Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The 2nd part I believe though. Jeeps seem to be worth the same amount forever always, and Subarus depreciate by like $100 a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Certain M cars have gone back up in value lately, which looks good if you ignore the costs of maintaining and owning them for 20+ years.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is this true? I am fairly certain that M series value plummets hard and fast.

I retract that as a blanket statement for BMWs. Certain models are good, though (As an anomaly, the 1M has appreciated in value, used ones cost more now then when they were new).

Edmunds has the M2 as an 'honorable mention' for best retained value in its class for 2018, but its class is "Luxury sport car" so take that for what it's worth.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

spend less on gourds

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Sirotan posted:

spend less on gourds

no

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Phanatic posted:

I retract that as a blanket statement for BMWs.
Yeah, you can buy a 3-year old 3-series for <50% of MSRP. I have no idea about Ms because :thermidor:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The M2, M3, and M4 can all be had for five figures, well below the $100,001 guillotine cutoff

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Re: car financing: secure your loan through a credit union before you start shopping. They will stop you from buying anything egregiously stupid, because they'll just refuse to finance it (the ones I've dealt with, anyway). They also usually have hard maximums on their APRs, too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think the APR on my car was 0.9% but it went through Honda since I didn't expect to get a lower rate than that going through my bank or a CU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Car chat is worse than John Smith chat. You guys ignored the amazing gourd story to talk about stupid BMW's. Think about that.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I traded in a four year old Subaru for only $2k less than I paid for it to buy an M3.

No ban pls.

Really, M cars depreciate quite a bit. Particularly if they have a lovely V10 that constantly blows up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

potatoducks posted:

Car chat is worse than John Smith chat. You guys ignored the amazing gourd story to talk about stupid BMW's. Think about that.

I don’t think we’ve ever heard John Smith’s opinion on cars. Or gourds.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

potatoducks posted:

Nobody ignored the gourd story but what else needs to be said about it, lady is like the dril candles budget tweet but for squash

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FAUXTON posted:

Nobody ignored the gourd story but what else needs to be said about it, lady is like the dril candles budget tweet but for squash
And she's denying anything is wrong as they turn to mush. That's hoarding behavior and she needs help.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

And she's denying anything is wrong as they turn to mush. That's hoarding behavior and she needs help.

Yeah, this is more why I didn't comment. She's pretty clearly mentally ill, and that's less funny and more sad.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They're dual income with no kids, so they can have whatever dumbass hobbies they want. But if they decide to get busy and pump kin out, they'll need to stop.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

(obligatory) That woman in absolutely out of her gourd!!!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If my partner was wasting so much money on something so useless I know I'd be at least a little melloncholy.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Phanatic posted:

If my partner was wasting so much money on something so useless I know I'd be at least a little melloncholy.
Definitely gotta squash those spending habits.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Gourd puns are hard.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Xenocides posted:

Gourd puns are hard.

Give it a little time for them to ripen

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Moneyball posted:

Can we just squash this derail right from the start?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
He'll never be head of a major corporation

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Moneyball posted:

Are you saying I butternut post acorn-y gourd pun?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can’t say that the cell phone installment plan gig is that bad of an idea, other than buying used or previous model phones which is clearly the GWM path. My T-mobile plan is $85 after tax (not including the installment plan of $16.67) for 2 phones and 2 tablets, each with 6gb and free streaming video and audio. I opted for the installment plan because they were offering $300 trade-in on used iPhones, of which mine would never have gotten more than $200 on Craigslist for being all scratched up and dinged, but met their criteria.

I don’t have a $150 plan and other than paying the tax up front it seems okay to spread the remaining cost (less $300) over 24 months interest free. I’d obviously prefer just to pay it all off and collect the trade-in up front, but I can manage.

I need to understand the terms of the trade-in for T-mobile to know if their plan is BWM or not. I don’t know what happens to my monthly credit I receive ($300/24 each month). If it is a trade-in and kick the plan out another 24 months for $16.67, doesn’t seem that awful.

It’s definitely not GWM though, I won’t dispute that.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Dik Hz posted:

Are you saying I butternut post acorn-y gourd pun?

:frogout:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

he canteloupe from the thread after a post like that

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DarkHorse posted:

I really did not understand a lot of the advertising saying stuff like "I got my payments to $XXX a month!" I kept thinking "but for how long? You haven't given me enough information to decide if that's good or not!"

Privilege is a hell of a drug

The advertising says that because 'how many dollars do I get this month' is the extent of roughly half of the country's financial planning. Not because privilege, but because when you live paycheck to paycheck a 5 year payoff might as well be next century, because you know emergencies are going to happen between now and then and poo poo will get all hosed up.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

I think the APR on my car was 0.9% but it went through Honda since I didn't expect to get a lower rate than that going through my bank or a CU

Like I don’t think I’ve seen a car commercial that has an interest rate above 3%, how does 20% seem reasonable if you have seen a car commercial before?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

TraderStav posted:

Can’t say that the cell phone installment plan gig is that bad of an idea, other than buying used or previous model phones which is clearly the GWM path. My T-mobile plan is $85 after tax (not including the installment plan of $16.67) for 2 phones and 2 tablets, each with 6gb and free streaming video and audio. I opted for the installment plan because they were offering $300 trade-in on used iPhones, of which mine would never have gotten more than $200 on Craigslist for being all scratched up and dinged, but met their criteria.

I don’t have a $150 plan and other than paying the tax up front it seems okay to spread the remaining cost (less $300) over 24 months interest free. I’d obviously prefer just to pay it all off and collect the trade-in up front, but I can manage.

I need to understand the terms of the trade-in for T-mobile to know if their plan is BWM or not. I don’t know what happens to my monthly credit I receive ($300/24 each month). If it is a trade-in and kick the plan out another 24 months for $16.67, doesn’t seem that awful.

It’s definitely not GWM though, I won’t dispute that.

Nobody gives a poo poo about your stupid phone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

crazypeltast52 posted:

Like I don’t think I’ve seen a car commercial that has an interest rate above 3%, how does 20% seem reasonable if you have seen a car commercial before?

All their credit cards are 27%. 20% is a bargain!

The answer is they’re going entirely on monthly payment amount. They don’t question the interest rate or length as long as the note comes in under $400.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

n8r posted:

Fuckin' calm down man, lol. It's literally a topic being discussed in this very thread and put an end to the dumbass Pumpkin Puns (Punkins?)

It wasn't the most gripping post but it doesn't deserve the Report you doubtlessly gave it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

This post is incorrect. I actually did give a poo poo about his/her stupid phone.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

crazypeltast52 posted:

"For qualified buyers"

They are self-aware enough to know that does not apply to them.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I love catching my husband before he reads the thread

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They're dual income with no kids, so they can have whatever dumbass hobbies they want. But if they decide to get busy and pump kin out, they'll need to stop.

She's unemployed.

Edit: and apparently spending ~$1000/month on gourds

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
It's decorative gourd season, motherfuckers.

Also available in mug form:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Pumpkin beers are already on the shelves, too.

I wish those things would go away but apparently they’re very GWM for the breweries.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Phanatic posted:

Pumpkin beers are already on the shelves, too.

I wish those things would go away but apparently they’re very GWM for the breweries.

pumpkin spice everything is extremely gourd with money for nearly every place that tries it and life is hell for 3 months as a result, then they make peppermint everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

pumpkin spice everything is extremely gourd with money for nearly every place that tries it and life is hell for 3 months as a result, then they make peppermint everything.

Christmas beers are the bomb.