Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

You can play fallout 4 at over 60fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Well, I found The Mechanist.

I went in dressed as Silver Shroud, of course. Fought through a few waves of robots, then I convinced Mechanist to talk face to face. Turns out it's a SHE??? Anyway, she realized she couldn't defeat The Shroud and gave up. Ended up begging forgiveness, and I was a big ol softy and let her live. Now I have a new base to live in.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i don't think i got it in me to ever kill the mechanist

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

pretty sure id die IRL if i harmed sparks

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

i don't think i got it in me to ever kill the mechanist

It's against my nature to play an rear end in a top hat in games, but I usually end up doing a secondary play through to do all the evil choices.

Blowing up Megaton was hard to do, but I consoled myself with "at least that annoying Moira is ashes now".
Wooops, so much for that.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

The Zombie Guy posted:

It's against my nature to play an rear end in a top hat in games, but I usually end up doing a secondary play through to do all the evil choices.

Blowing up Megaton was hard to do, but I consoled myself with "at least that annoying Moira is ashes now".
Wooops, so much for that.

Blowing up Megaton is a well done evil choice because you're incentivized by getting a unique (and arguably better) player home. Most of the time games either punish you for going full evil or just offer no real benefit to it either way (see: being a slaver in F2) so it was kinda nice to get an evil penthouse out of the deal.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You get a player home either way, though. The only thing blowing up megaton does in the long term is reduce the number of traders in the world.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
holy gently caress moral choices aren't made by omniscient beings that know all future possibilities you goddamned dint

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

ive never really been a fan of blowing up megaton, at least as it is presented. maybe if it had occurred a little later in the game would have flowed better

kind of like the goodsprings vs powder gangers fight at the start of fnv. both feel like are you playing good guy or bad guy this run? goodsprings basically saves your life and gives you a ton of free poo poo to get back on the road and the motivation to team up with the first person that rolls into town that's like hey just kill them all for no material gain was never convincingly sold to me

I guess at least everyone in megaton is a huge prick to you to start with

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

holy gently caress moral choices aren't made by omniscient beings that know all future possibilities you goddamned dint

I'm sorry, Todd, but your moral choices are bad.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Get over your lovely gimmick posting plz.

Berke Negri posted:

ive never really been a fan of blowing up megaton, at least as it is presented. maybe if it had occurred a little later in the game would have flowed better

kind of like the goodsprings vs powder gangers fight at the start of fnv. both feel like are you playing good guy or bad guy this run? goodsprings basically saves your life and gives you a ton of free poo poo to get back on the road and the motivation to team up with the first person that rolls into town that's like hey just kill them all for no material gain was never convincingly sold to me

I guess at least everyone in megaton is a huge prick to you to start with

The powder gangers are clearly the more powerful group to back.

They have a heavy fortification in their NCR prison and heaps of explosives versus a few assholes in wooden shacks.

You assholes have no concept of role playing and are just like counting the cap values of the loot you get to make your moral choices or something.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

They have a heavy fortification in their NCR prison and heaps of explosives versus a few assholes in wooden shacks.

You assholes have no concept of role playing and are just like counting the cap values of the loot you get to make your moral choices or something.

and yet you ignore the boomers or the fact you and/or your chosen faction take the strip no matter what you do smh

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I mean, if you're rping a ruthless utilitarian psycho, sure, powder gangers make sense. And that's perfectly valid!

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

dont be mean to me posted:

and yet you ignore the boomers or the fact you and/or your chosen faction take the strip no matter what you do smh

So your vaulter character knows about the boomers and "your chosen faction taking the strip" when you are asked to make that choice?

Did you never have a primer on character knowledge vs. player knowledge in RPGs? Metagamers deserve nothing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Fuligin posted:

I mean, if you're rping a ruthless utilitarian psycho, sure, powder gangers make sense. And that's perfectly valid!

my point though was does it really

cobbs is kind of just like a huge rear end in a top hat to you

i guess a more convincing moral dilemma would be having to convince goodsprings to give up ringo but that's not nearly as dramatic in a game

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

cobb doesn't even show up in force or anything

you still have to go back in town and skill check all the various townsfolk to outfit his crew with gear cause he aint got poo poo lmao

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
At least siding with the powder gangers leaves Chet alive, thereby not depriving you of a useful loot dump.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

So your vaulter character knows about the boomers and "your chosen faction taking the strip" when you are asked to make that choice?

Did you never have a primer on character knowledge vs. player knowledge in RPGs? Metagamers deserve nothing.

Wait, you're talking about Goodsprings?

Also the Courier is not any form of Vault Dweller (possibly once a vault-dweller but not in the sense that the player characters from Fallout 1/3/4 are) and generally has the dialogue choices to establish themselves as knowledgeable-or-not about the Mojave and its major players as the player wishes, so good job attacking other players out of ignorance.

And you actually CAN put off the Goodsprings-Powder Gangers conflict until real late in the game. Or late enough in the game to use the NCR to demonstrate how vulnerable their ersatz prison fort is. Or entirely. So you're only making yourself an rear end by your assumptions.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

dont be mean to me posted:

Wait, you're talking about Goodsprings?

Also the Courier is not any form of Vault Dweller (possibly once a vault-dweller but not in the sense that the player characters from Fallout 1/3/4 are) and generally has the dialogue choices to establish themselves as knowledgeable-or-not about the Mojave and its major players as the player wishes, so good job attacking other players out of ignorance.

And you actually CAN put off the Goodsprings-Powder Gangers conflict until real late in the game. Or late enough in the game to use the NCR to demonstrate how vulnerable their ersatz prison fort is. Or entirely. So you're only making yourself an rear end by your assumptions.

