Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

zoux posted:

I love the little joke footnotes he does. North's writing is extremely joke-dense

I still haven't gotten into Squirrel Girl but I never pass up the mouseover text on his Dinosaur Comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Say Nothing posted:

Plastic Man stop!

Stupid Sexy Plas.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I enjoy Squirrel Girl, but the bottom alt text drives me nuts. I feel compelled to stop and read them all, but trying to make out that tiny light-colored print breaks up the page-to-page flow.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I kinda dont dig the recent change from one long paragraph running the entire width of the page to the multiple quarter panel width size paragraphs because it feels slightly more awkward to read now for some reason, but I'm guessing ryan pushed for it cuz now hes able to have different jokes on one page

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Eel O"Oh! OH! OH!!!"'Brian

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Infinitum posted:

You know that's Plastic Man right?

the way i read it only one of them was and harley was playing along

the format confused me

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I thought Plas was her costume, like he did to Wonder Woman (?) once

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Phy posted:

I feel like that was Big Barda.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Phy posted:

Barda. I'd post the panels but honestly they've been posted in this thread about half a dozen times already.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Coolguye posted:

the way i read it only one of them was and harley was playing along

the format confused me

It was Plas the whole time, you can tell by the glasses. Though I guess it's a little late for "My eyes are up here"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Phy posted:

Selachian posted:

Barda. I'd post the panels but honestly they've been posted in this thread about half a dozen times already.

Both, sorta. He did the sneaky dress thing with Barda, but IIRC there was a Justice League where WW gets trapped in a lake under some magic ice. Plas is able to squeeze thru a crack, envelope her (while wisecracking about it), then expand enough to bust them free.

Or maybe that was a fever dream I had, it's so hard to tell with comics

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
wait when the hell did plastic learn to do colors besides red yellow and black

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I guess he could be doing an off-black for the blue... Or the colourist made a mistake.

Plas is also pretty good at dealing with kids.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eheheheeee

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Wait, since when is Plas in Suicide Squad?

And how could Amanda Waller hold any sway over him?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's not. That's not Waller.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Amazing Spider-Man #797: Spidey stops a mugger

I like the idea of Spider-Man and some deadbeat repeat offenders being on a first name basis.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He's the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, of course he's got an eye on local street crime. He's like a weird social worker.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Stupid Sexy Plas.

I suppose, technically speaking, it’s like he’s wearing nothing at all...nothing at all...nothing at all

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

wait when the hell did plastic learn to do colors besides red yellow and black

It could happen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

davebo posted:

I still haven't gotten into Squirrel Girl but I never pass up the mouseover text on his Dinosaur Comics.

Mouseover text on comics used to be cool but now in the era of tablets it's really annoying.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There is worse.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mister Mind posted:

It could happen.

Why does Batman give him a MAGA hat?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Say Nothing posted:

There is worse.

Patrick this is not appropriate behavior for a public place

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
And Gail Simone has apologized for those panels and said they won't be in later releases due to being offensive to the trans community.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

jesus did she specifically request that the artist draw plastic man with a huge package :|

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You wouldn't?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Onmi posted:

And Gail Simone has apologized for those panels and said they won't be in later releases due to being offensive to the trans community.

I read her apology and it was pretty good but while she points out a pretty nasty trope she wound up hinting at, what made me roll my eyes more was the hackneyed visual gag of the big package, that transphobic fixation on emphasizing or exposing the "wrong" or "bad" genitals of a trans person for a cheap laugh which was all over all kinds of media not so long ago. It's a very "lmfao that's just not right" kind of bro-y humor that protects itself by reifying gender norms and treating the penis, particularly the queer penis, as an object of simultaneous ridicule, disgust, and fetishization. See the still very common bit where a male character wears a speedo or another "too skimpy" piece of clothing and that's it, that's the joke. It's a lovely, lazy, backwards gag that presumes an audience of straight men repulsed by the mere suggestion of cock, but it becomes downright harmful when its leveraged towards policing and othering trans bodies. I'm sure it's not what Simone had in mind-- after all, it's not what she apologized for-- but it's definitely what jumped out at me.

But I don't know how much of that is on her and how much is on Adriana Melo. I don't know if her script said, like "make sure to emphasize Plastic Man's big goofy dick," I don't even know if she was aware of it before it hit the stands.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think Gail just really enjoys bawdy stuff, which probably doesn't jive with the ideals of a lot of her fans.

edit: DC just had a summer beach special with a distinct lack of anatomy gags. It'd probably be different if she had a story in there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 11, 2018

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
It's the lack of consistency that bothers me. No huge package when he's a pony, I see. Or Big Barda's dress.

Though seriously, while I can on some level appreciate Gail's mea culpa, it's just such tacky low hanging fruit that I find it difficult to believe it was that much of an oopsie-doodle. But y'know, there's absolutely no shortage of people who say and do hosed up things that two minutes later they swear they didn't mean at all and insist shouldn't be taken as a reflection of who they are and their attitudes about other people. And she certainly wouldn't be the first woman who pushed for a lot of attitudes about women to change who still doesn't see trans women as women to be included in that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You like seeing a consistent large package? :wink:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

And she certainly wouldn't be the first woman who pushed for a lot of attitudes about women to change who still doesn't see trans women as women to be included in that.

I feel like, all things considered, Simone has been better than a hell of a lot of other people at pushing for LGBTQ+ representation in her comics, and from what I recall her Batgirl had a pretty nuanced and sympathetic trans character. I'm glad she apologized and even though I'm still scratching my head at the exact wording of the apology she's built up enough trust with me that I'm willing to take it on good faith until proven otherwise.

I believe her that she hosed up by relying on a cheap, easy joke because it was cheap and easy, and didn't stop to think about what it really could have meant to some readers. I think that's a position she dug herself into but I also broadly think it's a position people can dig themselves back out of if they really want to.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I'm not suggesting that she's some horrible transphobe or anything like that. And yeah, she's one of the better ones in that regard. Just that, as often is the case, people ain't as "woke" as even they themselves like to think they are.

If anything, I'm disappointed because I feel I should expect better from her. But then we get into that whole mess of holding women more accountable than men when they gently caress up business, and I don't wanna go down that rabbit hole.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Spider... Sense... Tingling :spidey: ??

I recognise most of these rogues, but who is spikes mcwheelchair on the right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Spider... Sense... Tingling :spidey: ??

I recognise most of these rogues, but who is spikes mcwheelchair on the right?

Alexander Smythe. Creator of the Spider-Slayers.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

^^^^^:argh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alistair_Smythe

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are those the animated series versions of the characters? I don't think Smythe was ever turned into a gargoyle mutant in the comics.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like Doc Ock's 6 pack.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are those the animated series versions of the characters? I don't think Smythe was ever turned into a gargoyle mutant in the comics.

Yeah. You can also tell from Doc Ock's weirdly angular and over-busy design, and the mid-90s Young Vulture. That show had a pretty nice, crisp design sense for what it was, but gosh that Doc Ock design is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

^^^^ Double :argh::argh:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah those are def the 90s cartoon designs.