Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
How do y'all find assets like bank accounts to garnish if the judgment debtor has just been radio silent through the whole proceeding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Big law attorneys are only lawyers in the abstract sense.

Just like patent lawyers. :laugh:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nonexistence posted:

How do y'all find assets like bank accounts to garnish if the judgment debtor has just been radio silent through the whole proceeding?

Once they ignore the judgment debtor rule and an arrest warrant is put out for them, usually they cooperate

Millennial
Feb 5, 2006

I recommend a two month sabbatical from legal practice to flick the reset switch and re-energise.

Feel so much better about my small place in this rubbish profession after taking two months off. Read no less than six books, went swimming at the beach at least weekly (I'm Australian) and visited neglected family and friends.

Also as a lawyer and gay white male I hope that family gets crucified, used to hear stories of this which imparted if nothing else the importance of equal marriage.

Put me in the OP if you like, but there are billables to be done, so will see you next time eighty hours work in non-biglaw require sabbatical.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Nonexistence posted:

I get to cheat and have my clients go through the state for support orders. That always gets the opposing side to come out of hiding once they see the paychecks getting garnished.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Millennial posted:

I recommend a two month sabbatical from legal practice to flick the reset switch and re-energise.

Feel so much better about my small place in this rubbish profession after taking two months off. Read no less than six books, went swimming at the beach at least weekly (I'm Australian) and visited neglected family and friends.

Also as a lawyer and gay white male I hope that family gets crucified, used to hear stories of this which imparted if nothing else the importance of equal marriage.

Put me in the OP if you like, but there are billables to be done, so will see you next time eighty hours work in non-biglaw require sabbatical.

I can't really think of a faster way to tank your legal career in the toxic world of American law firms than to ask for a sabbatical. We had to basically threaten to strike to get the old fucks who run our firm to authorize a four-week paternity leave, and no one has been brave enough to take all four weeks yet. OId withered boomer partners view things like "wanting to spend time with your newly born child" or "taking a break so I don't kill myself and everyone around me" as weakness

Vox Nihili posted:

the older ones are effectively powerful, ancient, hateful liches.
this is perfect

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Nonexistence posted:

I dunno what state your in, but in Texas you can get court orders directed at “any accounts” the person has and then just mail the order to all the banks and poo poo around town and they’ll tell you if they have an account that fits the court order. I think it’s called a turn over order

Also maybe wave garnishment sent to the employer? Again dunno where you’re at. Or a PI?

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 10, 2018

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Just got a Not Guilty on a felony drug case where my guy was looking at a possible life sentence. :feelsgood:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

GamingHyena posted:

Just got a Not Guilty on a felony drug case where my guy was looking at a possible life sentence. :feelsgood:

Awesome. Imagine how mad the prosecutor is right now, stewing in impotent filth

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soothing Vapors posted:

I can't really think of a faster way to tank your legal career in the toxic world of American law firms than to ask for a sabbatical. We had to basically threaten to strike to get the old fucks who run our firm to authorize a four-week paternity leave, and no one has been brave enough to take all four weeks yet. OId withered boomer partners view things like "wanting to spend time with your newly born child" or "taking a break so I don't kill myself and everyone around me" as weakness
this is perfect

God I'm glad I work for the government.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really thinking about a sabbatical too, maybe I'll save up some leave

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

GamingHyena posted:

Update: they make him subject to the gang injunction and toss him in jail for 300 days anyway every year.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Nevermind

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 10, 2018

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

Noice.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just like patent lawyers. :laugh:

This but not sarcastically.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Is there an IRC channel I can check out to ask questions and get live feedback

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

There used to be but I have no idea if it still exists.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Soothing Vapors posted:

Awesome. Imagine how mad the prosecutor is right now, stewing in impotent filth

Yeah the jury was out for about half an hour. Prosecutors managed to spit out a "you tried a good case GamingHyena" before heading for the exits. Even got an email from one of the jurors saying they thought I did a good job :3:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^
Congrats! Prepare for like a month of great offers.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm really thinking about a sabbatical too, maybe I'll save up some leave

I just took July off and had 96 hours of leave left. I'm taking a week off in Christmas, going to mexico city for a week this winter, will take two weeks this summer, then x-mas again and then take a month in 2020. I love my vacation job.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 10, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Government jobs: where you're expected to take your leave and enjoy your life.

I honestly don't know how the rest of y'all do it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

crying myself to sleep on a pallet stuffed with money

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Sorry cant hear you too busy loving my defined benefit pension

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Government jobs: where you're expected to take your leave and enjoy your life.

