Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't the book literally just printing old stories to keep up a monthly release when all that happened?

Not even that, the reprints were every 2 months (though that wasn't unusual given the comic started out at that schedule and then switched to monthly at some point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

The Howard the Duck vs. Hellcow story is reprinted in the Silver Surfer Vs. Dracula one-shot, published in 1994:

Neither Silver Surfer nor Dracula (nor Blade!) appear in the Hellcow story, but the lead story in the comic is a reprint of a Tomb of Dracula story with Silver Surfer (and Blade) in it.
Ha! Even when I'm wrong, I'm right! And I will never, ever get my comeuppance!

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

remusclaw posted:

How many issues were there of that? I thought Giant-Size was like a format for special occasions sort of imprint but, well, I just though maybe they would realize what they had with that title after one go.

I think it was less special occasions and more an experiment with selling comics with higher price points. Comics were taking a hit during the Seventies in part because newsstands saw them as not worth the effort to stock because their margins were so low. Giant-Size Avengers came out quarterly for a five issue run, and Giant Size X-Men was also originally intended to be a quarterly ongoing series. The first two regular issues of the All-New X-Men written by Len Wein would have been Giant-Size #2. The decision to take it bimonthly instead is why Claremont ended up taking over the book.

(Also part of what being Marvel EIC meant at the time is that you got to claim all the most prestigious freelance writing jobs, and X-Men was not one of those in 1975. Wein started writing Spider-Man instead.)

Servoret fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 24, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Was Marvel contracted to release a certain number of titles in the 60s and 70s? The thing where when a comic was failing they went to releasing copies every other month seems like more work than just cancelling it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rick posted:

Was Marvel contracted to release a certain number of titles in the 60s and 70s? The thing where when a comic was failing they went to releasing copies every other month seems like more work than just cancelling it.

My understanding is that this has to do with how newsstand distribution worked. It was easier to keep a title in stands than to get a new one in, so you’d run them every two months just in case you needed the spot. This was also why you’d see titles rename rather than just starting a new title

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Servoret posted:

I think it was less special occasions and more an experiment with selling comics with higher price points. Comics were taking a hit during the Seventies in part because newsstands saw them as not worth the effort to stock because their margins were so low.

Yeah, DC was doing the same thing back then with their line of "Dollar Comics" (64 pages, less ads for a buck).

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

My understanding is that this has to do with how newsstand distribution worked. It was easier to keep a title in stands than to get a new one in, so you’d run them every two months just in case you needed the spot. This was also why you’d see titles rename rather than just starting a new title

Also, Marvel and DC were in a war for shelf space at the time, so there were a ton of reprint titles released just to keep up volume. X-Men isn't the only title that got cancelled and went to reprint. Creators didn't get paid for reprints, so it made some financial sense to continue them without having to pay for more than maybe a new cover.

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't know how much (if any) credit Al Landau or Roy Thomas deserve for going 'hey maybe do a book with characters who aren't from America?"

Roy Thomas would like you to know that he deserves co-creator credit for Wolverine. He claims he specifically told Wein to come up with a short Canadian hero using that name. He still complains about not getting credit to this day. For example:

quote:

Not a big deal, but it really does irk me when all the credit for creating Wolverine is given to Len and John Romita, important as they were. I mean, I didn’t just mention that I’d like a Canadian character. I told Len I wanted him to make up a character specifically named Wolverine, who is Canadian and small/short of stature and has a fierce temper (like a real wolverine); if that doesn’t establish my bona fides as co-creator of Wolverine, I don’t know what does.

Also from him, pertaining G-S X-Men's creation:

quote:

The account re the creation of THE X-MEN is in serious error on one important detail. No way did Al Landau “charge” me to “devise a super-team of non-Americans.” He merely stated, in a meeting of Stan, him, and me and perhaps Verpoorten or someone else that if Marvel had a team of heroes composed of characters from various countries in which Marvel sold large numbers of comics, it might help sales there. The suggestion was tossed out to all of it. I immediately suggested the X-Men revival idea and, I suppose, was “charged” (encouraged?) to go ahead with it. It was Stan who decided I should go ahead with my notion, not Landau. I’m not trying to deny that Landau was the impetus, but his suggestion was vaguer than the book suggests.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 24, 2018

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Wasn't the book literally just printing old stories to keep up a monthly release when all that happened?