I'll have you know that Todd Howard is the best at roleplaying, and further more

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're still meta-gaming like a motherfucker, thus invaliding any possible "moral" arguments about your character's choices.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

You're still meta-gaming like a motherfucker, thus invaliding any possible "moral" arguments about your character's choices.

One day you might learn what playing a role means, and then you might finally have the ability to not bend over the instant someone might have a bigger stick than you.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fact that you calculated the "optimal" path through a video game narrative flowchart doesn't make you a moral giant, it makes you insane.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ignore. Ignore. All of you are Ignored. NONE of you are without metagaming

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
The only morally correct choice in New Vegas is to assume the position for FISTO.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The fact that you calculated the "optimal" path through a video game narrative flowchart doesn't make you a moral giant, it makes you insane.

Yes, and your point is?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sure, that's a decent rationalisation for an evil character to side with the powder gangers

It seems pretty sane to figure out the best way to win a game. Most of the time that's what games are for

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 11, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
There's also, you know, replaying games with different choices so its not like you're going in blind every time, on top of the fact that if you've played other games you can correctly assume killing and eating everyone you meet isn't an optimal gameplay strategy (though I do appreciate that NV lets you do it).

The powder gangers affiliation is such a trick too because doing their quests at the prison always leads to their destruction, the only way to actually end the game with them doing okay is basically by ignoring the fact that they exist.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

A take with irony so hot it burns! :stare:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

as lovely as the community of goodsprings might be, we all robbed them blind right down to the mutfruit. even the doc.

'doing the village' is more of a curiousity than something the narrative is driving though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Blowing up Megaton is a well done evil choice because you're incentivized by getting a unique (and arguably better) player home. Most of the time games either punish you for going full evil or just offer no real benefit to it either way (see: being a slaver in F2) so it was kinda nice to get an evil penthouse out of the deal.

I think Fallout 3 went a little too far in trying to make good and evil equal with their karma-locked companions and sending enemies after you if you go too far to either side of the meter. Since you earn good karma for pretty much any choice in a quest that isn't roleplaying a baby-eating maniac, the only way to actually stay in the middle of the road and avoid getting harassed by squads of hitmen is to generally be decent but steal the poo poo out of everything and occasionally make overtly evil choices for no real reason to balance out your charity work and helpfulness.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

2house2fly posted:

It seems pretty sane to figure out the best way to win a game. Most of the time that's what games are for

By what metric? Do you think the guy who can get through the game the quickest with the the quicksave/quickload glitches is "winning the game" in the "best way" or the guy who makes the "most moral choices while having an omnipotent view of the finite game universe" is "winning the game"?

You're so full of poo poo that your ears are leaking.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Todd, the activity you describe is the foundation of a major biannual charitable event. That seems considerably more ethical than your repeated whining that people aren't playing games the right way.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

By what metric? Do you think the guy who can get through the game the quickest with the the quicksave/quickload glitches is "winning the game" in the "best way" or the guy who makes the "most moral choices while having an omnipotent view of the finite game universe" is "winning the game"?

You're so full of poo poo that your ears are leaking.

I said most of the time. Obviously in a play-pretend game like New Vegas the object isn't to win, it's to play pretend in the way that feels most enjoyable to you, but it being a video game means it occupies the same headspace as strategy games and shmups and the like, so its only natural for people's minds to gravitate towards playing "optimally". This is, of course, a perfectly valid way to interact with a play-pretend game, and I fail to see why it makes you so angry.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

I know hey. Us sane people use fallout.wikia.com to thoroughly research each questline and their outcomes. :smug:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Fanatic posted:

I know hey. Us sane people use fallout.wikia.com to thoroughly research each questline and their outcomes. :smug:

eh we're all just starting with 9 int to max out all the skills anyways

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
If it wasn't for that wiki, I would still have molerat disease or that vault 81 kid would be dead.

Isn't that more insane than using an exploit listed under "Bugs" to cure us both?

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 11, 2018

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Finally been able to play New Vegas for a few hours without being interrupted, and I'm having a blast. Thanks to the people here who suggested the anti stutter patch, it worked wonders and the game feels great to play now. This being my first time playing, the Powder Gangers situation in Goodsprings wasn't even a question. I came to play a nuclear western, and the game right up offered me a Magnificent Seven-type of situation.

It feels like this game offers everything that I hoped Skyrim/Oblivion would offer me, but this time I am actually interested in the setting and combat isn't a chore. The walking speed feels a bit slow (although that might have to do with me just having finished Rage before this) but the story's great and characters like Slim Jim are fantastic. Thanks to the goons who advised this on basis of Obsidian's writing, you were right on the money.

Now I'm in Primm, agonizing over who the new sheriff's going to be. The guy in jail seems honorable enough and deserves a second chance, but he straight up warns me that he's going to do a lot of extrajudicial killing. Like, a looooot.
The NCR can't even protect this place now, so that doesn't really inspire confidence.
At the moment, I think it would be best if I just let the tin can do the job. He seems up for it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You can hold off on the sheriff job for a bit if you want; it actually has somewhat further reaching effects than you might expect it to, so talk to everyone involved to get a feel for what you might want longer term.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also there's some options for sheriff that you might not be able to do at all depending on your skill spread when you first arrive in Primm, so level up a bit and then come back. Same with the missing gun in the Vicki & Vance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

The Zombie Guy posted:

Well, I found The Mechanist.

I went in dressed as Silver Shroud, of course. Fought through a few waves of robots, then I convinced Mechanist to talk face to face. Turns out it's a SHE??? Anyway, she realized she couldn't defeat The Shroud and gave up. Ended up begging forgiveness, and I was a big ol softy and let her live. Now I have a new base to live in.

If you ever get to Nuka World, I think there's another event where you may want to keep that Shroud outfit handy.