able to order it until October 4th with the phones or even later. After all, there's been no FCC filing yet.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

New Samsung watch might have Wear OS. Got me smart watch buying tinglies again

...still Tizen :(

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Does tizen have google maps integration?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Android Police posted:

This watch will run an upgraded version of Samsung's Tizen OS. A big change this time is the availability of Bixby voice control on the watch, which doesn't seem to work very well based on the Unpacked demos. It's still better than S Voice on the last-gen Gear watches which basically didn't work at all.

So they went from "Completely nonfunctional checkbox feature" to "Somewhat nonfunctional checkbox feature". Never change, Samsung...

Also this passage was in an article linked to from one on the same site entitled "If the Galaxy Watch really delivers on Samsung's claims, I just might reconsider wearing a smartwatch" which doesn't exactly speak highly of buyers' expectations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

So they went from "Completely nonfunctional checkbox feature" to "Somewhat nonfunctional checkbox feature". Never change, Samsung...

Also this passage was in an article linked to from one on the same site entitled "If the Galaxy Watch really delivers on Samsung's claims, I just might reconsider wearing a smartwatch" which doesn't exactly speak highly of buyers' expectations.

I'm pretty happy with my Gear S3, but I did get it for free and haven't tried to use voice even once. That said I still think the Gear's UI combined with Android Wear and some Apple level polish would be the perfect smartwatch. In my admittedly brief time with Wear OS I wasn't a fan.

All signs point to a revamped Wear later this year though so I'm keeping an open mind.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

I'm pretty happy with my Gear S3, but I did get it for free and haven't tried to use voice even once. That said I still think the Gear's UI combined with Android Wear and some Apple level polish would be the perfect smartwatch. In my admittedly brief time with Wear OS I wasn't a fan.

All signs point to a revamped Wear later this year though so I'm keeping an open mind.

To be entirely fair to Samsung here, Wear is way worse than the Gear OS, voice on Wear OS doesn't work well either (although it's not connected to Bixby so there is that), and the hardware is probably nicer than your average Wear device too. Like I said, there's not exactly a high bar to cross to be the best.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently reset my phone and hence my watch. Now, I can't figure out how to get Our Groceries back into my watch. It doesn't show up in a Play Store search. How do I get it back?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I recently reset my phone and hence my watch. Now, I can't figure out how to get Our Groceries back into my watch. It doesn't show up in a Play Store search. How do I get it back?

Is it still packaged with the phone app?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Is it still packaged with the phone app?

I'm not really sure how to tell. The Play Store listing for the phone app has the watch icon, but synching my phone apps through the Wear OS app doesn't seem to add Our Groceries to the watch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The way it should work is that the watch just prompts you that there are apps on your phone with a corresponding watch app and would you like to install it. It's always worked for me so I don't know how to troubleshoot.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://www.woot.com/category/electronics?ref=w_gh_el_4

Few hours left on this, honestly if I hadn't moved to iOS and an Apple Watch I would be all over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Three Olives posted:

https://www.woot.com/category/electronics?ref=w_gh_el_4

Few hours left on this, honestly if I hadn't moved to iOS and an Apple Watch I would be all over this.

Uh you linked a remote control. Logitech Harmony.