Yep.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Did Mike Allred do any Silver Surfer work before his book with Slott?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don't think so. Maybe for the Kirby Collector. He redid a Black Bolt pin up that looks just as amazing as the Kirby original. Probably the most iconic Black Bolt image.

Edit: Fudge. Don't know why those images aren't working.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 27, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You're linking to the imgur galleries, not the images. Here ya go.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Servoret posted:

Roy Thomas would like you to know that he deserves co-creator credit for Wolverine. He claims he specifically told Wein to come up with a short Canadian hero using that name. He still complains about not getting credit to this day.
That's kind of a weird one-two punch, though if he really did give Wein/Romita the full blurb/rundown about Wolverine he deserves about as much credit for his creation as either of them do. Which is weird in itself because Wolverine was a complete cipher until Claremont (and Byrne, and others) got a hold of him.

As for the "I wasn't told to make a team of international heroes, my boss simply pointed out that having a team of international heroes would sell well internationally and make the company more money, it was me who thought we should actually do this!" quote, I dunno. I will let Thomas take that win.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What is the most light-hearted/fun Punisher run? I don't think he'll ever get something like The Brave and the Bold but I'd like to know if he has something on the opposite spectrum as his MAX runs.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

What is the most light-hearted/fun Punisher run? I don't think he'll ever get something like The Brave and the Bold but I'd like to know if he has something on the opposite spectrum as his MAX runs.

Archie Meets the Punisher?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
space punisher

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Remender's was a good mainstream run with a ton of ridiculousness.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Post Civil War Punisher aka Punisher War Journal vol 2 by Matt Fraction is pretty goofy , espically the first 5 issues. Not sure how it ends.

It's the one with the gun that shoots knives

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Franken Castle

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Post Civil War Punisher aka Punisher War Journal vol 2 by Matt Fraction is pretty goofy , espically the first 5 issues. Not sure how it ends.

It's the one with the gun that shoots knives

It's also the one where Frank strangles an innocent woman to death because he can't resist the Hate Monger's powers so it's not all smiles.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Another vote for Franken-Punisher. Space Punisher is pretty good but not what I'd call light-hearted (for Punisher)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh i cant even remember what happens in space punisher i just think the name is funny

I am...the space punisher

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Frankencastle is good pulpy fun with a ton of monsters and robots and pulp serial-style fisticuffs-- it's as close as Marvel has ever gotten to following the Hellboy formula.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

site posted:

Tbh i cant even remember what happens in space punisher i just think the name is funny

I am...the space punisher

It's basically Punisher as Kirth Gersen from Jack Vance's Demon Princes novels, with him delivering ironic deaths to other Marvel characters who are all weirdo cosmic crime lord bad guys part of a group (called the Six-Fingered Hand) who have wronged him

It's almost exactly just Demon Princes but Marvel that I'm pretty sure that was what Tieri had in mind

Jack Vance owns so hard. I just want to make sure everyone knows this clearly

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 1, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read the start of Remender's run before Franken-Castle too. There's a bit where he kits himself up with stolen Avengers gear, but they're now decorated with Punisher skulls.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks all! I think I might have Space Punisher and Fraction's Punisher, though I haven't started them (my Comixology backlog is humongous). I wish I could find a copy of Archie Meets the Punisher, though. I used to own a couple of Archie digest books with that one in ads.

I should also start Cloonan's run. The previous one was rather bad I heard, and the writer's right-leaning politics bled into the page.

Is Punisher 2099 good? I keep seeing the no-jetpack-only-hate panel and wonder if it's really worth reading.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Schneider Heim posted:

Is Punisher 2099 good? I keep seeing the no-jetpack-only-hate panel and wonder if it's really worth reading.

Have you seen the panels where 2099 Punisher is talking to the psychiatrist and answers that his age is "38. Caliber." and then jumps out the window? Then you've seen the best it has to offer.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lightning Lord posted:

It's basically Punisher as Kirth Gersen from Jack Vance's Demon Princes novels
SOLD

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cloonans run is kinda bleh

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CzarChasm posted:

Have you seen the panels where 2099 Punisher is talking to the psychiatrist and answers that his age is "38. Caliber." and then jumps out the window? Then you've seen the best it has to offer.

