Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Brawnfire posted:

That white sauce (I'm assuming it's just mayo and sour cream?) is what really makes it sing for me. Same with shrimp tacos.

Ah, poo poo. Now I'm hungry.

Crema. Ideally chipotle crema.

You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Add a bit of the adobo sauce from canned chipotles.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

uPen posted:

Add a bit of the adobo sauce from canned chipotles.

...And inject directly into my bloodstream, yes.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I've always preferred grilled fish and shrimp tacos to fried. There's a place around here that make salmon tacos with a big hunk of grilled salmon in each taco, along with cabbage, radish, cilantro and chipotle aioli. So good

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Corn tortillas, cabbage, crema with whatever chili and herb and blackened shark is the best fish taco.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I once was in Nebraska and their idea of a fish taco at the taco johns was...

Flour tortilla
Fish stick
Lettuce
Chese
Tartar sauce

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

I once was in Nebraska and their idea of a fish taco at the taco johns was...

Flour tortilla
Fish stick
Lettuce
Chese
Tartar sauce

I mean, it's Taco Johns. That's like complaining about the quality of a hamburger at white castle.

The only reason you go to Taco Johns is for the potato oles.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Decided to make some old school food now that I had baked rye bread a few days ago. Almond potatoes, fried onions and fried pork belly, with a separate saucer for dipping the bread in (drippings is also the sauce for the potatoes). drat it's soo good with the crispy salty bits, beats butter every day of the week. Pretty sure I've posted this food before, I make it so seldom and it feels like such a big event everytime I make it that I photo it.

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018
I'm thinking of buying one of those air fryer devices, and seeing if it works anywhere near as good as a deep fat fryer.

Has anyone tried one of these things?

Can you stick a spiced and breaded piece of chicken in one of them and get something decent in return?

They seem to be fairly cheap these days, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I think my oven has a feature that works similarly to how air fryers work. Honestly, I'd rather have a device that could simultaneously cook my food, and inject additional water and grease into it to enhance the flavor profile.

Kinda like that thing in Back to the Future 2 that allowed them to hydrate/inflate a Pizza Hut pizza and make it delicious. That sort of thing wouldn't work very well without a grease injection, though, even if it had all the requisite spices.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

They're just a convection oven in a dumb shape. I would suggest looking into a convection toaster oven as they are a lot less dumb.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

SteelReserve posted:

I'm thinking of buying one of those air fryer devices, and seeing if it works anywhere near as good as a deep fat fryer.

Has anyone tried one of these things?

Can you stick a spiced and breaded piece of chicken in one of them and get something decent in return?

They seem to be fairly cheap these days, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I think my oven has a feature that works similarly to how air fryers work. Honestly, I'd rather have a device that could simultaneously cook my food, and inject additional water and grease into it to enhance the flavor profile.

Kinda like that thing in Back to the Future 2 that allowed them to hydrate/inflate a Pizza Hut pizza and make it delicious. That sort of thing wouldn't work very well without a grease injection, though, even if it had all the requisite spices.

I trust wirecutter a lot, and they hate them.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
shrimp and bacon with zucchini noodles and garlic parmesan cream sauce

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
lunch from today: khachapuri

dough:

cheese topping: milk/flour/butter + feta & mozzarella

pre-bake

into the oven at 450 for about 15 minutes, then take out, crack and egg on top, and throw on some butter. 3 minutes later:

stir that up

tear off some bread and dip in the egg and cheese

:discourse:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

kumba posted:

dough:

pre-bake

into the oven at 450 for about 15 minutes, then take out, crack and egg on top, and throw on some butter. 3 minutes later:

stir that up

Holy poo poo that looks good.

Meanwhile I made caprese pastries last night to eat for breakfast and snacks and such:

It was my first time messing with puff pastry so I'm happy how they turned out. I think I may add a layer of pesto or something inside next time though; as good as they are they are a little on the bland side.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Roasted beets, orange, goat cheese, sour cream, mint, ground cacao nibs and pistachios

Buckwheat blini, sour cream, smoked salmon, salmon roe, dill, cucumber

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 13, 2018

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

kumba posted:

dough:

pre-bake

stir that up

gently caress I want to make those, do I have to buy an electric mixer to make the dough or is there a cheap way?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Naw no mixer required, just a few minutes of stirring and kneading by hand does the trick

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

kumba posted:

Naw no mixer required, just a few minutes of stirring and kneading by hand does the trick

Grooooovy. I'll give this a shot sometime.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Now I'm a stay at home dad I'm trying to cook something different each night.

