Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah that's where I saw the Atonement thing. I remember seeing Atonement when it had all the Oscar buzz but didn't realize it looked that much better than Dunkirk.

Atonement was one of the most dull movies I've ever seen. I only watched it because I had a thing for Keira Knightley after Pride and Prejudice and I honestly don't even remember what it was about and I watched it twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's about an infuriating teen that claims a dude raped another girl and ruins their lives

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Anyway, irrationally irritating movie moment: In almost every alien invasion movie, someone takes the time to ask "who are they, why are they doing this". That is 100% irrelevant, they are showing you what they intend to do. It's like an ant wondering what I'm doing and why when I approach their nest with a pot of boiling water. Stop trying to understand and run.

It's a very human reaction. In a situation where you know nothing and have no insight, no power, no idea what is going on or why, you reach for answers, you ask questions, even dumb ones, just so you don't lose your mind. You hope that by getting those answers, you regain a modicum of control over your life, you are able to ground whatever it is against something you know and it gives you comfort, something to hold on to.
I imagine even knowing, "they came from Betelgeuse" would make you feel better and that you'd share that information at every available opportunity to show everybody else that you are less upset and more in-the-know than they are.
:kingsley: "Oh my God! Why are they vaporizing all of our cats and eating our mailboxes!"
:crossarms: "Well, they are from Betelgeuse, so maybe it has something to do with that."
:hfive: "I strangely feel much better now and it makes no sense."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

It's a very human reaction. In a situation where you know nothing and have no insight, no power, no idea what is going on or why, you reach for answers, you ask questions, even dumb ones, just so you don't lose your mind. You hope that by getting those answers, you regain a modicum of control over your life, you are able to ground whatever it is against something you know and it gives you comfort, something to hold on to.
I imagine even knowing, "they came from Betelgeuse" would make you feel better and that you'd share that information at every available opportunity to show everybody else that you are less upset and more in-the-know than they are.
:kingsley: "Oh my God! Why are they vaporizing all of our cats and eating our mailboxes!"
:crossarms: "Well, they are from Betelgeuse, so maybe it has something to do with that."
:hfive: "I strangely feel much better now and it makes no sense."

I guess my irritation is more when they expect humanitarian arguments to work against non-humans. Like telling the alien you have children. Do you really expect them to just say "oh, I didn't know you could reproduce, let's get back on the ship guys". They are here to kill you, either run or fight. Don't be that guy that stares down an alien with a gun on their knees begging them to please not shoot them. Nobody likes that guy and he was probably the lowest paid guy on the cast.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

XCOM has taught me to fire wildly and miss constantly against aliens

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

There is no unwinnable scenario, only a distinct lack of firepower and/or Rookies with high explosives.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I guess my irritation is more when they expect humanitarian arguments to work against non-humans. Like telling the alien you have children. Do you really expect them to just say "oh, I didn't know you could reproduce, let's get back on the ship guys". They are here to kill you, either run or fight. Don't be that guy that stares down an alien with a gun on their knees begging them to please not shoot them. Nobody likes that guy and he was probably the lowest paid guy on the cast.

We have exactly as much evidence that a "humanitarian" (or we could say "empathetic" or "sentimental") argument WILL work on aliens as it WONT, and gently caress, if the choice is die stoically or take a punt that begging might work? Would be pretty loving stupid to have the whole human race wiped out because no-one realised the aliens wanted one single prisoner to symbolically apologise for landing the voyager probe in the middle of their territory or whatever the gently caress. if they are like us then an arguement to compassion might work. If they arent then we have no idea what will work and literally anything is probably worth a go.

Besides, by your logic surrendering to human soldiers and begging for mercy shouldnt work as they are here to kill you, but sometimes it does. And sometimes it doesnt, admittedly.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

SiKboy posted:

We have exactly as much evidence that a "humanitarian" (or we could say "empathetic" or "sentimental") argument WILL work on aliens as it WONT, and gently caress, if the choice is die stoically or take a punt that begging might work? Would be pretty loving stupid to have the whole human race wiped out because no-one realised the aliens wanted one single prisoner to symbolically apologise for landing the voyager probe in the middle of their territory or whatever the gently caress. if they are like us then an arguement to compassion might work. If they arent then we have no idea what will work and literally anything is probably worth a go.

Besides, by your logic surrendering to human soldiers and begging for mercy shouldnt work as they are here to kill you, but sometimes it does. And sometimes it doesnt, admittedly.

It depends on the conflict. If it's a situation like WW2 then I would say "never surrender" is the way to go 100% of the time if you want to minimize suffering.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

It depends on the conflict. If it's a situation like WW2 then I would say "never surrender" is the way to go 100% of the time if you want to minimize suffering.

kil u r self?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

kil u r self?

kill as many of them as you can and then chomp on the cyanide fake tooth you have for emergencies.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Unless, you know, you're German or Japanese or Italian. Then totally surrender 100% of the time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Unless, you know, you're German or Japanese or Italian. Then totally surrender 100% of the time.