Concur, if you want something similar that's worth your time read old Judge Dredd books or Marshall Law. Punished 2099 feels like a good 12 issue miniseries that goes for three times as long.

I've only read a few issues of Doom 2099 and would be curious on peoples thoughts on that, though. It seemed much more... out there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Gotham by Gaslight and The Doom that came to Gotham not included in the DC universe Mignola collection? It mentions some Batman stories in the details on Amazon but it's just numbered issues of Batman books (LOTDK #54 and Batman: Gotham Knights 36). Is it safe to assume that because those stories got separate releases they're not in the collection or did DC double dip?

I've heard amazing things about Doom 2099. What little I've read is good.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 3, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Those DC Universe ones are typically one shots. I bought both that and Doom that Came to Gotham recently and they're nearly the same size

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Is Gotham by Gaslight and The Doom that came to Gotham not included in the DC universe Mignola collection? It mentions some Batman stories in the details on Amazon but it's just numbered issues of Batman books (LOTDK #54 and Batman: Gotham Knights 36). Is it safe to assume that because those stories got separate releases they're not in the collection or did DC double dip?

Correct, they are not included because they have their own separate collections.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Was there a reason for why they made Azrael Batman after he broke his back instead of Dick? Either in story or editorially?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Skwirl posted:

Was there a reason for why they made Azrael Batman after he broke his back instead of Dick? Either in story or editorially?

Editorially, I like to think it was just the meta-commentary of replacing a classic "boring" character with yet another 90's style anti-hero, and why it's a bad idea.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

The Titans editor probably owned Dick as Nightwing as part of their fiefdom.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

In story terms, Jean-Paul had already helped Batman by putting on the costume and playing decoy a couple of times, and had been training with Robin. Editorially, Az-Bats was supposed to be a parody of Image-style heroes with their flashy armor, heavy weaponry, and contempt for traditional comic book morality. He was meant to be a foil to show that plain old Batman with his spandex, batarangs, and code against killing could still fit into the modern world. (The creators, particularly Denny O'Neil, said afterward they were afraid fans would actually like Azrael more than Batman. Not much risk of that.)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought in story Bruce pickled Az because he figured Nightwing had his own identity and had moved out Batman's shadow so no point in dragging him back in.
As a kid I thought it was kind of weird that DC would print letters from fans in the back of the Batman comics saying how much they hated Azbats and wanted Bruce back. Looking back it seems that they wanted to do this to prove their point.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I was under the impression Bruce asked Dick and he politely declined. It's been a LONG time since Knightfall for me though. Cause the entire thing around Battle for the Cowl is Dick putting off the inevitable.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I remember at one point Dick does get miffed that Bruce didn't pick him. They weren't on the best terms at the time but he says he still would have done it if asked. Because obviously Batman and Robin are 4 lyfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Selachian posted:

In story terms, Jean-Paul had already helped Batman by putting on the costume and playing decoy a couple of times, and had been training with Robin. Editorially, Az-Bats was supposed to be a parody of Image-style heroes with their flashy armor, heavy weaponry, and contempt for traditional comic book morality. He was meant to be a foil to show that plain old Batman with his spandex, batarangs, and code against killing could still fit into the modern world. (The creators, particularly Denny O'Neil, said afterward they were afraid fans would actually like Azrael more than Batman. Not much risk of that.)

I know that's what they say, but I believe part of that is a bit revisionist on their part.

If you read any of the stories with Azreal ad Batman, there is a solid attempt at writing him with a character and a consistent train of thought for why he does everything.

It's heavily flawed (he looks at being Batman like an engineer would. He makes the Batmobile a one seated tank to accommodate his heavier armour frame, because he doesn't have a sidekick. Missing the point that Batman needs to have a second person in that car. Be it Robin, Catwoman or a random team up.) But there is a genuine attempt at fleshing him out.

He wasn't some one dimensional character created to intentionally fail like how they try and spin it as afterwards.