This week

Chicken breast stuffed with prosciutto, mozzarella and basil and wrapped in prosciutto

Lamb steaks marinated in herbs from our new herb garden

Chicken piccata

Coq au Vin with home baked bread (two attempts below)

iajanus fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 16, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Coconut rice with sambal, okra, sweet peppers and crispy shallots

Somebody teach me to garnish with cilantro. It looked so much better before adding it :saddowns:

Monday: chicken pozole

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

BrianBoitano posted:

Monday: chicken pozole

This looks good but is that a giant avocado or a tiny portion of pozole?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I generally eat small portions, so the latter.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

BrianBoitano posted:

Somebody teach me to garnish with cilantro. It looked so much better before adding it :saddowns:

Chop it more finely.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Chiffonade it with some italian parsley or chives etc, probably like 3:1 cilantro to parsley.

e: that's a ton of cilantro in the pic too I'd probably use half of that. Maybe you like it more which is of course fine.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks. I usually follow recipes verbatim, and that one called for 1/4 cup of "coarsely chopped" cilantro for 4 servings, so I'm pretty sure that's what the doctor ordered.

I need to learn to pause and actually think more while cooking a recipe. It saved me yesterday when a chili paste took 40 minutes to darken vs. the recipes 20-25 minutes, and today when I realized I should start salting the eggplant before making the tomato sauce, since the eggplant needed to drain for an hour. Following verbatim linearly would have me not even start that before 40 minutes of tomato sauce making. Yeah yeah caveat emptor always read all the way through before starting but drat I can't figure out that sequencing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks. I usually follow recipes verbatim, and that one called for 1/4 cup of "coarsely chopped" cilantro for 4 servings, so I'm pretty sure that's what the doctor ordered.

It looks like you dumped whole leaves on top.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It looks like you took an entire stalk of cilantro and "coarsely chopped" that. You're supposed to start with the leaves and chop those. I mean you can certainly use the stems too, but if you have entire leaves or leaves chopped only into two pieces, that isn't the intention.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I garnish with shitloads of cilantro too, most of the time I just roughly rip it up with my hands.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks all. I wanted advice on making it not look like lawn clippings on my dinner, and I think it'll look better following y'all's advice.

I will treat "coarsely chop" as "chop it more than once, dingus" from now on.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
“Coarsely chopped” to me means bunch it up on the cutting board and give it 5-7 cris-crossing chops of the knife.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

shark is the best fish

Shark (the right species) are loving DELICIOUS. I don't see it for sale in bay area fish mongers though. Is local shark not good eating? It's popular in Australia. Tasmanian Gummy shark beef battered and deep fried mmmmmmm.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

BrianBoitano posted:

I need to learn to pause and actually think more while cooking a recipe. It saved me yesterday when a chili paste took 40 minutes to darken vs. the recipes 20-25 minutes, and today when I realized I should start salting the eggplant before making the tomato sauce, since the eggplant needed to drain for an hour. Following verbatim linearly would have me not even start that before 40 minutes of tomato sauce making. Yeah yeah caveat emptor always read all the way through before starting but drat I can't figure out that sequencing.

My cooking got a whole lot better once I'd done enough "follow verbatum" where some stuff came out great and others came out crappy to be able to break down why I was adding certain ingredients, or why certain steps (like salting eggplant) matter to the final product. Reading about technique from this forum and other blogs/books was super helpful too. From there, it became a lot easier to tweak recipes that didn't seem right in either ingredients or technique, and eventually to cook great meals without using a recipe at all.

But yeah, reading the whole recipe first and then plotting out your steps and timing and have everything in place and ready before you need it is crucial.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ranter posted:

Shark (the right species) are loving DELICIOUS. I don't see it for sale in bay area fish mongers though. Is local shark not good eating? It's popular in Australia. Tasmanian Gummy shark beef battered and deep fried mmmmmmm.

It's mostly blacktip and silky in restaurants around here but people catch (poach) all kinds of sharks.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

kumba posted:

dough:

pre-bake

stir that up

Georgian food is excellent

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Attempted balsamic glazed chicken stuffed with proscuitto, basil, goat cheese, sundried tomato.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

kittenmittons posted:

Roasted beets, orange, goat cheese, sour cream, mint, ground cacao nibs and pistachios

Buckwheat blini, sour cream, smoked salmon, salmon roe, dill, cucumber

Beautiful.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

twoday posted:

Georgian food is excellent

The Parts Unknown episode where Tony B visits Tbilisi is quite rad.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Matsuri posted:

Holy poo poo that looks good.

Meanwhile I made caprese pastries last night to eat for breakfast and snacks and such:

It was my first time messing with puff pastry so I'm happy how they turned out. I think I may add a layer of pesto or something inside next time though; as good as they are they are a little on the bland side.

Bro you made totinos pizza rolls.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

ColHannibal posted:

Nah. The flavor and texture were completely different, they're much more dense. Almost like a small sandwich.

These used slices of whole tomato as well (I used a more meaty tomato because I figured it'd hold up better) rather than any sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

ColHannibal posted:

Actually, Bro made stromboli. Which is still awesome.