I'm sure we did just as many war crimes on our POWs as they did to ours. imho never surrender should be the default in any war situation. People only care about the geneva conventions when they're put on trial for warcrimes, which is irrelevant to you, the prisoner. The war crime has already been done to you.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

RBA Starblade posted:

All it taught me was i'd need Ten restarts before i have a chance of suriving an alien invasion....

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

packetmantis posted:

I really didn't like Ledger's joker and I'm not sure why people are so enamored of it.

See, I absolutely love to Ledger's performance as the villain, but it didn't feel like the Joker to me. He was an amazing Mr. Anarchy or Captain Chaos or whatever the hell, but he didn't have the Joker vibe in my eyes. The Joker is a Venn diagram of the overlap between a psychopath and a clown, and Ledger was 100% in the psychopath range. Nicholson and Hamil are the two who did the best job at being in that overlap zone, while Romero is squarely in the clown circle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I'm sure we did just as many war crimes on our POWs as they did to ours. imho never surrender should be the default in any war situation. People only care about the geneva conventions when they're put on trial for warcrimes, which is irrelevant to you, the prisoner. The war crime has already been done to you.

The IJA was pretty well known for going above and beyond the call of duty for war crimes on POWs. Look up hell ships or their shooting of parachuting pilots.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm sure we did just as many war crimes on our POWs as they did to ours.

hahahaha no

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh my god, did I start this?

I'm so sorry, I just... I just want a good WW2 aircraft combat movie and like... I don't... there's other threads and...

*commits songoku*

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I'm sure we did just as many war crimes on our POWs as they did to ours.

We did not. It's not even close. It was far better to be a German captured by even the Russians than to be a Russian captured by the Germans.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I don't like when the first episode of a show is titled Pilot.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Gaunab posted:

They should just be self-titled. So the first episode is the show name, it won't be weird like pilot.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gaunab posted:

I'm 100% with you on that actually. There is something slightly irrationally irritating about looking at an episode list and the names are all clever or themed or whatever, but episode 1 is "Pilot". Once the show gets picked up and they are making more episodes just rename the pilot to something that fits the rest of the episode names!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I guess my irritation is more when they expect humanitarian arguments to work against non-humans. Like telling the alien you have children. Do you really expect them to just say "oh, I didn't know you could reproduce, let's get back on the ship guys".

Justice League sucked, but I did like that bit with Ledzepplin responding "why does everyone keep telling me that?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rydiafan posted:

See, I absolutely love to Ledger's performance as the villain, but it didn't feel like the Joker to me. He was an amazing Mr. Anarchy or Captain Chaos or whatever the hell, but he didn't have the Joker vibe in my eyes. The Joker is a Venn diagram of the overlap between a psychopath and a clown, and Ledger was 100% in the psychopath range. Nicholson and Hamil are the two who did the best job at being in that overlap zone, while Romero is squarely in the clown circle.

The Joker is like 70 years old now and has been everything.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

rydiafan posted:

The Joker is a Venn diagram of the overlap between a psychopath and a clown, and Ledger was 100% in the psychopath range. Nicholson and Hamil are the two who did the best job at being in that overlap zone, while Romero is squarely in the clown circle.

I think you also have to throw 'criminal' in that Venn, too. You could argue that's part of the psychopath thing, but just as often as not it seems like the Joker sometimes has to have criminal motives to frame this behavior. He could go out and just kill and destroy, but he'll rob a bank or a priceless piece of art, too.

I'm going to say the pair of not-Jokers that the Gotham TV show has been running with have been pretty damned solid Jokers, in their own ways, also. Gotham's a wildly inconsistent show, but it seems like it when gets its act together, it's amazingly fun to watch.

I've got another IIMM that's sort of movie related and I don't know how common this is because I've only heard it on few soundtracks and they're both from around the same time. Long story short, soundtracks that keep the movie dialogue or sounds on the album release of those songs.

I suppose a good example would be the Flash Gordon soundtrack or the Shock Treatment soundtrack where they kept non-musical movie dialogue and sounds as part of songs. I have a vague recollection, too, of some other late 70s/early 80s movie soundtrack that did the same thing.

Now, that all being said: I don't know if this is a result of there NOT being a good isolated audio recording of score/music that was saved and so they had go with the actual movie version when they released the soundtrack, if it was intentional to keep the 'movie feel' of the soundtrack, or what.

I think one example is I don't mind the inclusion of the rhyming dialogue scene for the the set up for "Duel Duet" in Shock Treatment, but instead of being a separate track or the start of Duel Duet's track, it's at the end of the previous song, IIRC.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Gaunab posted:

I give Lost a pass on this, since at least it had the monster killing the pilot of the plane

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In the Netflix film Extinction, why did the invaders look the way they did? Since they are just humans that came back to reclaim earth? Wouldn't they just be in regular space suits? It isn't like they're super future humans either - they returned fifty years after they left.

