Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
:69snypa: AGAIN! I wanted the Ball guy

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was pretty close to taking roquan smith but thought maybe nobody would bust into IDPs until round three. And you guys went on an absolute tear on RBs in the first round so I felt like I had to grab the last one on my list.

e. oh god, this custom title sucks

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm open to trading out of the third round, I don't know if there's any interest in that though. Looking to increase my picks in the later rounds.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I was pretty close to taking roquan smith but thought maybe nobody would bust into IDPs until round three. And you guys went on an absolute tear on RBs in the first round so I felt like I had to grab the last one on my list.

e. oh god, this custom title sucks

There were 8 first round RBs in this draft. Rookie ADP reflects that - those 8 were expected. The only surprising picks in the first were the QBs and Miller.

Hines you took around his ADP and ballage went a tiny bit early.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm open to trading out of the third round, I don't know if there's any interest in that though. Looking to increase my picks in the later rounds.

I'm open to this but I think I might have traded all my picks away until like round 7

Leperflesh posted:

:same:

Zauper posted:

There were 8 first round RBs in this draft. Rookie ADP reflects that - those 8 were expected. The only surprising picks in the first were the QBs and Miller.

Hines you took around his ADP and ballage went a tiny bit early.

I was hoping Hines would fall so I could grab him as a hedge for Mack because yikes

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I was hoping Hines would fall so I could grab him as a hedge for Mack because yikes

I had been planning to take Hines at 2.02, and definitely at 2.09. Wilkins is the other threat to Mack. I think Mack is on his way out tbh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was actually looking at vander esch as a handcuff for sean lee as well, and am annoyed he also went, and am wondering if opening my fat mouth last night cost me.

By ADP he shoulda still been there at 3.05, although 3.03 isn't egregiously early.

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
Guess I could've traded for miller by picking a RB earlier on but I figured Miller wouldn't be available at 18. I like his work ethic. And Roquan Smith... should be a tackling machine, assuming he plays at all this year. Some articles say he is willing to re-enter the draft next year. But this new helmet rule in the NFL is making me lose interest in football all together. How the hell are players supposed to tackle any more? Not only can they be fined for tackling by leading with the helmet but they can be ejected and have their guaranteed money voided from their contract. sketchy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arm tackling is a thing. There may be cases where the offense has an advantage, but that's fine. The alternative is destruction of men's brains or spines or whatever, and that's intolerable, and if the NFL does not eliminate it, football is doomed. DBs are simply going to have to adjust to the reality that they cannot spear themselves into another guy, and that may mean more scoring, but if so, well, their own team can presumably score more easily too.

There are plenty of DBs in the league who have figured out how to not draw a penalty while still being effective tacklers. The remainder who don't are risking winding up like Shazier.

There was a time when football had no forward pass. There was a time when the players didn't even wear helmets. The game evolves. The rules restrict what each position and player can do, as they always have and always will, and truly great players find ways to be at the top of their position within the rules.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I was actually looking at vander esch as a handcuff for sean lee as well, and am annoyed he also went, and am wondering if opening my fat mouth last night cost me.

By ADP he shoulda still been there at 3.05, although 3.03 isn't egregiously early.

Dunno about alfalfa, but I had already set my pre-draft with edmunds at the top.

The helmet rule... I dunno. I think Smith is not wrong to say guaranteed should mean guaranteed. On the other hand, most leagues require you to sacrifice salary earned while suspended from the game. But you can generally get around that by using signing bonuses, and since the money should all be guaranteed anyways...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Smith should get the same contract as his peers, and when a team refuses to give a draft pick the usual terms, they are being unfair and honestly the CBA should bar this crap where different teams are offering a different mix of terms to their drafted players.

This article kind of sums up the issue:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-roquan-smith-holdout-contract-20180809-story.html

The issue here is that some teams are including restriction language that other teams aren't. When you're drafted you don't have leverage to say "team A's language is poo poo so I'm going to team B instead" the way a free agent does. Roquan's only leverage is to hold out and not play, and that identifies him to every other team as maybe a problem player or something, which could have a serious effect on his marketability if he held out for a year.

So this isn't really about the helmet thing. It's about the bullshit team front offices are pulling on draft picks. Hearkens back to a year or two ago when the chargers were putting nonstandard clauses into their first round pick's contract to make the guaranteed money not really guaranteed, too, although that wasn't about specific types of fines/suspensions I don't think. Teams really should not have this sort of contract flexibility; we have a salary cap to put teams on an equal footing, we have a draft with draft picks ordered based on team performance to help keep teams on an equal footing, and so player contracts really should be standardized as well. Same deal as with the bullshit team-friendly contract Tom Brady keeps signing, where he's basically getting nonmoney benefits like getting his gym on campus which makes him money outside the cap. For free agents, sure, they can market themselves to 32 teams so the teams have to compete with each other to get a desirable player, or can offer team-friendly contracts to a guy who is otherwise gonna stay unemployed. But for draft picks? Come on, this poo poo is unfair.

e. but the helmet thing, Smith and everyone else in his position has to look at Shazier, they have to look at how many injuries are coming from off the line defenders slamming into the ball carrier at full speed with their heads, they have to understand that a big part of what is killing the NFL is the absolutely justified perception that football is a blood sport that destroys player's minds and bodies, and that the helmet rule is a reasonable attempt to mitigate some of the worst of those outcomes. They're going to have to adjust to the new tackle rules and maybe make fewer tackles over a season as a result, and that has to be OK.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 9, 2018

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Who Da Titoons sorry for not entertaining your trade, I didn't see it until I had already changed my mind to grab Rashaan Evans.

