Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Or maybe I like VNs

yeah deffo upset. u seem extremely het up by this i would recommend going for a walk weather permitting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Spicy hot take, apparently: I like strategy but not tedious and pointless micromanagement.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

Spicy hot take, apparently: I like strategy but not tedious and pointless micromanagement.

i keep this in the down low cause it makes people angry but... same.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You should play EU4 then, the game doesn’t really have any micromanagement.

Hell most paradox games don’t.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

move your armies from one end of the continent to the other without half of them dying from exposure

keep a revolt from cracking off using garrisoned troops

keep neighboring nations from becoming outraged and joining a defensive pact against you

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

move your armies from one end of the continent to the other without half of them dying from exposure

keep a revolt from cracking off using garrisoned troops

keep neighboring nations from becoming outraged and joining a defensive pact against you

also managing multiple armies over multiple fronts, plus making sure your navy isn't getting decimated while you focus on land,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah you do have to play them unfortunately but micromanagement isn’t really a thing.

Though HOI is apparently more micromanagement heavy but I don’t really play those.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Did you throw a tantrum like this when they added automated diplomats to EU4?

Or naval missions?

Or automatic rebel suppression?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think it's some sort of self-help thing like vision boards or whatever. If you repeat a mantra of "there is no micromanagement" then you convince yourself that there is no micromanagement? :shrug:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Coolest part of EU4: When you have Lithuania in a PU and don't have to smash rebels, don't have to fight wars, don't have to siege anything, just win win win

Worst part of EU4: when you integrate them

Having an HRE vassal swarm? Super fun. Having a giant PU partner (or vassals / marches) that do fighting for you? Fantastic!

The ability to take your own armies and have them do any of that poo poo? Total garbage! why even play the game if you aren't going to play it?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

considering I have in fact kept the hre unintegrated so I could just laugh manaiaclly while unleashing the vassal swarm on people while focusing on my own army as a sort of trouble shooter yes I agree to everything you've posted

I like making decisions and attempting long term strategy while shaping my countries character more than moving a bunch of armies around.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah that makes sense, and given that, perhaps a way to phrase the question is "what kinds of freeform objectives work with the gameplay and the setting to be viable with the game mechanics rather than at odds with them"

Surviving until the end is usually a good enough objective, because my go-to is to start as some one province count. Sometimes I wind up king! Sometimes I get holy warr'd and die a century in.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I really dig EU4 and Stellaris, I've tried to mess around with CK2 a few times but have a hard time getting into it

Is there a good summary or writeup you've seen of how to ... enjoy CK2? Being not very familiar with it, it strikes me as a sort of character driven Paradox game where you regularly have to deal with losing territory to succession, your kings getting sick and having their faces cut off, all that kind of stuff.

It would be interesting to play an intrigue, plotting, and scheming driven game like CK2, but I'm never quite sure what you're supposed to care about. Are you trying to get lots of land, or are you trying to build up cool heirs and a juicy court, or are you trying to do both?

It would be super cool if there's a good writeup/video or guide to read what aspects people find enjoyable or rewarding.

Watch the past few days of sips_' videos on twitch if you want to know how to enjoy CK2.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

uXs posted:

Watch the past few days of sips_' videos on twitch if you want to know how to enjoy CK2.

Serious post: I've really been enjoying Many A True Nerd's latest playthrough. Enough that I might actually give CK2 another chance (I am soooooooo bad at it).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
CK2 is more fun if you haven't mastered its systems, tbh. there's a sweet spot where you understand the game well enough to be able to form events into coherent narratives, but not so well that you stop seeing the people as people instead of rules-driven game pawns.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Wish they would make a expansion for HOI4 that was alternate history.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ExtraNoise posted:

Serious post: I've really been enjoying Many A True Nerd's latest playthrough. Enough that I might actually give CK2 another chance (I am soooooooo bad at it).

I looked this person up and I'm finding his videos hard to watch because he edits them to remove the slow moments. Sounds like a good idea in theory, but in practice, there's such a high density of stuff happening that it's honestly exhausting. I dunno how anyone can watch this for like an hour+ at a time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Crowsbeak posted:

I believe their next expansion for it, "Man The Guns", is going to include an alternate history path for the US which would include a second US Civil War and a Fascist option for Britain. I'm not sure if that is what you are asking for (I personally wouldnt mind an alt-history start) but with the existing options and ability to turn of Historical Focuses for the AI you can go alternate reality pretty fast.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I looked this person up and I'm finding his videos hard to watch because he edits them to remove the slow moments. Sounds like a good idea in theory, but in practice, there's such a high density of stuff happening that it's honestly exhausting. I dunno how anyone can watch this for like an hour+ at a time.

This is super weird to read because it's basically the opposite of how I feel about the channel. I like that he takes time to explain each system, like setting character focuses and what they're good for, and how levy systems work, and the different sucession laws, which is why his videos end up being over an hour long. The only slow moments removed are literally cuts when nothing has happened (that I can tell, maybe stuff is happening I don't know about?)

