Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

spectralent posted:

A LOT of things have become popular based on giving a thematic outline to design unique OCs in (see also Homestuck trolls, Steven Universe gems, My Hero Academia quirks...)

None of those are good, except maybe the last one, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Infernals had a lot of cool ideas and hooks in them, but even the best parts were done with oddly fundamental player-unfriendly bits that all sort of go back to their origin as part of Michael Goodwin's home game. The degree of Yozi focus didn't need to be poo poo on quite so much by us when Ex3 was announced, but it was still probably a bad idea, and the way Devil-Tigers worked was barely usable.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

That Old Tree posted:

Infernals had a lot of cool ideas and hooks in them, but even the best parts were done with oddly fundamental player-unfriendly bits that all sort of go back to their origin as part of Michael Goodwin's home game. The degree of Yozi focus didn't need to be poo poo on quite so much by us when Ex3 was announced, but it was still probably a bad idea, and the way Devil-Tigers worked was barely usable.

That's true, but it was also extremely evocative and literally went "YOUR AWESOME OC IDEA GOES HERE".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
To me, one of the key reasons Infernal Charms appealed so much is that they entirely sidestepped Ability prereqs, so that you could put together a character thematically by Charms without worrying about having all the relevant Abilities at 5 first.

3e learned exactly the wrong thing from that, and just made the overwhelming majority of Solar Charms require a 5 in that Ability instead.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Roadie posted:

To me, one of the key reasons Infernal Charms appealed so much is that they entirely sidestepped Ability prereqs, so that you could put together a character thematically by Charms without worrying about having all the relevant Abilities at 5 first.

3e learned exactly the wrong thing from that, and just made the overwhelming majority of Solar Charms require a 5 in that Ability instead.

When I found out we would be doing a third edition "from the ground up" I immediately started working on relatively radical proposals like players defining their own skills and Charms reinforcing and being restricted by that, or paring the Ability list down drastically and doing away with Attributes, or more closely tying skills to Attributes like Trinity did.

Then our very first big development email thread was everyone arguing John out of reverting War to Brawl again.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That Old Tree posted:

When I found out we would be doing a third edition "from the ground up" I immediately started working on relatively radical proposals like players defining their own skills and Charms reinforcing and being restricted by that, or paring the Ability list down drastically and doing away with Attributes, or more closely tying skills to Attributes like Trinity did.

Then our very first big development email thread was everyone arguing John out of reverting War to Brawl again.
Exalted 3 should've looked a lot more like Scion 2. Hell I'd say you could just slightly adapt Scion 2 to play Exalted. Obviously you kind of need the Exalted fluff because otherwise just play Scion.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

That Old Tree posted:

:negative:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

The SJW enemies of Jeremy Hambly better watch out! His story got picked up... by Campus Reform, noted alt-right house organ. The Indy PD, on the other hand, could not possibly care less and have pretty much closed the case. THERE IS NO JUSTICE THERE IS JUST US.

Apparently Matt Loter has been delisted as part of the faculty for Quinnipiac University. There also was a police report submitted. So uh, clearly more than just nothing happened here, and if Loter really was the victim of a random frame-up then he probably ought to have done more than go radio silent and hope the whole thing blew over.

The way it looks is that Loter was just some dude with poor impulse control and some anger he needed to vent, and Hambly probably exaggerated the impact of it afterwards. It probably wouldn't have been hard to just publicly give an alibi and tell Hambly to gently caress off if he was just targeted at random.

Either way though I don't see this going anywhere beyond what's already happened; the last thing you want to do if you're going to sue someone is make a dozen youtube videos about it, so Hambly's clearly just taking advantage of all the attention. Not to mention that people like Eric Clanton only got three years probation and a misdemeanor for bludgeoning people over the head with a u-lock, so I don't see a few alleged punches and a torn shirt resulting in all that much.

Oh, Gen Con also posted this on FB

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 10, 2018

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Nessus posted:

Exalted 3 should've looked a lot more like Scion 2. Hell I'd say you could just slightly adapt Scion 2 to play Exalted. Obviously you kind of need the Exalted fluff because otherwise just play Scion.