Also, do these androids just delete any memories of injuries or something? How do they not notice?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Panfilo posted:

In the Netflix film Extinction, why did the invaders look the way they did? Since they are just humans that came back to reclaim earth? Wouldn't they just be in regular space suits? It isn't like they're super future humans either - they returned fifty years after they left.

Also, do these androids just delete any memories of injuries or something? How do they not notice?

I was wondering the same things the whole time. It seems like one of those movies that wanted a twist and didn't care if it made any sense, ala m night.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Panfilo posted:

(Extinction) I just assumed that the resource situation on Mars had made the weird suits necessary

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Gaunab posted:

I'm still slightly irked that the first episode of Quantum Leap - the pilot episode where Sam leaps into a test pilot - wasn't titled Pilot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finally saw Fury Road yesterday and holy poo poo that was amazing.

Only thing that bugged me was how quickly they adopted and trusted the War Boy that had been after them and how quickly the one bride fell for him. I know they sort of had no choice but to enlist him but Max took longer to trust the brides than the guy who was trying to murder them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I also thought that went rather quickly, but it's kind of the point of it - the brides are compassionate and accepting even towards their enemies, and they recognize Nux for what he is, i.e. lost, manipulated, and cut loose from his tribe. For Max it's more of an arc, he starts out as a super utilitarian survival-above-all kinda guy, but he learns to open up and form actual bonds with people.

goddamn Fury Road is a great movie.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've not seen it for a while but don't the brides take a long time to trust Max?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah but he's actively hostile towards them at first, still a potential danger afterwards, and overall an unknown quantity. They know what the War Boys are all about, but Max is a total outsider.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

nexus6 posted:

I've not seen it for a while but don't the brides take a long time to trust Max?

For a moment I completely forgot the movie had a character named Max. He's such a non-entity in the movie despite having all the big action scenes. They could make a sequel without him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nexus6 posted:

Yes. And vice versa. Neither one really knows what the other one's deal is and everyone involved is tense and scared.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When physically impossible things happen just to do a jump scare on you. In the end of unsane, the bad guy is trapped in a padded cell and somehow not only manages to get out, but teleport ahead of the lady running away from him while also finding the time to find a weapon to bludgeon her with. There's no way that would ever happen. It was such an obvious setup too, like a normal person would have kept running once she was outside, but no, she stops to hide behind the first object she sees and checks to see if she's being chased. Always assume you're being chased. Get the gently caress out of there

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

I was wondering the same things the whole time. It seems like one of those movies that wanted a twist and didn't care if it made any sense, ala m night.

Barely any of the first hour and a half of that movie makes any sense at all if you consider the twist at the end. It’s all constructed to deliver that shocking revelation and never look back.

So the androids wiped their memories so they could “start over” and experience life as if they were human? I guess they just assumed it was a normal facet of human existence that no one ever aged in 50 years then, huh? Or maybe everyone goes in for mandatory brain wipes every couple years so they don’t notice that the preteen robots never enter puberty. Real idyllic society, that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

wizzardstaff posted:

Barely any of the first hour and a half of that movie makes any sense at all if you consider the twist at the end. It’s all constructed to deliver that shocking revelation and never look back.

So the androids wiped their memories so they could “start over” and experience life as if they were human? I guess they just assumed it was a normal facet of human existence that no one ever aged in 50 years then, huh? Or maybe everyone goes in for mandatory brain wipes every couple years so they don’t notice that the preteen robots never enter puberty. Real idyllic society, that.

I'm assuming it was part of the emergent programming that made them sentient. But in a lot of ways their mannerisms were like how a child mimics adults; they'll go through the motions but not quite understand the context of what they are doing.

For having studied the synths humans didn't seem to launch a very practical campaign. Why not use EMP weapons, metallic Archea type bio agents, anything you could deploy on a large scale. Dropping actual humans Planetside to sweep out every building seems like a really inefficient use of manpower, but I suppose it takes into the same issue with starship troopers.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mu Zeta posted:

For a moment I completely forgot the movie had a character named Max. He's such a non-entity in the movie despite having all the big action scenes. They could make a sequel without him.

I've mentioned this quite a few times about this movie before, but years ago there was reported Mad Max script (around 1999-2005 or so) that would established Max as having started a new family, but himself getting killed off in the first 20 or so minutes of the film, leading to his adult son going on the path to avenge them, putting Gibson in the film only a short period of time.

I still think WB might have been pushing to get the film made in such a way that they could actually have zero direct references to the Max character and set it up as the first part of a shared universe thing with a cameo in a post credits by Mel Gibson establishing the original Max is still out there, in this universe, and there would be more stories to tell from all over that world. (Hell, I think at one point, there was a fan theory the 'Max' of Fury Road was actually the feral child from Road Warrior.)

Something I never knew I wanted until I typed this post: A Mad Max/Conan crossover. Pre-history and post-apocalypse collide in the a limbo of created by future science and ancient magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My Extinction IIMM:
What is the purpose of having Android children? I thought humans made androids for slave labor.