Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

S Class is for people the (clueless) Association execs think are too valuable to lose to the stupid little grind game they setup for the regular heroes. Of course there's going to be some guys who are only there because someone on the board took one look and said :drat:

Most of them have absolutely awful dispositions though, if they weren’t absurdly strong relative to the rest of the pack I have to imagine Sweet Mask would gatekeep them out just like the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The S classers are probably the only class the HA doesnt treat with (much) cynicism
Theyre given a lot of leeway previsely because they are the last line of defense.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Where are the tanks and soldiers and attack choppers and poo poo

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zzulu posted:

The gently caress can a tank do that a tanktop can't?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Zzulu posted:

That's Metal Knight's super power.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Zzulu posted:

Handling the disaster level wolf and tiger threats that they can.

Demon and up threats you need a hero for because a normal tank is not stopping that.

Unless you define a cyborg as a form of tank

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AtomikKrab posted:

Handling the disaster level wolf and tiger threats that they can.

Demon and up threats you need a hero for because a normal tank is not stopping that.

Unless you define a cyborg as a form of tank

The only thing that can stop a bad guy is a good guy (with a gun)

C Class Hero
Concealed Carrier

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The only thing that can stop a bad guy is a good guy (with a gun)

C Class Hero
Concealed Carrier

more of a disaster level tiger

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Zzulu posted:

The military handled monster threats after the police started being overwhelmed, but mobilizing enough troops and equipment to handle even a Tiger level threat (the one in the police chapter was bullet proof) is both inefficient and time-consuming compared to sending a single dude. Even Licenseless Rider, C-class hero he is, can beat a Monster who is bullet proof in one of the audio dramas.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So normal anime conventions of modern weapons being less effective than an old dude good at martial arts or a hot-blooded teenager.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

my question is: does the army have a scientist with capabilities similar to that of dr stench or metal knight on their payroll? if masked weirdos can harness strange abilities to defeat monsters, is the military also studying and utilizing stuff like "this guy with a bat gets more powerful the stronger he is?"

is there a special secret military squad composed entirely of guys utilizing the awesome powers of tanktops to take down special threats?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ninjewtsu posted:

my question is: does the army have a scientist with capabilities similar to that of dr stench or metal knight on their payroll? if masked weirdos can harness strange abilities to defeat monsters, is the military also studying and utilizing stuff like "this guy with a bat gets more powerful the stronger he is?"

is there a special secret military squad composed entirely of guys utilizing the awesome powers of tanktops to take down special threats?

I am 100% sure that the military has an elite squad of super soldiers with power armor, and when they're deployed they're inevitably gently caress things up and then die.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ok but what if instead of power armor they had some absurd hero-like gimmick, on par with "tanktops are god's clothing"

seeing the government weaponize the hero phenomena, rather than some generic military thing that's supposed to be on par with heroes but isn't, would be way more interesting

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ninjewtsu posted:

ok but what if instead of power armor they had some absurd hero-like gimmick, on par with "tanktops are god's clothing"
They have such a gimmick, and with it and their training, they've rendered heroes obsolete. Move aside, punk, the army is here.

Oh God, he has kung fu snakes for fingers, etc etc etc.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

seeing the government weaponize the hero phenomena, rather than some generic military thing that's supposed to be on par with heroes but isn't, would be way more interesting

man being a hero isn't just about putting on some tanktop, you have to believe that poo poo in a way that normal people just can't

like you know if you believe with one hundred percent conviction that 100 push ups 100 squats 100 sit ups and a 10 km run are going to make you a n invincible hero who can beat any monster with one punch

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That alone won't do it. You also can't use heating in winter or AC in summer and have to have 3 square meals a day (just a banana for breakfast is fine).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

We do have some more mass produced hero techniques. They're Bang's school, the Tank Tops, Atomic Samurai's students, and the like.