Please no

Scion 2 was a mechanical garbage fire

Ex3rd is clunky, rigid and overlarge, but at least it *functions*.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Transient People posted:

Please no

Scion 2 was a mechanical garbage fire

Ex3rd is clunky, rigid and overlarge, but at least it *functions*.

You mean the new Scion by OPP that has the red and black pools and such? I’ve never played it or closely read anything but the core “Storypath” system, what’s the deal with it?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

...Isn't Scion 2 the new one which is like, actually functional and doesn't make every female god a stripper or whatever?

EDIT: Like, I don't think "was" is the right term for Scion 2.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Ferrinus posted:

You mean the new Scion by OPP that has the red and black pools and such? I’ve never played it or closely read anything but the core “Storypath” system, what’s the deal with it?

I have been running Scion 2 for a few weeks now and I have no idea what you mean by red and black pools.

Also, mechanically, it's pretty solid so far.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Neall developed Scion 2 and is writing for Ex3. He seems to feel that Ex3’s system is good for Exalted, at least when we talked about it after the devs were replaced, even if he wasn’t very fond of Holden or Morke going all the way back to Neph and 2E. He’s not really down with redoing Ex3 to be more like Scion either.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bedlamdan posted:

Apparently Matt Loter has been delisted as part of the faculty for Quinnipiac University. There also was a police report submitted. So uh, clearly more than just nothing happened here, and if Loter really was the victim of a random frame-up then he probably ought to have done more than go radio silent and hope the whole thing blew over.

Why speak out? That just risks all of Hambly's little alt-right chuds to swarm his social media accounts. Hambly is doing fine to hang himself with his constantly changing story and lack of proof on pretty much every level. Even the bar didn't care about its window supposedly damaged in the fracas, and as a follow-up, if Loter really punched it in a rage why wasn't his hand jacked up for the rest of GenCon?

The only trick is if he's really going to use this money to try a civil suit which could be potentially hilarious. He had an 'evidence gathering' livestream for God's sake.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Sion posted:

I have been running Scion 2 for a few weeks now and I have no idea what you mean by red and black pools.

Also, mechanically, it's pretty solid so far.

Maybe they’re called momentum or something now? The stockpiles of points, one for the players and one for the gm, that people could pull from for bonus dice or to fuel certain abilities. I don’t THINK I hallucinated this.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, Hambly's GoFundMe started by ComicsGate chud Ethan Van Sciver? Used to be 10K. Now it's a goal of 40K and Hambly is e-begging.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah that one

Among the problems it had were...

A) asymmetric offense/defense scaling. You roll your best resilience stat (highest of stamina, wits and composure or somesuch, I forget the names) vs the attacker's stat + ability. On top of that attacks usually have Enhancements, extra successes that apply if you roll at least one sux. It's trivial to start the game with enhancement 3 to your main thing. This results in most characters being made of absolute paper while bosses are untouchable due to having flat defensive successes in the 6-8 range. This means you spend an eternity whiffing til you fill up the momentum pool to cash it in all at once for a clean hit.

B) The book is a mess. Tons of Page xx references, bad organization, and rules that contradict themselves within the span of a few pages at most (grapple rules are noteworthy as an example).

C) Combat is super unsatisfying because you spend successes to buy effects for your actions...but the costs are insane, like 3 sux for a piddly effect like knocking somebody briefly prone. You're supposed to make your own effects if you need them, but the book provides no guidance on that front.

D) Specialties are stupid. If you get three dots or more in a skill you get a specialty...which *doesn't* apply to the skill whatsoever, but rather to other skills when it would somehow be relevant. With 5 players across like 7 sessions, the number of times specialties came up was a big fat 0.

E) Not enough legend points. You use legend to cast your godly abilities, but because you can't release commitments and have only 1 legend you spend a lot of time as a puffed up mortal. This might be more a taste complaint than a design one, but it absolutely sucked to do something like spend legend to ask who was the most likely person to start trouble at a supernatural concert and then be unable to use godly mojo when the troublemaker I'd identified struck out.