Either way, I was just happy to find a new channel that's not a super wacky character taking up 20% of the screen with their face and playing the game poorly because they're so focused on their streaming persona or whatever. Ugh.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Crowsbeak posted:

Next update will let you decide the paths countries take, so that should help

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I believe their next expansion for it, "Man The Guns", is going to include an alternate history path for the US which would include a second US Civil War and a Fascist option for Britain. I'm not sure if that is what you are asking for (I personally wouldnt mind an alt-history start) but with the existing options and ability to turn of Historical Focuses for the AI you can go alternate reality pretty fast.

one of the free features in 1.6 is scripted alt-history starts as options at launch, like fascist UK or constitutional monarchy Germany

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Challenge mode: alternate history options that aren't based on fascists, communists or the CSA taking over everything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Challenge mode: alternate history options that aren't based on fascists, communists or the CSA taking over everything.

Finally Feudalism time to shine

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Part of the issue for modders is that it's hard to do a detailed alternate history when it will require a major update in six months for the new DLC. That's part of why Divergences (and the Azeri LP) are the only ones I know of: all the LP mods for EU4, or Europa Gooniversalis, are obsolete.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cease to Hope posted:

one of the free features in 1.6 is scripted alt-history starts as options at launch, like fascist UK or constitutional monarchy Germany
Well poo poo, I missed that part, that's awesome!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

McSpanky posted:

i guess monarchists/revanchists don't count? dod had some alt-history monarchies

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Well poo poo, I missed that part, that's awesome!

yeah, it was in the most recent dev diary

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ExtraNoise posted:

This is super weird to read because it's basically the opposite of how I feel about the channel. I like that he takes time to explain each system, like setting character focuses and what they're good for, and how levy systems work, and the different sucession laws, which is why his videos end up being over an hour long. The only slow moments removed are literally cuts when nothing has happened (that I can tell, maybe stuff is happening I don't know about?)

Either way, I was just happy to find a new channel that's not a super wacky character taking up 20% of the screen with their face and playing the game poorly because they're so focused on their streaming persona or whatever. Ugh.

It's the parts where nothing happen that make these kinds of videos watchable for me. It's why I like DDRJake's videos, and why I liked some of Paradox's own video series. Those are super chill and easy to watch. Call me old, but without that, there's just too much happening and I struggle to keep up.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Morrow posted:

Part of the issue for modders is that it's hard to do a detailed alternate history when it will require a major update in six months for the new DLC. That's part of why Divergences (and the Azeri LP) are the only ones I know of: all the LP mods for EU4, or Europa Gooniversalis, are obsolete.

peace of god was the best alt history scenario, rip miscmods

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 8, 2018

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

Look, the Combined Syndicates of America are just trying to bring Syndicalism to everyone.

One thing I was thinking though for alt hist scenarios why not for instance Azeri tl as a full on pack, along with Kaiserreich.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Alt history: the Mongol empire never stopped.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nosfereefer posted:

Alt history: the Mongol empire never stopped.

Until the Aztec colonizers arrived, that is.

(I will never play Sunset Invasion)

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Majorian posted:

Until the Aztec colonizers arrived, that is.

:eyepop:
the war of the suns
e: i will write a turtedove novel about the nuclear war between the mongol and aztec empires

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 8, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

The cultural and technological renaissance happened in the south-east African trading republics, rather than north Italy.

The Great Powers of Africa are now scrambling to secure the rich coal and iron resources of Europe.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah, EU4 has flanking force whack-a-mole, carpet sieging, attrition avoidance pathing... this is all before you get to stuff like moving missionaries around or remembering to renew icons or whatever.

Honestly I like the individual fighting mechanics but the war as a whole in EUIV is such a massive pain in the rear end past a hundred years or two.

Extremely :same: for everyone who keeps a PU/march partner for doing all the boring poo poo while you focus on decisive battles.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

McSpanky posted:

i mean

it's still a game about a war you need an ideological driven great war to happen

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

chinese explorers dicover the vast silver mines of europe. centuries of brutal exploitation ensues

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

McSpanky posted:

The millennium dawn mod has a Monarchist party, and the AI for some reason almost always flips one or two major European powers that way.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Is millenium dawn at all worth playing yet? It used to be pretty loving dull

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

spectralent posted:

Nah, EU4 has flanking force whack-a-mole, carpet sieging, attrition avoidance pathing... this is all before you get to stuff like moving missionaries around or remembering to renew icons or whatever.

Honestly I like the individual fighting mechanics but the war as a whole in EUIV is such a massive pain in the rear end past a hundred years or two.

Extremely :same: for everyone who keeps a PU/march partner for doing all the boring poo poo while you focus on decisive battles.

Yeah, splitting and microing armies to optimally have a front-line of only cav(or only inf later), making sure arty goes in the right place, etc. is just miserable. They've done a great job reducing micro with a lot of the rest, though.

I'll go ahead and say it: I think if you allowed more internal politic stuff in EU, then making the army a little more automated would work wonders. Short of that, removing incentive to micro front-lines would be a big gain, since Paradox has explicitly decided they don't want to give you tools to control front lines either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I honestly think Vicky 2 is too long, at least at the end - it should run to 1920, not all the way to 1936. It doesn't really handle the rise of fascism and the world economy in that period as well as earlier, and the jankyness becomes more apparent. Possibly should start earlier, around 1820 so you get the full transition from the Napleonic and a bit more room for alt-history.

I think you could roll the start back to 1789 and have it be good. Definitely should end at 1920.