It's just when you're trying to find people who can teach you how to fight like weirdo superheroes, they tend to be weirdo superheroes,

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Like, not even when a spaceship showed up and blew a city up did the military do anything. Maybe there is no military in the OPM universe

Maybe the heroes are the first and last line of defense

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Who needs aircraft carriers and tanks when you got

*checks notes*

A fat guy who can eat anything

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Military should stick to what they’re good at: evacuating civilians and staying out of my way :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm surprised there's no hero who gains power from their obsession with an idol.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

RareAcumen posted:

I'm surprised there's no hero who gains power from their obsession with an idol.

that sounds more like a monster

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
does it count if the idol is yourself? Because I think that's Amai Mask's gimmick

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

Sounds like the blizzard squad to me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

does it count if the idol is yourself? Because I think that's Amai Mask's gimmick

I think this as well

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Zzulu posted:

Who needs aircraft carriers and tanks when you got

*checks notes*

A fat guy who can eat anything

The fat guy ate the aircraft carriers and tanks because it's not like they could do anything against a monster that could shrug off explosions at close range. Which the fat guy ate in seconds.

Like legit, military wouldn't be able to do squat to a disaster level demon threat considering the shenanigans they can pull.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That's just because animes like these assume every strong dude can just withstand every weapon ever made - except hard punching and kicking or whatever

I'm watching the equally good anime "My Hero Academia" and they got all these cool powers but most of them would just drop dead if you shot at them with a gun because they aren't bulletproof man

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

In MHA they're usually not fighting city-sized centipedes or demigod alien warlords though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

if the Planet Saitama Prefecture had a military that wasn't heroes we probably would've seen it by now

also AFO could probably kick an army's rear end

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

In MHA they're usually not fighting city-sized centipedes or demigod alien warlords though.

There also was a guy who just went "I'll SHOOT them!", despite Japan's more limited gun ownership.

He got his rear end kicked, despite having a quirk that boosted his advantage.

There's also a pro hero whose power is gun. He's pretty successful.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

chiasaur11 posted:

There also was a guy who just went "I'll SHOOT them!", despite Japan's more limited gun ownership.

He got his rear end kicked, despite having a quirk that boosted his advantage.

There's also a pro hero whose power is gun. He's pretty successful.

To be fair, most of the time you use a gun you aren't shooting at someone whose name is literally "Ironiron Ironiron", whose body is hard as iron. The number of Class 1-A and 1-B people who would have survived that is... Well, at least two, not sure how many more, but not many.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

To be fair, most of the time you use a gun you aren't shooting at someone whose name is literally "Ironiron Ironiron", whose body is hard as iron. The number of Class 1-A and 1-B people who would have survived that is... Well, at least two, not sure how many more, but not many.

Well, depends on the circumstances.

Kirishima could tank it easily. Momo might be able to block on reflex, and Todoroki certainly could. Same with Tokoyami, especially in the dark. Deku's filed under "probably", since shooting All Might doesn't work, but he'd need to be in full cowl, and it would probably still hurt. Monoma might have something loaded, which could get him through. Yanagi has poltergeist as her quirk, which might be able to save her depending how it works. And Shoji could have decoy limbs to soak a few hits, although it'd hurt like crazy.

Beyond that, though, yeah. Most of the class isn't ideally suited to getting shot.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It'd be a good OPM joke for Saitama to casually dodge a bullet, then realize someone was behind him in the path of the bullet, panic real quick, and then catch up to and stop it

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Shugojin posted:

It'd be a good OPM joke for Saitama to casually dodge a bullet, then realize someone was behind him in the path of the bullet, panic real quick, and then catch up to and stop it

And then he trips over something and falls. Nobody is able to follow this movement except the reader and Saitama and everyone else thinks he got shot and died. Everyone spends like 5 pages overreacting to his death with ONE-style saitama trying to get people’s attention in the background that he isnt dead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of new chapters, the raws for them are out and howdy-doody it's one humdinger of a chapter!

https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/10834108156633385694

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Translation :negative:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Oh my loving god the olympic muscle woman hero in this chapter crushes a monster melon between her legs lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgmnSYz1j3M

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I need this translated then injected straight into my veins

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Holy poo poo this part of the arc off to an incredible start. Love to see all the low rank people hyped up like this and immediately owned by a strong monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Super Alloy Darkshine just seems like a very pleasant man. He owns.