My GM also had other complaints like how our ability to automatically prone and shove people led to ridiculous fiction where we beat up sitting ducks in every conflict (who could still fight perfectly if they didn't move because this was such a great ruleset) or how the fatebindings system felt halfbaked and straitjacketing too. This is just the poo poo I remember off the top of my head.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Why speak out? That just risks all of Hambly's little alt-right chuds to swarm his social media accounts.

It lets Hambly’s story go uncontested, and for the most part the only people picking up on this are right wingers trying to poo poo on Loter instead of left wing people picking apart Hambly’s claims.

quote:

Even the bar didn't care about its window supposedly damaged in the fracas, and as a follow-up, if Loter really punched it in a rage why wasn't his hand jacked up for the rest of GenCon?

I don’t know. From what I heard, he wasn’t seen at Gencon after he was accused.

quote:

The only trick is if he's really going to use this money to try a civil suit which could be potentially hilarious. He had an 'evidence gathering' livestream for God's sake.

He really shouldn’t, but Hambly is self important enough to try. I’m pretty certain that if Loter really did to it, he’d have realized Hambly really wasn’t worth it given how it interfered with his life afterwards. If he didn’t? Then this poo poo is already spilling over into his career and personal life, they’re not leaving him or his business alone, and Hambly’s statements shouldn’t keep going uncontested in mass media. Especially if his removal from a University’s faculty is related to this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am running No Thank You Evil for 5 kids (5-8) on Monday.

Pray for me.

(NTYE is pretty mechanically wonky, but it's colorful and there's lots of cards with funny art and whatnot, and the theme is cute at least. And it's easy to play, so that's good.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bedlamdan posted:

It lets Hambly’s story go uncontested, and for the most part the only people picking up on this are right wingers trying to poo poo on Loter instead of left wing people picking apart Hambly’s claims.

Here's the thing: Chuds don't care what actually happened. They have a story they like, and nothing will change that. All engaging can do is further convince them how true their narrative is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Scion 2e has a really good setting, but my complaints about the system would be:

1) It felt like using target number 8 was terrible for a supposed hero, and I constantly failed even at tasks that I was supposed to be a superhuman prodigy of.

2) Having a single point of MP at Legend 1, which you have to commit to do basically anything, feels terrible and is terrible.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

Here's the thing: Chuds don't care what actually happened. They have a story they like, and nothing will change that. All engaging can do is further convince them how true their narrative is.

That's my feeling as well. They don't want discourse, they just want points scored. They're taking GenCon finally making 'yeah, we've heard about it and if something comes of it, we'll do something about it' - standard boilerplate - as a victory.

Also Hambly says he's paid 10K of the GFM money as a retainer.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

moths posted:

Right, it’s going to be the same whether or not he engages those people. But if he didn’t do it, then he should be trying to put his story out there, not for the benefit of the MAGA people but for the people who might want to support him. Because the only people reporting on this that aren’t already right wing partisans is the Indy Star which basically summarized it as “he said this and the other guy said that.”

I mean dang, if Loter really was picked out of a hat then he should be the one with the go fund me for a lawsuit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

1) It felt like using target number 8 was terrible for a supposed hero, and I constantly failed even at tasks that I was supposed to be a superhuman prodigy of.

So you'd crank that down to 7?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bedlamdan posted:

Right, it’s going to be the same whether or not he engages those people. But if he didn’t do it, then he should be trying to put his story out there, not for the benefit of the MAGA people but for the people who might want to support him.

No, he's doing it right.

Additional statements only open him up to additional scrutiny, and any microscopic inconsistencies will be leapt upon by the shitheads.

People who support him don't need him to say "nuh-uh."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
don't engage with bedlamdan, he-who-argues-in-bad-faith

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

So you'd crank that down to 7?

yea that's what my group did and it's fine. It is still a design flaw because someone during testing REALLY shoulda said 'hey 8 is a weird choice because we're eating poo poo like 90% of the time here'.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

moths posted:

No, he's doing it right.

Additional statements only open him up to additional scrutiny, and any microscopic inconsistencies will be leapt upon by the shitheads.

People who support him don't need him to say "nuh-uh."

All right. Either way this shitshow is going to go on for at least a few more months.

Arivia posted:

don't engage with bedlamdan, he-who-argues-in-bad-faith

It could be worse.

I could like Pathfinder.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently the 10K retainer makes more sense as Hambly's lawyer is the same dude who repped chud Steven Crowder who was claiming that Facebook was air-quotes censoring conservatives and also a pet-sitting company who tried to sue a couple for 1 million dollars for a bad review on Yelp.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The chud economic system working as designed. I figured there was a good chance Hambly would find a right wing adjacent lawyer happy to lighten his wallet.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Bedlamdan posted:

Matt Loter wasn't delisted from poo poo, chuds are just morons who don't understand that "local businessman who teaches an occasional special topics class" isn't the same as "professor on staff".

Even at large tier 1 universities, its not uncommon to have special topics classes taught by locals, the most common I'm familiar with being for languages, art, or business. They're not usually listed as faculty, either full or part time, they're usually just paid with some small flat fee as a one off thing. Quinnipac university is a smaller private school, and a quick look at their faculty roster is pretty standard for that size, a small core faculty, some part time adjuncts, and a few departments teaching various end degrees.

Right wing media is trying to boost this as some sort of "librul ivy tower elitist" because that sells better. The chuds are flailing for some sort of victory here, because the police report (which hambly originally claimed he filed that night, but which local news quoted the indy PD as being a delayed thing after he started hyping it on social media) didn't go anywhere.

quote:

The way it looks is that Loter was just some dude with poor impulse control and some anger he needed to vent, and Hambly probably exaggerated the impact of it afterwards. It probably wouldn't have been hard to just publicly give an alibi and tell Hambly to gently caress off if he was just targeted at random.

You're assuming this happened at all. Which, given that there were supposedly multiple eyewitnesses and the bar would *need* a police report to file an insurance claim on the broken window, is at best dubious. There's also Hambly claiming he had no idea who Loter was, and then getting outed on twitter getting all pissy about one of Loter's posts a couple weeks before Gencon.

In other words, the more likely answer is Hambly's an idiot who made the whole thing up, and is too stupid to stop digging.

Either way, there's no reason for Loter to engage, and a lot of reason not to. Engaging won't change the minds of any chuds, and gives a reason for Hambly to keep responding. Not engaging Hambly, who remember has already been banned from MtG for being a harassing assclown, while he keeps putting up posts of bullshit about this provides plenty of ammunition for Loter to ask Gencon to ban his rear end moving forward. Which I suspect may be as much the point of that Gencon post as anything.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Ferrinus posted:

Maybe they’re called momentum or something now? The stockpiles of points, one for the players and one for the gm, that people could pull from for bonus dice or to fuel certain abilities. I don’t THINK I hallucinated this.

Storypath more or less works thusly: You pick that you wanna do a thing, and you build a dicepool based on Skill+Attribute that you figure works for that thing based on your approach. Any skill can pair with any attribute, and it's all based on your approach. If you're searching a murder scene you can roll Empathy + Cunning to get into the killers head, Close Combat + Resolve to work out how the fight leading up to the killing went down, or Subterfuge + Intellect to search for something the killer missed in their attempt to clean up after themselves. You can use most skills + attributes for most things (within reason - trying to use manipulation + pilot in a fist fight will probably end with the GM going 'cmon, guy.')

There's a lot of 'yes, and...' in the game. If you roll more successes than were required, the GM tells you that you have extra successes hanging around. You can spend those extra successes on cool poo poo, like stunts, twists of fate, and getting a bigger degree of success. When you fail, you get a consolation - fateful encounter, chance meeting, unlooked for advantage. Momentum is used by anyone to Add Dice to a pool (multiple people can add momentum to a dice roll so that one-per-person thing stacks up.) Momentum is also used to give people doing complex actions a little more time, and to activate certain knacks/powers. Momentum is gained for failing (gain 1), failing on a specialty (1+1), and Botching (+2)

It's not a hallucination! I've just never heard of it being called black/red pool before!

Transient People posted:

A) asymmetric offense/defense scaling. You roll your best resilience stat (highest of stamina, wits and composure or somesuch, I forget the names) vs the attacker's stat + ability. On top of that attacks usually have Enhancements, extra successes that apply if you roll at least one sux. It's trivial to start the game with enhancement 3 to your main thing. This results in most characters being made of absolute paper while bosses are untouchable due to having flat defensive successes in the 6-8 range. This means you spend an eternity whiffing til you fill up the momentum pool to cash it in all at once for a clean hit.

This seems to ignore scale and powers pretty neatly. I mean, sure, if you ignore a core mechanic and your divine powers then yeah, granted, combat will probably be a bit of a challenge. Also in Hero (the most advanced book currently available), the average defense value is 4 and the highest defence value is 6 which belongs to The Kraken, which should probably be pretty hard to kill so I'm not sure where you're getting this 6-8 value from. Also, you can put enhancements on your defensive gear if you feel so inclined.

Transient People posted:

B) The book is a mess. Tons of Page xx references, bad organization, and rules that contradict themselves within the span of a few pages at most (grapple rules are noteworthy as an example).

Dude, the book's not finished yet. The Page XX references are because they're still finalising the layouts and don't want to have to track poo poo that's probably gonna get budged around. Grapple seems fine lookin' at the latest version of Origin. Roll a close combat skill attack against someone, spend an extra 1 success on establishing a grapple. Deal damage by overcoming someone's DV while in a clinch, 1s over DV to break free, 4s to deal bonus damage, 2s to pin, 1s to takedown and variable to throw/steal control.

If I'm missin' something gimmie a nudge.

Transient People posted:

C) Combat is super unsatisfying because you spend successes to buy effects for your actions...but the costs are insane, like 3 sux for a piddly effect like knocking somebody briefly prone. You're supposed to make your own effects if you need them, but the book provides no guidance on that front.

Knocking someone over is specifically 1 extra success in melee.

The book provides a pretty long list of example stunts, there's a shitload of knacks that talk about stunts, and there's also literally a half a page on stunts and what they've gotta do to be fair, and there's also an example of a stunt straight after that part of the book. That is just for combat stunts. You can stunt with basically anything, in any context if you roll well enough.

Transient People posted:

D) Specialties are stupid. If you get three dots or more in a skill you get a specialty...which *doesn't* apply to the skill whatsoever, but rather to other skills when it would somehow be relevant. With 5 players across like 7 sessions, the number of times specialties came up was a big fat 0.

Any skill that's 3 or higher gives you a specialty at character creation. Specialties generate momentum, and give +1 enhancement in other related skills. The book specifically calls out applying your expertise in, say, pistols under firearms as a 1-point Enhancement to other, related Skills, such as convincing a group of soldiers to buy pistols from Fenris Arms. Additionally, if she fails a roll in an Ability in which she has a Specialty (such as missing a character with a Firearms action) she gains an additional point of Momentum. They're also specifically called out as narrow fields of expertise but 5 players across 7 sessions sounds a bit like maybe your crew had missed the point of approaches? I am usually pretty hesitant to be like 'you are playing it wrong here' but I am comin' round to the idea.

Transient People posted:

E) Not enough legend points. You use legend to cast your godly abilities, but because you can't release commitments and have only 1 legend you spend a lot of time as a puffed up mortal. This might be more a taste complaint than a design one, but it absolutely sucked to do something like spend legend to ask who was the most likely person to start trouble at a supernatural concert and then be unable to use godly mojo when the troublemaker I'd identified struck out.

Spending legend ain't the same as imbuing legend. Spending burns that point of legend but it's pretty much always for big loving deal powers. Imbuing legend gives you that point of legend back straight away once a power has stopped occupying it. Also, regenerating spent legend points isn't exactly moving heaven and earth - accept a fate binding or sacrifice something (a garland of flowers at an alter to your divine parent, buy a goat from the farmers market and kill it, whatever works)

There's also Marvels that you can do by spending a point of legend if none of your purview's powers really line up with what you're after.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It really sounds like there is a basic misunderstanding or misinterpretation of how the system works here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sion posted:

Spending legend ain't the same as imbuing legend. Spending burns that point of legend but it's pretty much always for big loving deal powers. Imbuing legend gives you that point of legend back straight away once a power has stopped occupying it. Also, regenerating spent legend points isn't exactly moving heaven and earth - accept a fate binding or sacrifice something (a garland of flowers at an alter to your divine parent, buy a goat from the farmers market and kill it, whatever works)

So it's like (broadly) if I want my super Charisma, I move my Legend point there, but then if I want to have Super Strength I move my point there. And if I want to do something like slay the Nemean Lion, I burn that point and don't get it back until I spend XP for it?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Dawgstar posted:

So it's like (broadly) if I want my super Charisma, I move my Legend point there, but then if I want to have Super Strength I move my point there. And if I want to do something like slay the Nemean Lion, I burn that point and don't get it back until I spend XP for it?

Almost. You don't get it back until someone makes a sacrifice in your name or you accept Fatebinding. Regaining legend points doesn't cost XP - it costs XP to raise the permenant dot-rating that the points are derived from, like Willpower in WoD.

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 10, 2018

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Sion posted:

Storypath more or less works thusly: You pick that you wanna do a thing, and you build a dicepool based on Skill+Attribute that you figure works for that thing based on your approach. Any skill can pair with any attribute, and it's all based on your approach. If you're searching a murder scene you can roll Empathy + Cunning to get into the killers head, Close Combat + Resolve to work out how the fight leading up to the killing went down, or Subterfuge + Intellect to search for something the killer missed in their attempt to clean up after themselves. You can use most skills + attributes for most things (within reason - trying to use manipulation + pilot in a fist fight will probably end with the GM going 'cmon, guy.')

There's a lot of 'yes, and...' in the game. If you roll more successes than were required, the GM tells you that you have extra successes hanging around. You can spend those extra successes on cool poo poo, like stunts, twists of fate, and getting a bigger degree of success. When you fail, you get a consolation - fateful encounter, chance meeting, unlooked for advantage. Momentum is used by anyone to Add Dice to a pool (multiple people can add momentum to a dice roll so that one-per-person thing stacks up.) Momentum is also used to give people doing complex actions a little more time, and to activate certain knacks/powers. Momentum is gained for failing (gain 1), failing on a specialty (1+1), and Botching (+2)

It's not a hallucination! I've just never heard of it being called black/red pool before!

This seems to ignore scale and powers pretty neatly. I mean, sure, if you ignore a core mechanic and your divine powers then yeah, granted, combat will probably be a bit of a challenge. Also in Hero (the most advanced book currently available), the average defense value is 4 and the highest defence value is 6 which belongs to The Kraken, which should probably be pretty hard to kill so I'm not sure where you're getting this 6-8 value from. Also, you can put enhancements on your defensive gear if you feel so inclined.

Dude, the book's not finished yet. The Page XX references are because they're still finalising the layouts and don't want to have to track poo poo that's probably gonna get budged around. Grapple seems fine lookin' at the latest version of Origin. Roll a close combat skill attack against someone, spend an extra 1 success on establishing a grapple. Deal damage by overcoming someone's DV while in a clinch, 1s over DV to break free, 4s to deal bonus damage, 2s to pin, 1s to takedown and variable to throw/steal control.

If I'm missin' something gimmie a nudge.

Knocking someone over is specifically 1 extra success in melee.

The book provides a pretty long list of example stunts, there's a shitload of knacks that talk about stunts, and there's also literally a half a page on stunts and what they've gotta do to be fair, and there's also an example of a stunt straight after that part of the book. That is just for combat stunts. You can stunt with basically anything, in any context if you roll well enough.

Any skill that's 3 or higher gives you a specialty at character creation. Specialties generate momentum, and give +1 enhancement in other related skills. The book specifically calls out applying your expertise in, say, pistols under firearms as a 1-point Enhancement to other, related Skills, such as convincing a group of soldiers to buy pistols from Fenris Arms. Additionally, if she fails a roll in an Ability in which she has a Specialty (such as missing a character with a Firearms action) she gains an additional point of Momentum. They're also specifically called out as narrow fields of expertise but 5 players across 7 sessions sounds a bit like maybe your crew had missed the point of approaches? I am usually pretty hesitant to be like 'you are playing it wrong here' but I am comin' round to the idea.

