Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Expect My Mom posted:

been busy and haven't been able to read, but im almost done with impel down.

this scene from the dub showed up in my youtube reccs and watching it again got me deep in my feelings. ian sinclair is an amazing voice actor. The "...In his own way" kills me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLjV3f_87AQ

This whole video is very good I have never heard Brook's English voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

this scene from the dub showed up in my youtube reccs and watching it again got me deep in my feelings. ian sinclair is an amazing voice actor. The "...In his own way" kills me
Oh wow. I'm used to the English voices being kind of cringy, but that's... really good.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Yaaawn

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it hosed me up to hear that krillin is usopp and kid gohan is luffy in that dub

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Ian Sinclair is a genuinely better Brook than Chō, which is not a slight against Japanese Brook at all, just that English Brook is extremely good.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Better in the English dub: Brook, Usopp, Nami
No opinion: Luffy, Sanji, Chopper, Robin
Better in Japanese: Zoro, Franky (both are fine in English but Franky was designed specifically for Yao's voice and Zoro is just like a samurai)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Ian Sinclair is really really good at his job.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

Better in Japanese: Zoro, Franky (both are fine in English but Franky was designed specifically for Yao's voice and Zoro is just like a samurai)

Eh, as far as Nami goes I'm personally fine with both. Only issue I have with the Japanese voice is that she tends to overact at times.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

I don't have an opinion on most of this stuff but yeah, hearing Franky talk in that clip... nothing against the English voice actor, but I just can't deal with someone else's voice coming out of Franky.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Ian Sinclair is a genuinely better Brook than Chō, which is not a slight against Japanese Brook at all, just that English Brook is extremely good.
i think i agree, Ian is really good at balancing silly and serious Brook, where as JPN Brook seems to always be very goofy with his higher voice

Ian's crying in this scene is amazing, to the point where it's hard to here what Brook's even saying, but in the way people just yell when they're sobbing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moFD1Pvj1qg

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I was telling my six-year-old daughter about One Piece and she got scared when I talked about the talking skeleton so I showed her the "do skeletons poop" english clip and now she loves brooke

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the english dub is well acted but imo the japanese va fits most of the characters better

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I saw the English dub of Gold in theater and the scene where Brook gets caught by the sensor owls had me laughing just from the delivery

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Expect My Mom posted:

I particularly like the dub of the part before that, where he sings that ethereal version of Binks' Sake. Kinda want a full version of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ir1eSDZzmE

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Expect My Mom posted:

i think i agree, Ian is really good at balancing silly and serious Brook, where as JPN Brook seems to always be very goofy with his higher voice

Ian's crying in this scene is amazing, to the point where it's hard to here what Brook's even saying, but in the way people just yell when they're sobbing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moFD1Pvj1qg

I can't wait until laboon with his cappy painting is swimming alongside the strawhat armada into battle.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Gold is on Amazon

I was so excited, but it's the dub...

I know a lot of people like the dub, but we've been sub-only for years and everyone just sounds WRONG. Except maybe Brook.

Is there a way to get the subbed version anywhere?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

lowercase16 posted:

I know a lot of people like the dub, but we've been sub-only for years and everyone just sounds WRONG. Except maybe Brook.

Assuming it's still in print it might be available on the DVD version. Otherwise no, I don't believe it's available legally anywhere (but if that doesn't bother you you can probably find it on one of the various anime streaming sites out there).

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

lowercase16 posted:

https://www.amazon.com/One-Piece-Fi...&ref=mp_s_a_1_3

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Sweet! Thanks!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ryaomon posted:

Luffy's dub voice is cringy and terrible and doesn't hold a candle to the original, the other dub voices range from decent to great imo.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lowercase16 posted:

last I remember, it's on Hulu

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Luffy's dub voice is cringy and terrible and doesn't hold a candle to the original, the other dub voices range from decent to great imo.

To be fair, I don’t think Luffy’s Japanese voice can work in English.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
45 degree angle!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I've always believed that Colleen Clinkenbeard's performance is the result of Toei specifically mandating that Luffy sound (relatively) the same in English as he does in Japanese, as the other Strawhats (at the very least) seemingly are allowed to have deviations in vocal performance for the English dub. For instance, Chris Sabat and Patrick Seitz are much deeper sounding compared to Kazuya Nakai and Kazuki Yao, respectively, yet are allowed to keep those deeper vocal ranges. Same goes for the others; Sonny Strait is allowed to literally use his Krillin voice for Usopp (despite Toei most likely being familiar with that performance), while Ian Sinclair is allowed to inject a more aristocratic-sounding voice into Brook that Cho does not utilize. So yeah, it's not that Clinkenbeard's performance is bad, it seems more like someone up high wanted Luffy to sound a specific way that sadly doesn't translate well into English.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Probably wanted Luffy to sound like a young boy for the sake of the young boy audience for building communism

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, Luffy would legit sound better and probably more masculine in the dub if his VA just did a normal girl’s voice at this point, but I started with the dub and the actual delivery is on point so I’m willing to forgive a lot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the dub voice is literally the same as what the actress used for gohan, who was way younger than luffy. she's def not a bad actress but it doesn't really fit luffy to me

should have let krillin voice luffy instead of usopp for continuities sake :v:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Real talk: Zoro’s 4kids voice was better than his current one

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Real talk: Zoro’s 4kids voice was better than his current one
4Kids gets a bad rep but I genuinely think that Luffy, Nami, Ussop and Zoro had better voices.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think the actual bad part of any 4kids dub is secretly the soundtrack; you could make the best voice acting in the world sound terrible with that clown-rear end music in the background.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Pigbuster posted:

I think the actual bad part of any 4kids dub is secretly the soundtrack; you could make the best voice acting in the world sound terrible with that clown-rear end music in the background.
excuse me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UkqEf4TJrk

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Holy poo poo, despite watching the first hundred episodes of One Piece half a dozen times I have no recollection of this outside of just suddenly remember seeing the 4Kids dub version when it very first came out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Special guest artist Eiichiro Oda

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I wonder how much the people who wrote and performed that song got paid for it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i finished the marineford arc and now i need to lie down

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Expect My Mom posted:

i finished the marineford arc and now i need to lie down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pme-E9fOnIE

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
gently caress! gently caress we're on break this week!! gently caress!!!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bleck posted:

gently caress! gently caress we're on break this week!! gently caress!!!

gently caress!!!!!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:bignews:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
this prob one of my Top 10 Manga Panels Of All Time honestly

that and Whitebeard saying all he wanted was a family hit me hard