I truly have no idea what I'm doing this year. Last year I had a lot of free time at work to do my research and this year I have had like no free time, plus the cap space is real tight this year.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Who Da Titoons sorry for not entertaining your trade, I didn't see it until I had already changed my mind to grab Rashaan Evans.

I truly have no idea what I'm doing this year. Last year I had a lot of free time at work to do my research and this year I have had like no free time, plus the cap space is real tight this year.

how rude, etc.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
I had my heart set on Edmunds. drat you Zauper

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

don't tackle with your dang helmet and i also haven't watched more than like 5 minutes of an NFL game since like 2012 and that will never stop me from being a tremendous numbers nerd so I'll play fantasy forever, but only leagues like this that really let me tap into my full loser

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

drat those were the two guys I wanted after I picked at the top of the 2nd. I feel very good about my draft, which is good because I now have no more picks

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Alfalfa, you trying to trade with the guy who has never had a QB of Daltons caliber on his team before.

Gonna need to pry him out of my cold dead hands.

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
Maybe I live in a backwards state, but the bars and people's homes all fill up around here for UFC to watch people get beat into a bloody pulp. They cheer for knockouts and broken limbs.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

therealVECNAmfers posted:

Maybe I live in a backwards state, but the bars and people's homes all fill up around here for UFC to watch people get beat into a bloody pulp. They cheer for knockouts and broken limbs.

:gary:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Woooo my 1.02 is getting an MRI on his knee. Remind me never to do an early draft again.

I don't give a poo poo; half you guys can miss the rookie draft, but it's happening 3rd week of preseason or later next year.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Woooo my 1.02 is getting an MRI on his knee. Remind me never to do an early draft again.

I don't give a poo poo; half you guys can miss the rookie draft, but it's happening 3rd week of preseason or later next year.

Think your definition of early is wrong for dynasty.

All my other dynasty leagues did rookie drafts back in June.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Madness!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm a fuckin idiot

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 10, 2018

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
coulda had both Hurst and Edmonds if I didn't pull a Minnesota Vikings

oh well

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

oh well

Just message an admin before the next pick asking to get added to your team. No harm done.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I’m going to drop Alshon Jeffery if anyone wants him make me an offer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

oh well

Did you skip your pick by accident? I can fix it now, before anyone makes the next pick.

e,. oh I see: you timed out, and did not have anyone set to autodraft. That's not a misclick, so by rule you just lose the pick. Unless the other two commissioners feel merciful.

e,2: Alshon should be IR eligible, he's on PUP. But also $37 salary, so... yeah no thank you.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 10, 2018

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Why drop Mack?

Could have just taxi’d him

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Alfalfa posted:

Why drop Mack?

Mack was not TS eligible, having started games for him last season.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Guice ACL Tear.

1.02 down the drain to help me this year.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Guice ACL Tear.

1.02 down the drain to help me this year.

At least it’s not a contract league.

I lost him in a contract league so that year is burned up.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Who would you have taken instead?

Penny?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

I'll pick soon, waiting to hear on a few offers I have out

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
How do we stop picking? I don't want any more dudes, and my picks probably aren't worth trading.

(LEGO Maniacs in case you want to trade)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

Why drop Mack?

He's not TS eligible and has a $22 salary with two rookies breathing down his neck neither of which I was able to get like I wanted. I'd've kept him if he made like half of what he was making but that $22 is much much much more valuable to me in the FA auction than waiting to watch him lose his job

e: I also loaded up on RB with my first 4 picks last year specifically because I assumed I would maybe only get one serviceable guy. I'll take Fournette, Mixon, and Carson as successes and cut my losses on this dude who i can probably outbid anyone for in the FA auction for half of what he was making if I really want to

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 10, 2018

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

The Zack posted:

How do we stop picking? I don't want any more dudes, and my picks probably aren't worth trading.

It looks like if a commish sets you to auto draft, and the draft setting is 'if no my draft list, do not pick', this would be the case. So a commish just needs to set you, I think.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Zack posted:

I can use a tool to tell MFL to skip certain draft picks, so I can explicitly skip your remaining picks. Alternatively I think what Zauper said works too. Your next pick isn't till 5.11 though, so I'll hold off until then because I suspect a lot of us will be done or close to done by round five and I'd rather deal with more skips at once.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I fully intend to use my 7th round pick until we actually get there and I'm over it

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
gee I wonder if Trump not being able to buy the Buffalo Bills has something to do with his animus towards the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK this is actually the thing to do, we're already using the setting you can see at the top of the screen so I just click the checkbox for your team when you're done drafting: