Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there a point to a 16 phase board like the upcoming MSI MEG, if you don't actively overclock? Everyone's saying that the CPU tries to get the maximum out of itself on its own, would anything beyond the usual 8 phases of the other crop of boards make a difference? The thing is going to run a 2950X, and likely a 3950X going forward, if they bump the core count per CCX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

TheJeffers posted:

XFR 2 is more about boosting sustained performance in multi-threaded workloads when you have high-quality cooling on the chip and/or favorable ambient temperatures.

What exactly is the distinction between Boost, XFR1, XFR2, and PBO? It seems like all of them more or less fall into the category that Intel would define as "turbo".

Not even Wikichip seems to have a good distinction of what they are.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cygni posted:

The Threadripper embargo is "unboxing only" to drive pre-orders for a August 13th release. So even though people have them in hand, they aren't allowed to post numbers before retail availability. Trash, AMD.

We are having pre-orders for chips that we aren't allowing anyone to benchmark :thunk:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
XFR2 is about the boost clocks OCing to meet the thermal headroom of the cooler. An 2000X chip with XFR2 is going to achieve higher boosts on a 280mm AIO or open loop than it would a 120mm AIO, which will get higher boost than a skimpy air cooler.

PBO is about core use VS power draw, and can up vcore into unsupported out-of-spec “don’t come crying to us” levels. Your average user can get basically all the OC headroom they used to have to endlessly test for simply by enabling XFR2 and throwing on a big cooler. Your average user shouldn’t touch PBO.

Most mainstream reviews of 2000X chips with X470/B450 (both an X chip and a 400 board are necessary for XFR2) go “yeah, there’s like no joy in DIY OC for most people now because this thing is so good at hitting the sweet spot for your cooler and going no further.”

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 6, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a point to a 16 phase board like the upcoming MSI MEG, if you don't actively overclock? Everyone's saying that the CPU tries to get the maximum out of itself on its own, would anything beyond the usual 8 phases of the other crop of boards make a difference? The thing is going to run a 2950X, and likely a 3950X going forward, if they bump the core count per CCX.

More real phases = better voltage stability. Voltage stability is always nice whether you're overclocking or not, it's good for component lifespan as well as overclocking. Extreme overclockers need voltage stability because they're also overvolting the CPU to an inch of it's life. So the voltage needs to stay rock-solid when it's already way out of spec. For just XFR or other basic overclocking that's not a problem, the CPU draws spec volts, the spikes and droops stay in spec, and the capacitors don't get overwhelmed by twice as much power draw as they were designed for.

More VRM parts = still worth something, as it distributes load across more parts and means mosfets are operating more efficiently. This has become a bigger issue with the popularity of AIO watercooling since the VRM heatsinks may not get much airflow.

That MSI MEG is using a controller with 8 phases, and IDK whether the phases are really doubled or just stacked 2 per phase. Regardless, if you're not planning to do extreme overclocking it's way more than sufficient. That thing was designed with the new WX 24 & 32 core parts in mind that might draw 300w if you have a huge water cooler.

If you're just going to use a 2950X and are positive that you will be sticking with a hypothetical 3950 or whatever other sub-200W part* in the future, you can totally get away with one of the "first wave" x399 boards. The MSI MEG's other gimmick is NVMe slots if you want a ton of those.

*edit: by "official TDP" numbers

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 7, 2018

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Combat Pretzel posted:

Boost clock ain't all-core on Ryzen, right?

Paul MaudDib posted:

What exactly is the distinction between Boost, XFR1, XFR2, and PBO? It seems like all of them more or less fall into the category that Intel would define as "turbo".

Not even Wikichip seems to have a good distinction of what they are.

I'm still kind of confused by it myself, but I can tell you how the 1x00 chips behave vs. how the 2x00 chips behave.

I had a 1700, and still have a 1600. Their base clocks were 3.0GHz and 3.2GHz, respectively. Given sufficient thermal overhead (which they had), both ran at their "all cores" boost clocks of 3.2 and 3.4GHz, 100% of the time, while being at 100% utilization. And while there would be variance in speed between cores, it was usually <1MHz.

The 2x00 chips don't have an all-cores boost clock; just base and max. I upgraded the 1700 to a 2700X last week, and its behavior has been...unexpected.

For the first 24 hours it ran right at its base clock of 3.7GHz. Like plus or minus 25MHz (and sometimes it was minus). I was checking so obsessively because I also switched from air cooling to water cooling, and I was really interested to see how effective that was. Over the past 4 days, the clocks have slowly been drifting upward. First I noticed that it was reliably above 3.7GHz. Then it was almost 3.8GHz. Then right around 3.8GHz. And about 20 minutes ago I noticed it cracking 3.9GHz for the first time.

Per-core speeds vary far more considerably than in a 1x00 chip as well.

code:
2700x                           1600                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
==============================  ==============================                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep MHz  $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep MHz                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
cpu MHz         : 3915.626      cpu MHz         : 3393.078     
cpu MHz         : 3915.627      cpu MHz         : 3393.079            
cpu MHz         : 3915.346      cpu MHz         : 3393.081               
cpu MHz         : 3915.351      cpu MHz         : 3393.077      
cpu MHz         : 3916.063      cpu MHz         : 3393.080          
cpu MHz         : 3916.066      cpu MHz         : 3393.076                        
cpu MHz         : 3904.438      cpu MHz         : 3393.079           
cpu MHz         : 3904.466      cpu MHz         : 3393.079                         
cpu MHz         : 3915.961      cpu MHz         : 3393.079          
cpu MHz         : 3915.961      cpu MHz         : 3393.078       
cpu MHz         : 3917.032      cpu MHz         : 3393.079              
cpu MHz         : 3917.030      cpu MHz         : 3393.076          
cpu MHz         : 3916.906      
cpu MHz         : 3916.908      
cpu MHz         : 3917.209        

mdxi fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 7, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Klyith posted:

More real phases = better voltage stability. :words:
Thanks for the info. I guess I can skip that expensive rear end mainboard. Thought it might also be an option for being an actual second version mainboard.

With the existing ones, it's always something. Either not 100% clear it supports ECC (due to lack of user testing), there being a Passmark difference (which varies from 24K-28K) or being plain Gigabyte.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

mdxi posted:

I'm still kind of confused by it myself, but I can tell you how the 1x00 chips behave vs. how the 2x00 chips behave.

I had a 1700, and still have a 1600. Their base clocks were 3.0GHz and 3.2GHz, respectively. Given sufficient thermal overhead (which they had), both ran at their "all cores" boost clocks of 3.2 and 3.4GHz, 100% of the time, while being at 100% utilization. And while there would be variance in speed between cores, it was usually <1MHz.

The 2x00 chips don't have an all-cores boost clock; just base and max. I upgraded the 1700 to a 2700X last week, and its behavior has been...unexpected.

For the first 24 hours it ran right at its base clock of 3.7GHz. Like plus or minus 25MHz (and sometimes it was minus). I was checking so obsessively because I also switched from air cooling to water cooling, and I was really interested to see how effective that was. Over the past 4 days, the clocks have slowly been drifting upward. First I noticed that it was reliably above 3.7GHz. Then it was almost 3.8GHz. Then right around 3.8GHz. And about 20 minutes ago I noticed it cracking 3.9GHz for the first time.

Per-core speeds vary far more considerably than in a 1x00 chip as well.

code:
2700x                           1600                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
==============================  ==============================                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep MHz  $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep MHz                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
cpu MHz         : 3915.626      cpu MHz         : 3393.078     
cpu MHz         : 3915.627      cpu MHz         : 3393.079            
cpu MHz         : 3915.346      cpu MHz         : 3393.081               
cpu MHz         : 3915.351      cpu MHz         : 3393.077      
cpu MHz         : 3916.063      cpu MHz         : 3393.080          
cpu MHz         : 3916.066      cpu MHz         : 3393.076                        
cpu MHz         : 3904.438      cpu MHz         : 3393.079           
cpu MHz         : 3904.466      cpu MHz         : 3393.079                         
cpu MHz         : 3915.961      cpu MHz         : 3393.079          
cpu MHz         : 3915.961      cpu MHz         : 3393.078       
cpu MHz         : 3917.032      cpu MHz         : 3393.079              
cpu MHz         : 3917.030      cpu MHz         : 3393.076          
cpu MHz         : 3916.906      
cpu MHz         : 3916.908      

So it's learning how best to manage it's own resources and power to achieve maximum boost clocks on it's own? I thought this was kind of established but not sure.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it the paste bedding in, or differences in ambient temps?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

EmpyreanFlux posted:

So it's learning how best to manage it's own resources and power to achieve maximum boost clocks on it's own? I thought this was kind of established but not sure.

Gonna be hell for the benchmarkers if they gotta wait weeks for the CPU to figure out where it can settle. It'd also be hilarious if a short heat wave spikes the ambient temperature long enough to reset the resting point so you have to wait for clocks to climb again.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Color me extremely skeptical. My anecdote is my 2600x on a giant air cooler immediately saw, and continues to see 4250 MHz in single and double core activity. Sits around 4000mhz well running all out, dropping roughly linearly as temperatures increase.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it the paste bedding in, or differences in ambient temps?

Gotta be one of those, or something in the water cooler like particulate being washed off the block microfins. Some environmental factor outside the chip anyways.

XFR2 is smart but it's not learning over time smart.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

EmpyreanFlux posted:

So it's learning how best to manage it's own resources and power to achieve maximum boost clocks on it's own?
This one takes weeks, the next gen will do this at a gemetric rate.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Klyith posted:

Gotta be one of those, or something in the water cooler like particulate being washed off the block microfins. Some environmental factor outside the chip anyways.

XFR2 is smart but it's not learning over time smart.

I must be combining this behavior with what I guess is the smart micro op cache function?

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

This one takes weeks, the next gen will do this at a geometric rate.

We as humanity 100% deserve whatever the collective of 3990WXs do to us

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I acknowledge that my clock checking has not been automated, or regular; it's just been me wondering "hmmm, what's it up to now?" It's an anecdote, and checking right now shows clocks around 3.77GHz, so it is fluctuating.

I tend to agree with the idea that it's small environmental factors. The temperature in my apartment is decently stable, but not perfectly so. The thing I'm surprised by is that there's so much thermal overhead available with this water cooler, but boost clocks on the 2700X have been relatively low. Under air cooling the 1700 was happily chugging along at all-cores boost speeds while running at 68C. The 2700X meanwhile, appears to be much more conservative with boost clocks when running at 55-57C.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Craptacular! posted:

XFR2 is about the boost clocks OCing to meet the thermal headroom of the cooler. An 2000X chip with XFR2 is going to achieve higher boosts on a 280mm AIO or open loop than it would a 120mm AIO, which will get higher boost than a skimpy air cooler.

PBO is about core use VS power draw, and can up vcore into unsupported out-of-spec “don’t come crying to us” levels. Your average user can get basically all the OC headroom they used to have to endlessly test for simply by enabling XFR2 and throwing on a big cooler. Your average user shouldn’t touch PBO.

Most mainstream reviews of 2000X chips with X470/B450 (both an X chip and a 400 board are necessary for XFR2) go “yeah, there’s like no joy in DIY OC for most people now because this thing is so good at hitting the sweet spot for your cooler and going no further.”

loving finally

OC is a way to get people to pay for a warranty but not have to pay out.

It always should have been automated based on sensor feedback and AMD finally did it.

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015

Cygni posted:

The Threadripper embargo is "unboxing only" to drive pre-orders for a August 13th release. So even though people have them in hand, they aren't allowed to post numbers before retail availability. Trash, AMD.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13123/amd-threadripper-2-teaser-pre-orders-start-today-up-to-32-cores

Also lol that cooler:

The x399 Zenith Extreme goes against AMD's guidelines by placing the first PCIE slot close to the CPU socket. AFAIK, the Zenith Extreme is the only threadripper motherboard that has CPU-fan clearance issues.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
At least Threadripper has the lanes to give you a second x16 slot if the first one is blocked! :v:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Malcolm XML posted:

loving finally

OC is a way to get people to pay for a warranty but not have to pay out.

It always should have been automated based on sensor feedback and AMD finally did it.
That’s because a lot of OC stuff is built into the motherboard. I was somewhat wrong in my post because XFR2 is built entirely into Ryzen, not into X470/B450, so you can use it with a 370/350 board instead. Precision Boost Overdrive requires 470/450, though, and you might as well buy one of those for better memory compatibility.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
A ton of Threadripper slides leaked.

The one that AMD probably wants people to see most:
https://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2018/08/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-2000-1-2.jpg

edit: Bugger, just checked it on my phone, and no timg. Changing to url.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 8, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:shittypop:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
should have gone with "render fast die young" imo

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If I'm going to stick a TR2 in one of the existing mainboards, pre-updated BIOS, will it boot but just not support all the boost features and poo poo, or not boot at all? I'm wondering because the X399 Taichi I'm looking at might require two updates in a row (something something bridge BIOS). While it can flash a BIOS without a CPU installed, needing a "bridge BIOS" kind of implies that it needs to boot it at least once to do its bridging poo poo.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I assume it'll be ok after all the updates as long as you don't try the 32c version.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

If I'm going to stick a TR2 in one of the existing mainboards, pre-updated BIOS, will it boot but just not support all the boost features and poo poo, or not boot at all? I'm wondering because the X399 Taichi I'm looking at might require two updates in a row (something something bridge BIOS). While it can flash a BIOS without a CPU installed, needing a "bridge BIOS" kind of implies that it needs to boot it at least once to do its bridging poo poo.
I'm pretty sure you can do the BIOS flashback without even having a CPU installed in the thing. I've done it on other Taichi boards, but they were Intel ones.

[edit] the VRM cooler on that board sucks. I'd probably try and cool it with an aftermarket thing. 11 Phases is super dreamy though... if it is really 11.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 9, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
R3 2300X and R5 2500X specs leaked:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13178/lenovo-posts-specs-of-amds-ryzen-3-2300x-ryzen-5-2500x

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

With the 2600 dropping to $160 on sales I doubt anyone is gonna put those two high in the care meter.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
I really want to try that 32core and Zephyr. I'm also glad marketing ran spellcheck on the slides :unsmith:

:getin:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Palladium posted:

With the 2600 dropping to $160 on sales I doubt anyone is gonna put those two high in the care meter.

For terrible enthusiasts like us, sure. On the global scale though, when you factor in much more price sensitive segments like gaming cafes, emerging markets, and prebuilts, the ~$100 market is incredibly important for AMD and has been since the K6 era.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I wonder how the 2200g will stack up against the 2300X since they are both 4 core 4 threads but the 2200g is normally $99. I guess maybe the 2300X could sit below that MSRP of $125 and maybe the slightly higher clocks will be worth it.

2300X - $110

2500X - $135

2600 - $160

That pricing makes a bit more sense to me, like others said with the 2600 at $160 a $150 2500X doesn't make a lot of sense.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

redeyes posted:

I'm pretty sure you can do the BIOS flashback without even having a CPU installed in the thing. I've done it on other Taichi boards, but they were Intel ones.
Yeah I know that. What's kind of irritating me about it all is that ASRock says I need to install a bridge BIOS first, and then install the one with support for the new Threadrippers. What's the purpose of the bridge BIOS, if I'm going to overwrite the flash portion immediately with another BIOS, since I can't boot the board up intermediately?

redeyes posted:

[edit] the VRM cooler on that board sucks. I'd probably try and cool it with an aftermarket thing. 11 Phases is super dreamy though... if it is really 11.
Seems to be the only board that spells out ECC in the open, and apparently even has some BIOS options regarding it. I'm more interested in the MSI X399 SLI Plus, of which I don't know whether it does it or not. It's VRM cooler seems nice. The MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC does ECC, even though the BIOS doesn't have anything about it, and its board layout seems to overlap the X399 SLI Plus to 95%, so there's an assumption to be made. But I'd like confirmation, which I can't find, because I'd put it past MSI to leave the memory traces for it out.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 9, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
As far as I can tell the bridge BIOS thing just means you flash that 'bridge' BIOS first. Let the board power up and throw whatever boot codes. Shut down and then flash the latest BIOS. I can't find anyone talking about needing a CPU to do it. I do know after BIOS flashback boot with no CPU, the board does a 2 or 3 reboot sequence and then idles at a no CPU code. It might be writing UEFI variable stuff during this time. At least that is my theory.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 9, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess I'll take my chances with the ASRock then. I prefer explicit than implicit ECC support.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess I'll take my chances with the ASRock then. I prefer explicit than implicit ECC support.

You could always email support and ask directly. They have decent support.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Combat Pretzel posted:

Asrock Taichi x399 supports ECC.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah I know. The taking chances was more about the CPU-less double flashing. The Taichi seems to be the only board explicitely supporting it, i.e. mentioning it as big bullet point on the product page and there's actually memory scrubbing and data poisoning options relating to ECC in the BIOS, whereas with the other boards, you're at the mercy of there being the necessary traces and the OEM not forcefully disabling it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Asrock Taichi x399 supports ECC.

Does the X399M too? Same/similar BIOS?

I know the full-ATX boards make more sense for a processor like that, but Asrock's mini-boards are just so cool :awesome:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 9, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Microcenter has 1950Xs down to sub $600. If you are buying a many core CPU yourself and not on the corporate dime, thats a drat good price and probably a better value than a 2950X at $900.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

x86 CPUs: The Intel/AMD Thread

It's been discussed before--and if memory serves me right--with positive responses. Nobody pulled the trigger.

If there are no serious objections, at 00:00 UTC Sunday 12 August 2018 (8 PM Saturday EST), AMD will acquire Intel (or something similarly improbable and official sounding) and I'll petition a mod to close the separate CPU threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
What would be gained with such a move?