There's also Marvels that you can do by spending a point of legend if none of your purview's powers really line up with what you're after.

A) I didn't ignore scale and powers. They just don't matter because you can't reliably raise Enhancement past 3 and even with a max pool (so 10 dice) the odds are not in your favor when it comes to rolling the needed amount of sux to do something (20% chance of 1 sux, 10% chance of at least 1 sux and possibly more - roughly speaking you 3 dice = 1 sux). Scale tends to make this even harder, in fact, by making characters without completely minmaxed pulls incapable of handling boss level opponents.

B) The book being finished is irrelevant. When your rules work in *different ways* according to what page you're reading, that's garbage. The guy in my group who delved into this had this to say:

quote:

The issue is that the rules for escaping a grapple as listed under the "Grapple" action and its Stunts are inconsistent with the rules listed under the "Grappled" Condition one paragraph above that. (There was also wonk with the fact that establishing a grapple costs 1 suc but escaping it costs sux equal to sux spent on establishing it, but iirc that was fixed in the final release)

C) The example stunts are garbage as well. Lemme show you how: you know about the Disarm stunt, right? It has a difficulty equal to the target's Combat skill. So say you have to beat a defense of 4 and their combat skill is 3, which is not unreasonable. That's seven sux to do a stunt - for a really difficult enemy, it could be 11 sux. If that sounds reasonable to you I've got a bridge to sell you. Or what about Feinting? You have to beat the defense, then get successes equal to the opponent's dodge, THEN spend two sux per point of enhancement you hand out (so say dodge is 3 and the target has defense 4 - that's *9 sux* to hand out 1 Enhancement). The rules are absolutely terribly written. What guidelines can you use when the example stunts require ridiculous values to grant minimal benefits?

D) Yes, thank you for repeating the book, you missed the point. Specialties didn't come up. As an example, my specialties were Sprinting (from Athletics), Swords from Close Combat, Unbreakable Promises from Integrity, Surtur Cults Giantkin from Occult and Buddying Up from Persuasion. Not *one* of these came up in a context that didn't pertain the skills they came from. Momentum came up, the enhancement bonuses didn't, ever.

E) Yes, imbuing is the issue. Take a look at Understanding the Battlefield, for example, the Boon used in the example I talked about. It lasts a whole scene and per Dev word, you cannot decommit the legend you spent on it. So the bad guy I was on the lookout for did a thing and oh whoops, I had no Legend to use against him, nor could I fatebind for more because it wasn't spent.

I feel like you don't understand the system match if you can't see why these things are issues. The rules had severe problems and, beyond that, they were also too simplistic to be fun to play with.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Did you spend Momentum freely? Because that seems to be intended to be the big way to add more dice to things, and to be done frequently.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Did you spend Momentum freely? Because that seems to be intended to be the big way to add more dice to things, and to be done frequently.

My teammates did, I generated it for the most part (I took a knack that allowed me to generate more of it, so the first time I failed to do something that was a specialty in any given scene I dropped three dice into the black pool, two dice afterward). The funny thing is I did not need it, because I had close-to-maxed pools for my gimmicks and Enhancement 2 or 3 for any given thing I wanted to do. The people who weren't ruthless optimizers like me had 0 fun because they kept whiffing and had to spend three or four turns' worth of black pool dice to do something. I myself didn't have fun because the stunt options were, as mentioned above, trash, so in a fight my options were pretty much 'just hit it with my sword and let the two or three extra sux I got go to waste because I can't feint, can't disarm, our enemy is melee so blinding does nothing, I autoprone because of one of my knacks without having to spend successes', et cetera et cetera et cetera. It was very, very unengaging.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I've heard a few people saying that the Geist dev left after the core because he couldn't stomach working under Paradox Wolf any longer? Is there any evidence that that story is actually true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

I've heard a few people saying that the Geist dev left after the core because he couldn't stomach working under Paradox Wolf any longer? Is there any evidence that that story is actually true?

He said something like that in the WoD thread, though it was a good bit ago. GimpinBlack, if you want to comb through his posts.