In addition to our 6 weeks of vacation a year (with an extra week for every 3 years of seniority, capping at 16w a year), 2 bonus weeks off at Xmas, and strict 37.5h work week, we have the option to take 80% of our paycheque for 4 years and then have a full year off at 80% pay.

I love working for the government.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Tipps posted:

16w a year

Fuckin lmao

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I drafted a notice to a customer the other day that had some legal implications; sent it to our retainer to review.

“Looks good, you’re sure you’re not a lawyer?”

I wanted to reply something like “no, I don’t have any student loans”, but I held back because I knew no burn would come close to equating his daily hell and I’m magnanimous like that.

Thank you, thread.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Tipps posted:

In addition to our 6 weeks of vacation a year (with an extra week for every 3 years of seniority, capping at 16w a year), 2 bonus weeks off at Xmas, and strict 37.5h work week, we have the option to take 80% of our paycheque for 4 years and then have a full year off at 80% pay.

I love working for the government.

Well gently caress I should have gone to law school

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

Where can I get that pallet

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Alexeythegreat posted:

Any number of oligarchs castles in our country or yours!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Alexeythegreat posted:

you can pick one up at 5 AM in the corner office of any Senior Partner near you

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I usually find my pallets of cash on the backs of associates

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So it looks like i’ll get an offer from the state medicaid office as a level 2 analyst. They called me up this morning asking for references, and they don’t bother to do that for a non-offer.

The upsides to taking this are higher pay than a state lawyer gig and overtime if i go past 40 hours week. I’m not sure how taking this type of a position will affect my legal career.

Second interview today at the class action firm. No idea what they’re going to offer, but I don’t think it’ll pay as well as the state job or have the benefits.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Take the state job. This is someone offering you a ladder out of the well.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
As someone who took an analyst job (at a big law firm) as my first real post-license job, it took me 9 years to climb out from under it and my career is still very stunted.

The problem is that “analyst” is a bullshit job title that doesn’t mean anything. So nobody knew what I did and how it amounted to any legal experience at all. I would have been better off finding a paralegal job and that’s basically what I have now with 50:50 lawyer:paralegal duties.

At the same time you do what you have to do. I got married and had kids in those 9 years so I didn’t hustle on getting a better job until a year ago. Just keep looking for something better and leave as soon as possible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toona the Cat posted:

also it's worth pointing out that a state job is, basically, a job for as long as you want it while most private practice jobs are going to be sort of an up or out situation

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Toona the Cat posted:

My god, toona has made it!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

So it looks like i’ll get an offer from the state medicaid office as a level 2 analyst. They called me up this morning asking for references, and they don’t bother to do that for a non-offer.

The upsides to taking this are higher pay than a state lawyer gig and overtime if i go past 40 hours week. I’m not sure how taking this type of a position will affect my legal career.

Second interview today at the class action firm. No idea what they’re going to offer, but I don’t think it’ll pay as well as the state job or have the benefits.

Take the State job. Also, State Medicaid offices all have their own dedicated prosecutors (except for, like, South Dakota), which is a super sweet gig if you can get it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Look Sir Droids posted:

As someone who took an analyst job (at a big law firm) as my first real post-license job, it took me 9 years to climb out from under it and my career is still very stunted.

The problem is that “analyst” is a bullshit job title that doesn’t mean anything. So nobody knew what I did and how it amounted to any legal experience at all. I would have been better off finding a paralegal job and that’s basically what I have now with 50:50 lawyer:paralegal duties.

At the same time you do what you have to do. I got married and had kids in those 9 years so I didn’t hustle on getting a better job until a year ago. Just keep looking for something better and leave as soon as possible.

That's good to hear, maybe I do have a future in this field after. I consider myself 100% failed and pretty much unemployable in law right now (going to tenth year law school anniversary in a few months will be delightful), and am spending more time planning to make sure my future bankruptcy is smooth than job hunting. But I sacrificed a lot career wise for my family so I don't really regret anything.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

evilweasel posted:

also it's worth pointing out that a state job is, basically, a job for as long as you want it while most private practice jobs are going to be sort of an up or out situation

Also this. You can be a piece of poo poo at work doing just enough to get by while you use state government internet to apply for better jobs.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

Also this. You can be a piece of poo poo at work doing just enough to get by while you use state government internet to apply for better jobs.

I didn't mean it so much in a "you can be a lazy poo poo" way as that it gives him financial security a lot longer (probably: state budgets could always be cut).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Class action firm is going to make me an offer but didn’t yet give me specifics. They want me to start as soon as next week but I likely won’t be available until sept because of surgery on Monday. Still waiting to see what they offer pay wise.