Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Class action firm is going to make me an offer but didn’t yet give me specifics. They want me to start as soon as next week but I likely won’t be available until sept because of surgery on Monday. Still waiting to see what they offer pay wise.

Whatever you decide, congrats you deserved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Congrats, man.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Get paid, hope the surgery goes ok. Congrats, dude.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oh my god that guy's "defense" in the legal questions thread was basically prose.txt

his poor lawyer will not get paid enough for dealing with him

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Prediction

evilweasel posted:

his poor lawyer will not get paid

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm so mad he went with unclean hands and estoppel but didn't mention laches

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Clean hands, actually

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i do not see ONE REFERENCE to admiralty law here, you're fired

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Please keep trolling SV

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tipps posted:

In addition to our 6 weeks of vacation a year (with an extra week for every 3 years of seniority, capping at 16w a year), 2 bonus weeks off at Xmas, and strict 37.5h work week, we have the option to take 80% of our paycheque for 4 years and then have a full year off at 80% pay.

I love working for the government.

You need any California lawyers up in siberia?
I have a Canadian passport.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

Sorry cant hear you too busy loving my defined benefit pension

You'll have to wait until Paul Ryan is done doing that first.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
By virtue of being in-house, I have almost totally bypassed the drudgery of transactional junior associate work. Today I spent 4+ hours assembling signature packets. I feel the pain of transactional junior associates.

The new thread is amazing and seeing the Toona saga all laid out like that is just excellent.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

evilweasel posted:

oh my god that guy's "defense" in the legal questions thread was basically prose.txt

his poor lawyer will not get paid enough for dealing with him

I feel like I called it as to what kind of hellclient he is in the last thread, but we'll see.

I am loving it though.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Tipps posted:

In addition to our 6 weeks of vacation a year (with an extra week for every 3 years of seniority, capping at 16w a year), 2 bonus weeks off at Xmas, and strict 37.5h work week, we have the option to take 80% of our paycheque for 4 years and then have a full year off at 80% pay.

I love working for the government.

Is this a normal Canada government lawyer thing or specific to tundra law?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

SV you are a true hero and I hope you keep stirring things up in the other thread.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Arcturas posted:

SV you are a true hero and I hope you keep stirring things up in the other thread.

It's SVs only post in the whole thread.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It's SVs only post in the whole thread.

Generating a helluva return on that investment.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

GET MONEY posted:

Is this a normal Canada government lawyer thing or specific to tundra law?

Tipps might be working for a territorial government (all Canadian fed lawyers to my knowledge have the same union deal, and it only starts at 3 weeks vacation a year and caps out at 6 after 28 years of service). So most of that might be a tundra thing.

But the strict 37.5h work week part is my favourite anyway and that is definitely normal for government lawyers. I remember when I was newer to this job and would stay late to handle the usual junior counsel bitch work and management would literally hound me to make sure I documented it so I would get overtime pay.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 10, 2018

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Dallan Invictus posted:

Tipps might be working for a territorial government (all Canadian fed lawyers to my knowledge have the same union deal, and it only starts at 3 weeks vacation a year and caps out at 6 after 28 years of service). So most of that might be a tundra thing.

Correct.

The feds across the street have a much shittier deal than we do since their national collective agreement doesn't take into account northern cost of living and the "please don't go insane, take all the vacation you want please PLEASE" aspect of working in the north anywhere near as much as the territorial public service contracts do.

Also I lied. You cap out at like 8 or 10 weeks a year, but you can accumulate and use up to 16 weeks in a year.

Tipps fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 10, 2018

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Oh my God that really went off the rails.

Well done, SV, well done.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Today my company received an email from a terminated vendor’s “corporate counsel” that demanded we restore their access to our proprietary system AND give them the name, address, phone number, SSN, and photocopied driver’s license of the person in our company responsible for terminating their access. The “attorney” that composed it isn’t barred in the state, and it is likely that the business owner is pretending to be one.

Our legal department is not amused.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Today my company received an email from a terminated vendor’s “corporate counsel” that demanded we restore their access to our proprietary system AND give them the name, address, phone number, SSN, and photocopied driver’s license of the person in our company responsible for terminating their access. The “attorney” that composed it isn’t barred in the state, and it is likely that the business owner is pretending to be one.

Our legal department is not amused.
Time for this letter

https://deadspin.com/5716038/the-greatest-letter-ever-printed-on-nfl-team-letterhead

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm delighted by all the people jumping in to defend our guild against sv.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Link to this thread plz

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Look Sir Droids posted:

Link to this thread plz

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3266659&perpage=40&pagenumber=751#post486930504

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=746#post486721197 It starts here with the dumbassery.

Then on the last page SV strikes and things just get magical.

Eminent Domain fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 11, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ahahahahahahahahaha. I hope he gets goaded in to removing to federal. I’m sad he got a lawyer though.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Ahahahahahahahahaha. I hope he gets goaded in to removing to federal. I’m sad he got a lawyer though.

That doesn't apply. "Boise Cascade Home & Land Corp. v. Division of New Jersey Real Estate Com. in Dep't of Ins., 121 N.J. Super. 228" strongly rejects the idea that activity of employees falls under the exemption and thats stood since the 70's. Their actions wouldn't even pass under the earlier weaker decisions about the matter. The exemption applies to the bonafide owner not to employees of the owner. Even if the the owner is involved, employees that are also involved have to be licensed.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm gonna use my amazing government Westlaw to pull that cite for free.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I worked for a private attorney for like 10 minutes and the idea that Westlaw costs money is just shocking to me.
Like I couldn't work anywhere without unlimited unfettered westlaw or I'd have huge Bill's. And also not be able to look up poo poo randomly for no reason.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Google Scholar has it although it is not as easy to pull all the cases that have questioned, distinguished, or outright overruled it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ulmont posted:

Google Scholar has it although it is not as easy to pull all the cases that have questioned, distinguished, or outright overruled it.

it turns on a different section of the code than the one he quoted, that applies only to selling lots

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
oh hey, new thread. I haven't posted in a while but I'm happy to be added to the OP: I'm a senior associate in leveraged finance at a New York biglaw firm. I work a lot.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

nm posted:

I worked for a private attorney for like 10 minutes and the idea that Westlaw costs money is just shocking to me.
Like I couldn't work anywhere without unlimited unfettered westlaw or I'd have huge Bill's. And also not be able to look up poo poo randomly for no reason.

How long ago was this? Westlaw is basically flat rate now. You don’t pay per click to access primary law or run searches anymore.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

evilweasel posted:

it turns on a different section of the code than the one he quoted, that applies only to selling lots

Yes (I read the case off google scholar); my point was just that google scholar doesn’t have a Shepard’s / keycite function.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

We have Lexis Advance which is actually really good and easy to use.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

How long ago was this? Westlaw is basically flat rate now. You don’t pay per click to access primary law or run searches anymore.

Like 2010 maybe?
I'm getting loving old. 1 more year and I can qualify to be a judge FFS.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Soothing Vapors posted:

The biographies section is particularly well done and 100% accurate

gently caress that. Demi Moore looks like a more mature Actus Rhesus. Bitch is 20 years older than I am.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 12, 2018

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Soothing Vapors posted:

stopped posting for 3 years, still in the top 10

get on my level you fuckin trash

#8? That’s cute...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

in two (2) years i will reveal my practice area. prepare your disgust.

Trump policy advisor. Even I can’t government hack that low.